MTG EDH/Commander General

Only the most fun commanders edition

Old Thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Topic:
What house rules does your group have and how to like them.

this guy looks great but I like white too much

a real best commander here

>most fun commanders

Squee isn't good, but it's fun playing a deck designed to kill your general as many times as possible. Skullclamp is the best card you can draw. Using Command Beacon just so you can discard it to a Cathartic Reunion feels pretty weird, too.

We still use partial paris mulligan

for deck pimping purposes, are the Venice Islands or foil Full-Arts more pimp in your opinion?

So my buddy just convinced me to try commander. I grabbed Saskia and we had a good time, but now i'm looking at modifying the base deck to my tastes. I want to run a human tribal aggro if i can. Any suggestions on how to do that and what would be good? I don't really get commander just yet, so any advice at all would be appreciated.

I feel depressed and a quite fed up with M:TG right now. I am considering stopping for entirely or for a little while but then all the money I have put in this would have been for nothing. What do I do?

Xth for best ogre in OP. Good taste user.

How do I protect myself against flyers in Naya colors? My playgroup doesn't have any flying men.dec but there are still a couple of threats such as Atraxa, Breya thopter spam, random Mindshriekers etc.

They're not pimp but these are my favorite islands. If I go foil for lands, I always go old-border. Most full-arts don't look very good in my opinion

In my playgroup you get 1 free partial so everybody gets to have a nice opener for the most part

my group didnt really do flyers for the longest time until a built an angel tribal deck that went undefeated for like 3 weeks until someone finally figured out he just needed flyer hate to beat it

VALUE
You want value, especially if going tribal. Etbs, hatebears, and as many ways to boost p/t as you can cram in. Running WGRB also gives you access to 4 good graveyard avatars (but no Wonder sadly).
Consider using White's abililty to blink creatures as well; you can recur some nice etbs, and even shift saskia's target mid-combat.
You also have access to every graveyard recursion spell possible; I would recommend sun titan (though not human) and the many reanimator spells from white and black.

Hurricane, Starstorm, Plummet, Cloudthresher, Arbor Colossus, Pyroclasm, Shatterstorm, Granulate, Wrath of God, Day of Judgment, literally any white board wipe, Rolling Earthquake, Canopy Surge, Claws of Wirewood, Corrosive Gale, Firespout, Gale Force, and a thousand more options. You could randomly pick a card in Magic and probably get one that works.

Green has some good flyer hate, and even spells that remove flying or grant reach. Red can just straight wipe them out, while white can give you flying via auras.

put in things that give you human tokens and put in pick related

>What house rules does your group have and how to like them

Friendly mulligan. That's about it. We're also pretty cool about taking back an error here or there, as long as it's not overused, mostly because we all play distracted.

Secret yidris tech coming through

>he doesn't know that combat damage isn't the same as normal damage

People like you are the reason I built Ruric Thar.

These are my favs, I haven't been able to find any NM foils though, which sucks.

6th and 7th edition have the best islands

I feel like the best thing is to run your own flyers, naya has solid choices for whatever your deck strategy is, Angels, dragons, hornet queen, etc

>this triggers the atraxafag

Are you this fucking stupid?

Mountain 338 from 7th is my favorite mountain. There are a lot of great lands from Odyssey and Onslaught blocks, too. That whole time in Magic had great basics.

Build a cube probably.

>He doesn't know cascading from/into this is the best thing ever

I found this guy and really like him. Now he's just in a deck though.

I'm running token weenies with plenty of anthems. What are some nice flyers that work well with that, besides Eldrazi Monument and Akroma's Memorial?

Isn't secret tech supposed to be good? I don't see what's so amazing about this card in Yidris.

>cast something that costs 3 cmc
>cascade revealing this
>meet the requirements for blood
>can choose to cast either flesh or blood as part of the cascade

neither of the halves are very exciting though

POST YOUR BASICS

It's fun to steal people's shit, hit them with it, using unblockable if needed, and then sacrifice the creature for all sorts of goodies before they get it back.

But both halves are mediocre. You're doing something gimmicky instead of something good. Go ahead and run the card if you want but there are a thousand better 2-cost cards in those colors that you could run instead.

Victory's Herald or something? It's 3WWW though.

Alright if you wanna be a bitch about it go ahead and jack off to atrax some more

superior split sekrit tech coming through

What do you mean? I got all kinds of basics.

full arts imo

If you want to call someone fucking stupid for not getting excited about a bad card, then go ahead and jack off to yourself some more.

I need something to stop flyers from attacking me though, not the other way around.

Is this card jank or legit in a 75% meta?

What do you guys think about Dynavolt Tower in comparison to Sphinx-Bone Wand? It comes down earlier and can be played easily without tapping out (my big problem with Bone Wand is that casting it almost always means tapping out), but it isn't as big of a combo finisher, more incremental removal.

Seems legit. There are other things like Lightmine Field and Crawlspace if you're getting swarmed.

Pic related is the only correct answer.

>M15 frame
>Poole's cycle was better

So. Would a format based on the "Origins" vidya be any good irl?
>only cards printed since Origins
>60 card deck
>4 copies of any commons
>3 copies of any uncommons
>2 copies of any rares
>1 copy of any mythic

I'm just calling you stupid because you can't comprehend how to run yidris ya stupid fuck

Try these.

>not liking superior M15 frame

So an even worse version of Frontier? (which already sucks)

The restrictions by rarity solve all kinds of problems, for one thing no superfriends decks would be possible.

