/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

>Latest News
Paladin UA is out! dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/paladin-sacred-oaths/
Be sure to fill out the survey on Monks
sgiz.mobi/s3/a6ca24df7196

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5emegaanon's super useful tools, check 'em out if you haven't yet.
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous thread: What's your favorite Monk archetype?

Other urls found in this thread:

5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/classes.html#Bard
media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_Bard.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

With so many different races you should consider adding the labels (MM, UA, Volo's) for where they come from like you did for other things.

My group is testing Kensei now. We reduced the Kensei weapons to one, but added an ability where you could spend 2 ki while flurrying to use your Kensei weapon instead of an unarmed strike.

My weapon is a Longbow. Shit's fun as fuck.

Open Hand is pretty alright, I haven't looked over the additional archetypes yet.

I played an Open Hand Monk with the Noble background as pic related. Worked surprisingly well.

Can I get some context for the kobold dragon hunting party meme?

I love the Dragon idea in particular!

I might use that one when they have started to build up a decent amount of knowledge.

A horde of Barbarians I might replace with a jealous Duke who doesn't like the idea of a group having access to so much arcane knowledge outside his control.

Thanks for the suggestions

I think ill use the Lich one as well, but at this stage (level 7-8) I don't think they are quite ready to take one on

What do you think of Hobgoblins having their own nation (Not-Japan), with their alignment changed to be "blah blah usually any Lawful alignment", with a caste system where Hobgoblins=HONORABRU SAMURAI and other "noble" classes, Goblins are peasants and merchants (Usually Neutral alignments), and Bugbears are the wild mountain men/mountain bandits you always see in Japanese media and religious monks (Chaotic alignments, Though more like Akuma than a traditional jap monk)

They seem like a shoe-in for the generic Japan expy.

Which feat is better for me?

College of Swords Bard
I got a scimitar and shortsword I use for two-weapon fighting, daggers for throwing, and I have my rapier in case I need it.

16 DEX and 16 CHA (+3)
Chain shirt which brings my AC to 15.

I'll have Defensive flourish to boost my AC occasionally.

I was thinking about taking Defensice Duelist to give me that extra +2 on armor almost every turn for at least one attack.

Any better ways to get higher AC or should I just take War Caster?

Sun Soul

Nothing like fighting the forces of Strahd as a superpowered fitness freak.

>Duke
Also good. That one was mostly for Doc Aquatic-ness.
>Lich
No-one says the lich has to actually be there; most players, on learning that a lich lives there, will get super cautious. It could be his summer home (summer... dungeon?) and he's not there right now, leaving the players to face a skeleton staff (I make no apologies for that pun) of skeletal maids, skeletal butlers, skeletal jesters, led by a trusted level-appropriate lieutenant. That leads in itself to further adventure hooks (diary entry mentioning his ... autumn house, aka another place with another rare book, or a revenge plot from the lich who sends minions at them from afar culminating in their invasion of the lich's stronghold once level-appropriate). They're not even mutually exclusive further plot hooks, though it could be a bit difficult to keep them feeling relevant if you have to string them out over a long time.

It's the work of a lone enthusiast

>What's your favorite Monk archetype?
Let's change the question a bit,
What the most USEFUL monk type?

Is it too much to ask to get a Monk Archetype that simulates being Fucking Akuma?

>Open hand for control
>Death for Temp HP tank
>Sun soul for endless raident damage
>tranquility for healin

it's called Tavern Brawler Barbarian with a Maul fluffed as fists.

So I want to play a tank but I don't want to be stuck making the same move each turn. What's a good choice here?

There's that one anons Monk/Barbarian archetype, its suitably overpowered to be Akuma.

Tavern brawler is just 1d4 tho.

Link?

I don't have it sorry

Bretty gud, actually!
You could throw in japanese racial prejudice, not being overtly hostile but generally looking down on/avoiding other races or cultures, (or just make it a donut steel island kingdom) to explain why the orderly and well-established goblin realm isn't overrun with hordes of enrichment?

Here, like he said it's pretty badly balanced. I haven't done anything with it in a while since I think it's inherently flawed.

