EDH/Commander General

Old Thread - Your Favorite "That Guy" Experiences Edition!

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/silent-night-4/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gitrog-in-paper/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ruhans-gonna-bop-you/
edhrec.com/commanders/arjun-the-shifting-flame
articles.edhrec.com/underdogs-corner-round-1-arjun-the-shifting-flame/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/yasova-wrecking-network/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>that guy

literally every narset player i have ever had the misfortune of playing with

They always have that snarky shit eating grin when they pull out their narset deck.

>I was just messing around before, now you'll see my true power level!

I am that guy user:

>walk into my flgs for the second time today
>bring out my Jori-En MLD deck
>start nuking boards while I have planeswalkers out, and start getting various dickass emblems
>when the playgroup has had enough, shift to Lazav and hatefuck the table with their own stuff
>finally, if I'm feeling merciful, I switch to Ghave and combo off turn 5 every single game

I made a narset player rage quit when i casted armaggedon followed by a dropped sire of insanity through kaalia in the first few turns. His deck was the usual extra turns and combat phases.

I have an opportunity to buy a brand new commanders arsenal for $250. Is that a good deal?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/silent-night-4/
So, given that I'm trying not to spend lots and lots of money on cardboard, what could I do it improve this?
I don't know if I'm really going to enjoy playing this, but I want to make one of every color combination, and I'll have to do Dimir sometime.
Ninja tribal ebt seems betterish than Gisa and Geralf Zombies.

>Brewing
UG Partner
>32 Combo Cards
>feelsgood

i want to make something out of the partners but every time i sit down to do it i get bored and stop

With Thrasios, Triton Hero as your commander all you need is actually infinite mana, cast him, draw all your library and win with some unfair combo, pretty easy
The others partners I have no idea what to do with

"a player rage quit when I had cards on the field that anyone who values their time would concede to"

Lmao what 32 combos?

Not 32 combos, but 32 cards each part of a combo
Have 7 infinite mana combo; Hive Minde + Pact combo; Tooth and Nail; Mindslaver + Academy; Stage Depths; Witness + Command; Laboratory Maniac

Played a couple games against my cousin and uncle today. Game 1 was 1v1 vs my cousin. I was running my Sharuum deck (Filigree Angel blink/esper midrange) against my Progenitus deck (tons of land, ramp, card draw, and bombs. Lots of recursion too. Game was fairly anticlimactic. I landed a few utility artifact dudes and a turn 5 Jace Memory Adept, who ulted and drw me into mindslaver and eldrazi displacer, while Progenitus just dropped some fatties that I could effectively ignore or counter.

Game 2 uncle joined in running his 7 mana Teysa Deck (low-power extort/token), cousin kept on Progenitus, both of which making my choice of Breya seem bad (general assassin, very recursion heavy). Uncle got a sizeable life and creature lead, but cousin wiped the board with Supreme Verdict and Fracturing Gust, while recurring Prince of Thralls. I eventually got a Filigree Angel and some rocks to stabilize, and topdecled a Knowledge Exploitation to steal cousin's Praetor's Counsel, allowing me to wrap up the game shortly after with recurring artifact threats and wraths.

Seems like a lot. Do you just want hella combos? Because you could just use the spiciest ones.

Agreed. Narset ban when?

Hella Combos
But what do you suggest?
Thinking for duel commander

It was a redundant narset edh. He always gloated and rubbed it in our faces when he had extra turns and combat phases.

Oh. Idk for duel commander specifically but I'd probably just play umbral mantle + things and Isochron + Dramatic reversal as combos and then make everything else kind of try and assemble those or be control magic.

Weird part of it was after, looking through their decks and cards, when I realized that they were WotC's target demographic. They had a good number of fetches, modern staples, duals, etc, and did t care when I mentioned their price. They had lots of commander precons (more than me, which is a feat), but took nearly none of them.apart, and made real bad decks when they did. They had no idea the names of older sets, and though doing things "in response" to instants felt wrong.

Just kinda an interesting experience to bring be down to earth and realize how most people play.

Fair enough, if he was a shitty dude while playing the deck as well, then we should laugh at him heartily.

I dont think you need all the useless unblockable/low impact guys to make your ninjitsu guys good. I would cut some of those for some more mana rocks and card draw. Plus mass bounce seems really good with your strategy, I would put more of that in too rather than some stuff that doesn't really do much like propaganda and spellbook

Fiance somehow knew to buy me a fucking Kaalia for Christmas. I want it to be strong, but not obvious and boring.

