Space Opera settings

Do you know of any space opera setting that doesn't destroy your suspention of disbelieve?

A setting that conserve some of the stupid tropes but make them feel logical and sensible? Not bugggering with questions like "Why haven't they conquered everyone?" "Why those are not extinct?"

Also what are your favorite ones?

Every Space Opera does need chicks.

>Art Adams

My nigga.

To answer your question, OP; I do indeed know of a setting.

Do you like cowboys, OP?

Star Wars is the best Space Opera setting. It has the most room for player characters to do things without having to worry about stepping on the Canon's toes, and it's instantly recognizable to just about everyone.

The reason I ask is because I am creating a Space Opera Western (codenamed 'sow' for short) and it basically takes the most fun aspects of sci fi and makes them as approachable and as in depth as possible, without things jumping the shark and becoming a living animu. But if it's living animu elements you're looking for, I have stuff that caters to that interest as well, just maybe not in as full force as the other elements.

My goal with my worldbuilding and gamedesign is to allow the player to feel cool, look cool and NOT sound lame when it's all spelled out in an infograph.

What are some of YOUR favorite things about Space Opera? What would you like to focus on?

Not particulary but I'm intrsted in hearing more.

Star Wars is becoming Old-Hat, friend, even though I agree it is a very resilient setting -- too bad no one can write their way out of a paper bag when it comes to OC starwars stories. Also, have fun trying to "balance" jedi when 85% of your setup isn't about them at all.

Oh yes. Even star wars had those.

So are the best stories told in place between episode III and Episode IV with no jedi characters?

Well if you would like to hear about my project, I would be glad to discuss the finer elements over with you -- but If you truly don't care about flashy gunmen and the many ways that life is hard out on the Astro-Frontier for them while maintaining an adventurous spirit in the face of adversity, then I don't know exactly what you would enjoy in my original space western setting.

No takers at all, huh?

Back to the developement pool I go. See you guys next year with my 'official' release.

hmm... Let me think.

In general i'm the kind of guy who dislikes PvP while enjoying PvE and exploring the environment. So I would like something like Warhammer Fantasy: a fair amount of races but all of them well fleshed out.

Also alien chicks. If non of them are sexy it feels like serious sci fi.

Somebody once said original Star Wars was good because it was set in a frontier. A place not too heavely regulated where outlaws can still exist in numbers. Which makes it really close to a western thematicaly.

And I dig environment still posign a threat despite all technoligcal stuff the setting has. Be it sandstrom made of razor blades, a dawn that melts the planet surface every time, giant monsters. The wild is still soemthing to fight.

I dislike overpowered characters. Exploding planets with your psionic mind annys me.

Anyway this week I have little to do. Do you want a hand in fleshing out your setting?

Reading it now. I am intrested but a bit slow at answering. Please share.

Force sensitive renegades, yes. Jedi no.

>i'm the kind of guy who dislikes PvP while enjoying PvE and exploring the environment.

You would fit right in. I hate 'trash mobs' and I want the environments to have a broader impact on gameplay than most care to indulge in today.

Do you see that mountain other there? There's a dead ancient alien god within it's bellows,, and you can even share in passionate handholding with it's operator; if you so desired.

Well that being said, I think you're among my target audience. I want people to live a LIFE in my world, not just claim other's wantonly.

If you would like to stick around, I will dive deeper into this little pet project of mine. I have sketches made up of the items, characters, monsters, technology, vehicles, buildings, terrain and more -- they're all in various stages of incompletion, but once you get to know how they all piece together... I think you'll really come to like them.

BRB I have to run a perscription down to the store, but hopefully others will join us and bump the thread. Failing that, could you do something for me?

Ask me about the line of work that would interest you, as an individual, in a Space Opera. I will give you as robust an answer as possible.

bumping this once more before I leave --- see you guys in a moment

Frankly I'm down for pretty much any space opera or sword and planet settings and don't really worry about how logical everything is.

Everyone is so worried about keeping things logically consistent and giving answers for every detail that things become dry textdumps that kill all sense of wonder and joy.

BW yes there are alien species -- entire alien races are not used carelessly in my setting, I make each and every addition to the lineup feel fresh, offer a wide variety of cultural and biological independence and otherwise try to show how very different the HUMAN race is from them. There are plenty of transhuman options, however, if that floats your goat too.

