Song of Swords: Revengeance

Last time on Song of Swords:
Feliz Navidad, Art, and a conversation about Halo conversions

This time on Song of Swords:
Do the AVs in Ballad work for melee weapons too, or would they require adjustment to bring them in line with SoS?

Song of Swords is a a tabletop RPG centered around realistic medieval fightan' with a ludicrous variety of weapons and fighting styles, centered around a dice pool system. It's currently in beta, and can be used for both fantasy and historical games.

Call of the Void: Ballad of the Laser Whales is a pulpy sci-fi tabletop RPG about fighting space-nazis and hunting giant whales with harpoons made out of the moon. Its combat system is more modern, based in the early 20th century, but can probably handle combat up to the present day.

MEGA folder containing current version of the game and all supplementary materials. At this time the latest version is v1.9.9:
mega.nz/#F!S89jTT7J!ozFi9GvzaFGHfBa59Ik2-Q

Here's a wiki detailing SoS's fantasy setting, getting filled up bit by bit as Jimmy reveals more details:
tattered-realms.wikia.com/wiki/Tattered_Realms_Wik

Happy New Years, guys.

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/h3HFwVx
youtube.com/watch?v=acxnmaVTlZA
myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=8942&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/346755/song-of-swords-fecht-room
app.roll20.net/editor/setcampaign/346755
app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/346755
app.roll20.net/join/346755/hRKd4w
paste2.org/aKfOBmWJ
paste2.org/6OyOsFM3
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/40517213/#40520726
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/31689583/#31694813
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Are peasants equipped with poleflails and poleslings still a best?

Both are still real fucking good, but Pole Flails aren't a universal god weapon.

Jimmy Rome is a fag

Jimmy Rome sucks cocks in hell

Jimmy Rome, Happy New Year to you

If you keep flattering him like this, he'll never finish the game. You need to insult him.

Jimmy Rome is a Protestant who likes women, and those women are all adults who are older than him.

Jimmy Rome is antifa(g)

Jimmy Rome is a fan of Hannibal Barca.

What's your favorite thing about the Song of Swords system, anons?

that it's coming soon

The character creation, assuming it gets polished instead of broken.

How much combat actually matters. It's fun to play, but it's also dramatic and tense, and makes even small skirmishes really matter.

Is it possible to do anything other than MAYBE 2v2 without it being a tremendous pain in the ass that takes a week?

Yeah. Just use the new updated initiative rules. Large groups are now fairly easy.

The spectacle of these threads and the development process.

How characters feel just a bit more real than a lot of RPGs I've played.

The obvious answer is the combat. I think the best part of that though is how much of a difference the specific weapon you're using makes on your tactics. No other game comes even close to the Riddle-family in that regard, and SoS is the most extreme of the subgenre.

I love the historical opportunities. I can stat up all sorts of historical soldiers accurately and fight with them realistically

Jimmy Rome is a protestant

>antifa(g)
He's in the Westboro Baptist Church?

Are there any new home brew published or in works?

Maybe we should add the Discord to the OP?

Or he's a member of Antifa. Hard to tell which is worse.

The combat. Selling people on the game by describing combats is really easy.

>48 seconds

Here's to another year of strong coffee and stabbings in the dick.

BOOK WHEN, JIMMY!?

Soon.

Speaking of coffee, where's mancer?

The fatality of the system forces your players into roleplaying, often without realising it.

Yeah it me.
I just didnt wanna namefag when I wasnt drawing.

So people can hear "Soon" in real time? here's the link from last thread: discord.gg/h3HFwVx

Discord is just another sekrit club. I come here for content on Veeky Forums you queers.

Hear ye hear ye

Well, it's a sekrit club that you can join, so there's that.

Happy New Years, ya bastards. Here's to Soon.

I heard they worship the Devil in there.

Jimmy Rome is the worst kind of roman. A barbarian loving bottom bitch. Trust only in Me! Johnny Cartage.

youtube.com/watch?v=acxnmaVTlZA

For old time's sake, you rat fuck bastards.

Bobby Carthage is our true lord and savior, you fucking hack fraud.

>tfw you will never duel Jimmy with a partisan

It's been a wild ride. I look forward to Soon becoming Now, yet I do.

Reee fuck off cunt

How should I stat a Dendra Panopoly?

This thread over at my armoury has a good discussion of the Dendra Panoply, with pictures and feedback from a reconstruction that is fairly close to the original. The reconstruction weighed 25kg all together along with the helmet and while somewhat bulky was functional enough to allow foot combat without too much trouble. The original is a bit lighter but this might not reflect how heavy it was when it was used.

myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=8942&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Within Song of swords, the panoply can be broken down into several pieces of bronze plate. The helmet found with the armour was a boar's tusk lamellar conical helm.

