Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Interesting Vista Edition

What interesting locations and places have you ever wanted to explore or create?

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/JTj1yEmU

Avowed Playtest: drive.google.com/open?id=0B5HkyGRtGZy3SWVhdWFBWERWWjg
Malefex Playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1W3LrE8WyIxxYRr8d9dHsWioeUk_-HZaSMqVWRnzc9Fc/edit?usp=sharing
Legendary Kineticists II Playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/11_w1o5dSef2tzu2GDLnJKElHY3uyETzuzFHDAjI6P6k/edit?usp=sharing

Old thread

Other urls found in this thread:

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/65144/of-dragons-and-yet-more-dragons
strawpoll.me/11988402
youtube.com/watch?v=wwkk3Tup9SE
youtube.com/watch?v=NFQCYpIHLNQ
app.roll20.net/forum/post/4399356/character-applications
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I've always wanted to make a roving lighthouse. No, I can't really explain it better than that, because it's this random thought that only comes to me when I'm tired.

That sounds awesome. Does it lead ships to their doom when in heavy fog?

Yup. Parks itself on jagged rocks. I think it doesn't even realize what it's doing, it just likes looking at cliffs.

Second time DM here looking for some insight. Posted this a few threads back but didn't get many replies so I figured I'd try again.

For context, everyone in my group is as new to the game as I am (it was our first time playing). The first campaign I ran was Falcon's Last Hope, and while my players enjoyed it, they complained that there wasn't a lot of roleplaying going on and that there was a little too much combat, which I agree with. I think that was caused by a few different things, but mostly I think it just came down to the fact that it was a pre-built campaign and everyone was inexperienced.

So, for my next campaign I'm looking to put something together myself. I'd like to have /some/ combat, but I would like the main focus to be on story and roleplaying. Over time I'd like for it to evolve into a deeper story, but for the sake of the players (and myself) I'd like to start with something small and simple, yet still engaging. Do you guys have any suggestions as to how I could go about that? What sort of campaigns did you have success with when you were still new to the game?

Another thing I'm struggling with, one of my players is a neutral evil Oracle and another is a lawful good Paladin. They're already starting to butt heads and it's already getting old. I want to let them play what they want but at the same time their characters really have no reason to be adventuring together. They argue over any decision where morality comes into play and at this point I feel like it's really just wasting everyone's time. Any ideas on how I can deal with this without just straight up telling one of them to make a new character?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

The best thing i can offer is that while combat is an important part of the pathfinder system, WHY you combat should be just as important.

What are the stakes? How do we build up the stakes. Also Talking is a free action. Roleplay DURRING combat even.

Witty banter, curses, verbal arguments while battleing. Don't just let it be "You strike him with your sword"

Would anyone be willing to a campaign where you switch between playing one of three characters every 1-2 sessions.

I have been conceptualizing a game. Essentially there are 3 interwoven story lines. Each group of characters are feeling the ripples of the same events. They were be on different parts of the continent and likely not aware of the other two groups of characters (though the stories might cross occasionally). Meaning you as the player are seeing a larger story from three different perspectives through your three PCs.

All start out at level three, except the mercenaries who begin at level 4, one group of characters would be mythic. You as a player would make 3 characters, one for each group of PCs.

The three would be:
>Mythic Mercenary Group
Members of the The Crow Men mercenary company, the party along with several others were present during the death of a mythic hero and absorbed a bit of power after his demise at the hands of another another mythic creature, which he slew as he died.
>Mage College Group
Members of a place of higher learning on the opposite side of the continent. The group would be students who accidentally stumbled upon proof of a "secret war", which is essentially mythic individuals (godlings) attempting to kill and devour each other to reach godhood.
>Street Gang Group
Another group in a city far away, drawn into gang wars with a new group that has muscled into everyone's territory.

Bumping.
Not because I even play Pathfinder, but because I hate that dimwitted fuck who posts the anime stuff and shits up the board for no reason.

Posting again with clarification that it isn't 3 groups of players. It's 1 group of players playing 3 characters.