If you're looking for a brand new totally unique and interesting aliens waiting for you in every door you walk through, a sort of flavor of the minute kind of approach, then this project won't satisfy that very much. However, each individual you approach can and WILL be vastly different, not just in nature but also in nurture.

At present there are three HUGE alien races, with a tremendous amount of variation between individual cultures and societies among them.

OH and, yes... there will be space babes, rest assured.

Capturing animals for Zoos or research centers.

Mostly live specimen.

And there is an abvious role people would ask about. Can I be a bounty hunter?

Why are they called "Opera" and what defines these setting exactly?
Honest question. I'm curious.

Give me some names. I believe I haven't read not mainstread space opera settings.

>Why are they called "Opera"
Originaly cause the plot was as stupid, clichéd and formulaic as in a Soap Opera.

So maybe me searching for a logical setting is a hopeless chase. Some thing need to be stupid to be awesome.

I am interested so far, though I've never had the chance to do sci-fi. My friend group that I DM is pretty set on fantasy and I'm still on a hiatus from my Skype group until the holidays are over and my bro leaves for Japan. Thankfully, Skype group is starting up a shadowrun campaign so hopefully I can get in on that.

>Everyone is so worried about keeping things logically consistent and giving answers for every detail that things become dry textdumps that kill all sense of wonder and joy.

Ah yes, the opposite side of this coin... You see, I believe in a different kind of design philosophy. I think each individual element presented to the audience and or player should stand up entirely on it's own, without a lengthy text document attached to explain WHY it's cool. I want something that looks cool and acts cool to simply be COOL, but it is my very unique talents that allow me to create an object out of thin air, and within a reasonable time explain logically how it does infact exist in my setting. How do I accomplish this? Well, it takes literal years, as I have been working on individual projects for long stretches of time -- but if you can successfully construct a FOUNDATION for which you build off of? I feel like the rest of the pieces fall into place soon after.

In short: Persons, places, things; all of these are entirely rich in visuals and backstories, but they will only be as relevant to the person that interacts with them, and how they do so.

If you WANT to know more, I have more to share with you. If you are simply comfortable with the fact that something is COOL and nothing more, then you need not peel back the surface layer. There's choices in all things in life, such as how much you become involved with a hobby.

Now then, I have achieved a sound foundation for the current project that I am speaking of, and I'm preparing to share it with the world soon. It has taken me all of 5 years, but it is finally ready. Next year, I introduce the rest of the world to my own, and it will be glorious.

Have you finished jerking off yet?

Gimmie like 20 min, friendo

The only books I have read with the description "Space Opera" was Scott Westerfelds Succession series.
Scott Westerfeld writes books for "young adults", so keep that in mind... I actually like the universe, because, unlike Starwars and such, The technology fits in better, with how our current technology would evolve when going into the future. Theres more nano tech, body modification/upgrading and Ai systems.. And no planets with laser and hover tech, but people living mud huts..
The books aren't amazing, but the universe is pretty interesting.

Merry christmas.

I've seen all of those movies.

And if you are wondering, then yes. Santa does exist in space and he is Soviet.

Instead of telling us that your project is cool, and then chiding us for not chomping at the bit over it, consider showing, not telling.

Hip-fire round

Yes, there are plenty of opportunities to hunt down outstanding warrants, bounties, pastdue rentals and even repossession of personal property -- by any means necessary, unless you care at all about operating within the laws of the lands.

Each planet will offer all of this, but with a fundamental twist to how much the authorities respond to improvisation/accidental destruction of acquisitions, as well as how they will reward you for a job well botched. How you abide by or subvert the native law of each world is within your own god given rights, just don't cry out for justice when you're looking at a life sentence working as a chambermaid to said Governess as penance.

See that really unstable fat guy over there? You have a licensee to kill him. But watch out, because he's sleeping with the governor's wife, and she sets the laws of the brothel you've just busted into, all without probable cause.

One of the hallmarks of my setting is Biological diversity. What I mean by this is that you will be visiting alien, unexplored locations, potentially discovering lifeforms that were previous thought to be an urban myth that was carved into the glass-rockface that lines the lightning canyons of the planet Aufwolt. You will be faces with harsh and hostile living conditions, but fret not because your trusty pack mule will carry your mobile laboratory, where you can conduct all manner of experimentation on bio-mass that is yet unclaimed and has no existing legal proclemation. If you make nice with a settlement that's located nearby the canyons, you can spend an entire lifetime of researching all of it's many wonders, quite possibly building your collection of exotic animal goods.

