/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Swolebaxi Edition

>Latest News
Paladin UA is out! dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/paladin-sacred-oaths/
Be sure to fill out the survey on Monks
sgiz.mobi/s3/a6ca24df7196

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/

Seen any tabaxi barbarians yet? Maybe tabaxi paladins?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/mikemearls/status/815056670107676672
pastebin.com/ahwNkwar
youtube.com/watch?v=3Oe7Q8OCm5I
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Thank you user. and to answer your question, no my friends aren't furries.

It WAS awesome, but it definitely requires co-operative players. If my GM had needed to communicate what the rest of the party was seeing and then what I was seeing, it would have fallen flat while slowing the game to half speed. It relied on him describing just one version of reality and me acting on something else.

Lots of stuff like that requires your players to be on board. Mind control, illusions, pre-destined actions... anything that affects your players and not just their characters, what your players decide to do with their characters and the information that they get from you, requires that the players be helping you to pull it off. You just can't force that sort of stuff without risking confusion and resentment.

This thread's better, I'm using this one.

I think the OP of the other thread is that shitposter who routinely fucks up threads with lolsorandumb spam.

> /pfg/ opening image
> better

>big buff catman
>/pfg/
Excuse me, /pfg/ only likes anime catgirls and kitsune.

Hmm, I'll look into Favored Soul Sorcerer. Thanks user.

I've never played anything before 5e and know nothing about pathfinder. If that's a pathfinder image, well, I don't really give a shit. Just looks like furshit to me.

Also fuck the tabaxi.

So I like the whole "space fantasy" schtick.

I was thinking about how to balance blasters (generic ranged weapons dealing different damage types depending on who makes them) with melee weapons. I want them to be a big part of combat mechanically, but I don't want to totally devalue melee weapons because it might be unrealistic but a dude with a plasma sword cutting through robots or some badass fucker with a staff that releases ion shockwaves when it hits stuff is cool and I want that shit. Any ideas/resources from people who have space'd up 5e already?

You could always do it the Dune way of having shields only trigger on things that are moving too fast so melee weapons can get past to actual armor.

Anyone know where I can get the Tome of Beasts by Kobold Press? Most links I find are broken.

So like, if most armors come with a DR value or secondary HP pool that affects blasters and guns, but not like swords and the like?

This sounds like good horror roleplaying though, the GM is there to create divisions in perceptions between players and challenge their realities.

You could do that or just do separate health pools. Make temporary health a decently large pool that regenerates with each short rest or something that blocks any sort of ranged weapon but not melee. Put lots of half and 3/4 cover.

It's in the Mega under Third Party -> Kobold Press

It should still be in the trove.

I suppose that would make sense, smart cover makes a lot of ranged combat a suppression game unless you can punch through it, and a dude with the jump on you could get into slaughterhouse range without much issue given how turnbased works.

The deal with favoured soul sorcerer is they get medium armour without multiclassing and can use quickened spell to get bonus action attacks with green flame blade and booming blade.

Still suffers slight survivability issues and has limited resources but they're definitely an option for a full caster that can do melee damage outputs.

Nice, thanks fellas.

There's also the thought that since most combat in "space fantasy" is generally ranged, armor would have evolved to block/mitigate whatever form of energy your blasters use.

Meanwhile, melee weapons use either plasma or some hyper-dense space metal and just cuts through the armor like butter, because it's not designed to handle someone fucking stabbing them, the idea being you'd have to be insane to charge into a barrage of blaster fire.

>Furry OP

Guess I'll wait for the next general.

How do the firearms from the DMG work?

Like any other ranged weapons. Not sure what you mean, specifically.

Are you still butthurt that everyone think your shitty critical failure houserule is retard?

Anyone with a bit of system mastery would agree.

I'm designing a dungeon, and I'm kind of new to it.

Any tips? I'm probably just gonna sketch it out on notebook paper, but is there a program you guys use to map those out manually? How should I run encounters with traps well?

Here's a question my dudes:
Would you ever allow a dwarf druid who refuses to use wood in favor of being self-sufficient with leather, rocks, and animal shit? And would you let Shillelagh work on a non-wood staff?

sure, that's fine.

Can they make more than one attack in the same round as part of their attack routine?
How does burst fire work?

