So I dont really know exactly where to ask this question but alot of art threads around here tend to have characters...

So I dont really know exactly where to ask this question but alot of art threads around here tend to have characters wear those "Half shoe" things if they are rouges,druids, or really anything.

I gotta ask how good of foot wear are these in a practical sense? Does leaving your toes/part of your foot exposed give an advantage of anything?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contrapposto
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Something something something Zulus. Apparently it allows you to run faster.

>Does leaving your toes/part of your foot exposed give an advantage of anything?
Broadly speaking, no. Feet are pretty well designed for balance and traction, but there's a reason we wear shoes.
I suppose it keeps you a bit warmer than going bare foot, but again: shoes.

>Apparently it allows you to run faster.
Just like running into a gunfight in a silly dress makes bullets less likely to hit you?

>being so dense you have to ask this question

Sorry frogposter I just wanted to know plus I kinda like the design of it.

Mostly rouges,beast people,or humans in tune with nature you can argue the toes being exposed help with stance or stealth.

Or they just hate wearing shoes but know they need them.

I always assumed it was meant to do one or more of the following:

>Allow the wearer to be "closer to nature"
>Aid in climbing by allowing the toes to grip
>Soften the wearer's footsteps

Mostly it seems to make people "faster or more agile" to me since like like Ed from cowboy Bebop cant even shoes or apparently in 40k Lillith is somewhat of a blur to many humans and in the codex is kinda emphasized her being barefoot.

Why do so many Veeky Forums works have barefoot women like that?

Man it would be nasty to fight barefoot in 40k

Bare feet are generally quieter than shoes and allow for the use of toes.
Feet are extremely sensitive compared to most of the body.
The wrap allows for arch support, while keeping the feet as naked as possible for maximum feeling and "stealth". That being said there's a few reasons we wear shoes and they rhyme with dicks, cocks, and paltrops.

The reason is that we mostly live in areas that our feet never really evolved for and it as also become heavily culturalized.
If a character stems from an appropriate area, there's no reason for him to wear shoes. Like Hobbits, for example. Hair against the cold and thick-ass soles against the rocks.

Shoes keep you from stepping on unpleasant things.

There was some study on running between shoes or no shoes and how it impacts leg comfort and joint impacts. Basically, no shoes results in a different sort of step where the toes hit the ground first and causes far less impact, allowing you to run much longer before your legs and back get sore.

But then, shoes stop those sharp rocks along the way from stabbing you in the foot and stopping you cold. Nature is full of rocks, sticks and thorny weeds similar to, but far worse than, legos or d4s.

Foot fetish

I remember the dark eldar codex it really did emphasis the fact she was barefoot

Besides being actually pretty damn good, she's also a massive showoff. No shoes, no armor (those leg bracers are actually weapons!) girl has image to maintain.

Personally I love it when beast people wear them

Allegedly, freedom of foot dexterity greatly assists with balance, footing, and stability. I say allegedly because I'm not a gymnast, that's just what I've read. Part of why you often see athletes running on loose dirt, or sand preferably, is because the soft ground forces them to actually use their toes to maintain grip and forward momentum. My personal experience supports that, but that's just my word. The idea behind the half-shoes is that you're leaving the ends of your feet open to grip and spread as needed, while covering the more sensitive sole-area. I've never seen anyone wear them irl, but the modern equivalent would probably be those toe-shoe things, which aren't half as aesthetic. Some runners and gymnasts swear by these things, while others scoff them as a needless accessory; much like a weight belts or climbers masks.

I remember an interview with the guy who gave voice to Garret of Thief fame. When asked about why Garret the Master Thief went around sneaking in essentially tapping shoes, he replied "You try walking all day on cobblestones in soft shoes."

Because the ball and heel of you foot are pretty tough/thick (especially if you run around barefoot a lot) bu the arch is much softer by comparison since it doesn't hit the ground. So the goofy half-shoe footwrap things cover the soft arch and leave the ball and heel exposed. Not a bad option, all things considered, but I still like boots.

Those are foot guards and they offer you some protection from rough terrain while allowing full freedom of dexterity a naked foot has.
And are also damn sexy

Feet don't actually like being in shoes. They restrict natural flexibility and range of motion, which causes the relevant muscles to atrophy and leads to flat feet, fallen arches, etc, not to mention other problems that arise like bunions. This all leads to your feet becoming very bad for barefoot walking and needing shoes for support and protection.

Basically, shoes are a trap. Wearing them hurts you and subsequently makes you dependent on them. Those foot guards don't trap your feet, and thus don't cause all the problems real shoes do.

Garret needs to learn to walk on his toes

Leaves the toes free for climbing.

It's like all the exposed thighs, which help with temperature regulation and freedom of movement.

Lelith is a huge attention whore who fights nearly naked for glory purposes. She's essentially just flaunting the fact that she can kill an entire Tactical Squad in under thirty seconds, with a bunch of mundane blades, zero armour, and impractically huge hair.

