/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition Genera

>Latest News
Paladin UA is out! dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/paladin-sacred-oaths/
Be sure to fill out the survey on Monks
sgiz.mobi/s3/a6ca24df7196

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>5emegaanon's super useful tools, check 'em out if you haven't yet.
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

What adventures are there to be had in the frozen north?

Other urls found in this thread:

dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/
twitter.com/mikemearls/status/813999711132581888
twitter.com/AnonBabble

So I want to make a spellsword that also uses throwing daggers. Any advice?

>What adventures are there to be had in the frozen north?

Ask me again in about six months when my party finally starts SKT. We're near the end of OotA right now.

Third for intellect devourers and rust monster cults.

Reposting: For the Pact of the Blade, if I make a magic weapon my pact weapon, can I use my feature to transform that weapon? Say I get a +1 longsword, can I turn it into a +1 halberd?

So Mystic is going to be the first totally new class for 5e right?

>rust monster cults led by druids to bring about the end of civilization

I'm down

No
Yes

I don't really care for the Mystic in and of itself, but the game does need another class or two that utilizes Int as a stat.

RAW, no. If you make a magic item your pact weapon, manifesting your pact weapon manifests the magic weapon.

Ask your DM, though. While I wouldn't allow you to, say, transform a named magic item or artifact into something else, I'd probably be OK with turning one kind of +1 into another kind of +1. So might they.

Is the mega trove not working for anyone else? It gets to this stage then refuses to continue. Cheers

Proposal: Add to Pact of the Blade the ability to exchange a Warlock spell slot to make your pact weapon a +1 weapon for 1 minute at level 7, 2 slots for +2 at level 11, and 3 slots at level 17 for +3. Recharges on long rest.

Thoughts?

One of the things they need to do in the PHB2 or whatever it will be called is make it so that Strength, Charisma, and Intelligence saves are more common. Wisdom and Dexterity are far, far too powerful in this edition.

i don't have sword coast adventure's guide, what archetypes is it missing that you can find now as a pdf?

i'm pretty sure archetypes like the Zealot and the updated ranger arent in

If someone could post the Consolidated Character Options PDF, you could see a full list

But yeah, none of the options that have been in UAs are in SCAG except for swashbuckler and storm sorcerer (but modified from their UA versions)

Just download the SCAG from the Mega in the OP, it's worth a read.

But anyway, here are the class archetypes:

Barbarian: Battlerager, additional beast totems
Cleric: Arcana Domain
Fighter: Purple Dragon Knight
Monk: Long Death, Sun Soul
Paladin: Oath of the Crown
Rogue: Mastermind, Swashbuckler
Sorcerer: Storm
Warlock: Undying One
Wizard: Bladesinger

wait, those are in SCAG, i was asking what archetypes it was missing that we have now

Everything else

Fluff Eldritch Blast as dagger.

the only ones i know of are the mystic and what they've mentioned on Web DM

How would abnormally large breasts affect the stats of a character? Asking for a friend...

dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/

Nothing mechanically. This is 5e.

Throwing daggers work differently mechanically, though. There's only so much that refluffing can do.

Be a wizard. Choose a race, subclass, or background that gives you proficiency with swords. Mostly cast spells, but swing swords and throw daggers sometimes.

Alternatively, be an arcane trickster, eldritch knight, or some other fighty guy with Magic Initiate. Mostly swing swords and throw daggers, but cast spells sometimes.

Not at all. Now GTFO.

#rude

You are playing 5e dude. You don't need mechanic for every little thing.

In fact, fluff every spells are throwing dagger.
Firebolt? Flame Dagger.
Ice Knife? It's already a dagger
Magic Missile? It's daggers
Fireball? It's a giant flaming daggers that explode into more flaming daggers.

Become a touhou character.

As an action, you can feed up to 4 friendly creatures enough for one day. Once you've used this feature you can not use it again until you've finished a long rest.

thanks, are they not going to put mystic up until it's done?

>Hey look you guys, a friendly arctic hermit! Wow, he's giving us raw seal meat! What a nice guy!

The hermit, of course, is a were-polar-bear

All you really /need/ in 5e is DEX and CON, and WIS is just nice. The rest are absolutely unimportant.

There was the initial test of the mystic, they've since reworked it a lot and it's still WIP, I'm not sure if they've said when it might be out.

>Tokumei @SGMay89
>Hey Mearls just curious is the order of the knife for the Mystic still going to a be a thing?
>(((Mike Mearls))) @mikemearls
>was last i looked at the file - six orders, plus a fighter subclass; but d8 HD, so melee type is in class #wotcstaff

twitter.com/mikemearls/status/813999711132581888

it's posted in the mega trove my man

thanks

i think it's great that wizards are making so much UA stuff, shows that they really care about the community

I hope they left mystic's conquering mind alone.

Suggestion without "reasonable" limitation is fun.

Could someone at least tell me if I'm retarded?

You're probably better off making it a spell that only bladelocks can pick
I don't think it's bad at all, balance wise. Can't be concentration though, need hex.

