What are the essential elements of a space opera?

What are the essential elements of a space opera?

Hot humanoid alien chicks ready for copulation.

hot non-humanoids of indistinctive gender ready for copulation.

Taking place in space is important

First I thought you were trolling but seeing the pic you posted... You are beyond help.

It's a stock bait image that's been used again and again. Sometimes they juggle the images around to make it work better, but I don't think this one's been changed since the last time it was posted, ages ago.

I almost took the bait and started correcting your tiers. Man, I'm off today.

>not a single SW animated serie that are beyond all this shit.

>inb4 space and opera
space politics involving alien races, OP

Magical Beast
Hit Dice:
5d10+25 (52 hp)
Initiative:
+1
Speed:
30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class:
15 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +5 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple:
+5/+14
Attack:
Claw +9 melee (1d6+5)
Full Attack:
2 claws +9 melee (1d6+5) and bite +4 melee (1d8+2)
Space/Reach:
10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks:
Improved grab
Special Qualities:
Scent
Saves:
Fort +9, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities:
Str 21, Dex 12, Con 21, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 10
Skills:
Listen +8, Spot +8
Feats:
Alertness, Track
Environment:
Temperate forests
Organization:
Solitary, pair, or pack (3-8)
Challenge Rating:
Treasure:
None
Alignment:
Always neutral
Advancement:
6-8 HD (Large); 9-15 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment:

And yet, strangely enough, no opera.

At least it's not the "star trek was racist" webcomic, right

>Firefly
>Anything but garbage tier

The 5th Element is the only space opera I can think of and only for a little bit

There was a series of novels by Jack Vance about a travelling opera company in space.

Where does Killjoys rank on your list? Given Firefly is High-Mid it'd have to be at least Mid tier.

I honestly would reverse New-BSG and Old-BSG on that list. New BSG got very trite, very fast.

I'd also move SG-1 down into a tier of its own between high and good tier: "everyone's second-favorite".

I didn't like SG-1. I thought it kinda sucked.

In hindsight, it's better than the series that followed it, though.

>Star Trek
>has klingon opera

I liked it, though I wouldn't go so far as to call it my second-favorite. The thing is that it has that reputation, however: very few people ever claim it as their favorite, but very few people ever rank it low (which is not to say that no one does)

my blood pressure is lowering slowly but damn...

Take Wagner opera, add space overlay, done.

Aside from Babylon 5 not being in God tier and Nadesico being in Low rather than High-Mid tier it's mostly correct.

Also, Christopher Stasheff wrote a series about a bunch of Shakespearean actors traveling between planets to put on plays. It was called Starship Troupers.

It's also one of his only series that doesn't devolve into "The Catholic Church is the savior of all civilization."

>Outlaw Star
>Low-Mid Tier

>Cowboy Bebop
>Not Higher

>Star trek All God Tier
>Firefly below Futurama
Really makes you think who made this list.

There are clearly three Star Treks not in god tier.

>I'd also move SG-1 down into a tier of its own between high and good tier: "everyone's second-favorite".
Everybody's second favorite what? Stargate series? Because it wouldn't make my top dozen sci-fi shows. While I don't think it's bad, per se, I find it to be exceedingly dull.

>I honestly would reverse New-BSG and Old-BSG on that list. New BSG got very trite, very fast.
Despite doing some things really well, new BSG was absolutely destroyed by its shortcomings. However, old BSG was cheesy schlock and hardly deserving to be rated high-mid tier.

Also, how are both of them rated higher than Dark Matter on that graphic? Dark Matter isn't exactly revolutionary, and its second season was decidedly weaker than its first, but it's entertaining and hardly low quality.

B5 belongs in god tier along with Firefly. DS9 doesn't. SG1 really doesn't. Also, there are too many fucking tiers.

>very few people ever rank it low
Does "meh" count as "low", or does it fall just above it? Because in my experience, that's most people's reaction to it.

Farscape + SG1 + Rifts

This

Not really

>What are the essential elements of a space opera?
Space, but not opera. There tends to be surprisingly little singing in these affairs.