/wip/ - Painting and Converting General

Glorious! - Edition

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>In the face of death, I shall have no remorse.
youtube.com/watch?v=N_ZgyNoHtjw

Previous threads:

Wow. The OP pic just made me cringe.
The amount of glue slathered all over those models (looks like Nurgle's Rot) is almost impressively bad.

Have some awesome looking 'Ard Boys to make up for it.

Yeah, but one lucky lad in the back is sporting a Second Edition Phobos-pattern bolt gun. What are the odds?

Feudal guard progress. Base coats and heavy washes completed.

I'm doing the hair between layers of pink. Does anyone know a good way to get a really clean looking white? My base is Administratum grey, I hear some say that a was of blue would work but I don't know.

What happened to the last thread?

Reposting.
I need grass and basing supply suggestions! I've run out and I look like I teleported from the 90s
Use an grey and then build up to an off white. Only use pure white on an intense edge highlight. I like that pink a lot!

>What happened to the last thread?

I'll be darned! Looks like the OP missed it. It's right here:

Can I just say that I love you for doing this?
I recently tried something similar with the ACW souaves.

The fur coats work really well, blending the arms and the bodies together.
I like the scheme too.

10/10 hobbying

It's the last link in the bunch in the OP. I didn't check the chronological order I assumed first to last.

Using an ice blue instead of a grey as base just looks more striking usually.
Grey just isn't a very exiting tone to look at. Shift the saturation a little and it looks more interesting all of a sudden.

And the other thing to think about when painting hair is how shiny they are. If you make really sharp pinhead highlights on the curves of the hair with bigger bright dark contrasts instead of softer blends it's gonna look very shiny.
Think of chrome and brushed metal for comparison on how the light could behave.

>It's the last link in the bunch in the OP. I didn't check the chronological order I assumed first to last.
Belay that. I pasted it but didn't copy it apparently.
OP's a fag. As usual.

Thank you! Yeah the cloaks are totally necessary. Even with shaving off the shoulder pads the cadians arms just don't work well with the Perry bodies. And I like the bulkier silhouette it gives too.

Those guard you posted look great though.

Finally had some more time to work on this fucker. One drakoth to go...

i like the look overall, but the gorilla arms and torsos are a bit weird

Base white, black wash, layer white again , dilluted 1/1 grey wash, end with white highlight.

I like your painting style.

The minis look good, I think the red loincloth is a poor choice composition wise. A neutral color like a black or a linen white would work better imo.
Personal preference, but I like my backpacks unicolor, but I know GW doesn't do that either.

Very nice models. Are you gonna paint the martian earth or leave it as is?

They look awesome, I'd swap the colour of the loin cloth though, can't decide whether black or white would be best, maybe a very old looking cloth or something

Anons, I'm about to build my first models, and I don't know which bits to leave off for painting and stuff like that.

I know the bolter arm should be left off, but I don't know what else?

The Betrayal at Calth box is the one I'm using.

Any tips for all the models in there?

Thanks guys, first models ive done in decades :)).

going to leave the base martian earth and me and my friends have all used them, so it will fit the theme i guess.

as for the red loincloth, I wasnt sure either, but i dont think id like black or White.

Cant wait to do my silver Sanguine guard with red angel wings.

You should leave the bolter off at the minimum. I recommend leaving shoulder pads and head off too. For maximum coverage keep backpack and arms off too, basically making assembling pointless as it's just torso and legs.

After you paint your first miniature you will know which parts you want to leave off.

They skipped leg day

My advice is to start with the tactical marines and build and paint one squad at a time: you'll work out what needs leaving off.

Assemble one squad with everything except the bolter hand, and if anything really restricts access for you with them like that you'll be able to figure it out.

If you're starting 40k, assemble that first squad with just bolters. Don't add any heavy or special weapons yet. You will probably change your mind about what you want in games while you're learning, but no matter how you build them overall you will always be able to use 10 basic bolter guys.

When you've painted 20-30 marines you'll do a better job on the rest of the box.

So pretty much leave everything off? Huh.

I was going to leave off the bolter arm and maybe the backpack. Shoulder pads and head too? I thought those would be fine?

Did some work on Magnus the reds base. Should I leave it as is or should I add more? If so what should I add?

The snow is mostly hairspray and baking soda.

Got to be honest I don't see a problem with the proportions. GW plays havoc with proportions anyway so puffy sleeves and reasonably slim legs I can deal with.

Working on this animu fightan bot. Joy to work on so far. Never enough battle damage.

Snow/10

Looks fine, m8.

Working on my shadowsun's face while I wait for glue to dry on chestpiece to start puttying. Decided I dislike the default gormless female tau head, so grabbed the angry male one from the pathfinder box.

Which is kinda funny as it looked like I was holding down a screaming tau warrior as I gave him forced gender reassignment surgery via boxcutter, for the Greater Good.

Hey /wip/,

What do you guys do for display cabinets, if at all?

I mostly ogle them when I go to Ikea and then don't buy them.

i have 3 of the exact one you linked.

