Lawyer Up Edition

Lawyer Up Edition

Malifaux (Including Ripples of Fate): mega.nz/#F!cg00BCoD!mDHocpgWP_hkkM3CpCBwrQ

Through the Breach (Complete): mega.nz/#F!Z9sVSYTS!U2J243KhVsUuOqAnsqTj4A

Book 1 - Basic Rules and first wave of updated (from 1st edition of malifaux) models
Book 2 - Second wave of updated models
Book 3 - Campaign system and new M2E models
Book 4 - Entirely new models

Discord voice chat for malifaux chat and memery: discord.gg/xWkuFRz

Through the Breach Fated Almanac - Basic rules for the RPG set in Malifaux
Through the Breach Fatemaster Almanac - GM stuff for the RPG

>What is Malifaux?
Malifaux is a 32mm Skirmish Tabletop game, with a focus on completing several different objectives, while denying your opponent their objectives

New Gaining Grounds Tournament Rules: themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/114900-gaining-grounds-2016/

Link to Kickstarter:
kickstarter.com/projects/1334239018/the-other-side-9

What Malifaux goodies did you lot get over the holidays?
Finally dove into a faction with Lynch, his theme enforcers, Beckoners, Lucius and a Doppelganger

Is Kirai a good pick for a newbie?
I've gave a try to Brewmaster but I got kinda dissapinted with his crew, I could not utilize is moon shinobi and fingers in any useful way.

I haven't played her, so grain of salt, but probably not. Her crew box is mostly unhireable summons, so you need to buy a lot of models along with her stuff to make her viable- even moreso than most summoners.

What happened to this game?

It use to be one of *the* major wargames. Up there with infinity or war hammer. But it just seems to have to died over night.

My friends and I are getting into Malifaux and I liked the way Leviticus looked so I picked up his box and a desolation engine
Are these things any good cause the other boxes I was interested in are Von Schill, Parker Barrows and The Viktorais

I don't know, it seems plenty popular around my neck of the woods.

Levi is a but harder to start than most other masters because of his huge potential hiring pool. If you'd like to play Outcasts instead of exclusively playing Levi, though, definitely pick up the Von Schill box and maybe grab Lazarus too.

The Freikorps Librarian and Trapper are both faction staples and make decent anchors for Levi's waifs, and Lazarus makes another solid anchor that will also play well with Von Schill's crew.

I'd also look at Johan, Big Jake, and Sue if you're interested in Von Schill and the Viks. They're all mercenary models (which is nice if you bring the I Pay Better Upgrade), and solid enough on their own to fit into most crews. They all also cost a few soulstones fewer than the high-end Outcast beaters like Killjoy, Bishop, and Ashes & Dust so you'll get to play with more stuff while you find out what you like.

Kirai is one of, if not the, strongest masters in the game. She's incredibly flexible between her summons, mobility for herself and her crew, damage, and the extra threar of Ikiryo.

That said, she's got a learning curve and she needs her whole summon pool to play with. Expensive $ wise since you need to buy her summons.

It'll be tough early on, but definitely worth it in the end if you can git gud with her.

It really seems to vary community to community. Seems like there's either a small, rabid fanbase, it's the main game, or in my case, nothing at all.

It's always been very niche, at least as long as I've known about it.

Well, they're all Outcasts so you can grab them eventually. Leve is kind of a finisher type, can go pretty much anywhere and kill pretty much anything regardless of its defensive abilities. Also he respawns when he dies, so that's nice.

Now that Lucius is awesome, who's tried him out post errata?

I suspect I'll be playing against him on Thursday, I'll let you know how I get on.

As people have said, shes expensive money-wise but she's really strong once you get the hang of her.

A downside is that goryo are a fucking nightmare to build.

Been tweaking a few different builds for him in a NB crew. Lucius now seems like the proper delegating asshole he was always meant to be. Not entirely sure about his power level yet, but the amount of tricks up his sleeve seem like a shitload of fun.

It never was as popular as Infinity and Warhammer. It started out at the same level as Infinity, but infinity had more "friendly", generic sci-fi background and managed to get itself in more of a spotlight (thanks to brilliant PR/online presence).

Now that he's been buffed is Montressor worth taking? I've got an old Daw sitting around I've been thinking about using, but if I can be a cheap asshole and just pick up a couple of Guiltys instead of his entire box I'd wouldn't mind.

What would be the shopping list for a prospective Kirai player without any current Resser models?

