MTG LEGACY GENERAL

Anyone can do it Edition

Talk about good decks for beginners or some shit.

RESOURCES
>Active Legacy Forums
mtgthesource.com/forums/forum.php
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/legacy-type-1-5

>Current Legacy Metagame
mtgtop8.com/format?f=LE
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/legacy

>Find/Browse basic lands by their art (Updated through Duel Decks: Jace vs Chandra)
sites.google.com/site/mtgbasics/

READINGS
>Top 5 Breakdown (May 26, 2016)
channelfireball.com/articles/the-top-5-legacy-decks/

>Miracles: The Match-Up Everyone Should Know
channelfireball.com/articles/how-to-defeat-miracles/

>Utilizing Cabal Therapy (Old but still good)
channelfireball.com/home/legacy-weapon-therapy-session/

Common Legacy - Decks You Should Prepare to Face
>Miracles
>Delver variants (Grixis, Izzet, BUG, RUG)
>ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils)
>Death and Taxes
>Eldrazi Stompy
>Shardless BUG
>Lands

Uncommon Legacy - Decks You Should Know About
>LED Dredge
>Reanimator
>Infect
>Stoneblade
>Burn
>TES (The Epic Storm)
>Elves
>Painter
>Maverick
>4-Color Loam
>Nic Fit
>Sneak n Show

Rare Legacy - Decks You May See On Occasion
>Enchantress
>MUD
>Goblins
>Merfolk
>High Tide
>Aluren
>Food Chain
>12 Post
>Belcher
>Pox Control
>Blood Moon Stompy variants
>Tezzerator
>Sneak n Breach
>Stax (White or Black)
>Deadguy Ale
>Landstill
>Affinity
>Oops, All Spells

Mythic Legacy - Decks You'll See Once a Year
>Doomsday Fetchland Tendrils (DDFT)
>Cheerios
>Nourshing Lich
>Non-Eldrazi Moon-less Stompy variants
>Spanish Inquisition
>Ux Omnitell
>Parfait
>The Cure (Kavu Predator + False Cure)

Other urls found in this thread:

bc-comix.com/playing-the-game-with-legacy-burn-cameron-ramsay/
bordifies.com
pp.vk.me/c637831/v637831084/24267/pj5cUT7eF28.jpg
pp.vk.me/c637831/v637831084/24275/ZQ_yGxwBH7c.jpg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What are the biggest legacy tournaments that take place?

Reposting from last thread:

>tfw bought a casualised death and taxes deck as a christmas present for myself

I have got everything except the lands, went full fuck it and just used stripmines and plains because noone at my lgs cares anyway. Will it still be fun? I'll upgrade the mana base during the next couple of months.

Card Titan does an Eternal Weekend that's three days of Vintage and Legacy

Is the only thing casualised the manabase? It should play much the same with a better suite of lands.

So I finally got tarmos + lilis for modern junk midrange because I had the company variant, how many options for legacy decks does that open?

Yeah, the mana base is the only thing I have casualized, other than that I have got everything, stoneforge mystic, batterskull, sword of fire and ice aether vials and so on. Probably buying three karakas' first.

>good decks for beginners

If you want to win? Eldrazi

If you want to have fun? Shardless if you like fair, sneak n show if you like unfair

If you are poor and want to slowly buy into the format with staples/cards that go into a lot of decks and offer upgrade paths (without using chinamen fakes)? Probably UR delver

Shardless, jund, and some bug delver lists are the first decks that come to mind

I'm thinking about going to a local Legacy event with an unknown meta. I can play just about anything that doesn't require a Tabernacle.

What would you play and why? (emphasis on the why)

in an unknown meta, it's much easier to be proactive than reactive (duh).

reanimator is probably the most objectively powerful proactive deck, but I believe every infect is more resilient. infect also has a good matchup against miracles and dnt, which are both popular right now (at least where I am). I'm obviously biased, but I think my line of thinking holds up.

But are they the most entertaining? For me, opponent, spectators, whatever. I don't care that much about winning, but I'd prefer not to simply lose horribly.

Been goldfishing Storm a bit recently, but I love me some Enchantress or other weirdness.

Thanks for the perspective, btw.

