SS13: Space is the Place for a Courtcase Edition

Welcome to the thread for d20 station, a rules light, medium RP Space Station 13 server.

>What is Space Station 13?
It's a 2D top down atmospherics simulator with who dun it gameplay layered on top. Each crew member aboard the station has a specific job to perform, while a select few are selected to be traitors (assassin/spy/thief).

>Why is this on muh Veeky Forums?
d20 is a server made for fa/tg/uys by fa/tg/uys

>How do I play?
You'll need to download the BYOND client.
BYOND Download link: byond.com/download/
A BYOND account is HIGHLY recommended

To connect: Open BYOND, click the gear in the upper right. Click "Open Location" and paste in the IP below (Visual guide: i.imgur.com/d9D82fK.jpg).
byond://76.16.8.127:28014 OR byond://d20station.ddns.net:28014

>I'm new, and I don't know what the fuck to do. How do I swap hands?
Use OOC (backspace say" in the bottom, type OOC and hit enter, or: i.imgur.com/RodAGGZ.png), which means Out Of Character chat, and ask someone for help on how to play. People will almost always help you get a grip of the game if you're polite about it, just don't reveal too much in-round information in OOC.
There's also wikis dedicated to documenting the spaceman way of life, but they vary widely from server to server.

>What are the rules?
The rules are very relaxed and admins try to take a hands-off approach to administrating. Admins will generally only intervene if someone is explicitly playing to ruin the game. Reminder to read the rules in-game.

>What map/code do you run?
We run a heavily modified Ministation map with mostly custom code. Most jobs on Ministation are merged with similar counterparts and head roles have been re-enabled.

>When does everyone play?
The server is mostly populated with Americlaps, so peak times are usually between 7pm-3am EST

>Who are these tripfags?
Usually admins/coders for the server.

Miscellaneous inks pastebin: pastebin.com/NmNvRdsG

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/781HO
i.warosu.org/data/tg/img/0333/18/1405072163620.png
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I used to play SS13... Whatever happened to the Xenomorph things? I thought those were awesome.

I now want to try a locksmith gimmick where I make people remote signallers that'll open their airlocks.

>Irvan says Owen was less shit
Warms my bitter heart. I tried, but between being the person who kept having to try to calm astv's raging tits, and the normal rigors of captaincy (as a relatively new player to boot), it was an effort. a fucking effort.

I recall vividly a round where I had been a model captain through hours of play, but eventually certain key personnel logged off, and things started slowly going to shit. I had assisted science in getting things set up, and so had some nifty toys, including NVGs.
I sat at my desk for a while, attempting to manage comms and idly drafting up paperwork, when people eventually stopped talking over the radio altogether, and the sounds of distant tools began to echo.
Then, sometimes alone, sometimes in groups of two or three, the rest of the crew tried to break into the bridge, one after another.
None radioed ahead, none yelled at me or tried to justify themselves, all came armed.
So by the one or the twos or threes, I killed them, stuffed them into a locker, and started fortifying the bridge.
Eventually the shuttle was called by someone else, which I suspected to be a person using a communications console built in the well-established science wing. So I sent the shuttle back, and demanded an explanation over the radio.
The response was for the shuttle to be sent again.

For a few minutes, I just sat there, pressing the button to send the shuttle back, growing increasingly furious at the situation.
Eventually, the console prints out:
>We at Centcomm like pressing buttons too.
>We can press buttons longer than you.
My first reaction was "try me bitch"
Then I realized what it meant that Centcomm sent the ticket

The lights had long since gone out on the station, and I couldn't tell because of the Nightvision Goggles.
Everyone else thought this was self-evident, and the comms relay had probably lost power, making my station-bounced radio alerts void to the average crewman.

I still laugh.

Freeman, are you back, or was this just a fling?

Have you ever thought about making a new character, now that Owen is retired?

I've been playing a few new characters, on the off days that I used to play. Or do play, I should say, if this upthrust of population keeps up.

Keeping focus on a long dull round is hard, so I sympathize with shitters and associated others there.