I figure...

Kirai box
Datsue Bae
Gaki
Shikome
Hanged
Drowned
Goryo
Izamu

for the spirit models, plus maybe Night Terrors, but what about other Resser models? I'm guessing Belles and Nurses never hurt, plus maybe... a Flesh Construct to summon out of? Toshiro for his buff aura? Chiaki or Philip & the Nanny just 'cause?

Thats surprising to me since the infinity community in my area seems to be at the same level as malifaux stl btw

I actually got into the game because Infinity isn't very popular near me, only garnering some monthly events, while Malifaux has strong weekly showings.

Is guild McCabe a decent starter army?
Usually like hyper versatile support types and, from my reading, looks like he may bring that.

The stuff in his box isn't super useful for anyone except McCabe, at least not to the extent that Family and Death Marshals are. However his box is a decent start. You should grab some Guild Hounds and executioners afterwards.

So i've been expanding out from a Seamus box in preparation for diving fully into malifaux and I have one question.

Is every model in this game super fiddly? I just assembled Bete Noire and I swear to god they were trying to think of parts of her that should be separate pieces. Trying to fat finger her face and second piece of hair into place is an experience i'm glad i won't be repeating. I know part of my frustration comes from mostly working with GW and PP minis in the past but this seems ridiculous.

Yes. Oh yes. They seem to be improving..at a glacial pace. Most kits are designed by the devil.

Having assembled like 1/3 of the MFX plastic range, I find them the easiest to assemble. GW is stone-age details with standard flash/mold lines the size of worst MFX ones, and PP... Don't talk to me of PP. Every single box /blister I've assembled had some casting fault (not counting standard flash/mold lines/feeds). Mold line cleanup actually worse than GW. And restic is the bastard spawn of Satan.

The trick is to keep cam. MFX models are fiddly (every now and then you find pieces like Yan Lo's beard, Abuela's hat, or somer's giant mosquitoes) and if you find it easy to get pissed off by a piece not getting properly into place for the third time you might have problems.
Also, have good tools. Precise clippers (none of that miniature-branded crap), sharp modeling knife for scraping lines (no filing), and most importantly, good plastic glue with a thin needle point. Also a tray that tiny pieces won't escape from. And for those tiny fiddly pieces that hate tweezers, poke them with a modeling blade's tip and use that to maneuver them into place.

(it might've helped that I do most of those on commission which prevented me from just chucking a few particularly nasty models out of the window before I learned my zen)

Also, what I wrote above may not apply to large kits. Some MFX models are badly fitting and/or have weird casting faults like pseudo-mold lines on the outside edges (that you have to scrape). I found that on Desolation Engine, LCB, Rail Golem, Ice Golem.

>And for those tiny fiddly pieces that hate tweezers, poke them with a modeling blade's tip
As an alternative, manoeuvre tiny bits using a sculpting or dental tool with some blue tak on the end for grip. Imagining all those nicks from blade tips in fragile fidily bits was nightmarish.

>and most importantly, good plastic glue with a thin needle point.

I can 100% confirm this. Assembled a few kits with glue from a tube so large my best option was to apply it with a not nearly needle pointed toothpick. It's a bad scene.

Had a question regarding misaki the other day. With her diving charge ability she can charge in combat and she ignores other models while charging. Does she still suffer disengaging strikes though if she charges out of melee?

Disengaging Strikes only trigger when you declare a Walk action, so no. Feel free to jump from combat to combat.

That's probably more than enough for someone who is just starting the game.

There's a good episode about her on Schemes and Stones that covers some of the typical models in her crew and how to play her.

Francois has a Mask trigger built into his Rough Riders, but neither any of his native abilities nor any upgrades use it.
What gives?

Future-proofing, in case of later upgrades.
There're a lot of those orphan suits around.

>Imagining all those nicks from blade tips in fragile fiddly bits was nightmarish.
Surprisingly, it doesn't mar the surface. At least to a level noticeable after (thin, airbrushed) priming.

Izamu and Datsue Ba first as you can't summon them but they're really good spirits.

It really depends after that. You generally don't want to hire what you can summon but you still need stuff to summon. Nurses and Rotten Belles work well anywhere. Flesh Constructs are really good for Kirai to use to summon off of as they have load of hit points.

When I started playing Kirai a lot of spirits hadn't been released so I started with Izamu, The Hanged and Nurses.

