Fuck net neutrality

Comcast should be able to provide any service they want for any price they want. If you don't like it go to another ISP. Isn't this how the economy's supposed to work?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=t89WwcsOj9U
cnet.com/news/telco-agrees-to-stop-blocking-voip-calls/
fortune.com/2009/04/03/group-asks-fcc-to-probe-iphone-skype-restrictions/
wired.com/2011/01/metropcs-net-neutrality-challenge/
businessinsider.com/verizon-blocking-google-wallet-2011-12
washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-tech/post/fcc-fines-verizon-125m-for-blocking-tethering-apps/2012/07/31/gJQAXjRLNX_blog.html
freepress.net/press-release/99480/att-blocking-iphones-facetime-app-would-harm-consumers-and-break-net-neutrality
savetheinternet.com/blog/2013/09/18/verizons-plan-break-internet
rt.com/usa/397163-verizon-admits-throttle-netflix/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>If you don't like it go to another ISP.
>In the US

>If you don't like it go to another ISP

doesn't understand that ISPs are monopolies in most areas of the US. The fact that they are monopolies is the entire reason net neutrality is needed.

Apparently, ISPs in the US have territorial monopolies all over the place, so there is no other. They fucked themselves.

If you get rid of regulations and permits then maybe competition will be able to emerge.

In my area I have:
Fios
RCN
Spectrum
Comcast
Optimum
Probably a couple other small ones too. Problem suburban rural retards?

Regulation exists to prevent monopolies senpai, not the other way around.

no, it isn't. not only is (((comcast))) a monopoly, but they've purchased legislation at the city, state, and federal levels that protects their market share
it's completely fucked

So what you're saying is the solution is less government, not more government.

I live in the suburbs of NYC and we only have 2 viable options: Verizon and Optimum. I can only imagine the shit people in smaller markets have to deal with.

Well then they should have gotten rid of those before getting rid of Net Neutrality then, shouldn't they? Oh wait that would actually make sense for encouraging competition and the FCC is headed by a corporate lackey who's definitely getting a 'consultant' position at Verizon when he's done

A lot of those are subcontractors who work under the umbrella of a larger internet provider meaning that they have to follow the guidelines of their parent company.

Literally retarded

Sounds great in theory, but most of this shit is done at the local level so getting rid of NN before dealing with the monopolies first is retarded.

>viable options

I watch Netflix just fine on DSL fag, it is thieving torrent users who are the ones who complain most about "muh lack of choices"

>Brainlets who still think net neutrality is about open internet rules instead of big government power grab.

>it is thieving torrent users who are the ones who complain most about "muh lack of choices"
That doesn't even make sense. What the hell are you arguing?

They're the only ones providing treat her than 30% DSL coverage fag. It's either them or satellite.

One of the major legal battles for NN was comcast vs fcc in 2010 with regards to comcast filtering p2p services without letting their customers know.

Thieving torrent users are the reason the industry has adapted and is providing low cost solutions. 8 years ago every fucking normie was downloading torrents, now it's not worth the hassle any more

I'm arguing what most net-neutrality fags consider "viable internet" is a super fast 50mbps and above connection or more which is way faster than what most normies need. No one needs these kind of speeds unless they are mass hoarding huge files, i.e pirated movies.

only children think libertarianism works, because they know FUCK ALL about the market
legislation makes (((comcast's))) moat worse, sure, but they already HAVE a moat because market conditions make it non-viable for a competitor to make the capex and split the profits or drive the monopoly profits to zero
libertarians please back the fuck up into nowhere. if you think the market always solves it it just proves you've never had any real exposure to the market

Stop posting until you read the pic I posted

>which is way faster than what most normies need. No one needs these kind of speeds unless they are mass hoarding huge files, i.e pirated movies.