Yeah, I'm probably going to stop using Irvan as I realized again that people meta to me. I got randomly stripped by a HoS and one of the main reasons people attacked him was because I'm Irvan, I think. I might random appearance or try new character, I find it hard to roleplay honestly, but Lee is teaching me a few things about playing a character / gimmick.

I'm going to try to play a Warden on Sybil that is a really shitty undercover cop
An example being putting on a prisoner costume in front of the prisoner in the cell, going in, and whispering plans about how they should make a jail break

I wish you luck in the meatgrinder of the greater web.
Roleplaying, actually roleplaying, takes some practice to get in the right mindset, I can sympathize. You probably don't have tabletop experience, then?
What it comes down to is making fast and sharp the mental leap of derailing your personal reaction with "what would this other person do?"
Gimmicks are good practice for that, since they tend to be simplistic stereotypes that you can easily pander to as a player. But they're also shallow as a result, and quickly lose their charm.

They're still in most servers. Some people just find the game mode extremely boring. It tends to be pretty one sided. Either the Hive will hatch half a dozen Aliens and wipe the station or they'll get fragged early on

Here's the clown's perspective in images:

imgur.com/a/781HO

I've been trying, but most groups die. I'm in one now and every other one takes a few days to give a yes or no answer to something.

I figure if I just practice on gimmicks I'll get good enough at it to know what character I want to have.

I do roleplay, but it's more so if I was in the situation rather than what should I do as the person playing the video game. So it's not Hippie level rp, but it's not a lot. Usually what I say is what I think will get a laugh out of someone.

Ah, they grow up so fast.

>I've been trying, but most groups die
>every other one takes a few days to give a yes or no answer to something
You'll be a jaded old grognard ere long, friend.

im alwaysa round if there's people playing I just didnt know we had players

Lee somehow managed to revive the serbian.
Seems the prune-happy janitor is leaving us alone for the nonce, to boot, so people should be able to organize rounds here.

I'll try to stick around some myself.

What discord?

Reminder that nernynams is a shirt and serbians wear shirts also or something.

you_tried.png

Come to think of it, where is nernums?
He's probably put the most spaghetti into the server over the years, so why has he abandoned us?

>lee
REEE I HELPED TOO
irvan

>forgeting me as well
:(

Is it possible, as a new player, to accidentally ruin the game by not knowing what you're doing?
If so, how is this avoidable?

Well, if you put a bag of holding into a bag of holding, then a singularity erupts and starts to eat the station.

But otherwise, go assistant and cargo technician and you'll be fine. Play services jobs until you get the hang of everything.

Don't worry about fucking up, it's part of the process.

Don't worry about it. It's basically impossible to completely ruin a round unless you intend to

>can't get (You)s anymore
Welp guess I won't bother baiting Lee into responding to be anymore

Links to your post get dotted lines instead of solid ones.

It's not the same. It's just not the same.
Fuck you gook moot

You remember when saging stopped being visible? This is like that, but actually good.

So was Relaxe actually banned in the end? or did he just stop playing?
Is the Relaxe poster actually just Relaxe himself, being anally devastated over getting banned?

>tfw you still get (You)s

Is that a setting somewhere or did you poke around in the CSS?

>using plugins such as 4chanX
enjoy ur chinese bitcoin miner :^)

>Implying I didn't just edit CSS

>nernums has abandoned us and only posts on Veeky Forums now
Come back pls :(

Post it.

Hey cool it worked
Have a (You) as payment my friend

>50924547
logged in to upvote this

Can't ctrl+f for them. What's the point?

>Relaxe
Who?

Cheers mate. The irony was that when I actually started playing detective for real I became terrible at it, right up until I started trashcan diving again.

moral of this story is to not forget your roots

Chopped up the greentext about god's trial from last thread.

And here's Freeman's perspective.

that fucking cargo tech was such a shit
>tries interfering with an arrest
>announces over supply radio that they've made a secret entrance into permabrig
>even though there's at least two heads present who have supply on their headsets
>carries a shotgun around in the hallways in-hand
they definitely would have been the second in line for a major investigation, warrant and arrest if we hadn't tried prosecuting god.

also we need to seriously sort out the hop's access.
i discovered so many things wrong with that shit.

