Pathfinder General - /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Witch Edition. Do Patrons in your game make your Witches do stuff?

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/JTj1yEmU

Avowed Playtest: drive.google.com/open?id=0B5HkyGRtGZy3SWVhdWFBWERWWjg
Malefex Playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1W3LrE8WyIxxYRr8d9dHsWioeUk_-HZaSMqVWRnzc9Fc/edit?usp=sharing
Legendary Kineticists II Playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/11_w1o5dSef2tzu2GDLnJKElHY3uyETzuzFHDAjI6P6k/edit?usp=sharing

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/65144/of-dragons-and-yet-more-dragons
youtube.com/watch?v=oQnkEqyyMbk
d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/cavalier
d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/classes/warder
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This is awful, we should've used this picture instead!

FIRST for usefull items every level 10 character should have!

Yes.

CHRISTMAS WAS FOUR DAYS AGO

That doesn't stop it from being a joyous time of year!

None of those characters look like a Witch.

There's a difference between wearing metal, and holding it in your hands.

What is this picture of and where is it from?

>FIRST
You tried.

Also, a stat-boosting belt or headband depending on class.

REMOVE CATS REMOVE C@S

Aren't witch patrons unknowable magical forces so bizarre that everything the witch does ultimately benefits them, regardless of what it is?

Unrelated to that, what in God's name is that thing in the lower left?

>Invited to a new group because I know one pf the players
>3rd level
>Some effect forces is to roll acrobatics vs DC 10
>GM gets hyper salty because I don't roll coz I have 9 on acrobatics
>Increasingly gets more salty when I take 10 and also pass every DC 15 y most stuff like climbong, swimming, etc
>Ragequits
>Ask if that was his first time GMing or playing 3.PF
>Players tell me no, that he jas been GMing and playing for 7 years this game
>Ask if that ever happened
>They also tell me no
Fucking how??!

Typically patrons should pepper a witch's personality, not as severely as a Warlock or Avowed of course, but a Strength-oriented Witch should always have an urge to pick things up and put them down.

>Unrelated to that, what in God's name is that thing in the lower left?

Obviously a baby owlbear

Why is that Fennec fox so fluffy? I thought their coats weren't nearly that poof.

Continue to ask Dragon DM anything.

I've got descriptions of The Demesne (The home base for you guys) and your liege lady, Queen Lua Culbranth in the character discussion thread on the listing.

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/65144/of-dragons-and-yet-more-dragons

Can someone give me the lowdown on what an Avowed gets out of Charisma? I'm tempted to use one as part of my gestalt, but the other side expects Intelligence.

Tell us about the other major NPCs besides our Den Mother!

Isn't Charisma their primary stat? It's tied to their DCs, I think.

Carnival Phantasm

youtube.com/watch?v=oQnkEqyyMbk

I hope you have the afternoon off.

They can be, but not even the gods are omniscient. Sometimes, if a witch or warlock is in the right place at the right time, their patron will have to be direct to further its goals.

They tend to look a little puffier when they're young.

Roll HP?

Fight Master Glacius: The Unofficial Captain of the guard of The Demesne. A patient though stern teacher in all things martial. Likens war and combat to poetry and communication. Enjoys mountain climbing.

Xealnuleath: The queen's Eldest daughter (That hasn't left the roost yet.) She's a Crystal dragon who fancys herself a patron of the arts. She cycles through art mediums like a person changes clothes. and she's equally bad at all of them herself. But she's got good taste.

Full HP at level 1, every subsequent level roll for hp. take the result if its greater than half. If less than half, take half.

So it's only used for DCs? Doesn't sound too bad to ignore!

Alrighty then.

>Aren't witch patrons unknowable magical forces so bizarre that everything the witch does ultimately benefits them, regardless of what it is?
Witch Patron are left incredibly vague on purpose. They can be whatever the heck you want them to be.

Would...would it be kosher to have dragonhide armor? Seems like that might be a bit taboo..

One, Dragons occationally shed. two, a dead dragon doesnt need his skin.

Is Xealnuleath a cute?

She's a dragon equivalent of a thirty year old in there mom's basement with an art degree.

Of course shes' cute.

