/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

>Latest News
Paladin UA is out! dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/paladin-sacred-oaths/
Be sure to fill out the survey on Monks
sgiz.mobi/s3/a6ca24df7196

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5emegaanon's super useful tools, check 'em out if you haven't yet.
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous thread Weekly Art Appreciation Thread
What's your least favorite art from 5e thus far?
What's your favorite?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/vx4Nz0wV
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/classes.html#Wizard,10
reddit.com/user/zDnD
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/H1sIWc_I
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

can you run Rise of Tiamat without doing Hoard of the Dragon Queen first? what drawbacks are there to doing it this way?

I bought Rise of Tiamat for a friend without knowing it was basically a direct sequel to HotDQ, and i'm wondering if i have to buy that one too now.

I never did like the look of any of the metallic dragons. Shame too because otherwise copper dragons are best boys.

It's probably not the best idea, but you could probably pull it off with a bit of effort.

The players miss out on a lot of setup, and it can seem like this massive dragon threat just came out of nowhere.

However, the biggest problem is that neither of the adventures are particularly good. This can be fixed, but running the adventure as written is the most rickety railroad ever built.

Postan orc babe

What does the bugbear in the party wear in town to not alarm the townsfolk? Help me out Veeky Forumstg/uys.

dead thread
casting Resurrection on caster vs. martial argument
CAN MARTIALS BRING PEOPLE BACK TO LIFE? NO. CHECKMATE, IDIOTS

Leg irons, a neck-and-wrist stock, and a sackcloth over his head.

>not having permadeath in your campaign
To think that the taste here could get any worse...

If you make ASI dependant on character level, with Fighters getting a couple extra, does that break anything?

Rogue also gets a few extra ASIs. With multiclassing, you might run into a few dead levels where an ASI would normally be.

Here's a homebrew 5e ruleset made to make the game play more like Dark Souls. Criticism is welcome.
pastebin.com/vx4Nz0wV

Multiclassing becomes way better, but not really.

As a note, pikes and heavy crossbows aren't as heavy as they are in the PHB, as they are in real life. I suggest putting them down to 7-8 lb.

Actually, now that I look at the weight list, the STR requirement for weapons was really ill thought out.

Is there a good to place to get a commission done? It's my friends and I first DnD game, and after 5 successful sessions I want to get a drawing of our group or character portraits. Has anyone had success with this in the past?

>tfw no archetype for implementing Next's early Barbarians back into 5e
>ywn hit someone for 2d6 + 5 + 20 + 14 + 6d6
>ywn use Channel Fury to auto crit for 16d6 + 39 as often as you want at level 20

I just wish Berserker was better

What program should I use for generating 5e maps on my windows PC?

Photoshop? Or is there something else that's specialized for it? I want to do the hex map technique it talks about in the DM guide for making a continent scale map first, and then kingdom scale maps for each province.

a very large robe

Those starting ability scores seem pretty brutal. I know you get more stat increases, but an average of 8 for each stat sounds truly awful.
Estus replacing hit dice sounds pretty rad.
Making experience and money the same resource is cool.

Resign yourself to not having good looking maps unless you draw all that shit yourself, because every program that does this has shitty, mismatching assets (and too few of them) and tools that don't do what you want.

If you just want an overland map, go use Inkarnate or something. It's decent enough. But for large, detailed continents or battlemaps, I'll loan you my gun so you can shoot yourself now and save yourself some trouble.

Hexographer or the Civ V map editor.

The skin of a humanoid that's not a bugbear. That's reasonable, right?

So I should just stick with doing it from scratch in photoshop using my drawing tablet then?

Never thought of using the Civ 5 editor. Good idea, I'll poke around at that.

Hooded cloak with bandages making a mummy mask.

If anyone asks he was cursed by a necromancer and needs to wear the bandages.

Only problem with the Civ V map editor is that you have to screenshot to save it as an image. So you'd better have a 4k monitor, otherwise you won't see much detail on the map when zoomed in.

Gonna roll awaken mystic for my next character (I enjoy playing a psychoc detective)

Any advice? Which discipline to not take?

Could the Sun Soul's radiant sun bolt combo with searing arc strike?

Multiclass is not only better because its stronger, but also because specific class levels become dead, i'm looking at you cleric 12, which makes multiclassing even stronger in comparison than the increase to its own potential alone.

I recommend this expansion for higher levels and more options. It's a super fun class. Take Thought Spear for effortless assassinations.

They both use an Action, do they not?

Wait until February when they release the huge full 20-level class/rework?

Any suggestion for the die rolls than? I would do 3d6, but than it's too easy to get high numbers... 2d6k1+1d8? 1d6+2d4? 3d4+2? 4d4?

Is that really coming?

You mean UA, right? 'cause we'll be lucky to see PHB2 in earlier than 2018.