The card that was called "secret tech" was bad so the only assumption I could make was that they though the one half let you trigger Yidris. The fact that they thought it was good otherwise is actually worse than just not knowing the difference between combat damage and normal damage. And then getting so fucking defensive about it.

Why is preventing certain archetypes a good thing?

Because they're degenerate.

>frontier

i honestly dont understand why anyone would want to play a format based of khans standard

superfriends is degenerate? What kind of a crazy world have I woke up in

Because they're dumb enough to think that they can play something like modern for a fraction of the cost. If the format actually gets popular, the good cards will just skyrocket in price, like they do in every single other format.

Beyond price, the format just looks fucking boring anyways. No interesting decks/cards. It's just going to be as many colors as possible shoved into decks so that you can play all the best single cards.

Great argument. Good luck with your format.

not that guy but atraxa finally got me to make a superfriends. its strong but holy fucking shit is it boring as all hell to play, it makes the game take for fucking ever to play, and its expensive as fuck

Some people just can't let go of shitty CoCo or shitty Meme Rhino.
Kinda surprised there isn't a group of people that want a format based off Resto-SwagTusk.

Because we have those cards and don't like standard. Also, satan.

expensive and powerful doesn't mean degenerate

Like I said you are too stupid to figure out how to play yidris. Thanks for your input now leave

Bitch come to my house we play Shadowmoor block ONLY

but its literally just standard decks slightly modified if at all from the last year

It's only degenerate to people who don't understand how to interact with it.

It's boring as fuck to play against, but it's not degenerate.

I like the idea of Frontier as a midpoint between Standard constantly rotating, and Modern (which feels like it's become Legacy 2.0, especially with the bonkers entry costs).

The problem is that they didn't wait long enough to start it/they set the 'start line' way too recently, so it has the exact same problem Extended had: It's less its own distinct format, and more "The best Standard decks from the past few years". I may hate Modern, but I'll at least cede that it's not just the best Standard decks from 2004 onwards.

I didn't realize that Yidris was the pinnacle of the format. I'll never be good enough to handle such a complicated, skill-intensive deck.

"Hmm, do I cast my spells before or after I attack?"

It will continue to expand though. It essentially creates a league of 'new ' Modern. Oldfags are gonna be salty as fuck.

I think everyone who buys into the format and then realizes 6 months later that they're just playing a shitty version of Modern will be the salty ones.

I mean, I don't get it either. I get the 'SEKRIT TECH' of cascading into the cheap half of a split card and casting the expensive half for free (so secret that it's done in Modern frequently, wow), but holy fuck that's such a bad example. Like, I'd rather drop a 3-drop and cascade into Breaking//Entering.

Rolled 3 (1d20)

well, about to head to the FLAG for games and fun. Let's see how lucky I am.

(Also wish me luck, first time playing at a new store)

If Frontier gets no attention from Wizards, like it hasn't so far, then it'll die off just as Tiny Leaders did.

Lol we will see. Anyone who 'buys into' anything deserves their salt though.

>Oldfags are gonna be salty as fuck.
Only if somehow Frontier replaces Modern, which WOTC's not gonna do.

>creatures are slivers
Nice

To be fair, Tiny Leaders died off as fast as it did not because WOTC ignored it, but because it was solved.

ya, its a super awesome card

Not replace, but take attention away from and rub the wrong way. Like right now.

It just depends on how much people want to play an open format and how unwilling they are to drop hundreds on play sets of 4 cards.

>but take attention away from
Unless Frontier starts causing Modern attendance to drop (it won't, because it has entirely different audiences and purposes) it won't do any actual damage.

Threadly reminder Wizards isn't going to ever reprint Legacy/Eternal/Modern staples at anything lower than Mythic because they care more about collectors (who don't even actually play the game) than they do about current or prospective players.

More formats = more players = more noobs to beat

I don't follow your logic.

I don't follow your logic how more players is a bad thing, especially if you're claiming it won't hurt modern.

More formats = less players playing each format

Where did I say m ore players is a bad thing?

I'm saying that the people who want to get into Frontier aren't the ones who would have gotten into Modern without Frontier existing. More players is not a bad thing, but the people going to Frontier are not being 'stolen' from Modern, is my point.

How should I Voltron a weak flier

Depends what weak flier you're Voltroning, and how.
OldSigarda is great Voltron for Equipment, OldBruna is great for auras.

If you expect the game's total player base to remain static...

it won't but the percentage of people playing each format gets smaller as you add more formats

Hey guys. I know there is Lashwrithe and Nightmare Lash if you have swamps. Are there other good +1/+1 buff attachments for other colors? Blue or white specifically.

Who fucking cares? Why does that matter?

I'd rather have 10% of ten million players be involved in a format than 11% of six million. It doesn't matter one pickadilly fuck what the percentage is, just raw numbers. And that's assuming that people can't play more than one format.

Strata Scythe if mono color deck (or 2 color, but that's stretching it a little)
Ancestral Mask if enchantment theme.

Armored Ascension and Strata Scythe.

Empyrial Armor, Ethereal Armor, Righteous Authority

Frontier isn't going to grow the game so why are you inflating the players to 10 million there. The rate at which game is growing and losing players has nothing to do with frontier so having 10% of 6 million vs 15% of 6 million is a big deal. Dividing the game up like this only helps players who can afford to play every format. For those of us who stick to one or two this just makes it harder and harder to find playgroups

Thank you. A few good ones for my purposes.

I was just throwing out numbers. My point is, it doesn't matter if Modern goes from 10% of the playerbase to 8% if that 8% figure is a larger number of raw players, you stupid fuck.