Failing that, you can just be a trapper/hunter and sell the invaluable resources these critters offer to someone who WILL build a biological empire off of.

All of this depends on how ambitious and or how passionate you are about them.

Well I am running a game on Roll 20, if any or all would be interested in playing a character within my setting.

At the very least, character creation and costume design are fun enough to do, even if you plan to do light role playing or just want to feel like you're a part of something bigger.

>So are the best stories told in place between episode III and Episode IV with no jedi characters?

As made self-evident by the recent motion picture, perhaps.

Mass Effect, as presented in the Codex and the other expanded universe stuff, tends to be interesting.

So tell us about the 3 species.
And why one of them have humanoid boobs.

Never used r 20
Hit me up with an invite?
I really would love to hear Moar, so continue on please

This thread got my curiosity going and I browsed in search of hot alien girls. At the first glance the only things that arouse me are Puazi, Twi'leks and Tau. Eveything else seems disgusting.
Am is it normal?

You should go for one of the OG hot aliens. Instead of boldly going, try boldly coming.

Going to sleep soon.

If you want elp or comments on your races, setting etc. write a mail at gmail: tuttoingrassetto.

Can I email you? I m a write slash draw fag.

I don't need people to do any work for me, but having a second pair of eyes helps out significantly!

Bumping for the other person to return because I too world love to see the rpg

What kinda technology do you like? Impractical and strange, beautiful and ornate, timeless and utilitarian?

yep email. I'm very slow at answering but will give feedback.

What are the most vanilia alien girl races?

Sounds fucking retarded and, if that's all you have to show of it, shallow as shit

I m not the same person, but that sounds awesome. Talk to you even if the OP doesn't return.

They haven't come back yet, relax.

Why did you post this on /aco/ AND Veeky Forums?

My so called browsig brought me to aco. I found some wierd shit as the calendar thing. So now I wan to understand how far gone are they and if there are vanilia alien races I can apreciate.

Also I'm intrested how much an alien can be different from a human and still appear sexy.

So you're a normie who loves brightly colored dicks, does this really need to be blogged about on two different boards?

What kinds of games would you use to run this sort of thing?

I've heard good things about Machinations of the Space Princess and Traveller.

>what are your favorite ones?
I'm quite fond of the Iain M. Banks' Culture series, it's pretty much what I think of when I hear 'space opera'.

There's a massive amount of freedom in it, because it's basically what you'd get if you took the humans in Star Trek and advanced them about a thousand years into the future - an incredible grasp on technology, immeasurably smart AIs running the show, billions of people living on ringworlds, starships the size of cities (pic related), and an almost limitless way to live your life. The only exception there is that the Culture has restrictions on interacting with more 'primitive' races, planets, etc - some of the novels focus on shit happening within the Culture itself, but other novels are centered around a group of special forces that are pretty much the only ones with the right to interfere with affairs on planets not yet accepted into the Culture's empire.

It's usually pretty good at staying within the realms of reality, but sometimes it comes close to that old saying of 'any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic'. So not particularly hard sci-fi, but not as soft as, say, Star Wars.

Dogs in the Vinyard for mecha frontier with a hint of fantasy, Traveler for hard sci fi and shipfag wankers, and mutants and masterminds if you want to run a zaney throwback with tons of ham and sex

and of course, you've got to check out GURPS

That sounds fantastic, thank you very much for suggesting it. I DO have that image already saved to my drive, but I wasn't aware of it's origins.

As for your preferences, I'd say that you're on to something, for sure.

So the thing to consider is thus... Life as we know it will be unimaginably complex once we've unlocked all of it's secrets. If we were to encounter the opposite of this, a completely new form of life, then everything is basically thrown out the window, and we all start from scratch.

Are you with me thus far? Good.

So now presume that a star farring band of humans encounter a new lifeform that's capable of nearly the same, or bether (or worse depending if you like simpler forms.)

So... okay, here's the tail end of this thought... What if those two races agreed to mutual study?

'They' wouldn't need one human, they'd need a variety. Additionally, they'd need them completely. As in, not just observational study.

Thus we have multi-racial, sexual exchange students . It'd be like... a galactic college.

I believe you're quite capable of drawing your own conclusions from this point, but I will say it's not a bad start at all.