Lamellar Pot hem; possibly knock a pip of AV off but keep the hard quality as boar's tusk is quite tough, especially compared to leather.

Gorget: Weight increased to 2 since it lacks any support and jumps around as you move.
Breatplate/backplate
Faulds: Bottom of ribcage to mid-thighs.
Pauldrons: Shoulder, half coverage for upper arm?
Vambraces: Forearm
Greaves: Shins, knee

It doesn't seem that the Mycenaean's wore much in the way of arming garments, beyond a basic lining that is included in the armour's base stats. The one exception seems to be the greaves which could be worn over quited linen leggings.

>so people can hear "Soon" in real time?
So far that and reeeing about Mass Effect

>Abhuman fucking shits
How do we stat the Diskos in SoS?

Circular saw on a pole. Deals lots of damage, high AP, can't hook, M range, ATN7. Not a good weapon, desu.

I wish there was a base option for Greaves that covered the knee as well. And for greaves that aren't plate.

VERY
SOON

To be fair there are between maille chausses, laminar leg armour and various textile leggings most non-plate leg defenses are covered to some extent.

However while the weapons list is fairly expansive and covers most (though not quite all) items you could hope for in a variety of settings, the armour list is much more focused on late medieval/renaissance Europe and environs.

Which is understandable but does mean you have to homebrew some equipment outside this remit. One solution is to break things down by time period and region with equipment packs in order to get comprehensive coverage of all the options (such as knee-covering greaves that don't need a poleyn in a Greek setting) available while keeping things manageable.

So any of you are up for a fight?

It's a sorry day when this doesn't gather interest.
Then again, it's a holiday.

What are some glaringly missing armors? Most I can think of are earlier armor types like lininthorax.

How should different materials be handled? The current material rules suck. Should things like bronze plate have the same AV but higher weight, or have a lower inherent AV?

I will try again later. Prepare your character sheets if you guys are interested in senseless bloodletting.

ddddd

>the night land

MA
FUCKIN
NIGGA

Isn't that what the Metal Glades are rippe-inspired by?

22 or 26 PCP?
Murderhobo or Sensible Starting Character?

I like 22 while learning, but 20 once someone knows the system. Higher pcp values should be reserved for games where you know players will balance themselves or if you want them to be superheroes from the getgo.

Possibly, but not 100%. Jimmy has said he likes the story.

I think the armor system works pretty well right now so long as you are creative. What I would like though is some stuff to balance out light armors like talents that give you cp for wearing light armor or bonuses similar to light noble but more restrictive to light noble. Like the party reduction bonus, but with a hard cap to armor wt allowed.

Those scales look like they come off of steamer baskets.

I'm talking about you wanting to fight today, I don't think I've got any 20 PCP characters lying around.

I really don't like things like that. As crazy as this sounds, balance isn't really a factor in armor. With very few exceptions, you're going to be wearing the heaviest armor you can afford. Light speedsters are a gamey thing that doesn't really fit what SoS is going for. Those few exceptions are covered by the rules for keeping armor on for a long time. If anything, those penalties just need to be made harsher for extended wearing. I'd also like a time table for how long it takes to put on or take off armor, so that people aren't just traveling in their heaviest armor and so it's clear what you can or cannot put on in case of an emergency.

As someone who would like to get into Song of Swords, but finds the character creation system(specifically the equipment and proficiency section) somewhat daunting, how would one go about learning about the game? Or even finding a group to play with?

Could a kind user help me make a character for Riddle of Steel? I've never played before. My concept is a skald, leaning on the warrior side with an ax and shield.

I have no magic, race/culture of one trait and one flaw, under gifts I have one minor gift and one minor flaw, 7/7 in skills, 11 (max 7 in one) proficiencies, and 47 in attributes.

Badger one of the oldfags into tutoring you in the R20 room.
Recruit or be recruited for games in the thread here.
Once you have acquired proficiency, teach your IRL friends and spread the infection.

It's only daunting because a drunk idiot wrote the book. Once you have it down, it's pretty simple. The best way to go about it is having someone teach you character creation and run you through a sample fight. Once that's done, you'll have a pretty good understanding of everything.

I'd help you out, but I have a tooth to get drilled early tomorrow morning. Once you do learn, however. Shill. Shill like a motherfucker. Reach down into the depths of your soul and shill harder than a snake oil salesman during the Great Depression. Recruit your friends, teach them, and watch them teach others.

Sounds like a plan. Got a link to the roll20?

app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/346755/song-of-swords-fecht-room

It's in the OP. Just go and lurk until you can badger someone to help you.

