How much does your game cost?

Time for a thought experiment!

How much does it cost to play your game Veeky Forums?

Rules: All the models and components to play, at current MSRP.
Not introductory level, how much does a tournament level (standard level) game cost to play for one person?
All prices in USD at today's exchange rate.

Rules

I'll do mine first.

Battletech
Standard Lance (4 Mechs) 60 USD (15$ average per 'mech)
Total Warfare (Tournament Rulebook) 11.24$

>Total cost for a tournament ready force: 71.24$

Another one, Victory at Sea
Battle 4 Force (Tournament Level)
GHQ HMS Hood 16.95
GHQ HMS Vanguard 16.95
GHQ HMS Ark Royal 19.95
GHQ HMS Yorkshire 11.95
GHQ HMS Belfast x2 23.90
Rulebook 29.54
Order of Battle Rulebook: 29.54

>Total: 148.78$

Your turn!

(My games are actually cheaper, but I didn't include the sale prices that the rulebooks have on them right now, since MSRP is what we are going for here. Saves about 30 bucks for Victory at Sea.)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Chessex-CHX-001d6-lb-o-D6-Dice/dp/B0015IUA7O
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Huh, I did not know that battletech was that cheap for tournaments.

Less then 100 bucks? How the hell do they make any money?

Tons and Tons of setting books.

Battletech fans spend hundreds on fluff books that expand the universe.

The core rules are cheap to hook you in, the gameplay is solid to keep you, and every faction you can dream of probably has a fluff book somewhere.

It'll be at least an hour or two for the 40k players to tally up their totals op, may as well wait for a bit.

Well I like to play twilight Imperium, so like, 60 bucks all in OP.

Shots fired.

This may be the one thread that 40k players avoid.

How much is flames of war? Curious to find out.

40K: around £400-£600 variable on faction, a surprising chunk of this is rulebooks with maybe £150 on new units and book refreshes

Magic - Modern: Around $1,000-$1,500 for a Modern deck plus maybe $30 per expansion

Magic - Standard: Around $400 per 18 months spread over that period

Firestorm Armada: Around £200

Dropfleet Commander: Around £200

Pen & paper: typically between £25 and £60 depending on game, consider 1 game a year on average though this tails off as you acquire more books and can revisit a game without needing to rebuy it

What's that in USD?

40k: 488~733 USD
FS Armada: 244 USD
DFC: 244 USD
Pen and Paper: 31~74 USD

Yeah sorry, I shop in GBP but even in Britain Magic singles are normally valued in dollars, makes comparison difficult.

Infinity 300 pt Force:
1x UMBRA LEGATE (K1 Combi Rifle)
1x MAAKREP TRACKER (MULTI Sniper Rifle)
1x FRAACTA (Combi Rifle)
1x RODOK (2 Light Shotguns)
1x RODOK Hacker (EI Assault Hacking Device) (Boarding Shotgun)
1x RODOK (HMG)
1x RODOK Paramedic (MediKit) (Boarding Shotgun)
3x UNIDRON (Plasma Carbine)
1x Q-DRONE (HMG)
1x E-DRONE (Combi Rifle)

Rulebook is free online

$93.56 USD

93 Dollars for 12 models?

And you tards say that 40k is overpriced? I could get 40 tactical marines for the same price.

>I could get 40 tactical marines for the same price.
Yes, and all will be ugly and useless in game.
But meanwhile, remind me price for average 40k 1,5k points army?

>mfw the infinity fags tell me team yankee is too expensive
>when each of them have at least two full infinity forces each

But why would anyone pay MSRP on anything ?

Not that guy, but here in the UK with our pricing, it's roughly £130-150 or so for a 1500 point army, assuming you pay RRP.

>it's roughly £130-150 or so for a 1500 point army
With all Super Heavy?

Break down that list, I'd love to see it, because I highly doubt you'd have a competent tourney list for 130 lbs.

no
the only superheavy in the 1500pts range is a reaver titan.

for 180 you get the arms and carapace weapon, and still need the 465pound body.
how tounament worth/legal this is, i dont know

For Infinity, my total Kazak collection -- which is probably more like 450 or so points total -- is roughly $181, with the rulebook available online.