Anyway to go Mardu lifegain while still getting use out of Kaalia's abilities? Want to run the good tribal, but that risks having a completely fucked average cmc.

If you have multiple "you may play an additional land" cards under your control do they each allow an extra land drop or do you still only receive 1 extra?

Well, can use it on my casual table, Primeval titan and Emrakul are banned anyways...
Thanks user

each gives a land drop

They each allow for seperare land drops gaeas touch + exploration = three lands per turn

Thanks a bunch, now I can get to work on a proper Gitrog

How about dragon tribal? You can take advantage of the dragon support from the khans block, such as dragon tempest and the dragon tutor spell,and dragon support in general. There's also 2 creatures that reduces the cost for dragons.
In my opinion, running multiple 2 drop mana rocks work well in kaalia.

This fucker who played an Ur-Dragon deck once (and kept getting mad when I killed his Scion on sight, because I'm not into 1-shot general kill). He tried getting another player to kill me, turning the gme into a 2v2 when I allied with my buddy to counteract their bullshit. (I won that one).

2nd time I saw him he was playing Gay Kings, and cast Obliterate and Jokulhaups for value. Worst part was the other idiot who didn't counter his Jokulhaups because I killed his general early. He also loves bragging about his "taking turns" deck, which I gathered is an infinite turns deck.

The worst pricks are those that think they're clever or special for figuring out combo decks in EDH are good. I ay combos fairly often, but I never act like I've outsmarted my opponents, I just played broken cards faster.

Proper frog you say?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gitrog-in-paper/

I want to make my Edric deck more interesting than your run-of-the-mill flying men version.

Specifically, I want to play up the "spymaster" aspect of it, by running cards that allow me to see other people's hands and the tops of their libraries, things like that. I want to be able to know who has a wrath or a wincon in their hands at all times because I think it'd be a fun, political way of doing things: I'll be an information broker.

Do you guys know any good cards that would help with this? Telepathy I know about, but would rather not run: I always just get annoyed myself when it's played against me, and anyway it reveals information to everyone and not just me. Gitaxian Probe is the kind of thing I'm looking for, and it cantrips, but in EDH a one-and-done instant for such an effect hardly seems ideal. Unfortunately it's hard to search up these kind of effects all that easily with advanced searches.

TL;DR: How to make Edric play like a Spymaster?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ruhans-gonna-bop-you/
Rate, hate?

My build is somewhat similar, just lacking in the more expensive parts like vault/crypt

Run stuff like Alhammaret or Booby Trap, where you have to name a specific card. Also run all the Fact or Fiction varients, lots of clash cards, and anything where you have to guess cards in people's hands. Liars Pendulum and Fertile Imagination seem fun in this deck.

Vault is like 5 dollars senpai

There's are really any repeatable see your opponent hand cards. Most of them are reveal effects that mean everyone sees it.

Closer to $10 my friend, Its nice but I feel like I would end up killing myself with it more often than not

Urza's Glasses

fuck me, it's perfect
bless you

Props to the guy who posted the Braids deck, just finished making my own today and its a blast to play.

If I flash Stonecloaker to block and return it to my hand at the same time, how does that work?

I don't think you can, it's already on its way back to your hand before you can block I think

What's the best deck if I want to have an answer for everything?

You cannot

Declare blockers happens at the beginning of the step, nobody has priority, only stuff that was in play by the end of the declare attackers step can block

However you can block with a thing, then stonecloaker that thing back to your hand to save it. Which can be really strong if that thing was an etb dork. It gets to chump twice and etb twice

Child of Alara creatureless 5 color control

I got a that guy story

>playing newzuri against karador and saskia
>both are essentially that guy but saskia player is the main focus here
>karador is just beating down on everyone sans me, already killed the other guy who was playing athreos
>karador has an army of spawnwrithe
>manage to get him to next turn kill with a unblockable kaseto at 8/8 and fog when karador swings all out
>saskia player literally has nothing out and is only at 3 life and wants to help me kill karador
>thinking it will help me he plays CRACKLING DOOM because it will remove his biggest defender(all the spawnwraithes are 5/5) to let me kill him in his mind
>karador guy goes pic related
>is fully dedicated to it and believes he helped me kill him until he sees I am forced to sac kaseto
>says something like "oh well I couldn't see your board I thought you had more unblockables"
Its more of rage post than anything but fuck does his stupidity piss me off

that 5 color enduring ideal control deck. one guy plays it at my lgs and it turns into archenemy every time.

is it possible to build a deck that plays similar to Lantern in EDH?

>Kaalia
>Not obvious and boring

You can only pick one.

Anybody?