I always have issues with joining mid game. It's never turned out well for me. i'll pass. Good luck though!

This sounds way, way too complicated.

Generally when you have that much of a campaign plotted out you're not allowing for enough input from your players. All three groups are seeing a larger story that you, presumably, wrote for them, rather than doing their own thing.

I'm generally fine with railroading and whatnot but it's a big warning sign with how much you seem to have preplanned.

Same.

The state of the general was part of the reason I quit playing.

Grimspawn tiefling with pass for human gestalting dervish defender and aberrant aegis. Am I missing anything for pic related?

No I don't mean joining midgame either. You are starting the campaign as a group, just as level 4 and 3.

The thing is they can do what they want in response to the world. The characters are predicated on they must fit into the situation for that group (such as you must be part of the mercenary band, you must be a member of the college in some manner, you must be part of a street gang). However you can respond to the changing situation however you like. The world keeps in turning and what you do effects the overall story from three perspectives.

Perhaps as the mercenaries the party convinces their captain to go off after another godling, taking them near the mage college, and kills him. The mages then hear of the battle between the Crow men and a godling.

All three groups are responding to a larger world.

Basically this is not a campaign where you should decide you want to go off and be fantasy rockstars, but sign up knowing that it is not a sandbox but overall the story will point towards wars between godlings. However how you get there and how you respond to things is entirely up to you. Not being able to say "I want to make this an all bard rockstar" game is not railroading.

Posting a link to the dragon game. Because i like this thread more.

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/65144/of-dragons-and-yet-more-dragons

What I am trying to say is this campaign will be about something, and that's war between godlings, as it is what I want to run. However how you interact with it is entirely up to you after the initial scenario.

I personally don't like the premise too much. Good luck though! I hope it goes well.

>and here...we....GO!

Don't start shit, we were having a good thread.

W-what if I added cute girls or something like that?

No i still dont like it.

For the record. I am Chinese names user as well. I am trying out something else.

I think I am realizing my tastes are very different from /pfg/.

It seems like you're trying too hard.

If i was running this, i'd have you start as normal, Then have your party INDUCTED into one of these groups, and then from there Discover the plot from your onset.

I just want to run something I find interesting.

What you describe does not sound interesting.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. However good luck! I hope you your idea goes well.

Honestly you could probably just singleclass it without needing the gestalt, and just be an Aberrant Aegis with multiple arms for hitting things.

>tfw can't wait for the other Sphere Handbooks to get tested and published so we can get to the Teleporters Handbook
>tfw can't wait to see what new Armorist/Mageknight archetype we get so I can go full FFXV combat warper
I so want to be a Kingsglaive its not funny.

Nyx Ulric is mah nigga

What do the Akashic classes actually DO? I can't wrap my head around them.

YOu might try the Davvatti from Gonzo 2. They're basically a Soul Knife that teleports as a class feature.

It depends on what Melds they take.
Personally though, I much preferred the theme and design of the original Incarnum classes over the Akashic ones

Yep. Aberrant Aegii can take Initiator's Soul even.

But what are they designed to do? What is their arching theme of ability? Like, Barbarians melee-kill things, Alchemists throw bombs and do weird magic shit, Occultists do magical item scanning, but what do Akashic classes do?

So, has anyone looked at and/or ran that Wizard's Academy adventure module that DDS released?

Is it any good?

You've kinda hit upon the problem.

Virtual Magic Equipment is the best way to think about it.

The primary function of veilweaving is that you get X amount of veils you can shape per day. You pick'em out from your list, whichever no problem.

Each of those veils gives little bonuses. Like this one gives +2 to knowledge skills, and this one lets you plant your shield down as a force wall.

You also get Essence. Which is basically energy. Every one of the 'veils' above increases in power from more. Like that +2 is probably 2+Essence for the bonus. Or maybe every essence point ups the damage of some weapon veil by another d4.

So, you pick your veils, and you put essence into them. You can shift essence around with actions so don't worry too much; max out that healing one after battle, keep the weapon maxed for battle, boost your skills in downtime, whatever.

