Board Games General /bgg/ - 2017!

/bgg/ - Board Games General: In Memory of 2016 and Anticipation of 2017 Edition!

Previous thread:
Resources (reviewers, Veeky Forums groups, good online vendors, game accessories)
pastebin.com/NA2W929q

What have you played recently?

How was 2016 for you? What did you play? What did you buy? Any surprises or disappointments?

Which 2017 releases are you excited for?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ibgDdwABAio
aresgames.eu/upcoming-products
thenaf.net/2016/05/warhammerfest-roundup/
youtube.com/watch?v=xoMgnJDXd3k
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Asked in the previous thread, got a silly meme answer.

What are the best Star Trek board games?

Star Trek is pretty infamously bad when it comes to games of any kind. Most of them try to just be Star Wars but worse.

Dammit. Seriously? Anybody have a real answer?

That sucks. I wonder why, when Star Trek is very different from Star Wars in tone? Why not try to simulate 1v1 ship-to-ship combat? It's more like naval combat than Star Wars' dogfights.

Star Trek Ascendancy, hands down.

In part because a lot of the Star Trek tone is difficult to get across in a board game. You'd want a game where diplomacy is important and combat is only one of several solutions to fit the setting better.

Repost from the previous thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ibgDdwABAio

So anons what are your opinions on this?

What's the difference between Star Wars Armada and Star Wars X-Wing?

Scale. Xwing is dogfighting, Armada is capital ship battles.

Is Michael Vick a Sith in the SW universe?

Exploring the unknown is the key to Star Trek. TV-verse at least was always focused on non violence whenever possible and going into the great sci fi "what if"s. The problem is that's not sexy. They know Star Trek has weapons with phasers and such, they know the big ships have combat capabilities, so in the end they take the easy route and attempt the dime a dosen space ship battle crap.

This, plus your orders in Armada are set differently, you don't just do a movement turn then an attack turn, there's more options for what your ships do. Also you're planning out multiple orders in advance instead of just one movement per ship.

Same difference between warhammer 40k and wahammer 40k epic.

In X-Wing you're flying a squad of around 4-6 fighters (ties, x-wings, y-wings, etc) and compete for position and firing solutions using tight maneuvers and special actions. The game is tense and visceral.

In Armada you're controlling a fleet consisting of 3-5 capital class ships (Star Destroyers, Nebulon Cruisers) and numerous squad stands of fighters (A single quarter sized stand having multiple x-wings for example). You move your capital ships like large ocean vessels, planning your moves in advance, using a more flexible movement method rather than strict turn speeds and such. The game is more like a general managing a battlefield.

Star Trek Frontiers also deserves some love, 2016 was actually a pretty good year for Star Trek games.

But being able to diplomacy your way to a victory, do battle, or pretend to diplomacy then betray, etc., is fun as hell. I mean, shit, it's the only good thing about Risk.

X-Wing is crazy maneuvers where you can travel a third of the board in a single round and use abilities to pull a u turn on a dime and pew pew pew, dodge dodge dodge.

Armada is biiiiig hulking ships and feel the part. You need to plan a turn in advance, you need to set a route and when the lasers start flying, brace for impact. You're gonna be mitigating damage, not all together avoiding it. It's much more about how all the ships work together along with squadrons and much less about how many people sontir fel can kill lone wolf style.

I like Armada a lot more. When I win at it, it feels much more like an accomplishment and less like I cheesed the system. The 3 kinds of attack dice each with their own range make attacks feel far cooler and give much more an element of planning. Plus there's just so much potential to list building while still giving you a pretty defined strategy you can pick through what admiral you decide to use. It's less about making 1 3 individual aces who can all kill lone wolf style and more about making a cohesive team with a game plan going in.

>There's diplomacy in Risk
Oh no, you're one of those people, aren't you? One of those guys who thinks they can tell who a werewolf is just by the way someone talks and are wrong 70% of the time but that 30% means you're bonafied CSI.

There's no diplomacy in risk. There is no rules that encourage any kind of diplomacy that isn't just players being kingmakers. The only thing you're doing by whining "DON'T ATTACK MEEEEEEE!" is pissing everyone off and you're the reason this game is still awful even after all the fixes they gave it.

You're living an illusion user, wake up and play a real game that involves diplomacy.