Check eBay and tcg player

Sounds reasonable tho

I used to play against a guy who always thought he would have this amazing brew, would boast about it the entire game and blame his losing on bad luck.
He just couldn't admit he was a bad deck builder and he wouldn't go and adjust the deck to be better. (like adding more removal/ramp)

I played with him more recently a couple of years later and he hasn't changed a bit.

How would I build a fun deck around this guy?

edhrec.com/commanders/arjun-the-shifting-flame

EDHrec is good, not necessarily fun, and everybody knows about it already so linking it is a bit pointless.

On the other hand, this article that happens to be on EDHrec might prove useful. articles.edhrec.com/underdogs-corner-round-1-arjun-the-shifting-flame/
After reading this, I'm considering building it myself.

So guys, I found this for $2.

I decided to try painting it, will post results. Tell me if I did good, and if you think id be embarrassing myself for using the new painted one

Covered it up

improvement already

This is the final product.

I've been told to thin my paints, so I've been trying. It's difficult to cover up all that fucking sharpie, but over all im pretty happy. Honest criticism, would you snicker if your opponent used this in his edh deck?

i think its ugly but not nearly as bad as it was before. i just don't care for that kind of art style.

agreeing with . I'm fucking impressed and if I saw you at the FLGS with it I'd say so, but it's certainly not very pretty.

I appreciate the feedback! And I understand completely, I think it's the only kinda thing I can draw... I'm glad my painting is improving. You don't think that paint is too thick, do you? I'm trying hard to thin my paints, but it is especially difficult to cover that level of damage when doing so.

I'm running it in my endrek sahr deck!

Thanks for the links, they seem very informative.
I'll get to brewing and will hopefully report back eventually
Wish me luck!

>playing mono white old odric soldier/token tribal in a pod with narset spike
>tfw happened to have a opening hand nevermore
>tfw cast it turn 2 naming narset
>that shit eating grin seeing the narset players salt

>I'm running it in my endrek sahr deck!
Well, if that's not a flavor home run then I don't know what is. I can dig it.

Honestly, the paint looks pretty good to me, but if I'm really focusing on it I'm noticing that there are a lot of little black dots, I'm assuming where you lifted your brush or put it down perhaps. I'm not really sure what causes that but it could be something to work on.

The art sucks no matter what. You just managed to make a stupid alter look even worse so congratulations on that

>little black dots

Yeah, I think you're spot on. I'll definately watch that, thank you for the tip, I didn't even notice how many there were. I hope it doesn't take too much away from the final product.

I appreciate your input!

Any of you fellas play 2HG, but modified for EDH?
If so, what rules setup?

It doesn't look worse. The first alter was utter trash. This one is gross but definitely an improvement.
Nice job and getting the damaged copy and trying to make it work. I think your alter could've been better planned/a little more on theme.

80 life, commander damage is 42

Budget Voltron Yasova deck
link: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/yasova-wrecking-network/

Goal is pretty much smash face pretty quick. Prior weaknesses were ramp and color screw, but with some mods I made last week, there's been significant improvement in that aspect

>recent adds: darksteel ingot, exotic orchard, willbreaker, chitinous cloak (w/ vorrac battlehorns makes her unblockable)

>Thoughts and feedback lads?

I understand, and thank you for the response. Yeah, I was trying to do the whole "necro-potent" theme more like fusing of flesh and skin, since I'm running it in my endrek sahr master breeder deck. Thrulls melting together and the like was the idea for it, but I can see it didn't work as well as intended.

Hopefully it looks better across the table!

Both are bad, just giving my two cents

There's a 1 drop blue enchant: Telepathy, tha makes everyone but you play with their hands revealed. One of the other guys i my playgroup played it, and desu I was too lazy to bother looking (6 person game) further than my left and right.

I'm grateful that you responded to me, but would it kill you to read the whole post first?

Thinkin about making a Moonfolk deck because I've never built mono blue but I don't just want it to be boring labman combo control. I've always really liked their weird land-bounce abilities and wished that Wizards had done more with that because (although I've never played with it) it seemed like a neat way to do blue mechanics.

Is it fun? Is pic related a good commander? Patron of the Moon seems nice as well but I feel like this one would be more useful to have continuous access to.

No

shit i'm sorry user. I was excited about that card since I just got one i recently.

It's not necessarily 'spy-eqsue' exactly, but the incorporation of permanent stealing as a thematic expression of espionage turning the tides could definitely be a theme

For this, stuck like the vedalken shackles, empress galina, master of predicaments (free casts for you), sphinx ambassador, and thada adel.

