Alright, who's responsible for this?

Alright, who's responsible for this?

A refresher for everyone.

The Arby's Twitter has been doing this for a while. Most of the references are to video games - notable entries include Pumpkin Hill from Sonic Adventure 2 (with cutout Knuckles) and a Keyblade from Kingdom Hearts.

Yeah, but that's a direct reference to a fucked up story that's hardly known outside of Veeky Forums.

Either that, or just a coincidence.

In case you haven't noticed, Settlers of Catan is a relatively popular tabletop game.

Veeky Forums is not a secret.

This is gonna surprise you, but not everything is a Veeky Forums meme.

There's a popular phrase, "Yes we can", that is being referenced in the tweet.

'Do you Catan' instead of 'Do you play this game' is a very specific way to phrase it.

'We catan' seems to be a response to the first.

>not everything is a Veeky Forums meme.
Nice meme

Veeky Forums kinda is. Most people who know of Veeky Forums only think it's /b/ and now also /pol/.

Thank you for a rational explanation. I knew there was something weird going on, but I couldn't wrap my head around what they were actually trying to reference.

Unless it's a play on "Yes we can"?
That doesn't make much sense in context though

"Yes we Catan" is a riff on the slogan during Barack Obama's 2008 presidential run, "Yes We Can."

You do understand that memes grow outside of their origins, right? I have an uncle who LOVES Catan, and whenever he asks people to play he always asks "do you Catan?"

I also know his opinions of Veeky Forums (he rightly thinks it's terrible), so he never would have read the story in its original version.

Anecdotal , I know, but demonstrates my point: ideas, stories, memes all grow. The fact that "Yes we Catan" is both a reference to "Yes We Can " and also "Do you Catan" give just enough ambiguity so that most people can understand what they're trying to say.

It's pretty clever in my opinion.

>'yes we can' originated as Obama's slogan

18 or over.

That's not what he said.

ok i laughed really damn hard at this.

>Veeky Forums

Out with ya

>that one time they tweeted at the official DBZ twitter
I swear, running a corporate social media account must be nuts. Sonic cutting Mighty Number 9 to the fucking bone was top shit.

"Do you Catan?" spread out of Veeky Forums. It was the first time someone mentioned the game to me, and it was from a group of people who are blissfully ignorant of what Veeky Forums is.

>He thinks the user that made up that story invented the phrase

One the hosts of Last Podcast on the Left said it in one of their episodes.

It was in the correct sort of context too, which really threw me off guard.

I love that one

Same