Guns with the Loading property are the same as crossbows in the PHB. You can only make one attack with each action, bonus action, or reaction you use to attack with, so no Extra Attack. Reload lets you use Extra Attack, but you have to use an action or bonus action to reload when you empty the magazine.

Burst Fire takes 10 pieces of ammunition and targets a 10 foot cube (four squares) with a Dex save instead of making attacks.

Is being this butthurt and scared over a humanoid animal some kind of new meme? I haven't seen MUH FURRIES kick up like this in a long time.

Holy shit, this is excellently helpful, thanks heaps brah!

The burst fire cube seems not a bad idea; the automatic pistol should have a burst fire mode though.

xth for critical failures are garbage and should never be in campaigns

must've not been on Veeky Forums for awhile.

Do I small salt? Show us on this doll where the dice touched you.

Not for months, no.

Lucky Halfling Diviner

'sup cocksuckers

That looks like a post a bitch would make

>you say that like that isn't what I want you to do

I've been kind of tempted to make a barbarian tabaxi. Have a league character that is a tabaxi rogue for "teleport behind you and unsheathes katana" style shenanigans, though as an assassin I quickly found the climbing speed to be more useful. I think a barb with a rogue dip could be really fun.

Mystic is the best. They should release a book just for mystic.

Explain, shitnozzle.

You're the only one here.

twitter.com/mikemearls/status/815056670107676672

It's coming, playtest-wise, anyway.

Notebook paper's not a bad idea. If you have a whiteboard or something, you should draw it out again on that for your players to have fog of war or to only show what you want them to see/have seen.
There should be rules on how to run traps in the DMG. Rolling saves, making Perception checks, etc. For the more complex/unorthodox ones, planning and understanding is key. if you make a trap that spews a billion rats from holes in the walls if a wire is tripped, you better know how to run the players getting covered in a billion rats.

>You're the only one here.
Yea I'll suck your cock. Wanna fight about it

A while ago I posted about a homebrew campaign that will continue on from the events of the LMoP adventure.

To quickly sum it up, I want the first half to be spent dealing with "mundane" problems -- competing intrests, tensions between diverse groups, etc, with the second half being "grander" and more magical.

There is a brazier in LMoP that was the source of magic, but I'm trying to think of a good power source that comes with a good hook for the players.

Originally I was thinking there'd be something sealed away below Wave Echo Cave and their magical aura powered the cave, but Wave Echo Cave has lost its power so I'm not sure if that's apporpriate. I've been thinking either some powerful being/spirit was sealed away in a number of "braziers" and one happened to be in/got taken to Wave Echo Cave and something needs to be done with the rest, or there is a dark way (probably involving sacrifice and mass killings) to create one of these braziers that the BBEG wants to do and the players would try to stop?

Any suggestions, criticisms?

On a LMoP run gone overboard I expanded the wizards tower by the necromancer into a full-blown dungeon. You could do something with that necro aura in the ravine in the redbrand hideout as well.

I'm totally new at it so I'll be watching this. For now I used Inkarnate to design my first map because it looks pretty but it's probably not a very good tool for that scale of map.

The way I approached the one dungeon I've designed is from a RP/setting/story first perspective. What will make this memorable, why is it here, is there a "gimmick"? And then try and design around that if possible.

I'm interested in what people will say about traps, I find them a bit clunky. For more "run of the mill" traps you can sign post a bit to try and prod your characters to actively ask for a perception check. I.e. a long hallway that is otherwise featureless, or has a handful of enemies on the other side that refuse to engage in melee.

In my dungeon there is a twisting hallway where enemies are hiding within the walls, so I think it's fair to try a Perception check since it seems like such a good place for an ambush.

Don't know if you have any use from that.

I forgot about that. In the first half I want to continually hint that there's some dark, powerful magic below the area that keeps seeping up into the surface.

There's a sorcerer in the woods that dies and becomes a wraith and causes blights to appear, I suppose it could have been the cause of the weird undead in Thundertree.

I just don't know what a good source for that is, or how to tie it to the magical brazier in Wave Echo Cave.

My players haven't gotten to the brazier yet so I can still reskin it, to just a pit or a mysterious area or another ravine, but I also don't want to end up regretting it if I decide the braziers lead to some cooler idea.

what happened to the Veeky Forums homebrew megalink, or am i just dumb?