>That sounds fantastic, thank you very much for suggesting it.
No worries, I'm sure you can find a good reading guide for the Culture series of books - they're all quite entertaining and interesting, well worth the read. Some of the ships and AIs have as much character as the rest of the cast, too, and one of the more 'infamous' things about the Culture setting is the whimsical, often subtly threatening (or sometimes entirely blatantly threatening) names that the starships adopt, e.g.

>Screw Loose
>Profit Margin
>Irregular Apocalypse
>Kiss my Ass
>Youthful Indiscretion
>Size Isn't Everything
>Synchronize Your Dogmas
>Don't Try This At Home
>It's My Party And I'll Sing If I Want To
>Just Read The Instructions
>Advanced Case Of Chronic Patheticism
>Conventional Wisdom
>Anticipation Of A New Lover's Arrival, The
>Frank Exchange Of Views
>Big Sexy Beast
>Only Slightly Bent
>God Told Me To Do It
>Hand Me The Gun And Ask Me Again
>Lapsed Pacifist

And the list goes on.

>>Frank Exchange Of Views
I like it

also I'm sending an email now, to whomever that was.

I always wanted to see a conversion of Hamilton's The Nights Dawn series. 'hard' scifi, minus the FTL travel (But it has technobabble, so yay), with intergalactic turbo-zombies. Humanity is busy fracturing into multiple sects, the milky way is studded with aliens who actually are alien, imminent threats, a believable outgrowth of modern technology. It's neat.

Does Eclipse Phase count as Space Opera?

I like that but it falls apart for one reason

>galactic scale
>no FTL

It's gotta be a pretty creative solution to figure that one out.

Also, I like space opera, but usually the scope is just too immense to enjoy or make reason with. I find it hard to wrap my head around how large our own solar system is, let alone a galaxy worth of potential charades...

There is FTL. I mean it's fairly 'hard' scifi, minus the FTL aspect of it. And the intergalactic turbo zombies, but they come with a reasonable explanation.

it remains a to be an important element from the sheer fact that it is multi-system wide, and I'm presuming significantly further than merely a few.

I don't understand what you're saying. I am saying that there is FTL, and the setting, minus the fact that there is FTL, something that our current understanding of the laws of the universe peg as 'impossible', the setting is pretty hard scifi.

I understood you after your initial correction. How you're rewording it makes less sense, I'm afraid.

Again, what I had said was that there should be a some sort of inventive explanation of intergalactic travel. If you are required to "turn off your brain" and forget how unfathomably immense the cosmos is, then it's invariably a shit setting.

Okay, fair enough. But you can't have a 'hard' scifi setting with FTL. So some suspension of disbelief is always necessary. I like the setting because it doesn't tug me out of it despite the winkles and intergalactic turbo zombies. That is what I'm saying.

I'd like to see a setting with an explanation of STL travel though. Probably some sort of random generator like traveller, and then just re-roll every time you approach based on a few things.

you sound pretentious as fuck

Be meek and you will bear meager fruit.

I think you went through pretentious and came out the otherside into complete fucking wanker territory. The bigger kids make you drink motor oil at school or something?

>the delusional argue against a black mirror

never change, Veeky Forums

>I KNOW WHAT A THESAURUS IS. I THINK USING LONG AND CONVOLUTED PHRASES THAT ARE EITHER BULLSHIT OR MORE EASILY EXPRESSED IN TWO OR THREE WORDS MAKES ME SEEM CLEVER AND DEEP.

user, please. You're spitting everywhere.

>IM SO DESPERATE TO DIFFERENTIATE MYSELF ILL TAKE ANY OPPORTUNITY TO SHOEHORN IN MY IDEALISED SELF IMAGE AND BEHAVIOR ANYWHERE I CAN FIND

I'm beginning to suspect that this doesn't have anything to do with playing space rangers...

Eclipse Phase is building up to it. It's still mostly focused on the Solar System, but there are ways to get out of it, lots of them dangerous.

Give me a scientific reason of why alien can be sexy to guman eyes.

Name an already existing species, and SOMEONE has tried to fuck it.

Why would aliens be any different?

If it has a hole, some mad bastard is going to stick his dick in it.

Ok I don't doubt someone would try to fuck anything.

Let me reformulate the question.

We have a space opera setting. It has Alien girls that have to be attractive to a waste majority of the players base, aka humanity. We need a reason of why they have boobs and are pretty similar to us.