>Miscellaneous inks pastebin
>Miscellaneous inks
>inks
Good to know we run a tight ship around here.

Gotta deal with the charlimit somehow.

I almost blew up the engine room trying to optimize it with N2O last night
I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually

Just fiddle with your pipes before you hook up cans and you'll be fine.

He got banned repeatedly but keeps coming back under sockpuppets.

I bet you're one of them, trying to stir up trouble.

He's easily the worst thing that has ever happened to this server.

bump

So anyways to continue the greentext of d20
>Gordon gets perma banned for respawning as Billy Mays and killing all of security (in "self defence")
>There's a sentiment in some that he's helpful and don't have a probably, but a lot of people get angry about him so spritefag (I think he was veyveyr or whatever bans him)
>the "go back to veegee" posters appear
>but again, rounds are still fine
>people are fine with death and if the barman gets his shotgun stolen, he's justified in doing pretty much anything besides respawn abuse
>case in point here: i.warosu.org/data/tg/img/0333/18/1405072163620.png
>shit like mousetrap signallers in a box labeled "Pandora's box" happen that when rustled triggered 4 bombs was great
>people start respawning ad infinitum because unlike now there was no cap on respawns
>shard cannons start happening
>I think Gordon gets unbanned since he didn't actually break any rules, but is appearance banned
>rounds where cargo would fuck off to make their own station start happening
>astv goes AWOL for a few days and we check out other servers
>we all hate them
>one guy keep talking about his adventures on a shark on vorestation
>server comes up but people keep greentexting vorestation
>we make it so stories have to only come from d20 or something like that
>this gets ignored when the story is good
>Gordon makes shard cannons and people get their anuses unclenched
>Makes guides to medical and RnD and teaches people how to do things like gold slime grenades
>row row fight the powa

What's the philosophy for changes for d20? Some people are talking about making knight armor and forges but don't want to add quality of life changes for botany, what are we aiming for?

Whatever takes coders fancy at the moment.

Gordon is obsessed with guns and general /k/ stuff, Nernums is obsessed with engineering, Mezzo is usually responsible for global overhauls and annie-may etc.
If you want something done with the hydro, your best bet is to ask Emiko, Mezzo or Irvan, if he ever makes it to the admin.

7 people on.

Implying I know how to code in Byond

I can try though

and i try to fix and improve whatever fucky shit i come across
and occasionally make half-finished projects

What QoL changes are you talking about?

More mutations, changes to what's in the biogenerator, better effects on upgrading the machines (seed extractor giving more seeds), and quicker bio generating (not sure if it's faster if upgraded on this server).

Not botany but...
Remove fatigue/stamina or make it not take 6 fucking weeks to regen
Remove blood or make it easier to get new blood
Make mangle less of a hassle to fix. I'd rather just kms and get cloned than do the surgery or ask someone to do it for me

Blood is easy to get back, just make some hemo stim and keep yourself well fed and hydrated and you should regenerate any blood you lost within a few minutes, mangle is hardly a hassle, far less than it used to be especially now that bicarindine heals mangle damage.

How does one make hemo stim?

iron, salt, sugar and water

>Make mangle less of a hassle to fix
Bicaridine/tricord/cryox/clonex all heal mangle, just more slowly than they heal brute.
That's not QoL, that's feature expansion.

You know what would be a good QoL upgrade?

Getting rid of all of Relaxe's sockpuppets.

Pretty good round, I think I'll bring back Easton another day.

11 people get in here

>d20 station, by Veeky Forums
>zero rp in community or immersion
Nice

>zero rp in community
You should have seen last night's trail then.
Even the two biggest memesters on the server were arrpeeing during that

well he's not wrong, there is a complete lack of an immersion or RP on the server, which would really benefit it a lot.

There's plenty of RP, basically every regular is down to do RP stuff except Matyi because he's a boring meanie.
The problem is, no one really initiates it these days, most don't have any ideas left or the drive to make up new stuff, but if someone starts it everyone will play along as evidenced by the trail last night.
As for "immersion", it's completely objective. Some memelord like Lee may be completely immersed spouting memes while keeping things vaguely spaceman related, while someone else may be immersed by high RP.
There's nothing really that can be done on a community level to fix peoples problems with muh imurshun.