In a blind meta I want to say go with an unfair, non creature based deck just for the power of the cards.
ANT would be my pick.
The deck gets a lot of its power from port and wasteland. It's still super fun, but you lose the most unfair things the deck can do if you don't have mana denial+vial

I would honestly suggest getting the ports before anything else. Of your lands, port would be my vote for most powerful

>good and fair: zoo
>bad and unfair: infect
Why I never.

I'd avoid ant because I hear it has a bad eldrazi matchup, and that deck is powerful and relatively cheap - a combination that makes me think it would be highly represented. incidentally, reanimator has a good eldrazi matchup for what it's worth.
there's also the old advice of "legacy reward format knowledge - play what you know best."

Last thread someone said that if ANT has a difficulty rating of 6 to play then vintage paradoxical storm has a rating of 7.

Which Legacy decks would have a difficulty rating of 9+ on that scale?

retrace the paths belcher

Eldrazi

Reanimator might not be a bad pick then, it does crazy unfair things will still being toolboxy. Is the Show and Tell package sideboard still a thing?

Here's hoping the Masterpiece Series breathes some life into Legacy.

>What are the biggest legacy tournaments that take place?
Wizards' Eternal Weekend, Bazaar of Moxen in France, and when was the last legacy GP?

I think the blue version does, and I've seen some lists that even run a few copies in the maindeck. I was thinking black red since it seems to be favored currently, but that could also be because of its power:cost ratio. either, I think should be a good choice. I wouldn't expect a ton of graveyard hate in an open meta.

Lol in what way ever? A few thousand promos makes no impact.

Chiba, Louisville is next week.

Burn, duh.

Absolutely, all those mythic rare ornithopters will do a great job at reducing the cost of affinity!

Lava Spike is more mechanically complex than storm.

Alright, ports first. I have strip mines to replace wastelands for now, noone around here really plays legacy anyways, sadly.

Pulled this recently. Too bad I'll probably never use it.

At least it will look nice in my store's display case.

The fact they are promos is irrelevant because they lower demand for existing and future non-promo printings too.

Sets that sell well will mean more than a few thousand of each masterpiece, even before Standard Showdown prize packs and any other future distribution methods, which Wizards is obviously open to.

Masterpieces aren't mythic rare and the Ornithopters are hardly the relevant cards. Some are and will be very valuable.

Nourishing lich. You have to make up for it being so bad.

what's the hardest non-meme deck in Legacy?
I assume DDFT guy would know.

How do you even win without a perfect hand?

>New thread you silly fucks. I'm away from the Internet for a few hours and no one makes a new one? Don't make me spank you.
When fakes.poor.faggot keeps ruining it, no one wants to give him an outlet for his bottom feeding attention seeking.

Just don't keep replying to him?
I think discussion of fakes is something that should happen in the context of Legacy because of how prevalent they are becoming, but if someone is being a troll about it then stop feeding them.

I dont know. Maybe burn?

You usually don't, even with a perfect hand.

>He is still butthurt about fakes
that's what happen when you realize you invested your money in the wrong things

If I buy into ANT what other decks can I make in Legacy with minimal investment/the same manabase?
Besides TES, DDFT, and Dredge.

Isn't there a 1/3 chance of a masterpiece per display case or something? Divided bby the number of reprinted cards, I'm not sure if even a couple of thousand new copies per card enter circulation this way.

>I don't know. Maybe burn?
It's like a 2 or 3 desu. I'd put Spanish Inquisition somewhere around 7, maybe 8, though I can't think of any 9 or 10 difficulty decks. Unless we include Judge Destroyer 1.0

Yup. Any idea how many cases sell of recent sets?

I don't really see how Spanish Inquisition is any more difficult than other early combo decks with little to no cantrips/disruption and it definitely doesn't seem more difficult than ant. I don't know, I've never played it, but my impression is that it's only marginally more skill intensive than oops or belcher

I think it is decidedly more complicated than Belcher or oops. Probably close to ANT.

Yeah, SI is a bit closers to ANT but I've found out its mostly knowing your deck and when you should risk it. Bluffing is a bit harder with the deck too because you have no can trips

thread is slow, we should make another combo shitbrew a la lich. i propose eureka-tell because of the retarded art.

>it's a "eldrazi topdecks the only card that could keep him in the game, 5 times in a row" episode

>Lava Spike is more mechanically complex than storm.
its not the lava spikes, it's the metagaming.