Definitely a strionic resonator, though I got around 10 or so when they were 30 cents each, wish I'd gotten more desu.

I guess if you wanted to push it more aggro spylike, you could run a ninja tribal theme. Stuff like Higure, the Deep hours fellow, etc. Though there's some good rat ninja in black with the discard theme

OP here,
I appreciate your honesty user. Thank you for taking the time to speak your mind!
Is there a particular reason you think my alter is shitty? Because I would like to know, I want to improve.

>I guess if you wanted to push it more aggro spylike, you could run a ninja tribal theme.
I don't know so much about tribal or any of the black ninjas, but thanks for mentioning them -- managed to find this one in advanced search which seems like it would be pretty effective for what I'm looking at doing. Thanks!

I think patron of the moon is more important to the deck, blue doesn't have many ways of putting lands onto the battlefield, and it makes returning lands to your hand feasible instead of extreme tempo loss

ooh that's pretty nice. If your group runs a lot of morph of manifest, you make like keeper of the lens. And no prob man

There's a lot of that subterfuge & infiltration that's in black you won't have access to with an edric led team, but as long as you can do everything you want to, it's all good

Also, simic manipulator is nice for creature stealing. Okay maybe I like stealing folks' stuff too much

Nothing against you I just dislike alters in general. I think its disrespectful to the og artist whenever anyone alters a card, I appreciate what you were trying to do but the art just looks worse, it reminds of a screamo band album cover, but if you like it then its what you wanted and should enjoy it

>just realize there are currently 61 legendary wizards legal in edh

fuck, now i really want to build a all wizards deck

To each their own!
I respect your opinion, and I can see where you are coming from. I was disgusted by the original damage, and did what I could to make it playable for me. I do see alters as disrespectful as well, but I think extended borders, (something I cannot do) are the opposite, I see them as almost a tribute to the original artist.

Thank you for taking the time to write out more than just "it's shit", for real. Now I understand

It works pretty well with that blue 'tap a wizard to draw a card' slut

>tfw Azami + docent of perfection +intruder alarm (or the new paradox engine)

Oh no, who could have known that blue could combo with itself

>paradox engine

Exactly which card is it based off of? I know planar bridge is an upgraded planar portal

>Narset is autistic in the lore

Way too meta for me.

Why do people like you play EDH?

Art style isn't my cup of tea but it's unique, doesn't purport to be a good alter but then proceed to have horrible edgework and sloppy paint layering, and it's got personality. Neat/10

Unless you absolutely need the foils, dont buy that

To finish Vial/Kraum I'd spend $50 less than to buy all of Descent 2E, all of it, and it's only 25 cards I'm missing.

How did we let it come to this?

>Narset player at my store.
>He's a not an autistic spazz, but is a total Spike, and acknowledges that.
>When he's not playing Narset, he's playing Memnarch, Atarka, World Render, General Tazri, or Purphoros.
>He's either winning Turn 4-5, or getting hated off the board with no remorse.
>He never gets salty about it, evening saying shit like "Nah dude, I get it. Narset is gross."
>Mfw
It's so refreshing and great.

I once had an asshole betray me at a GP.
We knew each other from the LGS and he needed half a pod's prize tickets to get himself a GP Vegas playmat he wanted so he asked me to team up in the last pod of the night and split the tickets, Since half the tickets were more than I needed to get a deck I wanted from the prize table I said yes. I was playing Teysa.
We were called to our table and the other two players were Tarland and Jeleva who were obviously teaming up as well. Two hours later after a billion counter wars, when Jeleva was hellbent I Thoughtseized Tarland to check for counters and Buried alive Mike and Trike with Reassembling Skeleton to use the Victimize I had in hand and end this bullshit, exept my Victimize got countered by my faggot "friend".
The turn after Jeleva top decked Enter the Infinite and we lost.
I went on to sell the tickets I already had for actual fucking dollars and bought the deck I wanted at one of the vendors, he had to go home with like 40 Snickers that were the only thing remaining at the table he could actually trade for. The fucker is allergyc to peanuts and spent months trying to sell his Snickers at the LGS despite the LGS selling snacks themselves.

What was the faggot playing? What else.

Found that all decks in the local meta are control decks. Had to balance between playing a deck that would just fuck with control (Teferi maybe?) or just NOT spending a ton of cash on MTG and finding something else to do with my time.

I decided not to bother in the end. I don't have enough free time at the moment anyway.

>playing EDH at a GP

it's an improvement over your other alters but i don't understand what is your fascination with drawing these grotesque spaghetti monsters on cards

>would you snicker
i'd mostly be wtfing at your face