/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

>Latest News
Paladin UA is out! dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/paladin-sacred-oaths/
Be sure to fill out the survey on Monks
sgiz.mobi/s3/a6ca24df7196

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5emegaanon's super useful tools, check 'em out if you haven't yet.
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous thread (checked)

Have you considered reading the 4E DMG? There's a lot of helpful information in there to help you stop being such a huge faggot when you DM.

what.

That can be said of any DMG

Not the 5e dmg. By far the most useless collection of dming advice I've ever seen

So, let's imagine a Demon managing to obtain a position of power in a city, be it directly (impersonating a ruler or the like) or indirectly (blackmail, secret deal that means powerful people must obey, etc), with everyone unaware of it. The Demon knows making the city more Evil would be likely sniffed up pretty quickly.

How would the Demon makes thing more Chaotic?

I'm a brand new DM for a brand new group. I am running them through a short (5ish encounter) dungeon first to give them the ropes. What would be a good campaign to start off with after that? I have heard many good things about the Lost Mine of Phandelver

Starts Mass Sending at 3AM about the failing butcher shop that won't slice meat to fit his perfectly-sized hands. Sad!

Continuing the discussion: magic use in the city is forbidden, unless you're a cop trying to take down a mage, in which case you have to document every use of magic.

Generally speaking anything justifiable in the pursuit of illegal mages is permitted.

Detect magic is used regularly in investigations.

>some retarded city bans magic
>my city encourages them
>quality of life improves across the board
>begin to flex my enormous economic and industrial advantage throughout the region
>engage in economic terrorism against anti-mage city by sending magical agitators
>anti-mage city forced to spend massive amounts of money and manpower on fruitless mage hunts just because we get some bird to fly in there and start shocking grasping shit
>anti-mage government forced to crack down even harder on its citizenry who MUST be hiding wizards
>eventually their tyranny outpowers their anti-mage propaganda and the citizenry up and fucking leaves for my paradise
>anti-mage city is now nothing more than a stinking mudhole full of faggots with glowing eyes and daddy issues
gg retards

Reuploading for the new thread

Why are you so mad about this?

>implying magic is common enough to do that

Sure, this would be difficult and retarded to eberron or planescape, but in the standard low magic setting, it works.

pls

>anyone who says "faggot" and "retard" is mad
You're the one who's so upset about casters that you've invented a whole city to piss on them, retardfaggot

>in which case you have to document every use of magic
Make them use spell scrolls.

Hire all the loose cannon cops cops. The ones that won't be stopped by the law or regulations to solve a case. Have public figures make equally public statements about police brutality when one of them inevitably fucks up and a bystander/innocent person gets roughed up.

Play up the current crimes going on as a crime spree. Talk about how children should be kept home for safety's sake. Talk about arms control/confiscation to reduce crime, so arms ownership goes up. Undermine relations and trust between the public and the government.

None of these will significantly increase crimes or "evil," but it will still worry law-abiding, moral citizens and put them on edge, and make them more likely to react explosively with the right spark.

Huh? The guy you're responding to isn't the guy who is running the city. I'm the dm testing this concept out, and I'm doing it mainly because I think it would add a fun element of intrigue when my party inevitably tries to play rogue wizards.

For worldbuilding sake, you have to have the general populace hate/fear magic. Have history of fireball attacks on important people and random stores. Have there be an evil cult doing all this work causing chaos for the good of their god.

As says, it can't JUST be the government picking fights with magic users, it has to be everyone. And don't have those anti-magic force spring up after a year, have them exist for centuries before actually getting a home city after they helped capture and kill a few powerful cult wizards.

Everyone will hate magic, make most of your guards able to cast detect magic, guard captains can cast hold person. Lieutenants can cast counterspell. The four leaders of the order have your antimagic field bullshit.

>bro just spend more money than farmers make in a year to cast a level one spell

What anti magic field bullshit? This is the second time someone has brought up anti magic fields as if I've mentioned them, and I haven't, except in response to the first time.