I just meant that, as a kid, pissing off my sisters by forming "alliances" and then attacking them when they left one army on a country adjacent to me was the only upside to them insisting we play Risk.

Never meant to suggest it was a good game or there were actual diplomacy rules.

Does Diplomacy have diplomacy

Fleet Captains is by far the most thematically rich. Very ameritrash, but it's actually really good.
Ascendancy has a lot of neat stuff going on, but I haven't gotten it to the table yet to say for sure just how good it is.

But yeah. Fleet Captains. Great.

Kek

captain sonar

just retheme the entire game

>neat.png

It's actually great. Standard Catan with a lot of fun expansion-style rule additions.

What are some good traditional style board games that have simple rules but nice game play.

For example, I have Quarto, Quoridor, and Pylos. They look pretty, have simple rules, but can be fun and challenging to win at times with a good opponent.

Splendor.

Played Archipelago and Welcome to the Dungeon last night. WttD was pretty fun, but Archipelago stole the show. What a great game, I can't wait to play it again.

Does Armada have Scum and Villainy yet?

Arguably.

Let's also mention Frontiers to complete the trifecta.

Is War of the Ring getting a reprint or am I shit out of luck?

Nope.
I'm hoping for CIS Remnants as a third faction when they eventually do it.

Are there any games about being a Politician forming a government and relying on a mix of player interactions and obtaining board influence?

It's not exactly what you were describing but lords of waterdeep is kinda close

Hopefully going to be starting a board gaming night with some of my friends.

What games should we get?

We are all 18 and 19, there will be usually be 4 - 5 of us, with 7 at the very most (depending on who can come each night), only myself and two others have any real experience with Veeky Forums games.

Picture unrelated

From the last thread:
>I always forget Arcadia Quest exists because Super Dungeon Explore completely overshadows it despite being completely different games that just look similar.
How so? I've heard few good things about SDE, mostly balance complaints and the like (a pity because it looks so good). Is it actually better and how?

Should I get into board gaming yes/no?

maybe, I don't know
can you repeat the question?

You're not the boss me me now

Get:
> A social game for the 6-7 player count
Resistance: Avalon is a good pick in the realms of social deduction
Codenames is also fun
> An entry-level "deep" game
Although I started to dislike free for all games Kemet is a good pick here
Powergrid for an euro
Fury of Dracula for hidden movement
> A light game for the 4-6 player count
Sheriff of Nottingham
Maybe Last Night on Earth or something similar
> A filler game
Welcome to the Dungeon is a blast
> Games you might get Later
BSG
Heavier strategy or Euro games if your group likes them (Terra Mystica, Dominant Species, TI3 etc)

I have Descent 2nd Edition and one of my friends gave me the Alfric Farrow expansion for my bday. I've read the rules and I understand how it works but I'd like to know from someone who has already tried a Lieutenant expansion how much the DM actually benefits from those expansions.

I have group that's very similar to yours, this is how we usually do it
>Light game.
Resistance, Coup, Love Letter, and now Secret Hitler.
>A game that takes about an hour or so.
Sheriff of Nottingham, Boss Monster, Small World.
>Maybe another light filler game
>Biggest game of all.
Scythe, all three of the Arkham Horror games, Dead of Winter, we used to play a few rounds of Betrayal. It's an unbalanced game but a great way to start with tabletop RPGs because outside of some specific errata in haunts it's very straightforward.
>Games to get later
I'd recommend figuring out what games you have that have expansions and see which ones are worth your time. Some games have negligible little additions, but my friends and I can't play Catan without Cities and Knights because it makes the game that much better.
Also start getting larger or more complex games as time goes on. Your group will much better understand something if you can say "it's like x game but with y ability."

tempus is pretty fun and has good meme potential as the "MAKE BABIES" game

Agree with this guys, I am in the exact situation as you where I started a group with ~8 friends where we usually get 4~5 people.

Pic related is my collection.
Like most anons said:
>Social games
Avalon, Secret Hitler
>Light games
King of Tokyo, Coup, Smash Up
>"Normal" games, not to complex but not so light
Kemet, Cosmic Encounter, Cutthroat Caverns
>Heavy games
Right now I only got Rex and planning on buying Descent, I don't know if it counts as a heavy game but it does take up some time and effort to set up and play.