All the DCs are based on it. Certain bonuses as well; a self-avowed has a "divine grace" analogue that functions on it.

Check carefully what you're using and/or not using; some builds can get away with ignoring it or keeping it at 12 or so, others will need to max it out.

Sounds like mom needs to marry her off to someone who will let her live in their basement!

Back in 2e the metallics often gave their previous growth's layer to make armor with; basically a sign of high honor or affection.

You'd expect your kids to maybe have a suit for their human form, your lover either has a suit OR one from some even older dragon you killed together, you might present enough for a shield to a worthy hero that comes by, and so on.

From the dragon's point of view, you're basically giving them your dandruff so it's no big loss to you - but you DO know how valuable it is.

Do magic item weights go down if you're smaller?

Like say you're uh, tiny. And you put on a robe that would be four pounds if it were medium.

Is it still four pounds?

I can handle it, I'm just curious.

Hold on, I've been gone for a few days playing FFXV, what's all this talk about Dragons and Dragon characters?

Need a fresh view for pirate campaign.
Sky Ocean or Underground Sea?
Oiled steel&Heated Diesel or Sails with fistful of Wind?

Isn't there a sea in the Darklands right under the Inner Sea?

>Sky Ocean or Underground Sea?
Neither, Cosmic.

Ships that forms flexible aether bubbles that follow the flow of Aetherial Currents of cosmic life energy

Ports stationed in fixed points in time and space by anchoring themselves to points of cosmic stability

Colonies built atop floats of cosmic floatsam and jetsam

Storms of altered reality, carrying with them newly formed abberant monsters that attack ships

Entire ecosystems of creatures feeding off of cosmic energy and eachother

a small pocket dimension of infinite basements filled with infinite rats

that kind of stuff

Subs in an ocean of clouds

Both. Ships tend to sail to save power and may only have small emergency engines with a light fuel load, but subs only deploy the things as they surface for battle

Also If you guys have any suggestions for the game, feel free to voice them.

>game about dragons and for latent weadragon
>not lewd
Why so dissonantly?

Fuck yes.

Das Boot Planet?

Yep. Sightless Sea. Located in the Orv Vault if i not mistaken.

The ships need arms that wield magic weapons.

Okay, so let me get this straight.

Avowed gives you Clauses, and most of these Clauses grant you 24 hour bonuses... But doesn't that mean those bonuses can be constantly renewed and are basically "inherent" bonuses?

Like, take Silver Tongue; for 24 hours you get a +6 bonus to Diplomacy, Bluff and Intimidate. What will stop me from having a +6 bonus to those stats all the ding dong time?

A L L D A Y
L
L
D
A
Y

They can be turned off by outside interference.

Nothing.
You're using a class ability to get a skill bonus. Of course it better be worth something.

Direct your attention to yonder post. just dont get too excited, DM said no boinking.

>mfw

A-Are there any Shapes that work with melee weapons? Aether Rounds is explicitly used for ranged weapons after all!

one of the character-discussion pile seems to be suzu-chan

That's a paisa!

>Text Only
Son of a tit! I curse the fact I am a slow typist

Well, there's Aether Blade.

Aether Channel!

What are some good options for "taunt"? That is, how do tanks ensure that enemies are hitting them and not the squishy wizard?

A different game system.

>tanks
That's not how Pathfinder works.

Knight's Calling, Paladin spell.

The Log Horizon RPG maybe

It doesn't really exist in PF.

Enemies are allowed to be intelligent, and the intelligent thing to do is to always kill the mage first.

Things that might come close are the Cavalier's Challenge, depending on the Order, and a Warder's Armiger's Mark.

>d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/cavalier
>d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/classes/warder

There might have been a feat that forces an enemy to attack the user if he fails a will save, but I forgot what it's called.

Warder. Antagonize feat maybe.

Will negates on a level 1 paladin spell. There's no way that would ever succeed.

The Big 5:
>+X Armor
>+X Weapon
>+X Cloak of Resistance
>+X Stat Belt
>+X Stat Headband

Another big names:
>Handy Haversack
>+X Ring of Deflection
>+X Amulet of Nat Armor

From here is diverges. These are the main heavy hitting quality of life items. If we wanted to go pure comfort we'd then go to stuff like Marvelous Pigment, Anytools, and more. If you're melee different things matter than if you're a control caster.

