Melee

Mee Lee or May Lay?

Other urls found in this thread:

dictionary.com/browse/melee
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

There's not really a debate. It's not a made-up word like tiefling or drow.

me ree

I say it the way the announcer in Super Smash Bros. says it.

Mee lee is a type of weapon

May lay is a cluster of people fighting

It's a real word with a real pronunciation. Mêlée. It's french.

It's not really up for discussion. The pronouciation is may-lay. If you want to pronouce it other ways, fine, but just know that you are wrong.

I have come to the realization that I have been pronouncing it "May lay" my entire life, but up until this moment I thought I was saying "me-lee"

I'm going to go lay down now. I don't think I'm well.

My Lai.

He says it so right, everything else seems wrong

Mealy

I say 'meh-lay'

You are correct.

Yep, same.

There nothing to debate.
dictionary.com/browse/melee

I hope you feel better, user :)

>It's french
Thats why I pronounce it phonetically even though I know it is wrong, just to piss off the french.

I pronounce everything phonetically

it makes all of the people around me happy for some reason

This. Fuck the Frogs.

>mee-mees

That's Brit-speak for melee. It's like saying ad-VERT-is-ment rather than ad-ver-TIZE-ment.

>Thats why I pronounce it phonetically
Uh huh. And do you pronounce hor d'oeuvres "whore doughy erves"?

>There's not really a debate. It's not a made-up word like tiefling or drow.
This. I mean, if you're going to pick a real word, at least go for something a bit more obscure, like cuirass or falchion. Pronouncing melee "mee-lee" is like pronouncing knight "nig-it". It's wrong,it's obvious, and you look like an idiot.

EVERY word is a made up word. Someone , at some point, decides the pronunciation of each.

It's not like the French are bothering to pronounce English words. They'd rather make up new French words rather than use any that are non-French. So fuck 'em. When it's said outside of French-speaking territories, we'll tell THEM how it's pronounced.

M'lady

Some of them have evolved from earlier forms or at least have a longer history and wider awareness than some niche word somebody just made up for something in a game. Others are (currently) obscure enough that there really is no consensus among the people who encounter them as to how they are pronounced (even if there is an academically-preferred way, a small minority of people are aware of it).

>whore doughy erves
Yup, and grand pricks, and coop dee grace. Fuck the french.