>Okay, Frank, Jim, just remember that this city is full of wizard haters and they're going to throw you in jail if you try to cast any magic.
>Okay, we don't cast any magic.
wow, hard

or
>Is there anyone around?
>No.
>We cast magic.
>THE GUARDS COME FOR YOU
>How did they see us?
>Detect Magic!
>That's not how that spell works, DM
>IT IS NOW, REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>Okay, we teleport away and go home. I'm taking the Doritos.

Why aren't they using anti-magic field bullshit though?

I assume because Anti-magic fields are high-level MAGIC that the ANTI-MAGIC city can't deploy because they hate magic...

Because in a low magic setting the number of people capable of casting an 8th level spell might number on one hand.

Best starting point is Lost Mines.
If someone in the group has already run that, you can try chapter 6 of Princes of the Apocalypse. It's an optional part of it and it leads into the main campaign if you do want to carry on.

Not bad.

Do you think putting the loose cannons in charge of the cops would be better? Or is it too obvious?

>first it was a whole country
>now it's just a city
>now it's a city in a low-magic setting
If I come back in an hour will you be arguing how it's actually reasonable that the Antimagic Gestapo be able to keep wizards out of the bathroom of their own HQ?

Antimagic Field is the wet dream of anti-casters. It literally makes a level 20 Wizard only able to use a quarterstaff and get fucked, in that order.

Anybody seriously against magic would consider how to get this done permanently in important areas or able to have it on them as they go.

Give out free healthcare, apparently.

I thought the anti-magic police had a massive library of spells?

Quote the post where I said it was a whole country.

Honestly, you could fuck things up in the police department a lot of ways at the top.

You could put in a civilian official from the budget department as the head of police, and have him reduce salaries or headcount in the police department. The cops won't trust him because he didn't have any field training, and now there's a conflict within law enforcement as well.

A loose cannon cop would work too, someone who would defend the actions of the police (regardless of how justifiable or legal) and worsen public relations.

Or you can get a complete toady who fawns over the people in charge and who can't exert control over the police department, such that there are a lot of loose cannons who ignore his orders and which he can't restrain.

This is the user from I'm fully against anti-magic gestapo in the first place, largely because if they have magic to suppress magic, then they're not really anti-magic but instead are just tyrants who want to control how magic is used.

If it's low magic, how come the common beat cops have spells?

There's nothing wrong with that.

Magic is a Goddess-given right of the People
It's in the Constitution
Why do you hate our country?

They do. It's mostly notes confiscated from wizards who refused to join up when the original banning took place, and spell books smuggled into the city, confiscated as the centuries went on.

The police don't destroy these because the long term goal of the policy at the start was to fix the issues that make magic particularly dangerous, and make it legal again.

Over time it might have shifted more towards a power grab by politicians using the Inquisition for personal goals, but the library is maintained anyways.

See above. Do you want every government to be some sort of libertarian paradise in your settings, instead of occasionally corrupt constructions made of people of varying moralities?

My corrupt governments just sell their souls to devils and run protection rackets, not try to put a hypocritical kibosh on magic use with the most retarded means of enforcement conceivable.

What happens to the wizards that do join up?

Honestly I like the idea of a city in a low-magic setting where magic is readily available but heavily regulated through scrolls. The city government would have a department of artificers to maintain a supply of low-power scrolls.

Anybody can apply for a scroll through a lengthy applications process, though certain professions (i.e. EMTs, police) would have greater access to certain scrolls. Wizards have a regulated spellbook, and must complete certification processes and apply for permits to be able to add them to their spellbooks. Of course, aftermarket/black market spellbooks and scrolls are also in fairly high supply.