>Aren't witch patrons unknowable magical forces so bizarre that everything the witch does ultimately benefits them, regardless of what it is?
I've had games where they are. I've had games where they're gods moonlighting at patrons. I've had games where they were literally the word itself carved into the sky that screamed at witches what to do.

Armiger's Mark, a Warder ability!

As for first party... You're gonna have to be big and scary! Big and scary!

Get a Wizard or Bard, and have them use Enchantment Magic to convince the enemy to attack the "tank"
Though this falls apart at higher levels as tanking becomes less viable due to the enemy rocket tag
Also, said caster by that point should have better things to do than Aggro management for you

>Yfw, both of the full dragons that have concepts right now are forever tiny feykin dragons.

This is the exact opposite of what i expected. Not exactly unwelcome, but unexpected.

He's horrified someone invested in Swimming/Climbing/Acrobatics/Ride (I always put 1 point in each).

>They were literally the word itself carved into the sky that screamed at witches what to do

How did that go?

I'm planning on a Green Dragon Exemplar/Wizard. So we have one full dragon on the crew.

Witches could never stealth in case one past over and began yelling at them. The words were not very intelligent.

Second time DM here looking for some insight.

For context, everyone in my group is as new to the game as I am (it was our first time playing). The first campaign I ran was Falcon's Last Hope, and while my players enjoyed it, they complained that there wasn't a lot of roleplaying going on and that there was a little too much combat, which I agree with. I think that was caused by a few different things, but mostly I think it just came down to the fact that it was a pre-built campaign and everyone was inexperienced.

So, for my next campaign I'm looking to put something together myself. I'd like to have /some/ combat, but I would like the main focus to be on story and roleplaying. Over time I'd like for it to evolve into a deeper story, but for the sake of the players (and myself) I'd like to start with something small and simple, yet still engaging. Do you guys have any suggestions as to how I could go about that? What sort of campaigns did you have success with when you were still new to the game?

Another thing I'm struggling with, one of my players is a neutral evil Oracle and another is a lawful good Paladin. They're already starting to butt heads and it's already getting old. I want to let them play what they want but at the same time their characters really have no reason to be adventuring together. They argue over any decision where morality comes into play and at this point I feel like it's really just wasting everyone's time. Any ideas on how I can deal with this without just straight up telling one of them to make a new character?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

I just want to make an Ornstein, but apparently human-sized PCs might find themselves in a bit of a pickle with this campaign!

The wont, don't worry.

Friendly reminder that the Embodiment of Aether feat, introduced in the Avowed playtest, lets you replace Charisma with Strength as the Avowed's primary stat!

Hide the mage behind the fighter

>put the mage behind the fighter
And hope he has enough goddamn courtesy to give him a reach-around.

Even for the big ones one tends to start 'small' at the lowest levels. The draconic exemplars at least are one level from their first growth phase (most would become medium at 4).

Maybe the two feykin-scale will be the attack bits to your mothership?

What, has it changed? Is a new playtest out since 6?

Because until then it ONLY affects DCs.

So how do I not die immediately in a game of rocket tag. What can I do to neutralize incoming attacks? Isn't there something like Evasion but for Will saves, by the way?

1) in order: Kill them before they get their turn, use initiator counters, die like a bitch

2) Stalwart

Is it impossible for the feykin dragons to ever learn the overland flight gift?

How do they get their speed to keep up with the rest then?

>Do you guys have any suggestions as to how I could go about that?
Build your campaign around the player characters. Let everyone co-ordinate their characters so they're friends, colleagues, or otherwise comfortable travelling and working together. Talk to them about what they want out of the campaign, what kinds of themes or tone they want to experience. Have them encounter a mystery, threat, or adventure that directly relates to what they care about and their personal goals. Make that adventure be connected to something greater, an evil scheme or terrible force that threatens not just the PCs, but people and places they care about. Have important people from your character's backstory make guest appearances, and have former friends and rivals either help the party or join the forces of evil. Don't make the characters The Chosen Ones, but have them be invested in what's going on.