My standard competitive list, though, is $114 for everyone.

The real thing that fucks you up if you play Infinity is how cheap it is to pick up a 200 pt army for any single faction, especially if your FLGS plays a bit at that level instead of only at 300 pts. My ASA army cost me a sum total of $90, and now all I would need is to toss on less than fifty or so in order to get a full 300 pt list. And when you can start a new faction for $90, you end up with a lot of incentive to dabble.

Also, terrain will fuck you, if you end up wanting to buy nice stuff to play with other than just whatever is available at your store.

Shit, just thinking about secondary armies now, I actually don't think there's anyone but two of our 9 Infinity players that only run a single sectorial.

>Kazaks, ASA, probably JSA in the future
>Military Orders, Caledonians
>All different shades of Haqq
>USAriadna, Corregidor
>JSA, Tohaa
>Literally every faction in the game
>JSA, Morats
>Straight USAriadna
>Straight ALEPH

>Also, terrain will fuck you, if you end up wanting to buy nice stuff to play with.

Tin cans and shoeboxes. Paint em up, dirt cheap, look good/industrial.

That definitely works, and there's some really great cheap MDF terrain out there, but we've got a JSA player who spent a good deal making an amazing JSA board that's styled as a traditional retreat, complete with cherry trees, torii, and a dojo. And then I hopped in on a neat kickstarter for a table of magnetized habitation blocks that are crazy versatile for everything from a colony to a black science lab.

Bro the battle tech starter box goes for like $300+

You mean the out of print Starter Box?

Because when it came out it retailed for 54.99, I know, I own four of them.

But to start battletech, all you need is a copy of total warfare, and four mechs. The Starter box is nice, but 300$ is not MSRP. The starter box also doesn't get you Tournament legal force, it uses the old Lvel 1 rules (called intro now) and TW gets you level 2 rules (called standard or tourney) now.

Isn't the total warfare book the one that tells you not to read it first, and use the starter box?

Just re-read the start of TW, doesn't say that. Quick start rules are online for free (but don't have heat rules)

Intro rules are in the (not available) box set. But again, TW has all those rules + more to bring you to what is considered the 'standard' ruleset for the game. So TW is the smarter purchase. The reason fans loved the boxset was for the boardgame quality map sets, and the Loki/Thor mechs they included.

So I'll stand by my assesment as TW being the rules book for beginners.

Not him but...
>implying you can only play tournies to have fun.

FIne, what is a standard point list for 40k, and what is the cost of purchasing that list?

That's not what OP asked for, though.

Shh, don't confuse the GW Redshirt, affordable games make his head hurt. Trust me, he'll start randomly screaming "KILL TEAM BUT BUT KILL TEAM" while running around flailing and frothing at the mouth.

I don't understand why you faggots get into price war arguments all the time. You shouldn't be playing a game based on how much money you save on it, but how much you enjoy it and if you can afford it.

You know what's the cheapest wargame? Not buying or playing anything.

>You shouldn't be playing a game based on how much money you save on it, but how much you enjoy it and if you can afford it.

Very true. But 40k has shit rules, costs way too much, is in the wrong scale, etc.

There is also the irresponsibility of a game company that wants to keep a community growing but sets the entry bar at 500$ or more. They risk stagnating the community, which could lead to the death of the game. The only reason I think people still play 40k is they don't want to lose out on their investment.

I tell potential new tabletop players to look into cheaper games first, to see if they are interested.

>Implying I don't play other games.

X-wing is pretty fun and relatively cheap. :)

>price war argument
I don't see much arguing in this thread, senpai.

Yep, Tournament level force, basically the minimum force to compete, and how much that would cost.

It's a good metric.

I made a game and it costs a google docs account, VOIP (we use discord because it requires a lot of secrecy and the ability to move around without ending calls is nice), and 4+ friends.