Finally you have "binds". As you level up you basically unlock the various magic item locations like "head" and "shoulders" "wrists" and "toes", "wrists" and "toes", "wrists" and "toes"...

Now this doesn't prevent you from wearing gear on those slots, but rather, each of those locations as you unlock them you can form a veil in that spot and link it there, for added bonuses above and beyond those explained earlier.

Haven't ever heard of it, what's the synopsis on the selling-page?

Vote for your favorite Molthuni knight, updated with all 21 characters!

strawpoll.me/11988402

>Windfell Academy is an enigmatic place. Alongside their traditional studies, students can gain personalized summoning advice from a reformed succubus, delve the library’s many tomes with the aid of the library troll, or simply pass the time visiting with the school’s goblin groundskeeper as he explains the finer points of goblin holidays. But the school is also in jeopardy; the headmaster is missing, students are disappearing, and if the PCs can’t uncover the culprit in time, no one will survive until graduation!

>In Wizard’s Academy, the PCs are tasked to join and explore an enigmatic academy of magic, delving the secret dungeons underneath the school while retaining their cover as innocent students. Alongside classic dungeon-crawling adventures, the PCs will also have the chance to attend classes, encounter school-related events such as a divination contest and a dueling club, all while searching for clues related to the missing headmaster and students.

>With 8 possible villains and an adaptable encounter system, Wizard’s Academy is an adventure module that can easily be adapted for any party of PCs be they level 1 or 20, and can also be adapted in length, taking either a few gaming sessions to complete or becoming a small campaign unto itself!

Looks interesting to me but I haven't read it before, I'd definitely be interested to hear from someone else who has.

well, its been a while since I looked at them, and that was the playtest era, but from what I recall it went as follows
Viziers get access to the melds quickest and such, so they are basically accessory mages
Guru I was unsure of, as they came across as incredibly flavor locked Not!Monks.
And the other class, which I can't recall, are basically Warriors who channel totem spirits of a particular Emotion and Aspect of said emotion for benefits, not unlike a Chaos Space Marine

>strawpoll.me/11988402
Remember to vote for Gerald so that witchhunt user has no ammunition.

>Windfell Academy is an enigmatic place. Alongside their traditional studies, students can gain personalized summoning advice from a reformed succubus, delve the library’s many tomes with the aid of the library troll, or simply pass the time visiting with the school’s goblin groundskeeper as he explains the finer points of goblin holidays. But the school is also in jeopardy; the headmaster is missing, students are disappearing, and if the PCs can’t uncover the culprit in time, no one will survive until graduation!

>In Wizard’s Academy, the PCs are tasked to join and explore an enigmatic academy of magic, delving the secret dungeons underneath the school while retaining their cover as innocent students. Alongside classic dungeon-crawling adventures, the PCs will also have the chance to attend classes, encounter school-related events such as a divination contest and a dueling club, all while searching for clues related to the missing headmaster and students.

>With 8 possible villains and an adaptable encounter system, Wizard’s Academy is an adventure module that can easily be adapted for any party of PCs be they level 1 or 20, and can also be adapted in length, taking either a few gaming sessions to complete or becoming a small campaign unto itself!

>Delve the school’s secrets and protect its students, but beware: Windfell Academy is a dangerous place, and death is not considered an acceptible excuse for missing detention.

>Wizard’s Academy is an adventure module designed for the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and the Sphere of Power magic system.

>This volume also comes complete with Fantastical Creatures and How to Survive Them, a Spheres of Power bestiary with over 100 monsters, including both original creatures and classic fantasy monsters adapted to the Spheres of Power magic system.

Welcome to Hogwartz, muthafucka

>can only vote for 1 person and not all the ones I like the most
Buuuuuullshit.

Is this for RotJR? I think she'd be perfect, especially if she's shy and a little ashamed of her friends.

What is the PF equivalent to Red Mage? Magus? I want a cool hat.

Magus or Bard.

Magus doesn't have enough healing access. Easiest way to be a Red Mage would be a Bard, Occultist, or Warpriest.