>We need a reason of why they have boobs and are pretty similar to us.
human actors are cheaper than animatronics and are ultimately faster to use than CGI for low budget television

in game reason.

We all know damn well why they got boobs. Trying to force an in-game reason won't go any better for you than it did for Kojima.

they gave a reason for that outfit?! Now I want to hear it.

"Durr if it has ftl it can't be hard sci-fi durrrrurururururuuru I regurgitate the opinions of Project Rho without understanding the science behind them durururururu hard means no ftl despite the fact we still have magic AI and genetics and evolution levels and sound in space and psychics but you add an ftl it's not hard anymore duuururururururu

They mostly gave a reason for it. She breathes through her skin like an earthworm. She's been modified to be capable of holding perfectly still for days at a time.

...which means her torn up pantyhose make even less sense. She'd be better off not wearing them at all and sticking to just the bikini. Why is she wearing pantyhose that invariably get torn up crawling on rocks?

Hey hey, it's guy that misses the point and then acts smug about his self imposed ignorance. Always fun,

The problem is that FTL travel that doesn't involve gates (and even then you're risking it) just breaks too many physical laws, you'll need serious workarounds on them. And don't even get into psychic powers, though they can still be justified by not being "magical" at all but just the product of very advanced technology. Strong AI and advanced genetics are well within the realm of possibility, though.
A lack of FTL wouldn't be such a problem if people were accostumed to deal with cosmic timescales.

There are many FTL solutions that don't break known laws of physics. And as for everything else, saying 'well it's sufficiently advanced because I don;t know what sufficient means and I don't understand the Clarke quote' doesn't actually make the laws of physics go away.

You can;t ignore the known rules of genetics because 'well it just got advanced enough' but then say something like the Alderson Drive is 'unrealistic' because it's a form of FTL.

>tar Wars is becoming Old-Hat, friend, even though I agree it is a very resilient setting
The entire EU being washed away gives us tabula rasa for new stories that don't have to interact with all the old beta-canon baggage. As a space-fantasy setting there's far less zeerust to shake off than Trek had, but a reboot still helped.

Yeah, I know. The problem is that FTL = time travel, as far as we know, which is still wonky as hell.
Also, on genetics, CRISPR is shaping up to be a pretty promising technology. Not magical, for sure, but still nice. Meanwhile the Alderson drive presupposes a whole new physical force.

Because, judging by the internet, EVERYTHING is sexy to at least one human.

People have made Hutt on Hutt porn, after all.

I loved the Orion girls but I hated the fanfiction tier psychic sex bond asspull in that episode.

>durururururu
Tuturu~!

They use low-level mind-control to make other species think they look like them.

N O T C A N O N
O
T

C
A
N
O
N

FTL only = time travel if you ignore relativity and assume you can accelerate a mass through newtonian means beyond the speed of light. But if you're ignoring relativity then you also ignored time dilation so it stops equaling time travel as well.

As for the Alderson drive... and yet we have dark matter IRL and some people still believe in string theory.

No man, I swear it's true! My brother brought an asari stripper to my bachelor party and she looked like a blue Elcor!
Everyone said my mind was too strong for their space magic, though I still don't know what was so funny

...bro that was a blue elcor.

... don't be stupid, I would never fuck an elcor?

Dude, we could all hear it from the other room.
>"Extreme pleasure: oh yes."

>blatant lie: I am an asari

No they dont

Hey guys, I have a radical proposal. Since we are talking about FTL in a fictional RPG setting, why don't we agree that "FTL works because the story requires it to work." A role playing game setting is a framework for telling a story, not a theoretical physics paper.

Why is it so hard for autistic neckbeards to wrap their minds around this very simple concept?

I have stopped trying to home brew Sci-Fi games because I have had several different people filibuster the game session for hours with a physics debate they are not qualified to have. At least with Fantasy you can just go "it's magic, LOL."

Part of the reason I suggested Star Wars is because, for some reason, these very same chuckfucks who will filibuster your homebrew setting for hours with a physics debate shut the hell up when you mention established settings like Star Wars or Star Trek.

I am literally saying people should shut up about FTL not being 'hard', especially in situations whee they accept magic and psychics and all manner of physics breaking nonsense in the rest of it.

>Thus we have multi-racial, sexual exchange students . It'd be like... a galactic college.
why has no one jumped at this yet?

That's exactly what I fucking want, and I want in on the ERP group now!

Anyone want to /spaceopera/?