You betcha. either that or in some other new book a few months after that.

Yes, and it seems like they're abandoning the earlier-rumored d6, immortal-as-fighter-archetype shitplan

dank fuckin' god

Psionics was a mistake.

My advice is, fuck you.

>he thinks magic is more fantasy than psionics
top laffo, 00s kid

Fuck off.

>other people having more options in their own games ruins my fun somehow

>WAAH!

Just finished my supplement to port the races and mechanics of Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles to 5e.

I made a major effort to include more fluff from the original series into descriptions, going from a pitiful paragraph to half a page worth for every race. I also focused on balancing the races a bit more as they were a bit too feature heavy. (I excluded the Feast abilities as this is more a replication of the general food mechanics in Crystal Chronicles, which had race specific pallets.

Let me know what you think and if anything needs to be improved on. I'm eager to make this supplement good and not a throw away project like my Bloodborne trick weapon ports

I can't wait any longer. I want PHB2 now.

Well that was the strawman of the century. Maybe he just doesn't like how psionic classes function; I certainly don't.

How well does the Bestiary Pawns from Pathfinder line up with the 5e Monster Manuel? I know I make custom ones, but how they work for now?

What, you don't want to have to sit through two okay adventure modules over a year before you get actual content added to the game?

>I don't like that this thing exists, even though it doesn't affect me
>I will whine on a Laotian basket weaving board about its existence

I don't get why there's no PP growth on the alter-class archetypes. I get that they're trying to keep parity with the slot power of things like EK and AT, but those classes suck and the whole point of PP/SP is versatility and not having all-or-nothing approaches. You're stuck with 6 PP for three whole levels, then it jumps up to 14. Would it really kill them to go 6/8/10/14 or some shit?

I like the modules (though I want more 1-15's rather than 1-10's), but I'm having trouble coming up with characters I want to play that utilize Warlock, Sorcerer or Bard levels.

Fuck psionics.

Go away.

It's a shame that they don't care for higher levels anymore. It'll be a miracle if we get so much as an epic level UA, let alone a sourcebook.

Thanks!

I pretty badly want to play a Death Knight/Blackguard/etc. character using the Oathbreaker Paladin, but would it be realistic for them to be in a good party? Why? Is it too edgy?
I'm interested in ideas how they could fit that archetype playstyle-wise but not personality-wise without being super unbelievable.

It's okay user, tell us where on the doll the big psion touched you

Why Oathbreaker, specifically, and not either of the Oaths from the Paladin UA?

>Not becoming a DM yourself
>Not homebrewing the everloving fuck out of everything
>Not adding 10 class archetypes to every class
>Not letting players craft their own magic items
>Not completely inventing a setting of your own imagination
>Not reflavoring all magic as psionics to trigger this guy

Fuck the PHB2. We are the system.

You'd need to talk to your DM. It's a lot more reasonable to be a "good" character that utilizes death magic/necromancy for the greater good than you're just some dick ass motherfucker who's with good guys because.

An Oathbreaker should no more want to tolerate being surrounded by goodie-goodies than they should want to have him around. If the party gets along, it's most likely due to contrived OOC stuff, and one or both halves are likely to be shifting to the opposite alignment.

SMASH THE STATE

Not him but if I were to do that I'd have to make sure I never visit /5eg/

This is possibly the worst place to ever mention your own homebrew, it completely ruins my motivation to even try, let alone put it out there.

I am DMing one game, about to start another.

Homebrew is always fucking shit, every time, no exceptions.

I'm fine with players crafting magic items, but it's gonna cost 'em. A lot.

Doubling the rate of ASIs really fucks with how stats are balanced. For a simple but perhaps unsatisfying solution, make each level increase a stat by 1/2, or double everyone's ability scores and have them increase by 1 each level, while mechanically treating them as if they were still halved. Then the stats can maintain their usual balance and everyone is happy.

Newish DM, going to be running Out of the Abyss in a couple of weeks. Any tips from those that have run/played it?

5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/classes.html#Wizard,10

Added The Faithful content. Next: Barbarian Primal Paths.

>I'm better than you because I waste my own free time doing pointless work instead of paying others to create what I already wanted in the first place

I'm getting a serious case of "No RPG group to play with"

I feel like trying to get a half-decent group off of Roll20 is a waste of fucking time, but my current group that's awesome fell apart after nobody could schedule the same time anymore
Should I just find a new group or should I just fucking shoot myself?

>Homebrew is always fucking shit, every time, no exceptions.

Well aren't you just a peach?

I've yet to see a homebrew that improves the game as a whole, the best ones are good for a specific game or circumstance, most make the game demonstrably worse if used.

How do you do the formating for this? What program do you use. I am trying to do a basic left right split text and some tables and its a fucking pain in everything I have tried and looks terrible.