>Basically, shoes are a trap. Wearing them hurts you and subsequently makes you dependent on them.
Only hurts if they don't fit right.
I wear boots. After a while, they mould perfectly to the shape of your feet and you barely feel them except for the weight, and the protection when you drop something on your foot and it bounces off the toecap.

>a frog post calling anyone dense

It's a new age, folks.

Really? isn't r9k's shtick is considering themselves super smart and undeservedly shunned by the bimbos?

>does leaving your toes/part of your foot exposed give an advantage of anything

If you're technological level is stuck at "exists but is prohibitively expensive for 99% of the population", they do plenty.

How many professional climbers do you see climb barefoot? How many professional sprinters running barefoot? How many craftsmen do you see not wearing gloves of some kind (even watchmakers and jewelers wear gloves, frequently)? I challenge you to find me a day laborer that isn't grizzled and hardened not wearing gloves.

The human feet and hands can absolutely build up enough calluses to be protected from the most common environmental harm, and yet people still wear shoes and gloves.

Extrapolate to fantasy worlds: if you're adventure had the money to afford full-plate armor and weapons, they had the money for shoes and gloves. The only reason a person would choose to not use them would be if the technology was actually inferior to being barefoot (probably unlikely), or if they had some kind of additional appendage that made it unrealistic (like animal claws).

In summation: it's strictly aesthetic design. Like the vast majority of design decisions made in games.

If you remember (you may not have been here), ROBOT9000 was deleted as a board, and didn't exist for several years, because the "feels" memes are bad and have always been bad. The only reason r9k came back was because of rampant shitposting and the need for a containment board, like why /mlp/ was made.

My Veeky Forums perusal is rather tightly focused so I only get by the reflections of them through the boards I actually care about so I wouldn't even notice it being gone.

And by those reflections a portion of frogposting did carry an air of proclaiming superiority.

>They will never bring FFXI Up to modern MMORPG Standards
Sorry for being dumb frog poster, but this was the best way to convey my sorrow over the very very slow death of this game.

First things first, I fucking love them.

That said: they might help you move silently and, for a character that draws power from nature, might be a way to be connected with Earth or some hippie shit like that.
They might be better for climbing, too.

On the other hand they'll leave your toes exposed to cold, dirt, cuts, nasty stuff, and being stepped on by some knight in heavy armor.

Aaand I'm a doof and updated the wrong image.

Ye olde shoes weren't good for traction.

Windrunner being barefoot kinda makes sense she has powers of the wind and lived in the forest for s while.

In my experience, being barefoot on non-flat terrain is not beneficial, its a fucking liability. Unless you're mincing around on the balls of your feet, your fucking arches are going to eat shit eventually and its gonna HURT.

>Unless you're mincing around on the balls of your feet
That's how you're meant to stand when barefoot. Years of wearing sports shoes constantly have ruined your foot posture.

She fights barefoot to give her a more gymnastic aesthetic than the other wyches, it emphasises how much more acrobatic she is than them.

And years of mincing around on the balls of my feet when I was younger have ruined my back posture lol. Im not even kidding.

You're meant to bend your knees.

at all times? Are you sure you're not some kind of kangaroo person?

Congratulations, you're defective.

This thread has made me rethink my choice to have my comic character wear sandals. And now I'm thinking about combining the foot guards with shin guards like here

I like it fits the character

It only makes sense when the wearer have some kind of long claws and could hurt his feet because of that. Aside from that, I can't think of any situation where it could be more advantageous to not wear an additional layer of protection for the soles (even in the form of sandals). That being said, any practical reasons are completely irrelevant if it's your fetish (and im goddamn sure it is in my case).

I think so too. But I still have some time before her wardrobe change to fiddle with it.

Just imagine how enjoyable walking on goddamn pinecones must be in those.

.......why would you walk on the pine cones? There's plenty of space around them.

This is what never walking anywhere does to people.

Once again I am stunned by the Japs inability to draw toes.

Having said that there are a few reasons to have a character barefoot or in half shoes, one of which is that I suspect more people find it sexy than want to admit it.

The practical benefits are that it changes the way you run, allows the sensitive part of your feet to be exposed for feedback on where you're standing, it's a little quieter, might offer better grip and allows for better balance.

The disadvantages are that that feedback to the underside of your feet can be in the form of 'shit's broken glass yo', your feet get cold, you can stand in some nasty shit, dropping stuff on bare feet hurts and decent footwear incorporates grips on the bottom which probably help out on some surfaces.

I wouldn't mind being barefoot if I was sneaking around, running on a flat surface or probing a surface with my toes, I'd hate to run around barefoot in snow, urban areas, hot rock, anything pointy or sharp or in areas where I was likely to be crossing rivers.

I am the OP and I kinda made this thread to see if they had any advantages even if they didn't I still wouldn't care but at least I would know something since I personally fucking love them on a lot of characters[\spoiler]

Glad we had a nice thread on a design aspect/fetish

You're a gentleman and a scholar OP

Oh and while I remember, another reason a character may not wear shoes is that they can be very expensive in older style settings and even in some places in real life.