Dragon DM here.

One last Q.A before i hit the hay.

Ask me any questions you have about the game, Setting, or about the rules.

Also feel free to suggestion or make requests about what you want to see in the game. I cant garuntee that it'll get in but i'll take anything under advisement.

I love you guys, and i wish you well.

Eh, screw. I'mma just buy it, then share it with you guys this weekend so we can all see if its shit or not
Anyone know how I can get access to a PDF Scrubber?

Yeah probably magus. They're the only real way so far as I'm aware to not suck at being a gish, but you're stuck doing shit like Celestial/Infernal Healing to have "White Magic".

That said if all you really want is a cool hate, Swashbuckle all the things. (and steal red mage art for it)

>hate
Fuck. Hat.

>Other thread BTFO,

youtube.com/watch?v=wwkk3Tup9SE

Warpriest. Wreck shit with your divine might.

Why is it so hard to find a political intrigue game that is well run, or if not run well at least run with a bare minimum of understanding of how intrigue should work. I can not count the number of times I played intrigue that devolved into dungeon crawling/killing assassins/comically evil advisors.

I just want to actually deal with a diverse group of nobles at court with their own ambitions/goals. Sure some might be evil, but god fucking damn I want actual intrigue.

Because you're trying for political intrigue in Pathfinder, of all things.

Dragons are found in a very wide variety of locales; from deep space to mountains to far beneath the ground. Will these dragons be traveling far more than the typical "it's a plain and then a forest then a plain" adventurers?

What's the best race for a Crimson Countess Harbinger? Do you go full vampire/dhampir or pick up one of the other, lesser races?

Pic related.

It's all I can fucking find that people are fucking willing to play. God damn if I had other options I would play them. Fuck people. I hate people. They refuse to learn even when I offer to teach.

I'm considering Globe Trotting. I know that we'll be starting simulatnously in Eastern Taldor and Southern Thuvia.

What is the actual genres of the adventure?

>game concept
>it's summer court
>players are all representatives of a noble house
>give players a number of powerful families that they can choose to be beneath
>give them a map to carve up for their territory
>they have to design their nation and house in terms of history/exports/imports/culture/racial demographics/religion/etc.
>time for petty nobles at court being assholes to each other
Hope you brought your absolute pettiest attitudes, because you'll need them.

If you're looking for something with more roleplaying, a good potential is to have a city-focused campaign, where excessive combat by the party will eventually come back to bite them in the ass, and they will have to focus more on diplo and interaction
potential kickers
>players are working for a big shipping business doing corporate espionage (and it has to be espionage, with less sabotage) that evolves into a larger scale of things
>a dangerous artefact has been discovered in/below city X, it causes [insert issue spanning the city] all over, players must compete with time, the issue caaused by the artefact and other groups to fix it
>political intrigue (boring)
>a character who is of interest to the party is in a criminal court case against his favour, the party must uncover evidence (or ~make it) to save their friend who does the thing for them in return

in regtards to your oracle and paladin
>paladin is clearly playing castigator style
heres the slightly less subtle option
>priest comes in from offscreen and gives the paladin a good verbal lashing to set the Lawful good example, not force it upon others
the slightly more subtle option
>determine characters goals, find method to unify them, whether its protect an important character who is the key to it, the Holy McGuffin, or have a cathartic Alignment changing experience
>or have a scenario where they need to work together to survive, just the two. because im out of ideas

>"If he's wearing the same doublet as me I will literally have his cat killed."

your attitude might have something to do with it as well.

>Another thing I'm struggling with, one of my players is a neutral evil Oracle and another is a lawful good Paladin. They're already starting to butt heads and it's already getting old. I want to let them play what they want but at the same time their characters really have no reason to be adventuring together. They argue over any decision where morality comes into play and at this point I feel like it's really just wasting everyone's time. Any ideas on how I can deal with this without just straight up telling one of them to make a new character?
Are the other players getting tired of it, or does everyone else seem to be having a good time?

Admittedly, as a DM/GM you have story stuff you want them to experience because you spent time on it. Yet, the important part is that the players have fun.