Oh I thought it was a monk/barb multi class.

Psychedelic drugs to distract you from the crushing boredom that literally all tank gameplay entails.
Whether you're Bear Barb, EK, Battlemaster, Monk, or Paladin, regardless of whether you have Tavern Brawler or Shield Master, you will pretty much always be doing the same thing: standing near enemies and saying "i hit them" or "i grapple them" or "i shield bash them" and waiting for next round.

I guess with Paladin you can occasionally follow up "i hit them" with "i smite them" and look at a pretty number

That's pretty much all it is, Barbarian with Path features replaced by Monk abilities.

Yeah but I can't sell that to my DM.

Yeah I'm thinking Feudal Japan's Isolationist policies (When they're not invading/raiding other nations anyway since they're still goblins), with most of their wars being between their own country set in a "Warring States" expy.

Rather than being openly malicious about raiding/invading other lands they consider it a perfectly normal thing to do since they look down on foreigners, as far as they're concerned they're bringing civilization to those dirty barbarians.

That's why you ask the DM to let you use a Maul instead as fists.

So Maul attacks for "normal" unarmed strikes and 1d4 for unarmed strikes with a grapple.

>Lich summer home
This idea is brilliant! I think ill do it first up actually.

When the Lich finally returns to his home he will find out they stole from him and ill have him start plotting against them.

Which ties into them and the dragon as it might help them against him.

Thanks heaps.

Hey, 5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/classes.html#Bard -user

You're missing two Bard colleges. Glamour and Whispers.

media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_Bard.pdf

Also: Thanks.

Don't forget that if your party is feeling diplomatic they could also seek out the Lich and see about purchasing/trading for the book

Is shadow monk good for anything

Multiclassing with Rogue

magic initiate shield

Because as a bard you cast from Spells known, you can get that +5 to ac more than once per day

Are there any feats or abilities that would allow a Small character to ignore the drawbacks of Heavy? I don't mind if I have to stat pretty hard into it, but making a tiny barbarian is sort of boring if I can't have a giantass axe to go with it.

>Pictured: things a warrior cannot do in 5e

>what is acrobatics

Nothing.They are practically useless,if you do not count rp purposes.

>Pictured: things a warrior cannot do but a monk can in 5e

>monks
>bad at acrobatics in 5e

>What's your favorite Monk archetype?
Definitely Kensei.
Never even played one, I just like it.

>shadow monk
>useless

Choose one

I guess the best you can hope for is finding a consistent source of advantage and break even, also you will NEVER get advantage on attack rolls with this character.

Reckless attack gives you and you enemies advantage. To negate this, you can either try a hit and run style (with rogue 2 for cunning action or eagle totem) or get Patient defense for the bonus Dodge action but you would need ki points.

You can try mounted combat with the feat to get advantage

thoughts? Based off Crossbow Expert.

Throwing Weapon Expert

Thanks to extensive practice with thrown weapons, you gain the following benefits:

• You can draw one thrown weapon or improvised weapon as part of a ranged attack with thrown and improvised weapons with which you are proficient. (Or can you do this anyway because the weapon is being used as ammo?)

• Attacking at long range doesn't impose disadvantage on your thrown weapon and ranged improvised weapon attack rolls.

• When you use the Attack action and attack with a melee weapon, you can use a bonus action to attack with a thrown weapon or improvised weapon. You must have at least one free hand to use this feature.

• Some kind of damaging ability or precise aim ability?

And what are they good at again?Going nothing personell is not exclusive to them either.

Arguably the best stealth class in 5e.

Nah, that sucks cock as a spell. It only works when you're hit by a magic missile. So situatuational.

>+5 AC as a reaction for an entire turn sucks

WHEN TRIGGERED BY MAGIC MISSILE

It's usefulness is so occasional

REEEEEEEEEEEEEAD THE PHB

No, you can use it for any attack, Magic Missile is a special case mentioned because it's not an attack, but is still affected by the spell.

Mostly to play with people who don't bog the game down, and have a GM who designs good combat encounters and describes combat encounters well.

