Heyho, Veeky Forums

Heyho, Veeky Forums
Tired of DnD and not wishing to dwelve as much money into yet another rpg and all it's rulebooks, I though you guys could help me.

What are some good rpgs that only require 1 book and isn't too limited at the same time? (Think DnD if DnD only had the player handbook, if you will). Thinking of trying something new with my buddies

DnD 5e.

Well, do you like high and epic fantasy, low grungy fantasy? Sci Fi? what do you want to play, dude?

I'm really open to all. I just haven't tried Shadowrun because it seemed to be quite a challenge to learn. I'm really just open to any settings as long as It need one book (Like Engine Heart, for example).

You could always hop over to a pdf share thread and pick a couple systems to try.

I'd recommend picking up mutants and masterminds for superhero shenanigans.

Savage Worlds
Rules lite and easy to play.

Savage Worlds. It's got everything you need for a variety of games in less than 200 pages.

Well, for me I prefer Fantasy Age to replace my D&D-ing.

thanks for those. I also saw 'Golden Sky' mentionned in another thread the other day but I heard it was pretty limited, RP-wise.

Bampidy bump

Where can I find a pdf copy of Fantasy Age? Can't find anything on the net. would love to give that a try

There should be a pdf share thread near the bottom of the catalogue on any given day. Everything you need will be there. It is your one true friend.

I've looked at all the PDF threads, searched them all and every Fantasy Age link is broken as shit. What can I do, my french mouse friend

Well, like the other thread mentioned, Ryuutama is great. It's a very specific aesthetic, though.

I looked up some reviews. Looks like it has a kind of sweet innocence to it, Miyazaki style. The price is also really fair for a standalone one-book rpg. Already added to my wishlist. Hope I can get my players as interested as me, too

FateCore is good, but it's tricky. Read the core book and you'll surely want to hack together a setting/system guide.

Apocalypse World, the main book, is unique and amazing. I'm not sure the variants like Dungeon World are as well received around here.

Also... piracy. Just steal the books until you know if you like them.

Savage Worlds saved me and my players. It's been fantastic.

Noted. Fatecore looks a little bit >Lelohsorandum
though. Ootherwise, I'm digging Apocalypse World.

If you think GSS is limited, then you may want to stick with playing your animu visual novels or whatever.

DO not come into this house and make any negative insinuations about Golden Sky Stories.

Eh, FateCore is pretty much an inspiration engine - it's designed to work best when you have a game idea but don't know what to use to run it, rather than trying to find a system that does "Tolkien Fantasy" or "Space Opera but Crunchy and With Extra Tits" really well.

Hey ho, user. I'm just repeating what I heard from other anons on here. Game still looks awesome, I don't have nothing against it. I just hope I can eventually dwelve into it and get my doubts kicked into the curb. I barely know shit about the game other than what I was told and the little bit I've read about it.

I'll look further into it, sounds like it's what was missing last time I had a campaign idea that couldn't fit well into DnD.

Fun fact: D&D (or rather, its most popular editions) is rather singular in its retarded amount of pointless rules. It is also rather limited, despite what people using it for wildly incompatible game ideas might suggest.

Good RPGs fitting your criteria are:
Apocalypse World (not Dungeon World, that one's garbage)
Ryuutama
Dungeonslayers
Dungeon Crawl Classics
Shinobigami
Tokyo Nova
Legend
Fantasy Craft
Golden Sky Stories
Make You Kingdom
Dogs in the Vineyard
Dungeons the Dragoning
Ironclaw

And that's without checking my other collection.