/wip/ - Work in Progress General

Lackbog edition

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
[YouTube] Build A Light Box On The Cheap, Take Gorgeous Photos! (embed)

>How to Moldlines
[YouTube] Removing mold lines from models (embed)

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
[YouTube] How to Magnetize a Tyranid Carnifex (embed)
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg (embed)

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>In the face of death, I shall have no remorse.
[YouTube] Dawn of War III – Announcement Trailer (embed)

Previous threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-4062952/Bulgarian-court-orders-detention-Dutch-terrorism-suspect.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Alright lads, I want to make some Istvaan V terrain.

I'm thinking foam core board for the tiles themselves.

What kind of terrain should I do and how would I make it? How should I do rock ridges and things? Cut up foamcore?

Any advice/tips?

Made some more progress on Magnus. Fuck GWs pinkish red, crimson all the way!

Got hold of Duncan's blessed washes over crimbo, making a world of difference.

Holding out on the fists until I get some white primer.

Just out of curiosity, are these Magnus heads going to just fall into everyones bitz bins or are people building their Magnus's with these heads.

So I have been distracted by my other ogryn. What do you all think of my heavy stubber bullgryn? Also I intend to make ammo belts to the stubbers from the boxes on its back.

Reposting from Last Thread, since I didn't get a reply.

>I need some help deciding a paint scheme. I'm going to be working on my Neophyte Hybrids for my GSC army. These are the ones that come with the Armored Claw box, so they're in Guardsmen uniforms. I don't know if I should go with the standard Cadian green, as I like the look of it, or do them in a more grey urban camo look so they don't stand out next to my black/silver/red cult units.

>Pic related is my paint scheme for my general cultist models.

Please no criticizing of my preexisting paint scheme. I know there are things people don't like about it, but I like it and am sticking with it. Not trying to be rude, I just want an answer to my question.

Tell me about Bullgryn, Why does he wear the mask?

Make the guard some other color from your cultists. They should be dressed like guardsmen turned traitor not cultist turned guardsmen. As for color? Idk whatever matches your lore+ is easy to paint.

No one cared who I was, until I put on the mask

He is a big guy that is why.

Although he is not the biggest, I have a 3d printed orgyn about 20% larger than normal, that will be carrying a punisher Gatling cannon.

Sounds good. I'll probably roll with the green then, since I think it looks nice on tanks.

Thanks user.

My first painted miniature.

I am still working on the gun since it has no details yet and the base paint seems to chipping off on the sides.

Personally I wish i didn't apply satin varnish all over the entire thing since now it looks messy due to dust and such. The feet also were a lot nicer until i dry brushed the base.

The one thing I personally like is how the armor came out. Its not perfect but the highlights really did add to miniature.

Any tips or criticism would be welcome.

it's ok but, thin the paints

It looks awesome, I wish it had more of a "I ripped this off an AA gun look than an official weapon but it still looks cool"

I've seen these cultists more than my kids in the last few days. What world are your cultists on? Jungle? Desert? Hive? Theme it to your guys although green is going to be a huge contrast to the bright red... if that's what you want.

For your first miniature that's really really good. couple points

1. Did you apply a primer to the model?
2. You probably do not need to apply Satin Vanish to these miniatures (at this time) don't do it for the others

Otherwise very good effort.

Yes I did apply primer. I am just guessing i might have not put enough coats(vallejo primer tends to be more watery) or i didn't cover the weapon fully.

Did you spray or brush apply?

I personally airbrush my primer on (vallejo) and it's just fine for me.

I brushed it on. I probably will invest in a airbrush very soon mostly for priming.

just go with cadian if you like it. you clearly want these to look garish so what does it matter?

The silver mask is my personal favorite.

Thanks, I will try to remember the ripped off look next time.

Thanks for makin' a new thread, OP, but... what is this? A Johnny for ants?!?

What does the bolter magazine whisper to him?

Alright, /wip/, I have an idea or two.

My parents got me an Eldar Wraithknight and a Hemlock Wraithfighter for Christmas, which I am extremely grateful for.

However, I play Slaanesh CSM's.

My plan is to convert these two to be Counts-As Daemon Knight of Slaanesh and a Hellblade, using greenstuff to add Chaos bits and tentacles and other stuff to the models to make them look like Slaaneshi-corrupted Eldar constructs.

In the spirit of this, I've started to think about getting some Eldar Guardians and Kabalites and Wyches to mix and match and run as Cultists for my army, converting them to look like broken, twisted Eldar who have been enslaved by Slaanesh and turned into husks of what they once were.

Does this sound like a good idea?

Posted in last thread, but I got there too late.

Currently looking for ideas to customize my new Flyrant kit. I already have one built in the standard fashion. Has anyone seen/tried anything neat?

Could anybody hook me up with some based chinaman? I just went into my games workshop and saw they were selling 3 models for 40 pounds.

Blood Bowl was really reasonably priced to.