So i wanted to buy all of the books for 3/3.5 D&D because my group is big into it. Fuck that. I was looking at over 2 grand (i think the actual number i came up with was 2400). So i bought an office laserjet printer and 2 toner cartriges and printed off all 60ish books (multiple copies of the player handbooks) for less than 400 bucks. Then i got them collated and bound for around another 100 bucks.
That left me free to put that extra 2 grand into miniatures and terrain supplies.

In the years since i did this btw, i have run weekly sessions for this group and others with everything from small scale shit to entire sieges and armies worth of minis.

Yeah, I buy the PDFs sometimes and print them out at staples.

Still waiting on that 40k list cost...

about $350ish or so for each of my 40k armies back in 1999-2005 then about $700usd for my current admech war convocation.

I have spent about $90ishh on infinity
about $100 on FoW (part of that was a roll form y 3d printer)
about $100 or so for my Xwing list.

Still waiting for an average cost with math to prove accuracy.

>There is also the irresponsibility of a game company that wants to keep a community growing but sets the entry bar at 500$ or more. They risk stagnating the community, which could lead to the death of the game. The only reason I think people still play 40k is they don't want to lose out on their investment.

You know that GW make half a dozen entry-level games, right? Betrayal at Calth, Burning of Prospero, Stormcloud Attack, Kill Team, Gorechosen and Bloodbowl are all quite affordable and most of them allow you to use their models in 40k / AoS.

Anyway, to actually put a number on a competitive tournament-size 40k list, I'd guess that a typical one would be something like five eldar 'start collecting' boxes and three of their flyers, so £370 GBP / $620 USD. Plus another £80/$135 for books, plus glue, paint, tools and so on.

Yes, that's a lot of money, but the miniatures are generally OK value on a per-miniature basis (except for characters) compared to the competition and some of them are excellent sculpts (although there are also many bad ones).

However, if you want to play other wargames, you probably need to have armies for about four or five games to be able to play regularly unless one of them is really popular in your local gaming scene. There simply aren't enough players of any of the second-tier games to make playing just one of them a fair contrast with 40k.

The only wargame which really can boast that it's a more reasonable alternative to 40k is x-wing.

I agree with you on many things,but i thought it is normal to have a thriving warmahordes community?(i have no idea never played the game). Also kill team is the only viable starter game from GW,the Others are in no way conceived as starter games and i would Like to Point out that BB models do not fit in the slightest on an AoS game. Finally yes,GW's infantry is decently priced,but i would Like to Point out that considering the most expensive thing about a miniature is paid only once and that GW makes much more sales than other manifacturers they could lower them even more. Finally,what do you mean with playing regularly? I usually have no problems getting one game a week and two sometimes. You only need to know three players for that to happen you don't even need a community.

Well, the last few months i've only had time to run a quest instead of proper tabletop. So it costs only my dignity and self respect, mostly.

I help run an x wing campaign at my lgs so roughly $1300 in just miniatures. Shit adds up

>There simply aren't enough players of any of the second-tier games to make playing just one of them a fair contrast with 40k.

That's a bold statement, and false.

>Shadowrun 5e
I'll include the books that I actually use, and the materials my group uses.

Box of 36 small dice: $7.39
Core PDF (drivethrurpg): $15.00
Pathfinder Flip Mat $15.00
Dry-erase markers $10.00
Pathfinder pawns (minis):$30.00 (about $10 per hundred)
(PDF) Run Faster: $18.74
(PDF) Run & Gun $18.74
(PDF) Chrome Flesh: $18.74
(PDF) Street Grimoire $18.74
Chummer(for chargen) Free

$152.35 if buying all PDFs
$62.39 if pirating all PDFs

$97.35 if joining existing game and only need PDFs and dice
$7.39 if joining an existing game and pirating

Pirating isn't nice, Shadowrun needs that money.

>for 180 you get the arms and carapace weapon, and still need the 465pound body.

Jesus, for 200 lbs I could buy some Firestorm Armada dreadnaughts and just wire them together into something that looks like a Titan. Same amount of resin probably.

I like that you included the d6 purchase. We all know how that goes omae.

Shadowrun PDF: 15.00
Chessex Pound of D6: 55.00
Total: 70$

I'm roflmaoing this very moment.

>It's twue, it's twuuue!