Yeah. IKEA. But I bought a couple of Klingsbo rather than these. I also picked up an old 1950s glass doored cabinet that smells faintly of tobacco... which was significantly cheaper. :P

Need help
I use brush on primer (vallejo) and with some metal minis it always rubs of extremly easy, especially on edges, even very soft edges. Never had this problem with resin or plastic models.

Use gloves while working on em, and gloss varnish em before you transport them in any way. Several thin coats. Afterwards you can ungloss with matte varnish.

Yeah, it looks good and is pretty cheap. I think it could use a board or two more on the inside though. How hard would it be to put more in?

Glas door cabinets are nice too. Wouldn't have thought you'd get them cheaper, though. At least all the Ikea ones are more expensive.
Guess I'll have to keep that in mind next time I walk by an antiquities store.

did you clean them properly before priming?
The mold release agent can really mess with primer.
On plastic and resin too, but on metal models it happens easier and it's more obvious since they chipped parts are shiny.

Oh, okay.

I'm splitting the box with my younger sibling, who's showed an interest as well, though mostly in the modelling and painting portion. She'll be doing the Ultramarine side, while I'll be doing the Word Bearers. I have the rulebooks, and I understand the rules well enough, just never built anything before.

>Assemble one squad with everything except the bolter hand, and if anything really restricts access for you with them like that you'll be able to figure it out.
Got it, that makes sense.

>If you're starting 40k, assemble that first squad with just bolters. Don't add any heavy or special weapons yet. You will probably change your mind about what you want in games while you're learning, but no matter how you build them overall you will always be able to use 10 basic bolter guys.
I myself know what special weapons to give my guys, and she's just giving them whatever she thinks looks nice, which is fine since she's just going for the modelling part of it.

So I've just finished assembling the legs + pelvis of my Imperial Knight, minus armour plates and the top cap because of ease of painting + I want to magnetize him.
While I wait for the magnets and greenstuff to arrive, can I paint the stuff I have built and make a base for him/paint that, or should I wait till the magnets are done?

Also, once the glue is properly dry, should I give him a wash just to remove any little bits of plastic or glue before I paint him, or would that be a bad idea?

Sorry guys, the photo quality is potato quality, we got a bit of cloud cover as well as a shitty camera.

Started a farsight army and recently primed and began painting them up. Pretty happy so far, used a rustoleum grey primer which is making painting red a breeze. Although, now I have to worry about shading and layering a bit more. Anything I miss shows up pretty terribly lol.

I'll post better photos later, weather permitting.

Second-hand furniture reclamation. There are several places near me that clear houses then sell stuff cheap-ish. Cost me about.... £60. I would advise pulling them out and checking for woodworm when you shop though. Got this one home and found that a previous owner had added some blocks to strengthen the legs... and those were riddled. The rest is hard-wood though, and they hadn't been able to get in. Knocked the blocks off and scrubbed it with bleach. Didn't want mini-nids.

Knight is currently pic related, if there's anything I've done glaringly wrong or if I need to do anything in particular.
Hopefully this photo came out OK.

Oops, forgot the image. It apparently did not come out OK :(

B-but user, if you put Magnus there he will catch a cold, he's barefoot and barely has any clothing, don't be mean

Ok, actually been properly resized now.

Bikestealer user here, since that is apparently my name.

I took your guy's advice and did one of my GSC in grey. I used Eshin grey, with a Nulin Oil wash over it and yeah, I think it looks good. One of the GW painting guides recommended doing Dawnstone after that, but it's too light, and I think they intended it for edge highlighting on armor rather than organic skin.

What do you guys think? The one on the left is untouched, while the right one is the new one.

Fun fact, that tobacco smell might keep termites out of it. I live in a tobacco state, and anything over a certain age either reeks of the smoke, or was used to cure it, and last forever. Nicotine kills termites

Not /wip/ related, but you can say you learned something today.

Ahhh, cold snow's the reason you cant see his dong

I think you should resize before posting

I'm toying with the idea of filling in magnus' shoulders and leaving him without wings, do you guys reckon it would look decent? I know hes's supposed to be a FMC but I'm pretty sure he can levitate himself.

You can't see it cause he already gave it to the Fenris system :^)

All is Dong

i feel like Magnus needs a pair of wings to complement that magnificent fountain of hair he's got. without them he becomes a little disproportionate imo

Magnetize them and get the best of both

New one looka nice. Keep doing that.

Fill up his crotch and greenstuff a dick

Is this good?

Apologies for the poor pic, just snapped it right now.

Left the extra details like the swords and ammo packs off. Are those fine to add on, or no?

When you do snow bases you should always do them after gluing the model down because it looks better. Stuff, especially heavy stuff, sinks in snow so it should look like their feet is crunching through the snow and not on top.
Or not, that's just my opinion

Honestly, the wings are the most glorious part of him.

On a side note, still can't decide what to do with his horn nippels.

We recently got the same one. Any suggestions of how to effectively add more shelves? I feel like there's a lot of wasted space currently.