I like it, it's like a Khorne devoted Magnus, very cool user

Reddit.com/r/yoyhammer

Start there.

just started paining my skitarii
if i were to post a pic here will i be laughed at?

You would get constructive comments on how to improve lad.

forgot to mention: they're my first minis

Reminder: This is the first mini of our Lord and Savior. Bask in it's full-res glory as you post yours. Be not afraid.

Thanks dudeski

Could you guys post some examples of freehand work on tanks or just vehicles in general? Looking for some inspiration for my Skitarii Force.

>Yoyhammer

Kek

>tfw too busy to paint minis
>tfw the little time I have to myself is spent recovering from work

kill me lads

Just know that you are gonna see a quality drop with recasted models and it's all non refundable. It ranges from near-gw quality to complete and utter garbage that I wouldn't even use for terrain. You get what you pay for with these things.

And hardly worth it unless you buy in crazy bulk.

these really makes mine look like shit

Slowly teaching myself to do simple recasts. These aren't perfect, but I learn something every time I try something out.

Mine for sure, I want his face to be Pre-heresy. That said I'm also building him without chest armour most likely. Gonna go full JoJo on him.

They will replace badly damaged/missing pieces.

I have had them send out replacements a number of times.

In terms of quality the GW stuff can be lacking, but FW recasts for me have always been top notch.

Infinity Maghariba Guard

Haven't handled / assembled something so large in pewter since a 1990s Furioso Dreadnought

Medusan Immortal Sergeant
shield ain't attached on account of it being painted separately

Is it hard to do?
I might try making some fire warrior bits, the kits come with almost enough to make extra dudes

With tail

I'm thinking about getting some 30k stuff just as a painting project.
Anyone on here working on thousand sons/have a decent tutorial for candy/metallic red?

do you make these with a printer?
sorry i usually do not visit this general

How? From aliexpress they're like 1/5th of the price and the shipping is free.

Seeking more feedback and perhaps advice on how it looks right now. I've attached hands to the ends of the wrists and the insignia to the chestpiece. I was told the gun looks too heavy for the arm to lift (despite my arms are slightly longer and thicker than stealthsuit arms) but I suspect its because the torso is smaller, messing up with proportions.

Tomorrow I plan on bulking up the chestpiece with putty, adding a ponytail and making shoulderpads to bulk out the arms. Hoping this makes her midsection bigger to seem more proportionate.

Any advice is welcomed!

>base black
>layer silver (or gold depending on taste)
>recess wash with nuln oil
>spray with tamiya clear red

Job done

Do it, user.

Didn't aliexpress remove those a while ago?

the cannon does look a tad bit too large for the arms, but there's not much you can do to fix that: bulking it out might help but who knows. Loving it so far anyway.

Practice makes perfect, user. Just keep watching tutorials and trying. I also recommend starting on the models you care about least. When I started my Tyranids, first things I painted up were the Termagants and Hormagaunts so I was more confident when I did my Hive Tyrant.

Then again, according to this thread, my paint scheme is shit. Just do what you think looks best.

Thank you very much! It's true though, I did even bulk the wrist up and I'm using space marine arms, can't get any bulkier than that unless I use Terminator stuff which would look ridiculous I wager. It doesn't help I'm using the slightly thicker Ghostkeel blasters but I have no of the smaller ones spare and I'd like her to wield a special pattern.

Don't know how I can bulk the arms out further besides making them look it with a shoulderpad. Maybe not having her posed with an outstretched gun to the side? or adding a small slab of plasticard to the top and bottom of the wrists to make them bigger?

Ya know I updated my johnny a long time ago and nobody bothered to save the pictures I posted

Finally, after many pins, the legs are in position.

What colour are you going to paint the skin?
Please don't say you're leaving them black with no highlights.

What material did you use for the base? Is that MDF?

Not difficult, but you will make mistakes as you learn. Start small and don't get too ambitious right away.

Depending on the bits you need, it might be easier to use oyumaru press molds and modelling putty to get the ideas down.

The pic is of some objective markers I did and then made flat molds of for recasting. Flat single-part 2D molds are pretty simple. It gets trickier when you need to do two-part molds.

dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-4062952/Bulgarian-court-orders-detention-Dutch-terrorism-suspect.html

Plan is to have them black, but hit them with a grey highlight. My Tyranids have black skin, so the 1st and 2nd Generation Hybrids are gonna have the same, while the 3rd and 4th are just gonna have slightly darkened regular skin.

Problem is deciding the best way to highlight them. Probably gonna go with Mechanicus Standard or Eshin Grey

Paint grey and do multiple washes of nuln oil.

It looks better than painting grey highlights over black, especially on non-armoured models.

I am thinking of using this as scheme for my tau. How does it look to the eye?

I like it

Where are the legs from?

You could always just go like i did, and diversify a bit.