You're an idiot. I play games and those can get fucking huge these days. Also if we never need fast speeds might as well never do fiber and stay right where we are technologically with infrastructure. Nothing bad could happen from that

>mfw people actually think this is true

True user, but you misunderstand. There are regulations in place preventing new ISP's from starting up. Also there are massive costs with laying down the infrastructure.

>Also there are massive costs with laying down the infrastructure.
Which the government has always paid for (and they paid ISPs to expand fiber but those faggots pocketed the money)

>no one needs faster X
get with the times grandpa 4K is becoming mainstream

>net neutrality come out of nowhere
maybe if you're a retarded or b&
youtube.com/watch?v=t89WwcsOj9U

net neutrality has been an issue long before it existed in law

Dear Christ the amount of misinformation and shilling in those posts.

No thanks brainlet.

[Reply hidden: Please upgrade your internet package to Veeky Forums.org/biz/ for an additional 12.99$/month to view]

>get rid of regulation and monopolies will go away!!11!
nigger are you retarded, that's not how it works nor has it ever worked that way

the only reason children aren't working in factories like at the dawn of the 20th century, the only reason we are still at least getting paid 1/3rd of what were getting paid adjusted for inflation and spending power since the 60s is because of regulation. a lack of regulation begets monopolies, this is how it has always worked in literally every industry.

Most normies just want to watch a netflix movie and post on their facebook, I like to do more too with a high speed connection because i'm a geek but it is ridiculous to say that having DSL, Cable, satellite and cell phone internet plans to choose from is not competition. Slower but cheaper internet IS competition because some people don't like paying out the ass to live the l33t life. Millenials are just pissed they don't have more than 1 fibre option in their zip code even though they may have several other slower ISPs to choose from.

Go and try starting your own ISP then. Oh wait you can't because the government won't let you.

Netflix is high bandwidth you brainlet

I don't understand where this ISP monopoly meme comes from. I live in a rural area of Texas and have tons of options for internet, aside from cable (which literally stops 300ft from my house). There's a 4G tower less than a mile away that provides 15mb/s at 5 bar signal, there's a local ISP that does microwave transmission at +25mb/s and is increasing its bandwidth speeds, another local one that does (surprisingly fast) satellite internet, plus all the national satellite brands, etc. If your house is close enough to the physical cable internet here you have like 4 different cable companies to choose from too (Comcast, Grande, Spectrum, Frontier) that all offer 100mb/s or higher.

Surely the suburbs and cities have a similar amount of choice as compared to my bumfuck nowhere house, right?

They are resellers , they don't own the lines ya dumb burger

Title 2 doesnt control who can create ISPs. That control still exists through the FCC. Title 2 just maintains common carrier rules that prevent a company from having data highways.
Also you cant make a new ISP because the internet isnt an idea. Its a series of cables connecting all the states and other countries. You would need billions of dollars to create a new internet backbone so the best you can do is pay to use the real ISPs infrastructure.

>I have all these options, that means my fellow 300 million americans must have them too

Jesus christ, you really are retarded

You have subcontractors who are partnered with ISPs to use their services.
They can negotiate costs but they cant go against the ISP policies.

And I said before, I've watched Netflix just fine on DSL. Learn what the word "competition" means. Competition doesn't mean a choice between fast and fast, it also means between fast and moderatel speed.

DSL was labeled broadband for years yet conveniently the FCC labeled it as NOT broadband overnight in 2015 to give the illusion there is no competition for high speed internet in the country.

simple: your area is the exception not the rule

maybe this will inspire someone to make fast non-cable internet (satellite?) that doesn't require haggling with corrupt italians to lay cable. then there'll be tons of options.

currently offering something better means getting corrupt italian approval

Do you have any idea how much money, tax breaks, and free land they've been handed along the way. Once they give back all the land and pay back all the fucking tax breaks then they are free to do whatever they want.