This way the average nonmagical citizen feels as if he's benefiting from magic far more than a city where magic can be freely used but is based upon the whims of wizards, and would support a system where Wizards (who are also the source of scrolls) are regulated.

spells it out perfectly.

imo, contrary to popular belief, low-magic settings actually INCREASE the power of magic by restricting its prevalence. If every nation can fling fireballs and teleport, then everyone is on an even playing field, but if only five people in the whole world can cast 9th level spells, then those 5 people are vastly more powerful than even the most powerful mundane empires. Someone capable of casting gate and pulling an archfiend into the mortal plane in the midst of not!Rome is on a completely different level than even the most influential politician or nobleman.

No, I just think that in a Low-Magic setting, magic isn't prevalent enough to inform policy. Nobody can persecute actual mages to a meaningful degree in a truly low-magic setting.

imo, a mid-magic setting is best, where mages are rare, but common enough that most noble courts would have access to a court wizard of moderate (7th-11th) level. That way you can actually enforce persecution against non-sanctioned mages. Most mages will either be low level (due to having to avoid the law and not being able to study their magic as much) or will be heavily monitored by those who are tasked with killing them the moment they go rogue.

Why don't instead you regulate what SCHOOLS do magic are allowed. Abjuration and Divination are mostly harmless, mostly.

Evocation, conjuration, enchantment transmutation, and illusion although can be pretty nasty. If you have any doubts about this, DnD settings already do it with necromancy. Just less bureaucracy more axes.

They recieve training, if necessary, and a sanction to use magic in the pursuit of other, unsanctioned wizards. Any magical items in their possession are forfeit, but instead of being sent into the library, they are put into equipment, where the wizard is regularly permitted to requisition them.
Wizards that

Okay but who said it was low-magic though? The restrictions on magic are completely artificial. It's only de facto low-magic because you'll be arrested for flinging a fireball without permission.

>This way the average nonmagical citizen feels as if he's benefiting from magic far more than a city where magic can be freely used but is based upon the whims of wizards
You realize in most standard D&D settings, the average nonmagical citizen just goes to the church and gets whatever shit he needs done for free, right?
>little Timmy cut his arm open
>Cure Wounds
>little Sara broke her leg
>Cure Wounds if it will heal, Greater Restoration if it won't
>pappy Abner went blind
>Lesser Restoration
>i'm vomiting everywhere
>Cure Disease
>my belt buckle snapped
>Mending

Explain so. Or else you're just a retard blathering.

That's not what low magic means. And "low magic" has been used to describe the thing.

Shhhh, be wewy quiet, user is baiting wabbits

This. Good churches are Good, they don't let people suffer.

Also, the user who came up with the idea only talked about wizard magic, but what about all the other stuff?

Innate magic, divine powers, and the like?

>That's not what low magic means.
So what does it mean then, if it apparently means that you can shoot lightning and summon elementals to your heart's content outside city limits?

>And "low magic" has been used to describe the thing.
Yeah, but by whom? The user who described the setting or someone else who misunderstood?

LMoP is fun, my only complaint is a lot of the side quests are, well, side quests, and don't add much to the overall story. It lays things out pretty plainly so you can get used to DMing a published adventure. I'd suggest looking through volo's guide for ideas on how to spice up most of the enemies, and skipping most of the optional stuff (other than thundertree) in favor of wrapping up that arc so you can move onto the next book your group sounds interested in.

Also, LMoP's first dungeon is meant to show players the ropes, so you might as well just do that.

Well, I think the issue with a city that would regulate/ban public magic is that the public wouldn't see any advantages to such a system unless it provided them something that a free magic city wouldn't give them.

most standard D&D settings aren't low-magic, though. Also not every priest is a cleric. As far as the PHB goes, clerics are very rare even within their own religious organizations. The average priest would not be able to cast a cantrip, nevermind cure your ailment.

Low magic means magic is exceedingly rare, up to the point where commoners may not even know it exists. You would only have a small number of people in the universe who could use magic, and you may even lessen it's effects to that of simple tricks like conjure flame.

Right.

So it's definitely not low magic.

>So what does it mean then, if it apparently means that you can shoot lightning and summon elementals to your heart's content outside city limits?

Low magic doesn't mean this.

