/wip/ - Painting and Converting General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?! Emperor's heresy, that's TEETH!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>In the face of death, I shall have no remorse.
youtube.com/watch?v=N_ZgyNoHtjw

Previous threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

aliexpress.com/item/9-Blades-Wood-Carving-Tools-Fruit-Food-Craft-Sculpture-Engraving-Knife-Scalpel-DIY-Cutting-Tool-PCB/32425534341.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000014.5.baLvrc&scm=1007.13338.60375.000000000000000&pvid=56e84b51-6f05-40c7-814a-887ccaf423de&tpp=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

In case this guy is still wondering.

I have a background in traditional arts, drawing and painting. I paint watercolour and ink, and I went to college for vfx so I've got loads of theory learning.

Getting back into the hobby. Asked before, but in the chance I get more opinions/suggestions, I'll ask again;
How would you lads suggest putting rounded goggles onto IG minis for cheap? If greenstuff, sculpting tips?

Genestealer cult. In case nobody suggested it before. Could put hair/helmets on them pretty easily too.

Are you using any 3rd party stuff like brushes or mouldline remover from my friend?

Got some shit done today. Glued on all the various gubbins and started on the energy orb.

Still undecided regarding the breastplate.

looks v nice so far, I think either way you'll be left with a great looking centerpiece

I'm getting the Armored Claw box set and keeping them Guard, so I'll have the parts around. Already planned on using some (removing the ridges, of course) to add some flavor, but I find that having too many bandanas will make them look a tad too bandit-y, and it feels like getting the helmets onto them will be a bitch and a half.

11 6x2mm for weapon options and another 2 at the waist, although if you're going inside the little cup on the legs I'd recommend bigger. This includes the battle cannon, melta thing, chainsword, gauntlet, avenger gatling and the missile carapace mount, but not the AA gun.

3 3x1mm for the stubber / melta, another 3 for the melta tanks / ammo box for the melta / cannon.

I think that's it. Bear in mind that I made the arms detachable at the swivel joint, so there are extra magnets for that- this is necessary because you only get two shoulders, otherwise you'd be able to just turn them off (they have a bayonet mount onto the central portion.)

I was, thanks for sharing.

My clippers and pin drill have finally given up on me. Want to splash the cash on some decent new ones. Are tamiya the best bet?

Much appreciated, user. I might use 2x1mm for the small stuff, since that's what's available, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem since as far as I can see most of the joints are not too load-bearing.

Would it be feasible to stack a couple 6x1mm magnets together for the weapon options?
Currently I have 6x1, 2x1 and 8x1, which should cover most of the options.

Am completely new to both greenstuff and magnets on my models, so I thought I'd check to see if any of my stuff was going to horrifically fail due to the wrong materials.

Started posting in the warhammer fantasy thread...but figured it's more appropriate to post the Brets here..
I got this army off ebay for 300 bucks. (let that sink in...300...dollars...full army...and to me has some really nice looking paint jobs..) I'll post the inventory first...then post some of the pics of the army.

protip: It's Bretons

x1 Leon Leoncoeur
x5 Grail Knights (unpainted...which I'm worried about them coming out crappy with my mediocre paint skills)
x2 Trebuchets
x3 Pegasus Knights
x2 Damsels on Foot
x1 Green Knight
x15 Archers
x15 Archers
x16 Men at Arms
x14 Men at Arms
x16 Men at Arms
x5 Questing Knights
x9 Knights of the Realm
x6 Knights of the Realm
x1 Lord
x1 Standard Bearer

First up, is the Standard Bearer

Feel free to give **CONSTRUCTIVE** feedback, how I can fix up the models...and how I should paint the Grail Knights which as of now, are just primed black... I'd like to to fit the theme of the rest of the army

I didnt realize just how big this thing was going to be when assembled, ive spent the past four days cutting, trimming, washing and green stuffing everything and i can finally get on to the fun part of building it.

You lucky fucker, im happy for you.

These for AoS or FB?

You are going to want to strip them (I use 99% alcohol and scrub, some people recommend dettol etc), rebase them if necessary, then reprime.

For colour scheme tips perhaps try to find the Bretonnian army book on pdf somewhere (the whfb general will have it)

Tell us how it goes.

>**CONSTRUCTIVE**

I'll take "Ways to guarantee nonconstructive criticism" for $200

Thanks! and yea for the some of the metal models I may strip. Let me know what you think of the knights, that I post later...

Bretonnian Lord. Not a huge fan of this one.. I want to matte spray it..it just seems too bright

What is the aliexpress mouldline remover?

Two Damsels. One I painted, and the red woman (doesn't she remind you of Melisandre from Game of thrones?) was painted by the guy I bought the army from.

How'd I do? Second pic coming up in a second.