Get some highlights on that bad boy user.
Besides that fucking sweet conversion

I think my issue is I'm struggling to get them looking 'right' paint job wise. It's frustrating the fuck out of me so I thought I'd just fuck them off instead lol.

babe just keep going at em and youll get it eventually

Got an idea and want some feedback. Was thinking of giving my Shadowsun a left-arm shoulderpad only, nothing for the right. Model-wise, the pose doesn't allow it without ruining the look of the torso I have. Fluff-wise, it would be like a symbol of respect, that no matter your ranking in the Fire Caste, traditions and doctrine should always be kept (aimed at basic Fire Warriors with their shoulderpad).

Does it sound good?

Thanks never gets shit done ork guy for the ideas

sry m8, theres a reason i have 3 and not 1 with extra shelves :P

heh, true true. Thanks anyway. Sadly we have not the space in our apartment for 3 XD

First attempt, think I need to thin my paints more though

How do I get the paint to stop rubbing off?

The lighter one definitely looks more realistic than the flat black. Mix a touch of black into the Dawnstone if you think it's too light. I think a final very fine highlight will really pull this off.

Keep at it. You're probably best off by basecoating them and then highlighting each and every father on its own. Took me forever to get rid of the parts I fucked up by drybrushing too hard.

Also, fuck this camera or the light, or both. Picture looks way darker and less saturated than it should.

Finished spoop. Got my hands on that new snow texture from Gw, looks good if I do say so myself.

And a wip hex spoop. Not entirely sure I'm satisfied with the horses blanket.

Yeah that's where I think I went wrong originally going in too heavy with the drybrushing. I might respray black and do it all by hand like you said. At least it'd look better that way.

Eurgh, forgot to rotate

Jesus wept, I give up.

>in b4 next is upside down

I bet Tzeentch did this!

wasn't that the chapter where all the equipment always failed?

Looking better, I think the blue and green stands out a bit too much together.

Can you also do something about the claws and robes being the same colour?

i assembled my land raider, the top hatch and the bolters/cover are there to see how it's going to look

you need to use a primer on your model first to not have paint rub off. you wash and dry model, prime it, then when its all dry then you paint

Anyone? Not sure what the usual proceedure for painting models this big is, largest thing I've done is an Onager Dunecrawler.

great start! you've got some highlights and nothing looks too sloppy. nice color scheme too. as for the rubbing you could strip the paint, wash the mini in warm soapy water (dry thoroughly) and re-prime, or just do touch ups and then try to seal the mini with matte spray.

threads are next on the to do list but that's for this weekend. it also needs alot more milliput, the top and rear fw panel both where just a mm to narrow in width. i distributed the difference evenly but it still needs to be putt'd away

Drill (the bolter barrels) baby drill!

>then when its all dry then you paint

And when the paint is dry you spray on a varnish/clear coat. Satin or matte is generally what you want.

i think the horse blanket looks nice, it's the purple barding on the head that isnt gelling with the rest of the color scheme, to my eye

That's insane. Looks better than the regular Mk IIb which I have since this one has the Rhino armor aesthetic.

one more

damm this is taking me forever /tg. spending the money that buys you two normal landraider and having 5 times more work.

but look at the awsomeness of it! when it's fully assembled and filled/smoothed i will put it in my display cabinet for a while just as it is. some models just look cool in bare plastic/resin

Hey guys this is my first mini. I got the skitarii ranger box for christmas along with glue, paint and a can of chaos black.
I'd really like to hear your feedback as I do not know anyone who practises this hobby in real life

THIN

overall great work on your first mini! congrats. definitely some messy spots (gun, sleeves, crotch, chest, helmet) and your paint looks too thick in places, especially on the robe. In other spots its a bit too thin and hasn't covered the basecoat properly (antenna, helmet again). I like the glow effect you did on the sword, and the colors have a nice pop. keep practicing! that's a tough set to start on as they're so heavy on the detail and cloth, so props, you'll learn a lot I imagine

Doooood the battle damage alone on this is awesome. Honestly never seen a tau ANYTHING painted in a comic/manga/anime scheme, so this is rad as fuck. Keep it up, can't wait to see it finished.

Not that user, but for washing your assembled minis, how do you do it? Is it like the resin stuff, where you scrub it with a brush? Rather new.

If you have a metal, resin, or plastic miniature that seems slick and covered with light oil to the touch, you need to soak it in dish washing soap and water, then scrub with a brush and rinse clean or else spray primer won't stick to it. High production plastic like Games Workshop or Privateer Press won't have any of this stuff on it and doesn't need washing, although I've heard one or two people claim they've gotten oily plastics before.

which of you motherfuckers are bidding on this shit already? It's got fucking 8 days.

OK, then. Just checking. Even without that problem, I'm done assembling my first Imperial Knights legs and I'm wondering if washing it just to get rid of any little bits of plastic before priming would be a good idea. I have a small Skitarii army, but I haven't done anything this big before.

You can if you want. I just use a dry toothbrush to scrub away any plastic dust. You definitely should not spraypaint the model while it's covered in crap.

They actually aren't. The claws are Blood Red, while the robe is Wazdakka red. It's probably not super obvious in the picture, but they are different.

The blue is kinda a mainstay of the scheme. What would you recommend for the green? Shade it some more to darken it?