It means that there is not a lot of people with the capacity to use magic in the setting. Or generaly that there is few magical phenomenons.

Those who DO manage to use magic tends to be pretty powerful, on the other hand, even in settings where using magic is difficult and requires a lot of hoops and loops and shenanigans. And when they do manage one of their trick, like summoning elementals outside the city limits, then it's to be treated as a major event.

Think Conan the Barbarian.

> The user who described the setting or someone else who misunderstood?

It seemed to me it was the user who described the setting.

Divine powers are considered magic and regulated just as much. The churches don't like it, but they tolerate it.

>Innate Magic
I imagine any organization that tries to regulate spellcasting would be pretty hostile towards innate casting, since it'd be practically impossible to regulate. Divine powers, to somebody who isn't particularly religious, wouldn't seem that different from innate casting.

Most people aren't magic users. Depending on how much magic users abuse their powers and how much the average citizen fears something they don't understand and have no personal use for, you could easily justify it. Hell, maybe it was instituted right after a tyrannical mageocracy was overthrown, with a "never again" mindset, and every has just gotten used by now and sees no reason to change it.

Character idea.

>Lizardman Shaman (Druid)
>Had a dream (Or as close to one as Lizardmen can have) that to protect his tribe from enslavement by Hungering-Scales (Chromatic Dragons) loyal to Five-Jaws, (Tiamat, Chromatic dragons being the equivalent to demigods or extremely powerful evil spirits to them), he must venture out into the world to either convince a Shining-Scale (Metallic Dragon) loyal to Spirit-Father (Bahamut, with metallic dragons being "good" spirits, or at the very least "not going to eat you" spirits) to take up a home near their tribe, or become a dragon himself.

>Is a superstitious witchdoctor type, and speaks in the strange manner than Lizardmen do
>Has a great deal of respect for Dragonborn, considering them to be linked directly to their gods, however thinks Chromatic Dragonborn are evil spirits and not to be trusted
>Does all kinds of goofy little rituals during downtime that are very important to them

>Turns into part-Dragon for shapeshifting, using, for example, a Bear fluffed as the Lizardman growing much more feral in appearance, growing long claws unable to hold weapons (Once they get to an appropriate CR for shapeshifting/backstory progresses enough, start using statblocks for creatures with the Half-Dragon template)
>Has an unnatural amount of emotion for a Lizardman, (though still utterly stoic as far as humans can tell), due to them being somewhat insane by lizardman standards
>Considers Human and other culture cities incredibly impressive since, as far as they know, they had to fight and corral the land into obeying them, while the swamps they call home are far too hostile for the Lizardmen to do so
>Outfit based off Native American clothing, with things like feather headdresses and bone charms, somewhat like pic related

and no I'm not some degenerate furfag/lizedfucker, it just seems like it could be a fun character to play

So...Dragon Age seems to fill this.

What wizard can't walk 15 feet?

What wizard can outrun an athletic cop with amfield centered on it?

The one that's grappled by the fuzz.

Low magic means magic is rare numbnuts. C'mon, don't be this retarded.

The one who casts Expeditious Retreat and/or Dimension Door when he's outside the range of the field.

Sounds fun.

I'd personally try to give a more unique/alien aesthetic than just "based off Native American", though.

I mean, we're talking about an inhuman culture, which developed in a very specific environment and to fit the needs of the reptile-people. It's an occasion to explore it.

>Divine powers, to somebody who isn't particularly religious, wouldn't seem that different from innate casting.
Would any magic really be discernable by non-casters? It all uses the same system of components and mumbling gibberish

You got me. This is why turn based combat is stupid.

>he doesn't have contingency set to teleport him somewhere safe when approached by an anti-magic field
>shit wizard

I obviously know that idiot, which is why I thought it was weird that people insist on describing the setting in question as low magic.

The one who rolls better, because he has the same basic movespeed as the athletic cop and any additional movespeed is determined by Athletics rolls (if your DM even allows that) and there's no guarantee that your +4 Str Fighter is going to do any better with a d20 than the +0/1 Whizzard.