If the two of them enjoy the debate in character, then try to write it into what you want to do. View their discourse as fortuitous padding to planned events, or have events around them interrupt this or force them to have it fighting/running. Tie the balance of these moralities into an ongoing plot to give them stakes in its resolution.

If the other players are also annoyed at it, then talk to them about it and see if they can tone it down.

Conquest, Grudge Matches, High Adventure?

>High Royalty Problems

No.

what kind of timespan or level-span is the game intended to be?

also what happens if some of the dragons.... you know.

Some of the dragons what, user?

Have sex?

Then they have sex, what do you think'd happen?

Well that depends, do you want to take over the world? Or just one hemisphere?

This should have been posted Last thread.
Most of that shit would have been filled out.

Aside from that, not necessary here. No DSP debates are happening
yet

>Gonzo 2 doesn't have anything to say about balancing encounters with mechs
HOW am I supposed to put these rules into effect? Gonna need so much extra bullshit to actually run a mecha campaign.

Mechas generally fight Mechas, m8.

i can start one

OD/ZS IS OP

I know, I know! Sex makes babies, user!

But I want them to fight kaiju/giant monsters, not other mecha.

use mecha stats for kaiju

What's the difference? I mean once you've carved out one of the hemispheres and mined it to the core, the other hemisphere's not really going to last too long either.

How's OD/HG?

Not necessarily.

How is The Demesne both in Taldor and in Thuvia? Its physical location isn't it?

They didn't really consider that when they explicitly decided against even having a gold value or the like. The results were a severe case of incompatibilities.

I'd suggest looking for ye-olde Dragonmech, if you absolutely must do this in pathfinder.

... Which you shouldn't. There is SO much better for mecha - even with full fantasy - out there.

youtube.com/watch?v=NFQCYpIHLNQ

She doesn't look too happy about that fact.

Wow, PTMC much?

probably fine

It's a demiplane, if I recall.

Honestly just use ToB if PoW bothers you. PoW should have been kept at that power level anyway.

Might be alright, how many are you looking for, what days, and do you have an LFG up?

>There is SO much better for mecha - even with full fantasy - out there.
Where? inb4 GURPS

BESM

I think i'm going with a sort of Half and Half type deal right now. LIke its a physical location, but you can access it from both thuvia and Taldor, Each entrance has every esoteric methods of entry.

Like in Thuvia, you have to be lost in order to find it. and not have any water on your person.

And i don't know about Taldor yet.

>every

*Very

Jaysus i need to slow down when i tipe.

look in here (first post has google doxx) and ask as well if you want.
There's far from only GURPS or d20 mecha out there... There's even shit for dunbine and escaflowne to be found... not always easily or in english but to be found!

'course, that leaves any ranged characters utterly fucked, because ToB forgot they even existed.

Depends on the type of red mage your looking for.
Most Red Magi fall in to the "jack of all trades" book, at which Bard is the choice with light armor and a fairly spread spell list. They don't really get to many "black mage" like spells in this case.
If we go Way back, ff1 red magi had both offensive spell, defensive spells, could heal the party if needed, and could ware light, medium, and so heavy armor.
This fits the Warpriest and Magus, with the Magus falling behind in the armor(for the early game) and healing, but the Warpriest fails to have the Really good offensive spells.

Pick your poison, what ever it is, it won't be Exactly what you want but will scratch that "red mag" itch based on the kind of Red Mage you want to be. I will say I haven't touched on any of the archetypes, so check those out too.

That's fine. Powerless villagers don't really get much say in who's dragon offspring they birth and raise. I mean...the humans keep and breed cows right?

That's odd, the post is still there, the thread is there, so why can't it be linked?

Are you expecting more proper dragons, or more half or dragon-descended?

I'm thinking of applying with a healer/debuffer type.

app.roll20.net/forum/post/4399356/character-applications

Which Molthuni knight makes the perfect husband for the big titty kitsune foxwife matriarch?

Quiet slow board so just put the question up and uh, sometime tomorrow surely.