Ok folks, I've got a mechanics question:

If a character is struck by 3 successful hits, and the first drops them to zero hit points (but doesn't cause instant death on its own) if the 2 remaining hits DO drop the "negative HP" to the threshold (the two hits combined do, not alone), does it cause instant death, or does it just cause two failed Death Saves?

In other words, would the hits kill them outright, or would it give them a chance to make death saves still?

pastebin.com/ahwNkwar
Is this what you're looking for? It was in the OP pastebin with resources and stuff.

reetee

I'm not 100% sure but if they're seperate attacks I think that just means 2 failed death saves.

yup that's it thank you

First drops them to zero, second would be an autocrit if it from within 5 feet so two death save failures, third would kill them.

What I did in the one I previously mentioned was have the wizard dungeon tied to the land, through a Fisher King imbuing object that turned the whole campaign area into shit when the necromancer go possessed and got his hands on the object, corrupting the land.
The party split, one went to co-opt the orcs into a fighting force and dealt with the undead versions of creatures they killed early on (including the undead versions of a previous TPK and the dragon), the others defending Phandalin and eventually going through the dungeon to stop whatever was happening, with the two paths intersecting at various points.

If you are that worried about your idea, I advise digging up others campaigns/screencaps/stories, that is what I do when I feel a certain idea isn't strong enough. Are the braziers just taps to the power below the source of it? How many are you thinking of making? Are there individuals trying to protect them or use them for their own ends?
(The necromancer, the sorcerer you mentioned, Agatha, the dragon, the orcs, the bugbear king, the townmaster, black spider, the "miners" in phandalin are all possible chess pieces you could use for that to make things interesting).

Insta kill is when one attacks (i.e. swing of a sword) damage equals or exceeds your hit point maximum when you're already at 0.

As the other user said, attacked a knocked out creature gives autocrits. A crit leads to two automatic failed death saves. Two attacks would be two autocrits totaling 4 failed death saves.

A monster with multiattack could kill a knocked out person in one round.

If those attacks were within 5ft, it would give 4 failed death saves or instant death.

However, unless one single instance of damage (Say, one casting of magic missile or one attack of scorching ray or one attack from a barbarian who makes two attacks) brings them to 'massive damage' levels, their HP is still effectively 0. Imaginary negative HP is never something you'd need to track, ever, just something you'd need to calculate and if it's not enough to kill them you forget about it.

Anybody care to count how many disciplines this shit has? I want muh mystic but i'm too much of a shit head to wait

48 disciplines and 13 talents.

Haven't really thought the details through but the idea of using things from the adventure they know about is interesting.

They haven't encountered the dragon yet so the dragon having a similar magical brazier in its horde is an interesting one.

Thank you for the kind clarifications folks!

Things worked out in the end correctly then, but I wanted to make sure and the way the book words it is kind of weird...

I was DMing and someone got beat pretty bad when they were ganged up, and I knew they either died by death saves or by "instant death" but I wanted to let the player know for sure (and so we could be certain for the future).

The character still died due to failing the single death save I gave them, but it is good to know it would have been "4 failed death saves" anyway, I forgot about the insta-crit on downed characters!

> ganging up PC.
Be prepare for retaliation. His next character will probably be nigh unkillable.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

You might be right, although he did admit that it happened because of his own choices so I don't think he feels cheated or anything. He ran into a group of thugs to be the frontliner as a bard... knowing full well what might happen. Some unlucky hits later he was a pool of blood on the ground

He might end up going a for a bit "physically tougher" build next time, but I doubt he'll go off the deep end (hopefully)

So I was thinking again about dealing with a slightly different system not using death saves, for, say, a game where characters are supposed to die not just because the DM decided to kill them. Maybe for a harsh 'roll stats in order' game where new characters are made sometimes.
It needs to be simple enough, it needs to encourage players not to keep fighting when they're critical, it needs to still allow healing to be effective but not allow healing to keep resetting how close somebody is to death. It's also to make it so the DM doesn't have to hold back killing someone because 'they're down, and it'd be a dick move to attack and give them 2 death saves now'.