The games themselves are totally up to you, but those are the genres you should stick to and what people here recommend are usually solid picks.

Kinda depends how long a session you're looking for. My home group is made up of friends with young kids, and people who work too many hours without sleep and aren't the freshest on their days off, so we aim for 2-3 hrs on a game night. For that you need a light game around 30-45 min, filler that's

I actually think this list is pretty old, needs some adjustments, some games can be taken out and some are a must add.

The last revision was 3/21 this year, it's a bit older, but I haven't seen lots to make me want to redo it again. If Raiders of the North Sea comes back in stock though that might change. That said, always up for suggestions, what's your "must add" user?

Is the flick em up plastic version ok or should I only buy the game if Im gonna get deluxe?

depends on the price

i am buying the anniversary set for ascension (year 2) with new art, foil and all promo's and expansions.
this totals to 110. seems expensive but when you want to get everything on its own, the basic set and expansion is 75 and then you dont even have the promos that will probably easily get you up to a 100.

basically 10 bucks for new art, foil, tin box thats fits it well, deck dividers and new special point gems.

Yeah, probably. I feel like Fleet Captains and Mage Knight step on each other's toes a lot, with Fleet Captains having more interesting player interaction and better theme, but Mage Knight having more interesting base mechanics and forcing harder decisions, and Frontiers really does seem like they didn't change much other than the paint job from Mage Knight.

Acceptable, but then I'm also inclined to throw Dice Duels and Artemis into the ring.

Santorini, The Duke, and Onitama are the current trifecta of light modern abstracts, and they're all quite good.

I don't remember seeing plastic versions of the expansions anywhere yet, so maybe take that into consideration.

Everything I've read says the feel of the game is similar enough you can't tell, only the look is cheaper. You also lose a few components (your cowboys are now represented by cards not tokens) and as STEEV said, no expansions in plastic yet.

Do the expansions actually add anything to flick em up though? Or does it stand on its own without them

>miniaturemarket finally shipped Triumph and Tragedy, Sekigahara, and Flick 'em Up (plastic)
I'll probably never get to play any but FeU, but it's the thought that counts.
Now I gotta get Pericles, Spacecorp, and a COIN game and I've checked off everything on my board game wishlist.

'Behind the Throne' might be what you are looking for.

What would you suggest?

And of course I fucked up who I was quoting
Toss out some suggestions anons, I'm debating working on the casual spouse list after I work on the kid's recs that never got finished in March.

Onitama and Santorini are shit. Just get The Duke.

Not the user you were asking before, but Blokus is a solid entry level game and incredibly easy to teach while still being enjoyable. It rewards good strategic thinking.

Mombasa, Mech V Minions, Teraforming mars, Secret Hitler, Avalon, Code Names, Carcassonne, Kemet, Marco Polo, Legendary Encounters Alien, One Night Ultimate Werewolf and some more of the top of my head, some may be pleb tier but most of theml seem pretty solid picks.

>Mech V Minions

>Mombasa, Teraforming Mars
Definitely solid but the original point of the pic was for people who had gfs that were incredibly casual/refused to consider gaming. Dropping them right into something that weighty seems counter to that. The heaviest on there right now is TS and that's because of how long it was #1 BGG...... also it's awesome.
>Carc
On the list
>ONUW
Also tried to keep every game on there as 2p possible, hence the lack of social deductions/party games, but I maybe replace Coup? I've never been a big fan of either, but kept Coup on the list because so many anons enjoy it.

I do consider cost before putting any game on the list, the v1 had Pitchcar but that's just too expensive to pay out for unless you're positive it'll get love, and it's really not great for 2p. Mechs v Minions I want to see longer reviews before suggesting the first game you buy to play for the wife is $75. Compare that to Pandemic, which retails at $40 or under, and is more genre defining as a co-op.

It's actually on the 5-10 kids list, but I'm debating swapping it with Hey That's My Fish.

Keep the ideas coming anons, it's giving me something to do in between laundry loads and tax prep.

They really just need to repaint the whole game as "Mutara Nebula Battle" from Wrath of Khan and theyd be swimming in money, atleast i would buy that

Seconding this. There's a four player and two player version

>of three abstract games, the two with no random elements are shit
What kind of low resolution bait is this?