W-who are the memesters

Tried playing once on Veeky Forums and i immediately walked into something that killed me, and logged off.

Willing to give it a second go if someone can teach me how to play.

He probably means either Lee, Irvan, Gideon or Gorgon

pretty much everyone on this server is willing to teach you if you ask nicely.

I haven't played SS13 in ages. When is this server most active?

>played changeling for a bit as MD
>nuked a cargo tech with a napalm grenade
>turn into him
>look for authorities to pin the blame of his death on after claiming to be cloned by the MD freeman
>nobody really wants to listen
>clown is vandalizing cargo
>as a "cargo tech" I can't stand for this and chloral him with a hypospray
>give the succ and turn into the clown
>my assassination target is greiving over loss of corgi
>being the "clown" I must perform elaborate honking ritual to revive corgi
>starting with a blood sacrafice of the killer on colorful runes
>despite being the "clown" its not enough to use honk stamp
>get corgi revived
>while dancing DNA sting everyone around me
>give up on imitating anyone else and log out

>The rules are very relaxed and admins try to take a hands-off approach to administrating.

>occupations are time-locked

>cant sign on as head of security right away
yeah its better than a whitelist aint it nerd

>this is somehow a problem
It's to stop shitters from joining as captain then using that access to be a massive shit
Hands off doesn't mean "do what ever you want lol" it means they try to not intervene unless they really have to.
Fuck off Veeky Forums shill

by objective do you mean subjective

Yeah I did
I'm just retarded don't mind me

my corgi didn't even make it to the end of the round because Lee fuckign murdered him

7 pm est thereabouts, 7 on now.

>oh yay a SS13 server
>join
>lolsorandum griffed

Nevermind, it's fucking nothing.

Who what where and why?

Did you ask an admin about it?

Just now. Rewarded for my efforts repairing a hull breach and trying to fix atmos by meme engineer Gordan Freeman pushing me into oil slicks and then beanbag shotgunning me in the face.

Are you the guy who got chaired and immediately went braindead?

>when the guy walking around in a chief engineer's hardsuit is given slightly a hard time being slipped on oil he just goes braindead in the middle of the hallway
I don't know what you expected with a high strung attitude like that, you're doing pretty good silently playing the piano in the bar right now

Yeah you're right man. This obviously is not the server for me.

im sorry I slipped you on oil three times friendo
please accept my apology

So did you actually die or something or are you just crying about getting slipped on oil?

no he's currently in the bar 100% healthy playing the piano

So where's the line between good arrpee and bad arrpee?

Whether or not people tolerate your presence when playing that character.

>space year xx16
>being a space pleb
>not being a space patrician

So since we're on the topic of role playing, who are the best roleplayers on the server?
I want to know who I should go to if I want someone to join in with muh RP

I hate you faggot, you and every faggot like you.

Look at lifeweb, it has zero rules basically, very similar to this server, even fucking murderboning is justified if it's in character. The only vague rule is that Randy and his team are buttmad slavs and you should act in character/in tone with atmosphere or you will get killed by other players and can get after a lot of requests about you shitting up other players games piles up.
And yet Lifeweb has literally the best constant high rp, enforced entirely by the community itself acting in character at all times and whenever they see a shitter collectively without a fucking word or even LOOC notice killing him.
And that's not even Ruzone where slavs will fucking run to the priest to confess sins every time they do a horrible crime and see some crazy shit, very often rping full on hysteria.
After seeing that shit I am absolutely convinced that all of the "community can't do x or y" statements are completely false, it's just that grand majority of the community does not feel like upholding the immersion and being in character, and admins don't care enough to remind people and punish shitters.
Every SS13 server should feel ashamed that a krokodil addict Russian manages to make weekly updates to his server which has more unique features than any SS13 server at this point, he does all of those updates solo, he also managed to create a community that self moderates. God damn it.

shill