Someone post the "read nigga read" with the PHB image

I'm on my phone or else I would

Can you un-invite a vampire?

Quick question, anons; if I wanted to craft PCs for 5e based on the classes from Darkest Dungeons, what're my options in terms of class conversion, without actually homebrewing?

So my party just completed a major arc and defeated a giant demon in a city. However, my PC was killed in the fight (reincarnated by the town cleric but has Rez sickness or something) so I made a new PC.
The DM and I decided to introduce my new PC as standing atop the demon that nearly TPK'd us (party had to leave to Rez my PC) taking credit for the kill while the whole town applauds him. (The DM is going to imply that I'm rewarded better than them but I won't actually be. I'm actually only going to have one shitty magic item)

How would you guys handle this?

Dumbass.

Depends on the setting, depends on the lore of the setting, depends on the mythology/literature/media the lore of the setting is based on.

Historically/mythologically vampires were not the only supernatural threat that required an invitations. You can probably spin out that there was some didactic point to the mythological motif; be careful whom you invite in, because they may not be what they appear to be. The downside of hospitality, as it were.

Mostly, though, your question is stupid without context.

Looks like it's still missing a lot of UA stuff.

By fucking murdering you, probably.

I've actually seen this exact scenario happen a lot, and it never ends up going well.

My character would probably fucking hate your character.

Maybe if you go "no but ur pretty strong too, I think we should join forces and be stronger together" I could swallow it, but being a glory hog...

Tavern brawler and rage damage is about even with monks scaling unarmed attack. You won't be flurrying, sure, but there are other advantages.

Resilient (con) if your constitution modifier would go up. thats bonus health forever and advantage on constitution saving throws (which includes concentration). But I dont know your playstyle

well, its a two player game. I have a shadow monk with me so i wanted to have a little umph for combat as well (which is why i took sword bard).

Makes me want to play a pugilist with the noble background.

I'm going to introduce the party to the town as my henchmen (the character has met the party before but as an npc they rescued) but still just continue showboating to try and piss them off.

We have a pretty strict no PvP agreement in our group unless it's a consensual, non-lethal duel. I've already talked to the dm about when that inevitably happens and am about 75% sure that I'm going to annihilate any of them that challenge me. My old PC did, I counted, 90% of the party's damage so I doubt they could do anything about it.

The group is really shy and they need someone to lead them around by the nose, otherwise they don't get anything done. Every single one of them reviled my last PC but when he died they were tripping over each other to get him to a cleric because they're hopeless without me leading them.
Those are their words. Not mine.

Okay, nevermind. You're just a fucking asshole. Have fun being a cunt to your party, I guess.

>lel it's fine even if my party gets frustrated, they won't be able to attack me!
Uhh
>lol I did 90% of the deeps I'm the MVP of this raid!!!!
Okay jesus christ, you're just a fucking dickwad. Did you know it's a team game and not everyone's role is to deal damage?

this has gotta be bait

100% seriously.

When it comes down to it, there's nothing they can do about it and I'm literally giddy with excitement at the butthurt that is going to manifest into its own lovecraftian entity during that session.

>Did you know it's a team game and not everyone's role is to deal damage?

I totally agree with you, except for the fact that I take care of every single one of the out of combat encounters as well. It's bizarre. It could honestly just be a solo game, every time I try to let them resolve an encounter they just sit in awkward silence until I break it and do it for them.

I kinda love my group.

>100% seriously.
100% seriously you're a cunt?

You're not the kind of person who should be playing P&P.

I've DMed for every type of monk so far. The Open Hand player was the most effective. Its abilities work with each other better than the other archetypes.

They work pretty well as not-Ancient Rome too for many of the same reasons.

hold on wait, I only got like ten episodes into critical role, is that guy an asshole? He was one of the more entertaining dudes

That seems harsh. My dynamic works excellently within the confines of our group. I'm an awesome player and the others are just worse. If anything, they shouldn't be playing.

Stop letting your insecurities dictate your opinions. If your entire group was too scared or incompetent to do anything ever, you'd grab the reigns. That's all I'm doing.