On the flip side damaging any area of the bottom of your foot is a surprisingly debilitating injury, if you cut your ball, big toe or arch in any meaningful way you can end up being nearly unable to walk until it heals. It's telling that a lot of African tribes have been running around barefoot for thousands of years but will buy sandals MacGyvered together out of old tyre rubber rather than keep doing it if they get a chance.

I mean even if it is unpractical like you said the design aspect of it is quite nice.

Right, I forgot one thing: for a D&Dish rogue it would make sense to go around with bare toes to be better able to 'feel' the floor in dungeons and perceive vibrations, clicks and other unusual behavior from the tiles that may give away the presence of a trap.

A nice flavour touch for a rogue would be to take their shoes off just when they're entering a dungeon or another dangerous place, or when they have to be very sneaky-like.

Historically speaking, shoes used to be one of the most expensive pieces of attire as they required skillful artisan to produce them in a way that would cause less discomfort than walking barefoot, required durable materials, and still fairly quickly won off under frequent use.
As a result, shoes were not commonly worn by most of the population. When the weather and conditions allowed for it, people walked barefoot, used simple sandals (which really were just planks of wood tied to the leg), or when it was too cold and coldburns were a real threat, used footwraps: basically just pieces of cloth wrapped around your feet to protect them from cold and to a lesser degree, various lacerations and shit.

I suspect the half-shoes OP is talking about come into being in a similar way as chainmail bikinies came into being: invented mostly by fantasy artists who wanted to marry "ye olde sensibilities" of people just wrapping their feet in cloth instead of wearing shoes with an attempt to create something more visually appealing and more showing off the physical fitness and body beauty of the wearer.

>never walking anywhere

user i was into equivalent of Boy Scouts for most of my childhood. I can only imagine that playing paper chase(?) in the middle of the night is incomparably easier than running in an actually life threatening situation and even then i wouldn't ever thought, that it may be a good idea to take the boots off.

>implying harcerze don't just sit around underage drinking all day

Yeah the majority. I could never quite get into drinking. You could also brag about doing some silly shit like picrel and it actually impressed people.

Personally I think they fit more on Beast races than humans like in these cases

Even with Beast Races in settings wearing those could make alot more sense than humans since the beast race still wants to be apart of their animal side. And on tp of it their toes are claws that can provide for better traction and all that jazz.

Sorry for the animu but its the best examples I have

>Sorry for the animu but its the best examples I have

>Likes beast races
>Has no pictures of shifters
Shameful

I agree that foot wear fits more for animal people who properly hate shoes.

I hate when I see Argonians or Khajets wear boots and stuff in elder scrolls had to find an armor mid to soothe my autism

Well it went better than most fantasy armor threads

The cheesecake thread was fucked by the OP there

While people have pointed out many benefits; if it's impractical to work/move around in and looks good, it's a perfect status sign for nobles. Like ridiculous heels it shows that they don't need to bother with proper footwear, just whatever looks and feels good.

>it's a perfect status sign for nobles
Getting your feet dirty is not a good sign of status. While yes, high heels were a status thing partially because they represented the lack of need for walking, they were also associated with status because they made you taller and further away from the dirty, dirty ground. In fact they absolutely minimalized the amount of contact with ground your feet had.

This crap is going to mean your leg is gonna be dirty at the end of the day.

Just adding another, slightly boring idea to the pile here: for many of the designs, particularly the taller ones, it might be less of a half-shoe and more of a strap around the foot holding leggings in place.
I'm no authority on making or wearing these things, but I imagine a simple tubular legging thing would ride up or bunch in places, and the arch strap might keep things tidier.

So that's another point toward it being an aesthetic choice, but also kind of practical in terms of maintaining the aesthetic.

I love these. They really helped my back problems.

Their feet wont be dirty because they don't walk around, they sit and lie around in their palaces and villas and they get carried by a palanquin.
Also high heels are derived from riding boots.

It's more of a symbolic problem. Dirt is "low". Ground is low. The further away from ground and dirt you are, the higher status you evoke. You want to disassociate yourself from ground as much as you want if you want to impress. It's kind of a universal semiotic model, really.

>Also high heels are derived from riding boots.
In male fashion. Not as a female symbol of status and desirability.

Eh the sandals in the pic seem alot better

You draw feet better than 85% of other artists so stick with it shes cute

Yes, at all times. It takes your body weight from the individual joints of your knees and hips and transfers it evenly among the muscles of your legs. Doesnt have to be an aggressive bend that drops you a few inches, but locking your knees when you stand is not a natural position.

People used to wearing shows have delicate girly feet and they think walking around barefoot in the woods is torture.

3rd worlders like me who walked around actual woods and farms barefoot as kids and developed a few inches of tough fucking dead skin under the feet know that it's not really a big deal.

Stepping in cow shit is never pleasant tho

>That being said there's a few reasons we wear shoes and they rhyme with dicks, cocks, and paltrops.

Licks, socks, and malapropisms?

>catgirl
that's a wolfgirl

>Locking your knees when you stand is not a natural position

Only half-true

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contrapposto

Feet have a reputation of being very hard to draw, so I may try a bit too hard.
Comic is named Agrest the Thief and it's on a tumblr