>Any ideas on how I can deal with this without just straight up telling one of them to make a new character?
First, remind the Paladin that Lawful Good does not mean Evangelical Asshole. He practices altruism and follows the spirit of the law and justice, but that does not mean he should judge others who follow different paths. He should oppose any who commit evil acts but being selfish is not in itself a crime. Moreover he should be able to put aside his personal gripes so he can work with his team-mate. They're both on the same side, infighting just helps their enemies.

Second, remind the Oracle that Neutral Evil does not mean Puppy-Kicking Serial Killer. He puts his own needs and those of his closest friend above anyone else, but that does not mean that he should run around being an asshole. Some of the best Evil characters are those who are friendly and respectful, all the while amassing wealth, power, and status. Encourage him to 'play the long game' and maybe throw some subplots his way so he can do vaguely nefarious things that don't ruin your adventure.

>How do they get their speed to keep up with the rest then?

I'm going to ride one of the big ones!

How will you do battle? Dragons are crazy fast.

>So how do I not die immediately in a game of rocket tag.
By having high Initiative and killing them first

I made an NPC Wyrmwitch for use in an upcoming game as a potential love interest.

She used to be powerful, then some psions destroyed her treasure hoard and trapped her in crystal. Since then, her home was destroyed and everyone she knows is dead.

She's kind of broken. Feel free to use her in your games.

I'll take feats that let me ride a dragon buddy and do battle upon him or her, silly!

And if not, there's always imbuing myself with even more speed.

Or increasing my reach to stupid levels so every flyby is as many hits on them as I can as they pass.

I know OD/ZS Warder gets memed about a ton here, but what are some good OD options for blessings/inquisitions that make them so powerful? There's a ton of them to page through and at first glance most seem pretty shit.

>Isn't there something like Evasion but for Will saves, by the way?
It is called Stalwart, an Inquisitor class features. Some other archetypes also get it.

>So how do I not die immediately in a game of rocket tag.
PoW counters make you effectively immune to rocket tag. However, the issue is in round 1 you don't have an immediate action to take until you act.

>What can I do to neutralize incoming attacks?
Attacks of Opportunity can still be done before you take an action in combat at long as you have Uncanny Dodge. Cut/Smash from the air then makes you immune to ranged attacks, siege weapons, and spells that rely on attack rolls.

Another way to do it is just put your saves out of spell's reach. This is difficult but entirely possible to do.

>take feats that let me ride a dragon buddy
You mean Stretched Hole feat?

>Another way to do it is just put your saves out of spell's reach. This is difficult but entirely possible to do.

To expand on this some no save and die spells exist. So your saves won't matter if the enemy uses mindscape on you.

However any GM who uses these spells on players, or players who use these spells, should be shot.

That's actually kind of funny.

Sounds like you hit one of the classic hurdles, user-teammates who won't be a team. A little conflict can make for some nice roleplaying, but if they're constantly grinding things to a halt, you should talk to them about it. Ideally, this would have been headed off at character creation or during the initial session, but if they don't have any reason to cooperate with each other, then you and they need to start thinking of one.

Is there any reason I would consistently use Aether Channel to imbue my spear with elemental might, when I'm already a ZweiSent and can use Strikes?

I love love *love* the fluff on Aether Channel, but isn't that going to eat into my action economy if I have to decide between one strike at +2d8, or a strike *and* whatever bonuses that ability has?

Avowed (Elemental Pact) | Warder (Zweihander Sentinel) with Embodiment of Aether incoming. He is the king of the storm, the rain transformed.

Pic adorably related!

It's not the domains. It's that Wisdom is a better stat than Int.

Conversion is always a good choice though.

>some good OD options for blessings
Liberation.

Aether Channel is a free action, user, as of the latest release!

The best blessing is probably the War blessing, though other good ones include Strength, Darkness/Trickery, Luck, Liberation, and Destruction. If you know what enemies you'll be facing then Chaos/Evil/Good/Law are decent. For inquisitions, it's probably Conversion.

Really though, the fact is that a Warder isn't going to be your skills guy, so int isn't something he needs. But he DOES need good Will saves, so he wants wis. Also Perception, Sense Motive if he's a ZS, etc.