/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

A neighbor came to Nasreddin's door and asked to borrow a clothesline.
"Let me ask my wife," replied Nasreddin, disappearing inside.
He returned a short time later with the answer, "I am sorry, dear friend, but we cannot lend you our clothesline, for we have sprinkled flour on it."
"When would a person ever sprinkle flour on a clothesline?" asked the neighbor in disbelief.
"When someone else wanted to borrow it," was Nasreddin's answer.

did you seriously fuck up the opening post? prepare thine anus, young user.

also futa

first for some pointless meme since this was fucked before it even started.

It's like a helmet made of shredded wheat.

the internet is full of......idiots??? *monocle pops right out, lands in careviar*

i nearly dropped my fruh gwuh reading that!

Is there something worse than refluffers?
>Player is playing a wizard/sorcerer gnome
>But he's actually an artificer with mechanical devices he only knows how to use
>He attachs mechanical stuff to all magic items and expects nobody else knows now how to use them because "only I know how to activate my mechanical devices"
>Expect no other caster can recognice his spells because "It isn't fly spell is my jetpack, it isn't fireball is a flamethrower, it isn't charm is a helm of mind control, etc" and other technobabble
>Same with every mundane item from crowbars "it's an exoskeleton", to ropes "also part of my exoskeleton", etc
>Nobody else is having fun with his unique character that nobody can figure out
>GM caters to every shit that he spouts
Rest of players reached an agreement if this continues we're out

>Expect no other caster can recognice his spells because "It isn't fly spell is my jetpack, it isn't fireball is a flamethrower, it isn't charm is a helm of mind control, etc" and other technobabble
everything but this is fine.

I mean I would allow that sort of fluff in a setting that fit it, but a setting that fit for that would have people who knew how to operate them. Savage Worlds does something like this, with Arcane Backgrounds. Everyone has the same spells list, but for a priest it's holy magic, for a wizard it's his spellbook, and for a mad scientist it's a crazy gadget.

This. It giving actual MECHANICAL benefits is a no-no, otherwise it's cool.

>I would allow that one of the player makes every magic item the party owns only operable by him and only him
No

He's getting mechanical benefits though, he expect counterspell or dispel not working on his stuff because "not magic, just science" and other shit like that.

>but a setting that fit for that would have people who knew how to operate them

It wouldn't be an issue in a setting that worked for it.

Just pull an Arthur C Clarke on him

>Is there something worse than refluffers?
RAWfags, though your example sounds kind of bothersome if he can't convey his character well.

yes, and he said that was NOT okay.

>Just pull an Arthur C Clarke on him
I'm not the GM.
This is what happens when a retard GM goes with "5e is fluffable as fuck", now we're all suffering for his stupidity.

The positive thing is OP can count to potato.

Next time you post, make sure not to slam your face repeatedly onto the keyboard.

Though to be fair, that's the fault of the GM and not (entirely) the player. If I was the GM, I'd say "OK, you can describe your magic as steampunk magitech whatever, sounds cool."
And then when he says "you can't counter my magic spells cause they're sciencey" I'd reply "except it is. Your character sheet says Wizard, the spell name says "fly."

He's doing it wrong. Fluff doesn't give mechanical advantage. What he's doing isn't fluff.

Why the fuck are you retards still in this thread?

The thread had a discussion going on, obviously they were partaking in it. I'm not seeing the issue.

Not him but odd, every example of refluffing I have seen on 5eg always changes something mechanical.

Stop being retards.

New thread, friends

Fluff is explicitly not mechanical. If it changes mechanics, it stops being refluffing and becomes a different thing entirely.
If your group and DM are cool with that, okay. If they're not, like in that guys story, then it's not okay. Plus the change with the gnome he mentioned is pretty unbalanced.

tl;dr: if it makes it work different in-game, it's not refluffing.

or

This.