I'm having a little trouble on class choice here.

Character concept is basically The Shadow; a master of stealth, hypnotism and mind-fuckery, who dispenses brutal justice with two .45s. Pistols notwithstanding, I'm not sure whether I should go with Arcane Trickster Rogue, Eldritch Knight Fighter, or go with some kind of Sorceror and dip into Fighter for archery related things.

Any suggestions?

I mean adding it as part of the Blade Pact ability so that it has some scaling to it. Making it a spell would be a horrible idea, Warlocks already get screwed out of their Patron spell list, no need to screw them further.

Also, a fix for the Frenzy Barb:

Any PC can, during a short rest, spend a hit die to remove one level of exhaustion. If you do, you cannot do so again until you finish a long rest.

arcane trickster with a belt of returning and throwing daggers

or maybe arcane trickster/ eldritch knight

RAW, no.
If it were me I would let you transform it into other weapons of the same damage type and keep the +1 or into another damage type and lose the +1.
You can't have a freaking spear of crushing.

I think maybe you're playing the wrong game.

how bout shadow monk 6/ranger 14

I want to let Monks not only choose to use STR or DEX for unarmed strikes, but for AC as well.

Good idea, bad idea?

Alternative fix for berserker barb:

While raging you ignore the effects of exhaustion.

OR

You can only frenzy once per short or long rest.

Every thread until actual mystic comes out.

Whoops, second one should be:

>Remove the exhaustion gain entirely. You can now only frenzy once per short or long rest.

What does "hypnotism and mind-fuckery" and "brutal justice" even mean. I mean, your wheelhouse can either be subterfuge and charms, or big fucking firepower. Both doesn't make sense, thematically or mechanically.

Not bad.

How would you fix Champion? I haven't come up with anything for it yet.

>53 pages for a single class

nigger what the fuck are you doing?

champion isn't broken in the same way frenzy barbarian is broken. mechanically it works just fine, it's just boring as fuck.

the whole concept of champion is 'boring passive buffs', it's meant to be babby's first fighter.

>4 archtypes for mystic, 1 psi archtype for fighter, 1 for rogue
>full 'spell' list to allow you to do different things that aren't just "throw fireball but psionically"
>buncha monster stats that use psi powers
Its not even that complicated. Its warlock but with points instead of spell slots.

Yes, I see. Perhaps give Improved Critical the Half-Orc's Savage Attacks ability? Yes, that would be good. I'll come up with something for Remarkable Athlete later.

Only like 36 pages on the class itself... still, fucking bloat.

If you're already using spell slots, why not make it a spell?
Spells can scale with spell slot level.

Champ just needs an extra ribbon somewhere. Something to give it more out of combat utility.

Maybe take the "half proficiency bonus to any physical check that doesn't already use it" from remarkable athlete and put it in some separate level 3 feature. Then turn remarkable athlete to "Add double your proficiency bonus to any physical check you ARE proficient in".

I prefer >once per long rest, you can ignore the exhaustion gained from frenzied rage

warlock and wizard COMBINED are 14 pages

Because then it cuts into the spells known, and I don't want to take things away from the Warlock if I can help it. Also, if it's a spell, it means it can be taken by Magical Secrets, and the Bard definitely does not need it.

Nah, Remarkable Athlete's already fairly ribbony, it just needs a little pizazz and it'll be fine.

Ignore it while raging or you just don't gain exhaustion on your first frenzy between long rests?

The Shadow, from what I understand, operates through mostly intimidation and a level of mind control, falling back to good old fashioned lead when a situation requires it.

The whole brutal justice thing was me poorly explaining the fervor he punishes evil, which is pretty Paladin-like in nature.

Well consider that BM gets both an artisan tool proficiency and Know Your Enemy. Meanwhile champ just gets Remarkable Athlete, which isn't all that mechanically great itself.

Expertise on physical checks would be very flavorful and give them a distinct out of combat utility as the kings of physical checks.

Yes, it should be something minor, good point. How about adding to Remarkable Athlete: You gain an additional usage of your Second Wind ability between Short/Long Rests.

You don't gain it on the first use

Champ 7 is so boring. Literally just half proficiency in Dex saves. (unless you've multiclassed)
You'd be better off adding a role-playing ribbon. Something that represents a champion's role as fighting on behalf of a leader, and having the respect that comes with that job.
Maybe even just proficiency/expertise in intimidation, if you want to stick to the theme of passive bonuses.
Doesn't have to take away from spells known, look at cleric domains.
Also, who cares about spells known when you're blowing them all on hex and this ability?
I think maybe rather than making the weapon +1/+2... for spell slots, you could have a simple scaling bonus to damage with level, like rage damage.
Expertise on saving throws is too much. May as well have them automatically pass.

checks =/= saves. Initiative is a dexterity check. Breaking some kinds of restraints is a strength check.

Hm...making the ability so that it works with magic weapons rather than making magic weapons? Yes, that's a good idea. Not sure how to word it though.

