Hey Veeky Forums

Hey Veeky Forums

How come there are so few norse themed settings? And I mean proper norse themed, no borderline fetished leather-clad bikers like Vikings or them being depicted as witless barbarians with horned helmets. I mean the homeland shenanigans of early medieval north germanic populations. The relatively democratic Things, the lack of feudalism, and intricacies of old norse faith. Maybe I just haven't looked hard enough, but they always show up as shallow, plastered on factions that dwell in the nondescript "north".

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/tg/search/text/myfarog/type/op/
rpg.net/reviews/archive/15/15774.phtml
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Vikings are gay

Vikingar but by Terry Pratchett

Rude desu

The norse peoples being known as "the vikings" is kinda weird anyway. It was a job/a thing you did for money, not their cultural or ethnic identity.

Well, there's MYVARGSHILL, but all signs seem to point to it being a poorly designed game made specifically for promoting the creator's social beliefs.

>MYVARGSHILL
>the creator's social beliefs.
What

Does this have something to do with Varg Vikernes or what?

Because they're not what people think they are.

Why would you want to play a setting based around 'homeland shenanigans'?

Because the constantly back and forths between the clans of old scandinavia make for good fun whether people know it or not. It's pretty niche; that's why I asked about it.

I should add that I'm not necessarily looking for something specifically aimed at the old norse, but rather systems that could accommodate that kind of setting.

Proper versions of any setting are pretty rare. Show a medievalist the "standard fantasy setting" and watch them cry.

There being very few norse-themed settings that actually try to grapple the source material in a sensible and informed fashion is simply a product of there being so few settings of any stripe that go beyond the shallow pop-culture version.

A setting purely based on fact, or a Norse-themed fantasy server with as much realism as possible?

Either is fine. Aslong as they actually respect the source material instead of doing an interpretation based on pop culture like said.

I know of a swedish PnP game called Trudvang that's extensively based on norse mythology and early christianity, having their versions of elves and dwarves based on the norse myths rather than the Tolkien modifications. It's far from viking wankery too I heard.

But again; it's exclusively swedish.

Yeah, he spams his game on Veeky Forums about once or twice each week:

archive.4plebs.org/tg/search/text/myfarog/type/op/

Unfortunately, since he refuses to post a scan, all we can do is reference the few leaked pages (which don't present a very compelling case for the system being any good).

That seems pretty terrible.

>thule

Aaand I'm out.

Varg is a fa/tg/uy?

And a realistic nordic setting would be even more gay.

Probably not. This is just a convenient place for RPG marketers to shill.

Hellfrost might fit the bill of what you are looking for.

It's an extremely Norse inspired setting set in a world being slowly consumed by what is essentially the Fimbulvetr. The human cultures are a nice variety which range from Norse/Anglo-Saxon analogues, to Kievan Rus and in the far south where it's still warm, there's a Magocracy with a decidedly Italian flavor.

>in B4 "Picture for Ants" hardy fucking har.
I saved the thumbnail by mistake. Here's the full rez pic.

It's not like he has much of a band. Or, really, that bare-bones black metal has much money in it these days.
Who'll work with a man convicted of murdering his bandmates?

Trudvang Chronicles got successfully Kickstarted earlier this year, so Trudvang won't be exclusively Swedish for long.

Stop asking for scans

Try Yggdrasil.

Fucking nice.

This,

Yggdrasill is pretty good. It's kinda like Pendragon : a historical setting with mythical and surnatural elements like trolls, etc.

rpg.net/reviews/archive/15/15774.phtml