>Keep the ideas coming
Dream Home - Its like the game was created to be a spouse intro to gaming game

Nyaa!

Looks interesting, was this an Essen release?

Reposting question from previous thread. Does anyone know if War of the Ring will get a reprint?

I see a possible reprint of an upgrade kit for the anniversary edition and a possible reprint of the full anniversary edition game... which costs a arm and a leg.

I'd like to buy the normal edition while not paying the anniversary edition price (I see WotR for 200 EUR right now on amazon).

>aresgames.eu/upcoming-products
Listed for December, might just be a little late with distribution.

Is blood bowl 2016 edition worth 80 bucks

I believe so. NA stores got inital shipments in November IIRC. I just remember being torn between it and Mombasa to fill out a Black Friday order from MM, and it was listed as a new release then.

Kinda sorta, yeah, GW has always been on the pricier side, but the miniatures (24 total) are very nice quality
Keep in mind it is a miniatures game, all teams not included in the core box (elves, d. elves, lizardmen, beastmen, chaos, dorfs, etc...) are gonna cost you extra

check this thenaf.net/2016/05/warhammerfest-roundup/ for reference

First serious pass at the kids chart, anyone who's got ankle biters or plays with them feel free to toss out your best bets

jesus just give them monopoly

>inflicting Monopoly on your kids
>playing Monopoly voluntarily
Were you raised by wolves or something?

low effort bait
still effective

Thanks man!

And have them grow up to hate boardgames just like me!

>There's a four player and two player version
I've only seen the 4 player version which actually plays 2, 3, and 4 players

Nice! (I still think Blokus is good for adults too - same with Santorini.)

Definitely they work for both. I've been going through the BGG ranking looking for other options so I can prevent too much overlap between the two lists, but I'm starting to think that's not possible for the abstracts.

>Would love to get flick em up
>Have a ton of trouble convincing most of my group to play any game that looks like a kids game
I had to twist someone's arm into Santorini and Stockpile sat unplayed on my shelf for 6 months after I got it.

Just introduce a lot of alcohol. I might actually hit something then

The two person one may only be found online, I think that's where I got mine. The main game can play 2, 3, or 4 people but the 3 person game is really unbalanced for the one player who is in between the other two

I don't think overlap is a bad thing though. Just because a game works well for kids doesn't mean it isn't a good choice for adults too

youtube.com/watch?v=xoMgnJDXd3k
nice trips

No it's more I wanted to create something targeted, rather than just rehash the same games that are in every top 10. When you see the same stuff as "gateway" "couples" "kids" "families" "should own" etc it starts to get a bit tiring. It's like the Dice Tower guys telling me for the 50th time I should play Mission Red Planet and Pillars of the Earth; both are fine games, let's move on and find something new to play. On the other hand most of the games I own were bought because they overlap demographics.

Checked

Ah I understand now, good point user

Anyone know if the Steam version of Twilight Struggle works for Linux yet?

I understand, yeah. That being said, Abstracts are kinda famous for their simplicity but depth. By that nature. A game like Onitama or Santorini will only seperate the 2 by the amount of turns ahead they think.

If you cancel long gaming days at the last minute, I hate you. Had my whole schedule clear in anticipation of playing something nice and heavy.

Does anyone feel Super Dungeon Explore's replayability is merely aesthetical?
Sure there's a gorillion playable characters, bosses and mini bosses but the decision tree of what to do is pretty much always the same despite the character's differing abilities.

this is grounds for giving out friend demerits

Got good OST for a Descent campaign?

>tfw
>Have friends, also small RPG group, Gf and few other PeopLe that could Play boardgames with me
>None of them wants to Play any strategic tabletops/heavy games with me
>There is one dude that would Play anything with me, few are worse at strategy-esque games (to the point of Being salty and stoping playing anything but coop/Simple games), rest are to unintrested on the topic.
i really would want to Play something like empire building, 4X or not, i feel like even my boy normie friends are do casual when IT comes to strategy games...

Fuck not boy normie but not normie, fuck autocorrect.

I know that feeling mate. I want to play some heavier games, but it just won't fly with my group.

I'd love to try Dominion, for example, but I guess that it hidden complexity would scare away all of my friends.

>want to play some heavier games
>Dominion