hmm wonder why the local ""governments"" wont let me create my own ISP? HMMMMM maybe it's because large portions of the USA were divvy'd up by mafia ISPs that can throw countless dollars at local """""governments"""" to disallow new isps

they are doing everything they can to not update their infrastructure, so they can keep inching that dick farther and farther up your ass. if you think your savior is the ""free market"" please just take any course in american history. your only savior is the us government

im glad though, i no longer live anywhere near you americucks -- and hopefully won't see you faggots on this board anymore

are you a cable company shill dipshit? competition means like airlines or rent-a-car: they're all the fucking same with negligible differences. cable and dsl are two separate technologies. you don't understand what it means

sorry your town is infested with corrupt italians, maybe you should move

> mafia ISPs that can throw countless dollars at local """""governments"""" to disallow new isps

exactly. as soon as big cable caught wind that my county was instituting their own consumer fiber, using ALREADY LAID COUNTY FIBER, they swooped in, presumably sprayed money all over the local politicians, and then flew away. the result: no fiber

>ISPs create monopolies by throwing money at governments
>solution is to get government more involved

If the government is preventing you from starting an ISP wouldn't the solution be less government, not more government?

not to a drool faucet

yeah, dsl is enought for you to watch some shitty show in your mothers basement.

Normies have friends and roommates, they invite people over and they will watch a movie/check facebook/play xbox online simultaneously. Standard DSL connections are no longer enough for that kind of usage.

this is not about more/less government. It's about having politicians actually represent their constituents vs. just bending over for donations

Godammit you americans are so stupid when it comes to politics

>ISPs get the government to pass laws to help themselves
>hicks complain that we shouldnt have the government fix their mistakes

>2005 - Madison River Communications was blocking VOIP services. The FCC put a stop to it. cnet.com/news/telco-agrees-to-stop-blocking-voip-calls/

>2005 - Comcast was denying access to p2p services without notifying customers.

>2007-2009 - AT&T was having Skype and other VOIPs blocked because they didn't like there was competition for their cellphones. fortune.com/2009/04/03/group-asks-fcc-to-probe-iphone-skype-restrictions/

>2011 - MetroPCS tried to block all streaming except youtube. wired.com/2011/01/metropcs-net-neutrality-challenge/

>2011-2013, AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon were blocking access to Google Wallet because it competed with their bullshit. businessinsider.com/verizon-blocking-google-wallet-2011-12

>2012, Verizon was demanding google block tethering apps on android because it let owners avoid their $20 tethering fee. This was despite guaranteeing they wouldn't do that as part of a winning bid on an airwaves auction. washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-tech/post/fcc-fines-verizon-125m-for-blocking-tethering-apps/2012/07/31/gJQAXjRLNX_blog.html

>2012, AT&T - tried to block access to FaceTime unless customers paid more money. freepress.net/press-release/99480/att-blocking-iphones-facetime-app-would-harm-consumers-and-break-net-neutrality

>2013, Verizon literally stated that the only thing stopping them from favoring some content providers over other providers were the net neutrality rules in place. savetheinternet.com/blog/2013/09/18/verizons-plan-break-internet

>2017, Verizon caught throttling customer data in direct violation of FCC Net Neutrality rules - rt.com/usa/397163-verizon-admits-throttle-netflix/

You guys just gave them the green light to do this shit instead of having it be something they hope they can get away with.
lmao

>a lack of regulation begets monopolies

They can learn that all over again

oh shit boyo just go and shit out an ISP tommorow, i mean it cant be that hard right?

Haha you fucks dont even know what this will do
Netflix access +20p/m
Oh you go on Veeky Forums a lot I see
Well that will cost you an extra 5 p/m you fucking shit talker
Oh you want access to better pings to a certain location +50

Sincerely
Every cunty isp

see
you libertarian dipshits. we at least used to be able to count on libertarians to make sensical arguments. now the only ones left are the ones who are too retarded to do anything but repeat "muh less govt" over and over after their arguments are torn apart

Bottling companies should be able to put lead in their water. If you don't like it go to another ISP.
The market is cornered and locally monopolized by a few huge companies?
Well free cheers then

>knowing nothing about history
>What is Tier 1 regulation
>What is The Open Internet Order of 2010
>What is the FCC vs Verison case of 2014
Fucking typical (((ISP))) and (((TRUMP))) shills creating their own fantasy.