>My name is Cameron Ramsay and I started playing Legacy when the R/W Burn deck I was digging rotated out of Standard. After a year of playing I decided to start going to larger tournaments away from my local game shop. Most recently, at SCG Indianapolis, I went 12-3 in Swiss which was good enough to make Top 8. After losing to Elves in the Quarter Finals, I was inspired to write about the stigma surrounding Burn, and how pilots can use it to their advantage.
bc-comix.com/playing-the-game-with-legacy-burn-cameron-ramsay/

I'm down.

If our business spells are both sorceries, a set of Personal Tutor could be good, it can also find Burning Wish so we can have a copy Eureka and/or SnT in the sb to find as well as some niche wishboard answers. Since Personal Tutor puts the card on top, I propose in the place of Preordain we have SDT, which draws us a card for 0 when it's on the field.

MD

>Instant
4x FoW
4x Brainstorm

>Sorcery
4x Burning Wish
3x SnT
3x Eureka

>Artifact
4x SDT

>Creatures
?x G Daddy
?x Emmy

SB
1x SnT
1x Eureka

Eureka can put Planeswalkers into play, unlike Show and Tell. I feel like you should try to take advantage of that.

Doesn't sound like a bad idea, besides a JTMS can runaway with the game on his own or be pitched to FOW. Also Ugin and Karn would be sweet

If you're going in blind, THEY'RE going in blind. Play All Spells.

It's stellar against Eldrazi.

AnT is higher than a 6. If you want 9+, Doomsday and High Tide are contenders.

Also, don't play Paradoxical Outcome. TPS is better.

PSI isn't tough to play; it's tough to pull wins out of blind draws with it when the deck doesn't want you to.

This is why people who say Brainstorm should be banned are wrong.

This. Eureka is nuts.

For style points, incorporate Unexpected Results.

Just gonna keep leaving this here

Loving it (cuz copter) and hating it ( cuz eldrazi) at the same

Being a new player for legacy feels overwhelming on the deck construction side...

A lot of lists are actually very tight, with a few meta-dependent sideboard slots. I think the biggest challenge in legacy is that it rewards knowledge of not only your deck, but every deck you play against. I feel that you never truly understand a deck until you play a decent amount of games with it, so in this way really everybody should sample each deck (and play the matchup with your preferred deck especially) in order to play your deck in the best way possible

Yeah you're right I'll give a couple pf decks a ry.

Belcher.

Hey, Legacy General.
I recently got about $43,000 AUD (~31,000 USD). I want to limit how much frivolous things I'm spending this money on, and have decided a new computer is one of these things.
Convince me for or against buying LED Dredge in either paper or MTGO. For paper, I have the crossover from Modern Dredge, plus Dread Return, FKZ and Iona (36/75). On MTGO, I have Stinkweed Imps, lootings, dread returns, FKZ and Narcomoeba. (17/75)

Also, I'm too busy to play my local weeklies for Legacy so I'd only be playing GP Side events, and sanctioned stuff on the weekends.
Paper price to finish is ~950 USD
MTGO price to finish is ~250 USD

if you expect to be busy, buying it in MTGO is probably better. But LED must be the vast majority of that cost. what's going on in Australia that LEDs cost so much? Still,

That price is getting everything from SCG, so LEDs would be $130 each, because then shipping would /only/ be $60 USD for the whole deck, because it's all coming from one place.

oh ok, so nowhere to get them more locally. Well I still think you should do it. Get them LEDs son.

I see that you're a dredge fellow like myself. Purchasing LEDs was the best thing I ever did, and also allowed me to play storm for a while.

Definitely worth it. The only thing you could do that might be more fun is to go full retard and buy into reanimator like I did.

Someone in my area just shared this.

Do you have any alters in your deck?

Personally, I find these tasteless.

Big band theory is blackface for nerds.

XD omg Big Bang how hilarious XD XD XD I bet the guy who owns those is SUCH
A
NERD! XD

>big band theory
I'd watch a sitcom spin-off of Swing Kids.

I white bordered my whole deck, does that count? I also have a clumsily made David bowie goblin king.

You know what I meant.

BAZINGA

I've posted these before. my brainstorms are also signed by my old college playgroup, but I don't have a good picture of them.