It's cheaper than 40k, but not by much. Also depends on who you get your models from. Will cost you anywhere from 100 to 200 USD for a full company.

See that's the good thing about FoW, they don't give a shit who's models you use, so you can actually field a decent army without breaking the bank.

Most people outside GW stores don't care about which models you use either.

labyrinth lord pdf - $0
DM screen cut from scrap cardboard - $0
dungeon binder - $2
200pc graph paper - $5
5 Pens - $2
16d6 - $3
4d20 - $1
4d4 - $1

$14.00

pen & paper bitches

>buying
>pdfs
It's a donation and it's your choice to make

>55 ameribux worth of d6s

Well, most people don't play 40k, so I mean, that's technically true.

Most 40k players havea big shitfest if your SpaceMarines look like modern Afghanis.

See this bag of dice? That's a pound of six sided dice.

You'll need about three bags for the average Shadowrun game, probably four if you are playing with a decker or any expansions.

Actually user, that looks like a pound of all dice, not just D6s.

You trying to slide something by me in meatspace sonny?

>Historicals are superior because they don't care if I use another company's historical miniatures to play a historical, but 40k sucks ass because they won't let me use historical miniatures to play their heroic scale sci-fi game

There's a reason nobody uses space marines to play FoW.

Yep.

If I was playing GW games, I wouldn't be allowed to source from 3rd parties and still play the game.

FoW just doesn't give a shit.

Because people who own Space Marines are too fucking dumb to play Flames of War.

Mystery Solved.

People who play FoW are too dumb to play Bolt Action.

No one plays bolt action. And even if someone did, Force on Force is way better.

No one really plays any of the games we're talking about, sadly.

Except Xwing SWAM and Btech.

The pound of d6 is a different thing. You can get it on Amazon for $13.30.
>amazon.com/Chessex-CHX-001d6-lb-o-D6-Dice/dp/B0015IUA7O
>contains 80-100 dice

I'm guessing that all this time you've been buying the mixed pound-o-dice bags and just sifting through them for d6s?

Yeah X-Wing has gotten huge. I guess our actual universe and history just isn't as appealing as the Star Wars and 40K universes.

Be fair, most historical game players don't go to a FLGS, so they don't seem to be as big a part of the population. But look at Cold Wars and other events they have, there's a HUGE historical gaming community. They just aren't very vocal, being composed mostly of middle aged men who grew out of Veeky Forums40k/tardism a while ago.

There's a very small but dedicated FoW group here. Mostly made up of middle aged and older guys. I'm 28 and I might have been one of the younger guys at the last tournament.

Went to the LGS and the Flames of War/Team Yankee stuff had be relegated to the back corner and replaced by X-Wing. Owner said that it really moves though so I'm glad it's keeping the lights on.

X-Wing was the second best selling game in 2015. I suspect it outsold 40k in units in 2016. The amount of bitching from the 40k aspies when the 'unkillable' game gets dethroned is going to make me so happy.

The third party market for 40k is huge. I just bought some bits to convert some Catachans to the cast of Predator. Most people don't care if you use 3rd party models for 40k as long as you're not at a GW store.

Can't we dabble in all war games and not get clannish about this shit. Just collect, model, paint, and play what you like.

No, and stop trying to push that citadel wash bullshit on me redshirt. Go back to self-fellating over the newest GW release that costs 140 dollars for some guy in a termie costume.

Should materials for paints etc also factor in? I mean, transport cost you can probably exclude, but if applicable, how much do tools and materials set you back?

I ignored that. If you wanted to, assume 50 bucks for painting and glue.

I actually keep a record of how much I've spent on Kingdom Death, excluding shipping. USD 1599 for almost everything, not including the v1.5 kickstarter

X-Wing was #1 seller in ICv2 at some point, but that doesn't mean anything as those figures don't count all sales, just retailer sales from retailers who bothered to report sales. I guarantee you GW products as a whole, and maybe 40K alone outsold both Warmachines and X-Wing, even though those two sometimes rank higher on reported sales for ICv2.

If the X-Wing growth keeps up it can one day surpass GW though.

No, I only bought one of these things, so the rest are shit.