Unironically thinks regulations prevent monopolies. Either kys or learn some basic economics

Imagine being this dumb

You obviously dont know anything about the internet and how it works.
Its not the same as buying a building and selling burgers.
Google got in the market specifically to force other ISPs to upgrade their infrastructure and lower costs.
You cant just connect to the "internet".
Its all commercial switches and cables.
Thats why ISPs have us by the balls.
No one can afford to start from scratch and they have to partner with these big ISPs to get their foot in the door but to live under their thumb the entire time.

Why do Veeky Forumspoors shill for giant corporations on NN issues? Is it, like, an s&m thing?

Sadly, this is American politics now. Trumpcucks will shill anything he supports. That's it. No principles, no consistency, no thought, just pure cult of Trump. It's the most pure form of cuckoldry. If Trump supported a bill titled "I am allowed to fuck all of your wives," they'd be on here saying that anyone who doesn't support it is a filthy commie.

wtf are you talking about? in this situation it's you who has no clue
1. google got into fiber because they have their OWN monopoly war chest from search advertising and they use it to buy good will from the public with these kinds of campaigns. the rest is secondary considerations
2. all of the cost in starting (land-based) ISPs is in the last-mile problem, ie, laying residential wire
3. none of the rest of what you wrote makes any sense

This is just typical right wing shit. The plebs have been conditioned to not only accept corporate rule and domination of their lives, but to demand it, and to ridicule anyone who dares to claim that there may be another way.

Notice how they personally identify with a company like comcast who could give a shit about them, and act as though a restriction on comcast is a restriction on they themselves, when in fact the rules are there to protect them from rampant corporate greed and overreach.

But of course, this is Veeky Forums. We like big business of course.

>2013
>Net Neutrality
Seems like everything went fine with no NN.

>Every ISP is going to monitor and craft special deals for every customer.
Why should it happen now and not 2014?

Hey Brainlet, the USA is the biggest company in the world.

I love how NA talks so much about their freedom when they have the same kind of freedom as a 3rd world language

Get shit on kids

No, thats how a monopoly works.

Keep Net Neutrality and things the way they are.
Banish Net neutrality and break up Comcast, Time-Warner, Verison, ATT and any unlisted monopolies.

Getting rid os NN with out breaking up the monopolies just harm the internet.

too many fatherless millennials on here running to daddy govt to fix their "problems"

"but ill have to mortgage my house to pay for netflix!!!" good im glad you will, shouldnt be watching that garbage anyways, go read a fucking book

And in my area I have dsl through centurylink. And that’s it.

This isn’t how a ‘free market’ works.

For the longest time I only had one provider in my area, it was shitty DSL. They increased my price to $70 a month after a year of $35 a month. I called to complain and say I will leave, but they basically said "OK, see ya later." because they knew I had no other choice. Finally they put fiber in my area and I was able to get 90x more speed for the same price. I called to cancel with the shitty DSL and once they knew they were fucked, they tried to drop the price to $25 a month. Told them goodbye and that was that. Now everyone in my neighborhood has cable internet and the shitty DSL company lost tons of revenue for being jews.

Happy ending? Maybe, those fiber lines belong to one company so nobody else can offer cable internet. If they decide to jack up their prices, I will have to go back to the awful DSL or get fucked.

option 1: this is true
option 2: this poster is a brainlet

decide for yourselves

Where did you get that information from?
Pure conjecture?
Google isnt charging for installation.
When google moves into an area everyone else also drops their prices.
I get that you obviously think something is up with google but its retarded to not realize that ISPs have us by the balls.

brainlet or jew/shill

yes it is lol. move faggot

>Heh, you guys should just move to the city and adopt a liberal ideology. You want to be cool, right?