Maybe this aliexpress.com/item/9-Blades-Wood-Carving-Tools-Fruit-Food-Craft-Sculpture-Engraving-Knife-Scalpel-DIY-Cutting-Tool-PCB/32425534341.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000014.5.baLvrc&scm=1007.13338.60375.000000000000000&pvid=56e84b51-6f05-40c7-814a-887ccaf423de&tpp=1 would be somehow useful

Some more test Van Saar for my next Necromunda campaign.

Honestly, these GS Cultist bits are amazing. Just a shame I jumped the gun and got the Overkill stuff when the real kits were so much better.

Second pic.

Are you going to post every model in an army you bought on eBay in a work in progress thread?

Not bragging but I prefer my damsel... A woman in armor > a woman wearing a deep cut dress on the battlefield...even though it goes against Bretonnian lore..

Nah, just the highlights, and pics that show where I think I could use some improvment. Don't worry
2/Flood

is there a /wip/ recommended airbrush system out there? Hopefully something cheap but still very good?

She's looking a bit flat mate, can i suggest a light drybrush on the edges (a lighter blue) to make it less so?

Also, the lights are still blue, and can I suggest, while not slopping wash around the entire thing, maybe drag it around the recesses?

Well you guys will see me after Autism: Shopping Review

Oh...okay, nevermind I'll stop posting. This is the last one..

They're nice, some very but posting an entire army (picture by picture) you bought on ebay that is in no way WIP is a bit odd...

Like you note, the armored "damsel" would make a better Repanse de Lyonesse.

Can anyone help me identify which kit or 3rd party site this bolted bit came from?

>Number 10, Everything

Tigrus Pattern Bolter, comes in Betrayal at Calth or from Forge World's Tigrus Bolter pack.

>oh hey, a dude who does little battle reports
>subscribe before watching the video
>opens it up and hears this fucking loud as hell whap noise that shakes my headphones
never unsubbed that fast before.

thx famalam

The dude makes nonstop weird fucking noises throughout his batreps, but it's hard to see anyone else that does Killteam batreps.

Looking good.
He needs the breast/nipple plate though as not to look too much like a generic Devil with Angel wings imho. Makes him unique.

>being an alt lite cuck

What colour do you guys think would look nicer for the cloak; red purple or black?

I've got an idea to give my upcoming Mordians some flavour. Rate it.

The bastards are known for their lockstep marching and firing lines. I want to support them with heavy weapons, but that doesn't really suit the idea of advancing and firing because you would need to tear down and set up weapons. But I need those weapons dammit. Specifically, I want mortars.

My idea is a 60mm base with two mortars on it, being loaded by a Servitor with a power claw. Gamewise, it's on the "proper" base size, but visually and fluff speaking it makes more sense to have a slaved machine operate the weapons so there's no wasted manpower. Plus, Servitors are dumb. Walk, stop, load and fire are simple orders.

What do you think?

Black or red. If you wanted to do purple you should make the crest purple and maybe the plasma too.

red inside, black outside

I have a question related to ventilation. Given that it's winter, and most windows are covered up in the house, what precautions should I take

At the very least, wide open rooms with doors open.

>windows covered up
Mud hut?

not the same person but we have giant wind sheilds on our windows during winter because its fucking deadly outside. i know his pain

Hope you're wearing a dust mask and wet sanding/drilling, and have good ventilation and are working far away from carpeted/sleeping areas

Further to this which of these Commissars better suits the fancy boys in blue? If you know of a better Commissar, I wouldn't mind seeing it.

>I know that the guy on the right isn't a commissar but I'm playing him as one, no bully.*

I like the idea, sounds rad

as for the commissars There's that guy with the book and the power fist which I think is pretty fucking classy

or this guy

Ohhhhh good call!

Just got one of these in, I dont even run the other Commissars I have but Im going to start now just because he's so dope.

I'm definitely going to go with him. I love fluff and lore stuff on the table, and he looks like he's reciting some sort of war doctrine.
But I would go with for my Kill Team (HoR) because he's much less passive looking.
I've also picked up the 2nd Edition Warzone starter set for the 40 Imperial Militia to use as my Stormtroopers. Pic related.
Plus, I can use the other 40 Bauhaus guys as Stormtroopers for Steel Legion or Kreigers.

Yeah the other one is high on my list too. I always assumed the one with the power fist was reading from the Uplifting Primer.

It would be hilarious if he was reading from the primer. The Mordians would probably think he was being condescending.

As opposed to?

use brush on primer, use gel super glue in place of plastic glue

>Warzone

Oh yeah! Da *uvva* Imperial ladz!

I had no idea they had metal minis and that they looked so cool!

I only saw that plastic kit they have which is kinda lame, if bloody cheap

Working on a farsight scheme still

DAMN STRAIGHT!
Trenchers are my absolute favourite miniatures.