>Death saves and any abilities that would be affected by the change are replaced. Players now have a secondary pool of health determined by the average of class hitdice alone. This pool of health is only restored on long rests, maybe at a reduced rate from other sources. If this reduces to 0, the character dies.
>We'll call the usual health 'spirit' and the new health 'body'.
>Damage that damages body gives disadvantage on concentration saves. If the damage to body is higher than double the character's level, they also roll on a large, various effects injury chart which may do nothing or may give them a problem until a long rest.

Heck, I think this might be even more simple than death saves. Characters aren't helpless when they're at/below 0, but they should strongly consider taking cover so they won't needlessly die.

Just to clarify, I want there to be a legitimate reason characters die. Not just 'the DM decided the monster would attack the downed player', but instead 'they pushed themself too hard when they were already at their limit instead of running away and taking cover'.

That's what this is about. I'm not saying everybody should make it part of their game or something, that's just stupid.

>Houserule #27: user may not describe his character again and again until it's clear that he's describing Jack Reacher only he looks liek Richard Armitage instead.

>Let's just say, one day I woke up and the uniform didn't fit anymore.

Hey everybody. In the game I'm playing right now I'm running a wood elf rogue with observant and expretise in perception. My DM despises it and keeps trying to nerf it. Is he an ok character? He has a backstory - a good one too. He's not super powerful either. He's just a really, really, REALLY good scout.

Sounds cool af

Would it be possible to build a level 20 Magic User with this kind of power in 5e?

youtube.com/watch?v=3Oe7Q8OCm5I

You can ignore the song and whatever, just focus on the magic parts.

IIm pretty sure that video is literally based on level 20 wizards. Look at the enemies and spells hes casting.

yeah dude level 20 wizards are basically already that powerful.

The best way to explain those sorts of characters is 'insanely paranoid'.

There is no need to nerf it. If he cannot be surprised, fine. Other members of the party can potentially be surprsied if enemies are very careful (Say, they lie in wait and all jump out - their stealth checks will be against each party member's passive perception and while he might not be surprised, others might be).
If it's to do with traps? Have it so the DM doesn't just say 'yeah, there's a fucking trap there.' Have the DM say that something seems off about this or that. Make it generally useful so that it's not constantly misleading information, or, heck, the DM can use it as a joke instead of getting irritated. 'Your passive perception reveals there is a bunny 100 feet away from your party.'
Or 'You can hear the innkeeper on the loo outside.'

Say he comes across a pitfall trap in the dark. They'll only notice it within 60ft due to darkvision or whatever.
'You notice there's something off about the floor ahead.'
If they want to inspect it, they have to say how they inspect it. If they want to disarm it, they have to say how. You can't just roll thieves' tools on literally everything and disarm literally everything, maybe they'll have to think of a way over the pitfall trap because it's simply a false floor and there's no way across.

Maybe there are traps that don't rely on vision. They hide behind inconspicuous walls and only reveal after a lever is pulled.

Or, heck, the DM can give up on trying to create creative traps and just get on with it and accept that one player has a unique ability to see all sorts of things.

However, they also shouldn't be able to see through illusions - those would use passive investigation, I believe. Which is higher, but unlikely to be quite as high.

What's the most fun PHB class?

Rogue.

When you factor in magic items, sure.

Conjurer wizard or some sort of fun wizard thing like that for all the many options and ways to solve problems.
Or, barbarogue if you just like throwing enemies around and suplexing them and whatever.

Are you going to get alert too? Whats the backstory?

>tabaxi barbarian
Yeah, I've played with someone playing a female one of those, it was the DM's mom

rog or bard

Cheers mate.

I'm planning on taking expertise (investigation) when I hit level 6. I don't expect to use it much, but it makes sense for their backstory.

Basically, they're super paranoid like suggests. They're kinda like Rincewind from discworld - they're a genre savvy serial adventurer who desperately tries to avoid being caught up in dangerous situations. When the party all arrived in the same port town at the adventure start, my rogue tried to avoid all the other characters, especially the sorcerer. He recognised them as being a bunch of rag-tag snowflakes who would all get roped into doing something dangerous (but still wound up guarding a caravan with them). He's basically a hillbilly wood elf vagrant, who's only really good for running and hiding, who would be happiest if the world could save its own damn self for once.