>There are no Monastery Swiftspears because, contrary to popular belief, they are bad
In what fucking universe, champ

I'm not gonna tell him how to live his life. Just judge him for it.

I'm writing the script now.

Has anyone tried these out? Apparently they are sleeves designed to black border your cards. Thinking of using them with revised duels

bordifies.com

Explains why I used to play DDFT...

Old magic cards had shit quality control, and they're the wrong texture, so the general consensus is that they look like shit.

ANT gets you all the duals you'd need for grixis delver - the only extra money outlay is for Force, Wasteland, and to a much lesser extent DRS. Probably would run another 250 to convert.

They never quite cover the entire border. They don't look legit. Just use regular inner and outer sleeves. No one cares about your duals border color except autists.

Nice deck dude.

Sleeves still look pretty fresh, you ever double sleeve?

I am short Chalices, City of Traitors and Cavern of Souls from being able to build this myself.

What did you take out from the deck in order to put in Smuggler's Copters?
What matchups do you think are your toughest, and which are easiest?

What does your sideboard tend to look like?

>in either paper or MTGO
Or both: paper and Cockatrice.

Paradox Engine: pp.vk.me/c637831/v637831084/24267/pj5cUT7eF28.jpg

Planar Bridge: pp.vk.me/c637831/v637831084/24275/ZQ_yGxwBH7c.jpg

I can see Paradox Engine going into Vintage Storm, and I can see Planar Bridge going into the hands of the Phyrexians.

I play cockatrice anyway, but I occasionally like to play with competent players.

I think cunning wish is probably better than burning wish. that way we can stay two color while also running omniscience.

you're going to find that being able to win at instant speed with release the ants is very useful when your opponent just dumped their hand.

I'm also a little dubious of sdt, ponder just seems better

Vintage and Legacy players are pretty tolerant of proxies in my experience, so that goes for paper too.

The sleeves are 3 years old (hypermat pro) best sleeves.
Put 2 wails and 2 endbringers in the sb
Lots of good match ups

SB varies by meta but always includes
4x faerie macabre
2x colorless only eldrazi wrath
2-3 thorn of amethyst

I decided my Pox deck wasnt happy enough, so I ordered these sleeves for it. Now I just need an equally happy mat. Maybe that will stop people from being so grumpy when I play against them.

You're a sick man

I like it

posting shitbrew

show and tell x4
eureka x4
emrakul x3
omniscience x4
ponder x4
cunning wish x4
preordain x3
impulse x1
intuition x1
flusterstorm x2
gitaxian probe x3
force of will x4

island x4
tropical island x4
ancient tomb x2
city of traitors x2
fetches x7

seems worse than SnS

>brainstorm

I'd cut the 1-cmc stuff for more Cities/Tombs and Chalices, or I'd cut back the land total (but switch one to a fetch) and use Brainstorm instead of Preordain.

oops, brainstorm should obviously be in there as that list is 57 cards. probably cut a preordain to get to 60

at work currently, sorry famalam

>DRS are $4 each
>Wastelands are $30 each
Jesus Christ did Wizards actually manage to lower the price on some Legacy staples with reprints?
I may just pick those up preemptively, Grixis Delver looks fun. How good is it?

So much for masterpieces being useless for eternal formats.

None of those were masterpieces, it was eternal masters. The only reason that did so much more than modern masters is because the legacy player base is much smaller

>Also, don't play Paradoxical Outcome. TPS is better.
In the last thread you said you haven't played either, so how would you know?

I think that was more from wasteland being in EMN

I have alters in my Miracles deck.

A reprint is a reprint. It was ENM and Wastelands this time, it will be a different printing and a different card next time.

I ran delver for two weeks while everyone hated out combo decks. It's pretty good in a creature-light meta, so if there are people on elves or goblins (or just random shitbrews that run random dudes for no reason) then you'll want something else.

It's got decent game against most manner of storm decks, being able to pressure their life total and having counterspells to fizzle their "go off" turn. It also can hate on reanimator to a degree with DRS, and its miracles matchup isn't TERRIBLE.

Eldrazi is a bad matchup but a winnable one if you attack their manabase. Hatebears is really rough though.

So if I had ANT(/DDFT) would adding Grixis Delver not actually improve my matchup spread?
Or are they good enough in different metas to warrant having both?