>ISP "competition"
Ahahahaha, yeah one of the most notoriously corrupt and customer fucking fields are gonna have competition. Yeah Yeah NN was preventing competition cause of fees, not territory or massive startup costs ahahahahaha.

So you are advocating all rural Americans move to the city? I’m not even that fucking rural, there just is 0 competition in my area.

You’re a knuckledragger carrying water for isps.

>it's not a free market unless everyone in a country of 300 million has access to the same options

just lol

you choose to live in some shit area where its not profitable to compete for people's business. stay mad. nobody cares

>Where did you get that information from?
it's OC you dumb fucker. do you think Sundar Pichai is going to write a blog post saying that the only reason they made Alphabet is to avoid monopoly scrutiny from the public?
>Google isnt charging for installation.
does that make sense to you? it's because they are SUBSIDIZING it you dipshit.
same reason why it's only in a few select areas and not nationwide
please just stop talking

hypothetically, how would a poorfag create a startup ISP to capitalize on the axing of NN?

It's option (1). On Veeky Forums, I would've thought folks would be concerned with starting/owning/operating, you know, businesses. Any business that relies on a web presence, and is also not Amazon/Google/et. al. and capable of paying off ISPs, will by harmed.

Hence my confusion over folks like bending themselves over for shillbucks. What about repealing NN benefits them?

So pure conjecture.
Thanks brainlet.
Let me know when the aliens visit.

>What about repealing NN benefits them?
(other than an empty sense of smugness, of course)

>So pure conjecture.
what do you think a "source" is? it's a guy who wrote it up and had buzzfeed stamp their faggot name on it
surprise: there are people here who know more than you. and more than """journalists"""
>conjecture
it's easily falsifiable. but the fact of the matter is everything google does is to conceal their search monopoly. you can crowdsource this on Veeky Forums and easily make the case for or against

It's a big monopoly. You can't go anywhere else. We especially get shit on in my area. You can only choose Comcast, or Frontier, and they jack up the prices.

LMAO

>This isn’t how a ‘free market’ works.
we don't have a free market though

idk about a poorfag but there must be a bunch of people looking at this now

Lmao, imagine not living in the city. Why would you want to live in open areas or closer to natural habitats? That shits gay as hell, how can you party and pick up mad chicks or hang out with friends unless you have bars, clubs and coffee shops on every corner? Wow, don't tell me you work in "agriculture" or something that doesn't involve a cubicle and a computer. LMAO wow poorfag much? I bet you didn't even go to college hahahaha! Absolutely disgusting you rural and suburban retards. Let me guess, you're not a liberal and you are against diversity too, unbelievable. Just kill yourselves you awful scum of the fucking earth. The world is moving forward and we don't need some fucking country bumpkins doing "trade" work or farming for progression, which you alt-right dipshits are so against.

it will be perfectly easy to maintain a web presence. its not like there won't be fb pages and myriad other web hosting services for small businesses

the pros are downstream. anyone supporting axing net neutrality has ancap/accelerationist visions of it resulting later on in more ISP startups, technological innovation, better future corporate solutions

tl;dr it's 5D chess

look things would be better for internet service in rural areas if the demographic of "rural shitposters" were higher, but it's not yet

The fundamental issue with Title II is classifying the internet as a utility (like phone or water). It doesn't behave like a utility. The underlying network infrastructure is much more complex than water pipes or phone lines and needs development. As it stands NN has put a slowdown on networks and infrastructure development, because they don't care to improve it anywhere past 10 Mbps, which is pitiful considering the tech we've had for 10 years.

And, at the end of the day, the internet in 2014 wasn't anywhere close to all of the doomsday hypotheticals, so you can ignore the screaming babies. Sweeping regulation is almost always inane and a government power grab.