""""free""""

Yeah mainly I mean just things like a big obnoxious headdress and bone charms, I imagine a lizardman wouldn't wear much clothes other than that since their scales are their armor.

Welcome to the real world.

It's free for the peasants, because the adventurers are the ones who get charged. And they pay it, and then some, because they want Good points, because they want to be reincarnated as a sweet ursinal or some shit instead of a fucking dretch.

Yeah sure, that's why there's been a few anons correcting you.

If dragons start realizing they're being slain in greater numbers to fund the healthcare of an ever-increasing number of peasants, they'll band together and start razing villages.

Sounds like a fun campaign idea to be a dragonborn, kobold, lizardman, etc. minion of the dragons

I'd suggest an headdress made out of frogs.

The poisonous, colorful kind.

>Shamans make hat as graduation test.

I haven't been keeping track of the argument for like the last hour, so tell me, is the guy getting corrected one of those in favor of this antimagic city idea, or against?

Because if he's arguing for it, count me in as another guy correcting whatever he thinks "low magic" means, and if he's against it, I agree with his opinion of low magic and the rest of you are idiots.

Yeah because you're apparently all impervious to fucking sarcasm and you apparently also really wanted to be the third person to say the same bloody thing I already knew. Thanks for your valuable contribution.

Low magic means little magic. Great. We're all on the same page then. So stop using the word low magic because it doesn't apply.

>Headdress made of poison frogs
That's a brilliant idea.

>"Dziba, how many bats are there in your hat?"

>"Five, Great Wizz"

>"You are a powerful mind, but not focused enough. Remove one bat, add snail shells to make the confusion flee."

Who's been saying the setting is low magic, where has that been raised?
Why are you chucklefucks still going autistic over his retarded setting?

>I haven't been keeping track of the argument for like the last hour
That much is obvious.

>all of his clothing will kill you
>dart frog hat
>bullet ant gloves
>shoes with comfy jellyfish inserts
>cone snail jewelry
>he's a grappler

I think he's just reacting to people saying that calling it low magic makes no sense, because someone (the user who presented the idea in the first place, I think) described it as low magic

That means I haven't been participating or paying attention to it.
I'm gonna guess you're pro-antimagic city, though, so ur gay

Thanks.

Could have a backpack made out of a giant toad, too.

>Who's been saying the setting is low magic
I DON'T FUCKING KNOW

SOMEONE JUST DID AND THEN EVERYONE SPERGED OUT ABOUT WHAT IT MEANS INSTEAD OF BRAINSTORMING ABOUT A SETTING WHERE MAGIC USE IS RESTRICTED BY THE AUTHORITIES

user who presented the idea here.

Generally the setting is low magic, in that magic is uncommon. But there's a lot of reason to bring magic into this city, because it is a huge center of trade.

So magic in the city is more common than it would be outside of the city.

What classes can believably walk around barefoot?

>A SETTING WHERE MAGIC USE IS RESTRICTED BY THE AUTHORITIES
Sounds dumb.

You seem upset. Chill the fuck out.

Druid, Monk, Barbarian.

footfags are bottom tier trash.

This argument is dumb. It's devolved into shitposting.

That's not what low magic means you chucklefuck, c'mon, people have been explaining what low magic means.
It's where magic is rare throughout the setting.

Sorcs and Wizards?

All of them. There are no spells that create ground hazards which say "but you're cool if you're wearing thick boots", there's nothing in the PHB or DMG about cutting your feet open on sharp rocks, caltrops hurt Wizards in silk booties just as much as Fighters in plate sabatons, and the only mention of shoes in the armor section is platemail coming with "heavy leather boots".

It was shitposting from the second post on, because for some strange reason people find the idea of magic being forbidden offensive.

>tfw no anti-shitposting gestapo to cast Detect Shitpost on the thread and Ban Poster anyone caught with a trollish aura

Walking around? All of them.

Fighting? Monks and druids.