>Why complain that furries are being made into an official race? It's not like you'll be forced to use them XD

I have problems with people ever wanting an Oath of Treachery Paladin around them, and I like the idea of a warrior that uses necromancy. I guess the next best thing would be an EK but I feel as if the spell list and abilities of the Oathbreaker more fit what I have in mind.

This is basically what I had in mind

Would a LE Oathbreaker not at least put up with a goodie-goodie party as a means to justify his ends?

I didn't make this. Talk to reddit.com/user/zDnD

Seriously dude, why do you hate psionics so much?

>why complain that 4e rules are bad? It's not like you'll be forced to use them XD

>Different form of magic == Bestiality fetish

Nice.

I'm a little confused at the notion that WotC somehow has the only people on the planet capable of producing appropriate content for the game.

Today it's psionics, tomorrow this place will be /pfg/, mark my words.

>the syntax of the argument is exactly the same
>not the same argument

They aren't, my comment was entirely my personal experience with looking at, and trying various, homebrew options. Good ones are possible, but are by FAR the minority, and i've yet to experience them.

It's the alchemy trails! They laced the pages of Storm King's Thunder with Potion of Beast Loving!

try the Veeky Forums drawthread, or go find an artist on dA/tumblr/wherever whose style you like and see if they're open for comissions

Ah, that's fair. I know some folks just stand by official content like it's biblical truth and that's just weird to me.

Oathbreakers cannot be anything but Evil, so you could concievably make a Lawful Evil Oathbreaker Paladin that wants to be ina party to gain wealth and power, and eventually turn on them or leave the group to become some evil overlord.
You'll have to talk to your DM about it, though.

Show me on the doll where /pfg/ touched you.

Really we should only be using the original rules with fighting-man, magic user, and cleric as the only classes, everything else is degen as fuck.

Homebrew races can be good, so long as they don't have any scaling level shit. So can homebrew items, again, so long as they don't scale.

I'm in the exact same boat. Suiside is preferable to roll20 bullshit at this point.

What do psions rustle your jimmies? This is an unfamiliar autism to me.

I'm skeptical of the ability generation and stat increase method. Chances are if you offer point buy, no one is going to roll. And if you do roll, that rolling method is a little too harsh. My inclination is to say "3d6 in the order you roll them" since that's the old formula for meat grinder games. But if you're set on really low starting abilities, I think 3d4 is a better approach.

Here's the thing: at least in FR (and this can vary based on your setting if it's homebrew), morality is an objective, universally-defined thing, like a magical element or some shit. You don't get to be LE by being a bit of a douche all the time. It's not Lawful Jerkass, it's Lawful E-V-I-L.

As far as the lore of Oathbreakers are defined (and you can refluff it if your campaign wants), you are E-fuckin'-vil, treat with undead all the time (the creation of which, at least in this form, is always always Evil and soul-tainting), and LITERALLY empowered by some evil entity, feeding you magical shit the way a God channels power to a Cleric. It's different from other Paladins being empowered by the world through the nature of the Oath; there is ostensibly an entity behind the Oathbreaker, and if there's not, it's the world of Evil doing it.

So what exactly did your character do to get down to LE? Why is he still down there? Would a person who's cool with that shit want to hang out with a G-O-O-D party to justify his ends, or would he just pay some fucking murderous jerkboxes who won't balk at his immoral suggestions instead? Villains have henchmen, not peers. What's going to happen to his powers when he does Good shit with the Good party? You can't logic saving the orphanage as an Evil act because everyone liking you gives you cover to be more of a douche, no more than Paladins of yore could logic murdering those badguys as Good because they were dicks.

Oathbreakers, as-is, really don't have much of a reason to be palling around with nice guys, and they don't have much of a reason to like you, either. You're gonna have to work with your DM to change the dynamics of the class, and even then there's still something fucky going on.

Homebrew races for a setting make sense, homebrew races that players want in an established setting irk me.
Still not nearly as bad as homebrew classes. At least races, sub-races, and archetypes have clear, defined, specific metrics to look at and build with.

Get your stupid X-men bullshit out of here.

This is basically what I was looking for - without serious reflavoring/refluffing it simply can't happen. Thanks!

not an argument

I mean, you can wander around with them for a bit, but over the course of a campaign you're probably going to hate each other to the point of breaking up the party or someone is shifting alignments.

Psionics are more of a classic fantasy trope than magic you fat git

>Telekinesis, Telepathy
>PHB pg. 280, 281

Found this a while back, it has Moogles and Qu from FFIX too.

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/H1sIWc_I

I made a custom weapon set and framwork that I feel works better than the default.
Yeah, I think I'm going with 3d4+2. Max is 14, min is 5, average is 9.5 .
Yeah, I just meant mechanically, not thematically. Obviously a half-xenomorph isn't going to quite work in the Forgotten Realms.