I only use brush-on primer, so all good there. Is gel super glue especially brittle? Will I be waiting till the next epoch for it to dry? Plenty of experience with super glue, but not the gel sort.

Can do. Place isn't particularly stuffy and an open door to the room isn't an issue.

Not that user, but i just use Loctite Gel Control superglue. The gel is just handy for things that may not match up 100%, say, a shoulderpad. Liquid would just go on the arm in a thin coat, while a bead of gel would make contact then form and dry.

Sorry if that makes no sense. Also, ive noticed its easier to clean excess glue off with the same logic. Harder to peel liquid glue off, while a gel you can slice off easy

Anyone have cool converted 40k sorcerers or 3rd party?

Nothing in a google search really inspired me

Plasma Destroyer and Conversion Beamer scratchbuilds

Quick picture of mine

Rip tomb kings

>I had no idea they had metal minis and that they looked so cool!

You say "had" like it was past tense. You can still get them. Da Prince August ladz own the rights to the original "classic" Warzone/Mutant Chronicles models.

Finally decided to finish these guys. Up next is metals

Nice, that's one of the dark angel vet bodies I take it

I've got a wide variety of fantasy minis to paint, rather than an army with just a few colors. Can I get edge highlighting by just mixing a bit of white or light grey with the layer paint? I've already run bone dry investing in as many colors as I've got, and getting a lighter shade for each would ruin me.

Proud of your boy.

Re-workin my chapter master for the 10th time after grabbing the bitz once more and learning how to propperly thin my paints. REALLY fucking proud how the new one (right) has turned out.

The first one seems more reasonable. The second one's power cables throw it off for me since they usually don't go straight into something, there's usually a coupling end where it meets a surface. The second one just looks like a few spots are kinda crooked and the parts don't join well.

Where'd you get the left model?

Got this dude for 6$ preassembled and I think he's primed..is he?

He is.

Thanks! super newb question but I saw the base was no longer black and couldn't tell still.

Can somebody post some custom made orkified trukks? my friend doesn't believe they exist

Also if that guy who made a kill kan with an axe bottle could post his model

I cant even stand to see orks anymore. Every time I look over at my 4000+ points of painted okrs, and remember how utterly garbage tier they are on the actual board, it erodes my enjoyment of converting and painting them up that much more.

Thru shitty rules writing, GW has slowly made me start to hate orks. That takes monumental effort considering I have played them since the start of 3rd ed.

Tell your friend he is stupid. Or literally type in google images "ork trukk" and look at the thousands and thousands of examples there.

Here is one better even. A trukk turned into something completely else.

>Can somebody post some custom made orkified trukks? my friend doesn't believe they exist

Tell you friend orktamus prime says he would lose that bet 10 out of 10 times.

Thanks bros. Now he's asking if it's possible to use any of these in the tabletop game, so can you?

Every god damn one of them.

The only times it becomes questionable is when you model for advantage, like making a trukk the size of a bastion to LoS hide your models. like 75 precent of the reason you play orks is to make your own wacky shit, because it sure isnt to wreck house and win all your games. They havent been good in a long ass time.

Well doesn't that make it possible to get an army of trash looking axe cans with angry faces and bring them to a table?

Bump?

Good job, user! Definite progression, and I really like the look of the new one.

As long as they're roughly the correct size, and they received a good amount of time and effort spent making them look good, I'd have no problem. A friend of mine made a full Tau army out of Legos. It was pretty boss.

But if you're proxying a whole army out of cardboard cutouts or something, obviously that's a problem.

Hey W.I.P. With the new year coming up My friend sent me this "bingo" card as a challenge for the upcoming year (considering I finished this years challenge of 1000 soulstones worth of malifaux miniatures) I've got a few things cooking already but I'm having trouble with the "Bust" idea. Other than the ones that come in the Relic game can you guys think of any cool looking ones?

In some cases yes, but not all. Colours like red aren't highlighted with pink. You're either going to get a crash course in colour theory as you do this or get some funky looking minis.

Try to find one of the charts that suggests highlights and then aim to mix the colours on there instead of just adding white.

I'm stealing that Bingo.

Have you tried Scibor's busts? I really want to try one of their dwarves, and they recently had a very cool lovecraft one.

>bingo card
Go for it dude, seems like a really good way to motivate yourself to do at least a couple projects. Just remember the rule that you can't count one project multiple times.

I kinda want to make a couple other challenges to possibly make a second bingo card in case I get done with that one though.
>Scibor
The deep one is interesting, but I'm not super taken with any of them honestly...not much is jumping out. Which I find is the main problem with busts in general.

>tfw ordered the minis I need to start my two conversions on sunday
>still hasn't arrived

welp, guess I'm only Lurking this new years.