Rather than damage, how about making it similar to Divine Smite? Something like, you may expend a Warlock spell slot when you strike a creature with your pact weapon. If you do, you gain temporary hit points equal to half the damage dealt.

Too OP?

Charm person?

It's a dagger you gift the target so he becomes your friend.

And a lot of the page space is taken up by limitations so that psionics isn't overpowered as shit or making it so the spell list is actually comprehensive and not just "cast X spell using psi points".
And even now I can see this being stronger than most classes.

>Illusory Script
"Hmm, yes, it's hard to make out what this says under all these daggers, but I'm pretty sure it's..."

>just refluff it.

Nah.

The Shadow is best modeled by Warlock or Bard, frankly.

Someone made a list of what saves there are so far in 5th, and it ended up being that the bottom 3 were (I believe in the order of): Charisma, Strength, and Intelligence. And there's literally two things in ALL of 5th edition has 2 things requiring an INT save.

I know one of them is some save required for a monster (Intellect Devourer I believe) and the other is for a spell... Feeblemind I think.

Note: these are actual saves, not checks to realize things might be an illusion.

Just magic, or even elemental, weapon as an invocation spell

Well I've been reading THAT ability wrong for some time! Thanks, user

Mind flayers also impose intelligence saving throws, including the ones from Volo's. Also, mindwitness and yuan-ti nightmare speaker

So does enchanter's lvl 14 feature

Spells that do so are Contact Other Plane, Feeblemind, Phantasmal Force and Symbol

The Shadow normally uses subtle forms of mind control and hypnosis to convince people of various things (or trick his foes into thinking he's dead or in trouble when he's actually A-OK and about to wreck shit). He's not overt with it's use of "magic" or mysticism, a lot of smoke and mirrors stuff that hints at being supernatural.

The "brutal justice" part is aimed more-so at the corruption he sought to remove from the world (note: he was created in the 1930s in an era of pulp fiction, so most of it was a combination of gangsters and corporate greed).

Some mixture of Arcane Trickster and either Devotion or Vengeance Paladin. If I were to make the character, it'd probably be Paladin 7 (your choice of the two Oaths) and Arcane Trickster 13, with a focus on DEX and CHA for primary stats, INT and CON secondary.

Assuming the standard array of points, I'd probably do 15 DEX, 14 CHA, 13 INT, 12 CON, 10 WIS, 8 STR, before racial modifiers were added.

But again, he's a 1930's pulp fiction hero, dude's got some sick base stats even before ASIs are added.

Are you a fucking retard or what?
The Shadow was a master of stealth who could remain completely hidden in a room full of people but in a fight was unstoppable either with gun or unarmed. How does this concept somehow confound you?

>Are you a fucking retard or what?
No, I just haven't read the same comic books as you have, you fucking braindead cunt nolife piece of human garbage.

The concept doesn't work in D&D mechanically, because it's built around dice rolling and teamwork. The illusion will be spoilt when you can't do everything, or you fail.

This. "I want to be fucking awesome at everything" is not a role or character concept.

I want to be magical shotgun sorcerer
How do?

So what new books are coming out in 2017. Have they announced anything notable?

Refluff everything as shotguns

Fire dragon sorc

Q1 Maztica Adventure
Q2 New Character Options
Q3 Dark Sun or some shit
Q4 Points of Light reboot
I wish

Honestly I think the concept could work in D&D. His "hypnosis and mind control" is a combination of illusion magic (Invisibility, Silent Image, etc.) and a high CHA to do stuff like throw his voice (ventriloquism), strike fear into the hearts of his enemies (Intimidation check), and convince people to do what he says (Suggestion, high Persuasion check).

As for the "brutal justice" part, that's literally not much else than a bucket of dice with ranged weapons. Rogue works just fine for this, same with Paladin.

The issue comes in where he's a pulp fiction hero, so he's got Batman syndrome: super rich, 20's in every stat, etc. But you can easily tone it down and incorporate it into a party/campaign with a heavy focus on combating evil in a city or urban area.

I think The Shadow would work quite well thematically in Eberron, a setting that's already basically, "1930's pulp fiction, but with MAGIC!"

I want to be Dhalsim, what do I do?
Take bugbear pole arm mastery halberd battlemaster lunging strike magic initiate firebolt burning hands mage hand with boots of levitation

It's practically the same minus one, but it can varya lot depending on circumstance and modifier.

Unlike other user who was parading fully for 'nat 1s are always really bad' I'd say that you need a good middle ground. Nat 1s are bad providing there is good grounds and reason they can turn bad.

A nat 1 on uneven ground might result in someone falling over. A nat 1 with a good modifier in a perfectly fine condition might just result in simple failure.

With the guy talking about house prices, that's likely just to be a blunder where they don't get any discount but the prices don't increase.

I forgot "fluff as stretchy limbs"

also note that grappling and shoving involves an athletics check, expertise in these is one reason barb/rogue multiclass works

>not counting the spell list
>being this fucking retarded

Veeky Forums, everyone.

>comics

The Shadow originates from pulp magazines and radio, not your capeshit you poor little millennial.