> Reading Into the Bayou
> Humans marrying Gremlins is canon

OPHELIA MY LOVE WE CAN BE TOGETHER AT LAST

Yea, after dling the stat cards wastrels seem pretty lame and his dog only really good with hounds. Sidir seems pretty great though.
What's the closest I could get to a versatile crew with mostly unchanging figs?
Like Reporters seem to be great at schemes and can turn into clutch counter schemers with their suit generator and the saber. Phiona also seems like she can kind of tank and burst when necessary. I like the idea of Anna spawning serpents to tangle up opposition and McCabe either buffing them where they stand or teleporting them wherever a quick burst of damage is necessary. Their healing is just gravy. Thralls look real mean and mounted guard prompting additional attacks seems great for putting on additional pressure without using additional activations.

I just want my crew to be able to hardswitch roles when necessary, but that's kinda difficult having not played a game.

Are they reproductively compatible and are the offspring fertile?

I'm just gonna say Yes on 1. and Who gives a feth for 2.

The game just keeps picking p more steam here in the Northeast. Our last league had twelve players. There's at least one tournament monthly within two hours.

CaptainCon, first week of February in Providence, RI, has 54 registered players for the Saturday Gaining Grounds.

The nightmare box is way cooler, and the contents are vastly stronger. It comes with two mounted guard instead of the wastrels. Huge upgrade.

A wastrel is a good buy. Sh5 with a + flip is pretty reliable, Cast Offs is useful and has some solid triggers, and if one has an upgrade attached you can card cycle. I would rarely run 2 and never more, but 1 is pretty much locked in when McCabe is involved.

Luna, 3-4 hounds, a Wastrel, 2 big beaters like a Peacekeeper/Executioner/Thrall/Judge/Grimwell/Ryle, and a Warden is a solid all around crew.

>Disengaging Strikes only trigger when you declare a Walk action
Oh okay. Didn't know that. Thanks man.

I feel part of the perception of malifaux as a smaller game than it actually is, is due to extremely small online presence. The general sometimes takes a few days to be reposted, the something awful thread still has an OP that references first edition before gremlins were a faction, and there is an extremely small number of channels doing batreps on youtube and none of them are anywhere near the quality that the warhammer or warmahordes community are putting out.

I think the problem with Malifaux is that you can't talk about lists because it depends on scenario and battle reports are a pain because of the complex interactions between models turn by turn and the model-by-model turnabouts would make the static cam "here is what I did in my turn" type reports annoying.

Gurilla Miniatures style hand held camera reports are probably the best method but Ash is a cheating dickhead who can't learn rules and the type of people who play wargames don't really have the charism or energy to pull them off.

That's what ive noticed as well. Malifaux is a game that is excellent to play and clearly a lot of people recognize that but it's a difficult to discuss.

I've been wanting to do Batreps, but I don't have it down yet. What's a good way to take notes so that it's useful and interesting to write and read.

What about something similar to /btg/'s challenges, where someone lists the available strats and schemes, and we come up with the best 50ss list we can, then other anons can critique?

>a selection of the available strats and schemes.

>I think the problem with Malifaux is that you can't talk about lists... and battle reports are a pain because of the complex interactions between models
This.
Written reports are irritating, since they're necessarily either practically a chess record, or basically narrative, neither of which are particularly satisfying to read.

>Geurrilla Miniatures style hand held camera reports are probably the best
Agreeed.
Rough Riders Wargaming and Encounter Wargaming both recently started doing decent reports, but in both cases the model range is limited (because they're normal), and EW are new as shit to the game.

>Ash is a cheating dickhead who can't learn rules
He's a bit sloppy (across many of his vids), but I don't think it's conscious cheating.
But he definitely has way too many rulesets in his head to play them all straight.

I was doing that with people periodically a month or two ago, but the threads are slow enough that it only really works at peak traffic time.
Also I am a Bonglandian, so I'm not around during US peak hours.

I'll dig out the map/scheme generator in a bit.

I got you user!
What does make a satisfying batrep? The only one that I liked was the one on youtube narrated by the players kid, since it had enough narm charm (bad attempts at german accents for Ramos) that it kept me interested.

I've been trying to figure out this as well. When I do Warmahorde batreps I take notes in shorthand then just type it out a bit more detailed.

One of the things I'm trying to figure out for Malifaux batreps is how to keep things clear as to who does what. I don't like reports that mix both players turns into a single section under a single "Turn #" header as I feel that they're hard to follow.

I think maybe using different text colours for each player might be best but I dunno if that'd obnoxious to read.