- always trying to hijack other people's spotlight moments
- spending a fuckload of time trying to do his own weird plans that no one else knows about
- cheating on rolls
- cheating on spells slots and sorcery points
- metagaming about enemy abilities and more
- getting pissy when he doesn't get to do three things in one turn/gets CC'd
- trying to glory hog

Yeah, he's probably got a lot in common with cuntanon here.

If I grabbed the reins I wouldn't do it like a cunt.

Anyone have some cool ideas for builds or characters?

99% of what I play is normal Human Fighter stuff, because it's simple and I don't do well with making new characters for new stories.

I'm playing Princes of Apoc, so anything relevant to that would be cool.

Can someone stat a pitcher plant monster in d&d 5e for me? I used to use it in 4e, basically it would sink low into the ground and catch young women hunting in the forest unaware,so that they fell,into the pitcher plants innards and began to be dissolved. It was slow, taking place over 6 hours or more, so their deaths took a long time, and they were utterly unable to escape, the slippery walls providing no purchase for their desperate scrabbling. At first they should begin to lose sensation in their feet, looking down to realize much of the flesh on their toes and ankles is gone, replaced by raw blood muscle. This would drive them to struggle more, agitating the liquid and accelerating the dissolution process. It would also multiply their agony tenfold, exhausting them further until they eventually collapse, the acid burning their entire body, feeding on their soft innocent flesh, withering their beautiful rounded cheeks and melting their round shiny eyes. Before long the pain would recede as their nerves died ofd, and sheer fear would replace it, their heart pounding to pump blood to places where all the blood had drained, the women whimpering as they realized the end was near. Soemtimes two would be trapped in the same place and would try to comfort each other as they died slowly. Males would be caught in this trap as well, suffering the same fate, I but not as much fun to watch or describe.

Yes. That's bait!

>catch young women
Thats where i stopped reading
I was considering it before that
Why would a carnivorous plant care what gender it caught

Large Magical Beast

Large Magical Realm** you mean

holy christ you are literally retarded

Yes, it doesn't make you into a proper tank, but you suddenly become much tankier than a normal wizard. You don't need to be as tanky as, say, an Eldritch Knight when you're a full caster.

No, you don't need to go into melee range however. I mean, what's the point? You might use it instead of cantrips if it's not too dangerous, I suppose.

Honestly, I don't know. The low level ability doesn't seem too worth it, butthe later abilities sound sort of okay due to action economy.

"Plant" is a monster type. I'd give it a speed of 0, false appearance, and something like the Giant Toad's swallow ability. Maybe some sort of vines it can attack and grapple with, although that does increase the magical realminess even more.

The roper would be a good starting point too. It's very slow but it's built to be very hard to get away from.

Ah yes, use the tendrils from the roper.

Is there any reason not to use a heavy crossbow if you're a class without multiattack (but with Martial Weapons by default)?

dat reloading

Without extra attack that makes no difference anyways.

Thought so too, but just checked and it turns out loading doesn't spend an action:
>Loading. Because of the time required to load this weapon, you can fire only one piece of ammunition from it when you use an action, bonus action, or reaction to fire it, regardless of the number of attacks you can normally make.

So pretty good for a cleric of war?

Longbows have more range, and it's more likely you'll find magic longbows and arrows than magic crossbows and bolts.

ah, damn. then yeah if youre going for ranged i dont really see a downside besides having to worry about ammunition.

how do you cope with not having str?

Longbows got better range, small creatures can't use heavy crossbow, but that's it.

That's like monk^5 billion, this comes from D&Dwiki right? Holy shit, so broken

There pretty good at infiltration, they cover the stealth roguish caracter archetype. If you want that they excel at it

It comes from me, and yeah it's broken enough that I just scrapped it since there's not really any way to make it balanced short of making it it's own standalone class.

Figured I'd post it for them in case someone wants to try their hand at unfucking it, but that seems like a futile task to me.

>monk
>Jumping farther than 20 ft in 5e
>Flying
>Staying on water for more than 6 seconds