I'm hoping Veeky Forums can help me out here...

I'm hoping Veeky Forums can help me out here. My friend is GMing a nordic themed game soon and I'm playing a slightly bastardish character (at least by norse standards.) The nordic belief was that you only made it to Valhalla by dying with a weapon in your hand, but I want to make a character that denies his enemies that honor by taking their weapons out of their hand if they've not died outright from the fighting. My problem is I was hoping to come up with some sort of nickname for him to be given for this habit, but I'm coming up with nothing. If anyone has any ideas feel free to share them. Failing that lets get a nordic aesthetic thread going.

The weapon-taker?

Doubly so if you can mechanically get him to be great at disarming peoples weapons and using them to deliver the coup de grace.

we thought about that, but kinda worried it would lead to mary-sueism

Weapon-Thief? Armsrobber? Swordstealer? granted, these would be insults, don't know if that's what you need.

>The nordic belief was that you only made it to Valhalla by dying with a weapon in your hand.

lol no

>The nordic belief was that you only made it to Valhalla by dying with a weapon in your hand

You are a retard, and taking this way too literally. Retard.

I actually kinda like swordstealer. I don't know why I didn't think of that one. As far as insults go that's kinda what I'm looking for since he's kind of an asshole

wow, someone woke up on the wrong side of the cheeto dust stained bed today.

uh oh guys, looks like we have a That Guy infestation

Fucking retard.

Well, they aint wrong. The whole Valhalla thing is usually read as 'dying in honourable combat' and a valkyrie would pick you up and bring you to either Valhalla or whatever Freya's hall was called.

>The nordic belief was that you only made it to Valhalla by dying with a weapon in your hand

Good luck holding on to your weapon all the way to flatline after the mortal blow has been struck. You may not have a hand to do so with at that point.

Normally people will instead say the norse believed you got to Valhalla by dying in battle. But that too is a later idea, possibly influenced by Christian martyr-fanboyism. Back in the day Oden simply picked whoever he wanted, however they died. Dying in battle was certainly a point in your favour, but that was more about being in battle than dying there. Outlive his patience and he may drop by and flat out murder you.

As for the nickname, if you're fine with getting a bit obscure, call him the Osprey. We have plenty of those up here, and one of the common kennings for sword is the fish of battle. Should we change things so he really does seem to actively keep people from Valhalla I suspect he wouldn't be called anything but niding, as such actions would be less "slightly bastardish" and more "utterly unforgivable deed of utter cowardice and malice that will forever have him cast out of clan and society, denied any protection by law or kin and free to be assaulted, robbed or killed by whoever so pleases".

>getting this mad at someone on a south pacific islander flip book artwork website

I don't know if taking another's weapon AFTER beating them in a fair fight would be considered wrong. He showed superior martial ability, and the God's favour, he is entitled to loot.

Looting is fine. But harming the defenceless, by for example doing something to send a defeated foe to Hel instead of Valhalla when he's too injured to fight against that? That's deep shit territory. So if Oden got hit in the head by Mange or somesuch and thought the "die with weapon in hand" thing made sense then you'd better get the slaying done properly first and then start looting, instead of intentionally doing it the other way around.

"The Denier"
But the legend was about dying in battle. Want to be an ass? Play a herbalist that keeps the enemy alive until one hour after battle, only to die later by poison.

Oh yeah, definitely. If the "die with weapon in hand" is the paradigm, then you are completely correct.

The Dishonorer, Bane of Afterlife, Dream-stealer since every viking dreams of valhalla

>by poison.

Putting the frothing-at-the-mouth furious icing on the blood feud cake.

>Dream-stealer
I'm not even a viking and that's the nickname my parents gave me. Weird.

user, one of the most hardcore badass norsemen i've ever heard of was nicknamed Wolf "the quarrelsome" He alone held a bridge against an army for several hours, and in order to defeat him they had to have a man floating in a barrel jab a spear into his ass from below.

This is a special kind of evil that will have Wise Odin smite you for your wickedness.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOO IIIIIIIIIIIT!