Another issue I have with battle reports is that there's no easy place to see all the cards without flipping through the pdfs so it's hard to follow unless it's two masters you know really well

Aye, that's the one - GodsWearHats com Malifaux Schemes.

I'll declare Arcanists and stick a list up at :30.

Arcanists
50ss Crew
Colette Du Bois -- 6ss Cache
+Arcane Reservoir - 2ss
+Cabaret Choreography - 2ss
+Shell Game - 1ss
Cassandra - 8ss
+Smoke And Mirrors - 1ss
+Practiced Production - 1ss
Howard Langston - 12ss
+Imbued Energies - 1ss
Mannequin - 4ss
Mannequin - 4ss
Performer - 5ss
Performer - 5ss

I'd probably take Convict Labour and Exhaust.
Deploy in the North-West.
Two squads of a hitter, a Performer and a Mannequin on each flank - probably Cassandra going East and Hank going South.
The Mannequins let the Showgirls throw Convict out (with multiply redundant Markers) very early and move up to run interference. They control the lanes to make sure Howard gets a decent charge and Cassandra can Swirl Of Motion back out of combat without getting coutnercharged, while the two of them cover the Stashes.
Colette uses spare Markers or summoned Doves to ping to whichever flank looks like it needs more Prompt support, while sending a Dove or two to the other flank for +flip support.

50 SS Outcasts Crew
Parker Barrows + 5 Pool
- Scout The Field (1)
- Hail of Bullets (1)
- Oath Keeper (1)
Doc Mitchell (3)
Taelor (10)
Sue (8)
- Return Fire (1)
Convict Gunslinger (7)
- Return Fire (1)
Woku Raider (8)
The Winged Plague (4)
The Winged Plague (4)

The winged plagues make it easy to get Exhaust off and there are enough minions that I could take Public Demonstration. Parker makes Convict Labor a very safe option and there's enough beatery power that I COULD do Show of Force, especially since Sue and the Convicts don't care about horror checks.

Parker would be going first to get a free push, oath keeper and drop hail of bullets where he could get two flips on people walking through OR force them around, switching to highwaymen to give Sue and Convicts free shots.

I don't suppose anyone knows what base size the Ice Dancers use?

I strongly considered taking a Trapper and putting him on a scoring overwatch perch, but I still can't decide if they're really worth the points, or just a huge crutch of mine.
If I did want to though, I'd take Joss with Imbued Protection instead of Howard Langston and one of the Mannequins to squeeze the stones out without decimating the cache.
If I did that Joss would be going East and Cassandra South, to give him a bit of cover one the way in, but the game would be way more centre-focused and scrappy.

I'm still very glad Barrows isn't out yet - he looks like some Colette-blocking bullshit.

I have played against Winged Plagues though (in a Hamelin crew). Huge pain in the arse.

30mm.

I was considering that, but since the strat requires being closer to the middle, I opted to focus my efforts inward.

Cool, thanks.

waiting for the otherside to get to 250k so the kickstarter will start moving again

Pic related is where I make the Stashes, so the rooftop is maybe an even better sniper perch than I'd initially thought.

I agree that that would be fantastic. I'll admit I've not been using trappers as much, favoring them for inspection (or to fake it). Just sorry I don't use the freikorpsmann more.

Had one game against lynch where one single handedly tanked Huggy and an illuminated from Bobbing and Weaving every turn.

His luck will run out when maskado man comes to play

Played with Colette, the ability to (0) out of engagement, take a (1) shot on built-in +ves, then Focus, and be prompted to take another shot on ++ve is pretty powerful.
If one thing about the Errata definitely does work, it's that you can't machinegun Focus-fire your snipers any more.

Neverborn user, I know who you are. Don't make me sic Doc Mitchell against you!

I like the look of Collodi, how decent is he with the stuff in his box?

Is he hard to play?

Battle reports aren't that hard to make, but the value to the watcher changes how the presentation should be.
The blog fiftyshadesoflevandjack is very straight forward and easy to follow, but doesn't give much reason for why he took the actions he does.
That's kind of the missing component with type of list simulations. The most valuable piece watchers can get is insight to choice, and people rarely give that in their lists.

So then, if a batrep were to show what was done and why...and maybe with question on what the result was it'd be valuable?

Think I might try that with my next vassal game. Still trying to think of a good blog name for a Viks/Parker blog. Best I came up with Gotta get the Scrip, Gotta get the stones.