>Ganging up
>Enemies are honourable and shouldn't attack downed heroes
>Heroes wade through rivers of blood never giving a thought to an NPC

Wew nothing like the salt of a PC death

Is she a cougar?

>It's also to make it so the DM doesn't have to hold back killing someone because 'they're down, and it'd be a dick move to attack and give them 2 death saves now'

If the monster/enemy they're fighting would kill someone, they're getting attacked when down.

Wild beasts don't consider whether their food has feelings.

There's a difference between passive and active perception. Sounds like you're confusing them.

A passive perception might enable you to spot something is wrong, or requires closer attention.

Active is when you actively are searching for something, treasure/traps/people.

>Rogue flippantly walks up and opens chest
>Poison gas explodes in his face
>B-but my perception

So, if two enemies go in a row, one enemy takes that guy to 0 and the next enemy decides 'I'm a creature that kills stuff' and goes for them and hits two attacks (or one attack and the guy then fails their death save if they go before a healer has a chance to help. Either way, they have advantage to hit and the target can't use 'shield' or anything) they're just dead?

I guess players might want to think about lore, but it's very hit-or-miss when a DM might pull out 'this creature is one that kills downed players'. Not to mention, I'd rather have players die for a reason other than 'it's that kind of monster'.

It's much more heroic when a player dies fighting to their last breath than falling to the ground and being eaten by wolves because nobody would heal them that round.

I thought passive perception was what people trying to sneak up on you rolled against? It just annoys my DM cuz I see his ambushes coming.

it is
you're right

Yes, stealth rolls are contrasted by passive perception.

But any suitably prepared ambush is going to give at least advantage on the ambushers stealth rolls.

The DM could be as vague as to say "you get a bad feeling about that copse of trees up ahead" or
"you're being watched, if you make any sudden movements or alert your party prepare to be attacked"

He doesn't have to say "you see 10 men, 3 dogs and a pit trap lying in wait"

>It's much more heroic when a player dies fighting to their last breath

Sure, but some deaths are ignoble. Desperately clawing to life, as they clutch their intestines spilling from their gut. Questioning every decision that led them to this muddy field dying in the pursuit of empty gold.

Veeky Forums's been getting a pretty heavy influx of shitposting lately. It's just ETBA's being ETBA's.

>Seen any tabaxi barbarians yet? Maybe tabaxi paladins?
Been considering either a Barb or Monk Tabaxi. I like their stats.

Eh, well. Maybe 'heroic' wasn't a good way to put it.

'Dramatic', maybe.

I really don't like the idea of 'You're down you can't do anything but roll death saves, start sucking the healer's dick if you want your character to survive' compared to still being able to act, but likely doing whatever they can to stay alive.

Only problem is if people treat it like free extra health, except they don't have a death save cushion and they just die. Though you can brlame that on the player, maybe a guy without any regular health would just be prone like an unconscious guy but still be conscious. Otherwise it's just the monk sprinting at high velocity out of there rather than clawing their way out to survive.

So it finally happened. I was playing through a level 1-2 AL adventure (to help our DM get some rewards) and through a series of misadventures we almost got ourselves a TPK. Because someone had to be a wild magic sorcerer.

And they just had to wild magic surge.

And they just had to roll fireball killing everyone but me (though I was unconscious... barely).

And then they just had to do it again.

A wild beast is the type of creature that's least likely to savage a downed character, as long as other threats are present. It's the smart monsters that understand "the guy with a shield who keeps shouting is going to revive the archer, unless I slit his throat first."

Why do DMs think its a good idea to subvert heroism tropes

like nigga, why the fuck do you think I play DnD? Do you think its because I wanna be impressed by how much of a Veeky Forumsfag you are?

This is how I undying warlock with the noble background.

>Party consisting of
>Zealot Barbarian
>Inquisitive Rogue
>Light Cleric
>Vengeance Paladin
>Theurgy Wizard

>RIP AND TEAR in the name of Pelor across the countryside
>Investigate the locals for heresy (the actual kind not the 40k kind)
>Challenging Hobgoblins to deathmatches over who's god is the real one
Man those religious people are right, Religion is WAY more fun as a group!

You'll feel better after that first TPK user.