Wait, so ICv2 says that X-Wing outsold 40k?

Why wouldn't you believe that stat?

Because ICv2 doesn't even count GW direct sales, FW sales, or GW store sales. It's not even a complete sample size, why the fuck would you say with any sort of conclusiveness that X-Wing outsold 40K when you don't even have all the data, and know for a fact that a good chunk of 40K sales aren't even counted?

Just because Clinton won the vote in some states doesn't mean she became president.

She did get more overall votes, though.

And are you saying ICv2 doesn't reflect reality because you say so? I assume you habe better metric up your sleeve.

I just spent 10 dollars on fake plants for my jungle bases.

People bitch about HQs costing 30 bucks, but you can usually find the pre-Finecast metal versions of most HQs for like 10 bucks on ebay.

This

Also, why has Veeky Forums stopped calling out that one trollanon with less-than-fluent English? Seems to be all over these threads.

>one

The English errors are pretty distinctive, and it's not a crazy number of posts. Could easily be made by one reasonably dedicated and time-rich individual.

I've gotten about half of my ogre army, in Sigmar, second hand and the other half bought in a store. About 12-13k points total. all prices are rounded and from memory.

1 greaseus ($60, OOP)
2 tyrants ($80)
2 firebellies ($40)
4 butchers ($40)
1 Skaarg ($60, OOP)
1 Golfag Maneater ($40)
1 ninja maneater ($40)
1 pirate maneater ($40)
1 araby maneater ($40)
1 Bragg the Gutsman ($40)
36 ogre bulls ($240)
32 ironguts ($320)
18 leadbelchers ($180)
120 gnoblar ($150)
14 converted maneaters ($100 for the bitz)
3 ironblasters ($120)
20 mournfang ($300)
14 frostsabres ($140)
3 hunters ($120)
3 stonehorn ($180)
3 thundertusks ($180)
12 yhettee ($160)

So about $2670 total for the whole lot, plus another $100-$200 in bases (if not more,) all the dozens and dozens of paints ($4 a piece,) several cans of primer ($20 each,) several/a dozen brushes ($9-$17 each,) all the glue, green stuff, basing kits, and the books,I easily have over $3000 at MSRP.

However, between getting about 1/3 of this lot for $400, and buying the rest of it almost exclusively in bundles, I've paid, at most, about half of what this is all worth.

All the supplies probably cost about as much as I put into models, DESU.

There is at least two of us.

Hahaha, there's a bt box available right fucking now for about 60 dollars with like 20 minis. It's sitting on my table right now.

Ignoring the dozens of manufacturers that make ww2 miniatures and models. God damn, you don't HAVE to use their overpriced garbage.

Let's try to do a low and high end for Malifaux

>Basic stuff
Rules Manual - $12
Generalist upgrade deck - $10

Total: $22 at MSRP

>Rasputina on a budget
Rasputina's Box - $45
December Acolytes - $21
Silent Ones - $18
Snowstorm - $35

Total: $119 + $22 = $141 at MSRP

You could drop another $35 by skipping Snowstorm and still have a 50SS crew, but it'd kind of suck.

>Kirai, her entire summoning pool, and some extras
Kirai's Box - $50
Datsue Ba - $30
Izamu - $16
Gaki - $21 (?)
Shikome - $16
Goryo - $16 (?)
Drowned - $21
The Hanged - $16 (?)
Night Terrors - $35 (!!)
Rotten Belles - $21
Flesh Construct - $16
Nurses - $16
Molly's Box - $45
Yan Lo's Box - $40

Total: $359 + $22 = $381 at MSRP

Webstore is down for the holidays so I'm estimating some prices. Also, in reality you'd probably spend a bit more to actually be able to play Yan Lo and Molly properly, so you'd end up paying ~$150 each for three different masters instead of basically buying two models for $40 and $45 because they're only available in crew boxes.

Which is pretty much how they get you. The game doesn't use fixed lists, so it never hurts to expand, and eventually you're going to be tempted to buy out basically your entire faction. I've dumped at least $1k into over ten masters across two factions, and I've still got a wish list.

But what about quality?