I am working on something different, and thats my photography
I can take a picture of a coloured model alright, but the second more than 3 models come into play the disbalance in light becomes really apparent...

If i apply more lights to the lightbox, the brightness becomes too much.

For some reason, it becomes more noticable on unpainted models.
Any suggestions?
I dont really feel like taking individual pictures of each model and collaborating them for acceptable lighting

You could possibly slice a slot where the arm meets blaster, and set it in there, all Samus-like.
Or even cut the Fusion-y bits off and set them on a smaller weapon

You mean like the gun slots INTO the arm instead of being underslung?

I did just dryfit a stealthsuit shoulderpad to the arm, which made it look quit nice but I realized the wrist part is thick enough from the middle but not from the top or bottom. I'll add a small piece of plasticard to both and see how it looks then.

Just finished off a bunch of my friends imperial guard. It's a mixed set, and I must admit I hate hate hate painting catachans. Also why are their female guardsman wearing not much? Because fuck you that's why and I like tank girl and aliens.

Some it must be said turned out better than others. Raging heroes resin seems to hate primer of any kind.

There will be a 2nd knight soon. I hope.

Bad Moons/10

Ded proppa' lookin' armor, Boss!

I was more thinking the arm sets into the gun, but yeah. Or you could have the other arm holding it up

>that knight

>Female guardsmen

I'll give that a try if I fail to make the arm/model bulky-looking enough! Thank you.

Anytime, been saving your conversions into my Greater Good folder, they look neat. Looking forward to seeing it done

the speed of response to the amount of c&c have sent my sides to space

Hate on Raging Heroes all you want, but those TGitG actually look good painted up. Way better than all the shitty Statuesque conversions people try to make with Eisenkern or Cadians.

Shitposting is in my soul. Sorry.

Some of the models look great- on the first photo, the green-haired flamer model in the center and the black-haired model to its left are very nice and I'd happily field them in my army. Some of them- the one in front of green flamer and the black girl next to her- have some... strange faces, but the fabric, skin, and weapons are all done fantastically. I'm not as impressed with the work done on the male models, since they lack the color variance the others do.

May I ask why the Sentinel is half normal, half rave?

In the second photo, I'm not a huge fan of the Commissar's model in the first place, but you salvaged it well; the gold seems a little thick, but otherwise fine. If you've got the models, I'd be interested in an in-focus picture of the third guardsman back, third from the left (blonde with presumably plasma gun); it *looks* well done, but it's blurred out. Same deal here, the female models are obviously much more detailed and colorful than the male ones, but I can't really cite too much in the way of technical faults.

The Knight is... well, 200% Rad.

>Raging heroes resin seems to hate primer of any kind.
Is that after washing them? they may be using more mold release than necessary.

Kinda wish they'd do individual model sales. I'd like to get a couple models to paint up on a rainy day.

Any good recommendations of stuff to look at for planning out Imperial Knight Heraldry?

I like making my own schemes and fluff but would like to eye up some good examples. Some real world sources would be great as well as in-universe stuff. Is there anything in any of the horus heresy books? I'm sure there's a deceptive amount of information squirrelled away in places.

A chance to show off and sperg out about your own also if you want. I'd love to hear it.

I think they do individuals for the officers and unique solos like the nurse.

High praise, thank you! After this I still have to scratchbuild a remora drone and work on a Commander, Ghostkeel's weapons and convert a Kroot Headhunter (counts-as Vindicare), so should have more for ya. The feedback is lovely.

I posted last night, but they may interest you. Breachers built on Pathfinder bodies. Simple, but they stretched a single FW sprue to build 20 guys for $85 total (less, really, since they're from the Kill Team box).

Don't get me wrong I love raging heroes, great sculpts that look awesome and I will bankrupt myself when there not dark eldar come in store. The resin though is weird. Some minis have this ability to repel paint regardless of priming and preparation.

Have a Xiphon for my Third legion.

They do, but it's the troopers I'm more interested in, and those are 5-man boxes.

Why do I have to look at these mediocre tau over and over again thread after thread. Is there a reason you post these like five times a day?

I've seen people use the O&G spider body to convert tervigons(?) with. Made me think something like a big fat mosquito like the nurgle drones could look interesting.

Saw them and yeah, it's a great idea! I don't field breachers but I certainly appreciate the skill to squeeze out as much as possible from a box. This was a godsend when I was working on my Necrons back in 6th, the Lychguard box is a bitzbox by itself, squeezed out 5 Crypteks and a shitload of decor out of it and I still have spares!

Yeah i was the one asking about shoulderpads.
Thank you for your time and reply.

THIS.

I like the concept of Tau breachers and the use of the drone, but you need some greenstuff or plasticard panelling for the top of it

Yeah... Some went a bit odd. The Cadians I did missing half my paints and the catachans. I just hate them they are the worst models. The Cadians were tolerable due to 3rd party heads. Oh well onwards and upwards user. Thanks for the advice.