Hey, I just started so this might be obvious but how the fuck am I supposed to know what models to buy if I can't see their stats until I buy them.

For example, Wokou Raiders look interesting, but 8 ss is a hefty price. How can I find out if I like what they do unless I buy the box?

I can't really speak to his box, but as for his difficulty. I would say he is one of the more complex masters out there. Learning his activation sequence is very important. Also learning all the in's and out's of his crew and how the buff sharing works can be another big tactic that's hard to get at first.

That being said though, if you like his looks and are willing to accept the fact you might lose your first few games then go for it. Schemes and stones has a podcast about collodi so give that a listen. However it was one of the first ones so I don't know if the info is outdated or not. Normally their stuff is really pretty good though.

The competitive community considers Parker pretty bottom tier. He's got some amazing tricks, but he was built for a game that isn't being played. He would have conquered the world in 2015 but his scheme marker tricks are barely relevant anymore.

I think reasoning is more important in a pure text battle report. To communicate that in a video would require more post production (maybe even commentary) and really only pursued after the primary goal of clearing illustrating the gamestate.

You forget to mention he is an absolute ball breaker when you get good with him. A well played puppet man is painful.

I can certainly see that, but I've found that he works for me. When I dropped Jack and Schill and focused on Viks and Parker, I've won more games and 3-0'd my first tournament win (winning me the emissary).

Course, that may be more he fits my playstyle than the scheme pool.

>he was built for a game that isn't being played

How so?

Many schemes used to count markers at end of game rather than end of turn. This is why models like the specialist are just fucking awful.

Parker plays like a master that really wants schemes to matter at the end of the game, giving him more time to fuck with them.

This. You used to need scheme markers for 3/4ths of the schemes, and you could screw with the plan as opportunity showed itself. Now, you need markers for like three schemes, and it's generally in out of the way positions. For some, you SPECIFICALLY have to spread them out.

Parker wants opponents dropping their own markers to score points, and then to prevent those points. In the average game in 2016, if your opponent is dropping markers it's deep in your deployment and they're pointless to pick up.

The stats are in the books. You can grab all the pdfs at the top of the page

Although, I think they're going to find a happy medium in the new objectives of 2017. A lot of models never really got updated for 2016 schemes and I doubt Wyrd is willing to just let them rot.

I suspect Parker will feel a lot more at home in those schemes, and why Collette needed a nerf before they came out.

>how the fuck am I supposed to know what models to buy if I can't see their stats until I buy them.
Download the books in the op or ask.

That doesn't seem great, an 8ss model shouldn't demand having more 8ss models for it work. Am I missing something that makes them worth the cost?

Johan.

Throw him into a scrum and have these guys as wave 2 to trigger Johan smashing out of turn.

Consider using this ability to get extra attacks out of your master, such as during a Misaki Recalled Training turn. A free relic hammer swing the s never bad. A free 3" push every time a scheme happens can really add up, especially with Parker. They're harder to remove than they look between bulletproof and no cheating. I'd expect one to be able to hold out an obnoxiously long time if you're willing to spend some cards on it.

What are some good malifaux podcast to listen to? Ive already gone through a good chunk of schemes and stones, and I'm downloading some arcane reservoir episodes.

On the other hand GG2017 is almost here, so maybe he'll conquer the world in a few days.

Show Me the Scrip?

Starting to really get the hang of the Brewmaster. Last game my performer did alot of work. Picking up headhunter tokens while engaged, and getting her paralyze off twice (once on mccabe off activation).
Are there any other mercenary models which synergize well with Brewie?

Can a summoner summon more than once a turn? For some reason I'm under the impression they can't but I can't remember seeing where it says no.

Not many mercs do the poison game, but models like Trappers or Envy are good for Obey/Binge to get more attacks in, Ama for her hazardous terrain bubble, Grimwell loves getting focus against enemies on - flips from Swill, Anna has some positioning utility, etc

Has anyone any leaks on GG2017 schemes changes?

They can.

Most summoners can, it'll will say in the action if it's once a turn, like Ramos.

Generally, with any action, you can unless something says you can't.

Summoning tends to be limited by the resources available - AP, card suits, card values and Stones.

My group has been testing them for the last month or so. They're nice.

any details?

It should be up early January. Scheme markers are involved.

>Ash is a cheating dickhead
It does my head in when he measures a 5" walk around an obstacle inch by inch, and then just picks up the model and moves it 7".