Magical AND Futuristic Settings in D&D?

Hey, I was wondering if anybody has ever done a setting that involved futuristic and magical elements. If so, did you allow futuristic technology AND magic to coexist, or did you try to explain magic using futuristic terms? I would love a game that had both elements, but I'm not sure how that would be done without totally killing the logic and immersion.

Looks like someone has never heard of Shadowrun or Titansgrave.

Spelljammers, for one.

Pathfinder is coming out with such a system later next year, as is Dreamscarred Press.

Rolemaster had Darkspace, which was a terrifying journey into mindflayer ruled space, where basic Rolemaster magic had little effect and only the ancient secrets of arcane magic had any real potency.

Yeah no, I'm pretty new to tabletops in general. Thanks for the suggestions though, I'll definitely have to take a look at how they handle magic and technology together.

Awesome, thanks for the info, I'll have to take a look at those.

Consider not playing D&D because D&D is meant to play a very specific kind of game, and depending on the edition and setting they can be different types of D&D games.

>Titansgrave
I've heard of shadowrun, but not this one...

D&D (pr PF) is a system for playing basic fantasy tropes, very barebones although easy and accessible combat and killing shit and taking their stuff.

If you wanna play futuristic settings you use a different rule system, many of whom been already mentioned itt.

An idea for getting started with Shadowrun is using the 3e ruleset instead of the current 5e?

Alright, thanks for the clarification!

It's called d20 modern and it's not very good.

Man, I'll have to take a look at that.. I'm SUPER new to any editions and systems other than 5e D&D. Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll have to see what editions and systems work and I'll definitely take a look at the 3e version.

I run moƩ-fied, monstergirl/boy-ified Planescape campaigns wherein technology is effectively modern-day by way of enchanted items. I use little sci-fi tech; real-world science need not apply.

The Society of Sensation's recorder/sensory stones can record data, so they are used as the basis for computers, digital media, audio/video/smell captures, and the like.

The Harmonium desires to connect everyone together in harmony, so they have tapped into their musical affinity to transmit data via magical sound waves that pass through the Astral Plane. This is called the "Harmonet."

In the streets of Sigil and other planar cities, one can frequently see celestials, fiends, cordians, elementals, faeries, and mortals walking around with little crystals, bones, or shards of metal. These trinkets project "tactile illusion screens" that respond to touch and serve as the interface for what amounts to smartphones. Each of these phones has a helpful sapient A.I. within them called a "mimir," which is really just the awakened object-spirit of the phone itself.

Belief is power in the planes, and thus Harmonet memes are extremely serious business.

In the average planar creature's household, there might be a scry-levision that receives feeds from the Harmonet in the Astral Plane, a refrigerator and a cooling system powered by eternal ice from the Paraelemental Plane of Ice, and a computer with a quad-soul processor.

Businesses and buildings are likewise rather modern. There are department stores, beauty salons, nightclubs, and more. You might be attended to by a lesser guardinal store clerk (those compassionate Elysians simply love to help people!) as you go about shopping for a lightbulbs powered by Continual Flame spells.

There are no cars though. Intra-city and inter-city portals are a more convenient method of transportation, and for when people do need vehicles, they can always take spelljammers (which work more like 4e's spelljammers in that they can traverse the planes).

I keep seeing this post everywhere...

I believe you may be interested in Dragonstar
It contains a galaxy spanning empire ruled my dragons and due to its lore you could easily say that any standard D&D world is simply one that hasn't discovered space travel

Kitsune-poster is trying to ruin all D&D forever.

D&D can never be ruined, it is simply reborn.

Sorry :(

Shadowrun is pretty complex, crunchy and not exactly an easy way to introduce yourself or your newbie friends to the hobby. It IS one of the better scifi RPGs out there though, but you might want to get started with something easier if you don't have lots of experience with arpegees already.

D&D Eberron is a good "modern life but disguised as fantasy" setting, It's basically urban/"noir" put in a decently high fantasy world, or fantasy Indiana Jones.
And since it'll use D&D 4e/5e it'll fairly simple to DM.

Eberron isn't modern life. It's World War I at best.

I did magitech. It included leyships, traveling inside ley lines to reach anywhere in the planet and beyond.

You might want to check the Eberron setting and the Pathfinder setting has a suplement dealing with the other planets.

Protip: according to D&D 5th, the best defense against antimatter is an extra layer of zombies on your space cruiser.

>1920's
>not modern

I have been working on a setting where the future tech is powered by magic. Raw magic acts as a power source and circuits for tech is created by sigils.
Spelljammers and Shadowrun were influences. On a Pale Horse by Piers Anthony is the biggest influence.

Star Trek.

In my homebrew, A coalition of races far in the future fought a war against a deep evil and lost. entire sections of the galaxy were ripped out of time into a separate dimension where classical fantasy realms existed, just as that dimension's inhabbitants were about to start their wars against the same god. due to the survivors' abilities to travel between worlds (helped by the fact that most of their tech remained just intact enough to be useful) and having two analogous races (not!eldar and humans to elves and humans) they were able to share technology and build a strong enough coalition to stop the dark god. Now, Futuristic tech blended with eldritch magics are the norm. Power armored figures with Greatswords of brilliant energy dot the landscape fighting dragons and shit. pretty dope overall.

Nice, that's pretty interesting! Now for your homebrew, what system and edition are you using out of curiosity?

Protip: when people say modern, they mostly mean present day.

>but I'm not sure how that would be done without totally killing the logic and immersion.

Final Fantasy seems to get away with it every now and then. Simply going into it knowing it'll be a matinee romp instead of a serious attempt to create a completely consistent world may be all it takes.