>niggers didn't put it in the OP
Well, someone will need to put up the join room link.

Thank you very much.

And now it's not letting me join. Sonuvabitch.

Well that didn't work.

Does this one work?
app.roll20.net/editor/setcampaign/346755

No, says my session to join the game has expired.

>The best way to learn swordsmanship is though a mentor
>Second best way is old texts (fechts in the archives)
>SoS now models learning to fight in a meta sense as well

This was Jimmy's plan all along.

Hmm, maybe
app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/346755

Never played Riddle, sorry.

Still saying I'm not authorized. I'm surprised this group doesn't have a discord or something.

We just got one, actually

discord.gg/h3HFwVx

Well, that solves part of the problem I suppose. Just joined it.

And finally here it is.

app.roll20.net/join/346755/hRKd4w

Since they aren't in the OP, here you go.

Character Creation
paste2.org/aKfOBmWJ

Proficiency Schools
paste2.org/6OyOsFM3

Diego Fecht
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/40517213/#40520726

Viking Fecht
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/31689583/#31694813

That and a desire to have Alien in your fantasy setting.

>tfw the hideous subhuman abominations the Burdinadin are looking at from their redoubts are just humans

And Lendians!

What are your priorities? A for attributes, B for Profs, C for Skills, D for gifts?

You didn't list your social class and have 2 more Proficiencies than B priority allows (9 Profs). You don't need to worry about race/culture. Base setting for TRoS is notoriously bad and most people roll with whatever homebrew or alternative history settings they have,

22 PCP

>mfw always getting 18 PCP
Being a peasant is suffering

No. No, this is stupid and bad and wrong.

Let me refer you to the Leather Armor section for Opaques views on light armor.
"Leather wasn't generally worn as armor. While leather clothing was common enough, and plenty of
warriors wore gloves, jerkins and so forth, it wasn't really expected to protect the wearer from swords or
spears. Rawhide, or thick leather like that used in buffcoats, however, could definitely thwart a swordblow,
and for a time, leather coats were issued to infantry and cavalrymen alike to wear as armor. This
suit takes it a bit further, it's just a full suit of leather. It weighs virtually nothing, isn’t that expensive, and
it provides comprehensive, if minimal, protection to the whole body. Helmet not included, but why would
you bother? Just buy a hat."

Everyone always says combat in Song of Swords is fast and lethal, but every goddamn time I run a practice fecht, it lasts for three hours for one combat, because everyone is wearing armor out the whazoo, and it takes forever for people to actually do the fighty bits.

How do you guys do it as fast as you claim? The mental math
>Okay so I've got 6 Strength, and 2 AP Swing, and +2b, and wait are you wearing Hard armor on that location? Okay yeah you'll check it - okay so yeah it's Hard so that's 10 damage before BS and with 2 BS that's uh, 12 damage, okay so 12 damage to your Face, and you have how much DR?
>Uh I got layer 1 on my face, and uh I've got 8 TOU, so with my uh, okay I have 15 DR on my face
>Great, fucking nothing happens then, amazing. How much CP do you have left?
>Uh I dunno, didn't you write it down for me?
>Yeah I did but you targeted my Lower Arms so you got one back and then there's a bunch of other mods here like +2, what's that from?
>Flourishing Drills?
>Okay yeah but your Swing got canceled so what, do you keep the +2?
>I dunno, I'd look it up in the rulebook but the rulebook's like the fucking Voynich manuscript
you have to do alone slows the game down to a crawl,

Also, what reason is there to ever go anything but Red? Flee is useful, Total Block requires a shield though, but I can kinda see Blue sometimes (very, very rarely), but why ever go Yellow? Like, unless you actively want to give up the Initiative for Disarm or other all-in maneuvers that aren't actually any good, what's the friggin' point?

>Everyone always says combat in Song of Swords is fast and lethal, but every goddamn time I run a practice fecht
Jimmy shouldn't have bumped Armor Value and Damage of weapons. It was a pretty dumb move.

Unless you are very confident that you can win the red/red initiative test, going Red is dangerous as hell.

>going Red is dangerous as hell
It is not and it's one of the flaws in TRoS in its successors. While Red dangerous, trying to defend against all-in attack and take the initiative is hardly better. Chances to do that are low and most of the time you just soften the blow. Next round situation repeats, attacker has the initiative and you must defend. In Red-Red you at least threaten the opponent.

Simultaneous maneuvers sorta laugh at that notion, though.

Yeah they're not ALWAYS optimal, but they often are

Red/Red isn't the only viable option, but it's the choice in like, 80% of scenarios I've seen

Steal Initiative is more likely to succeed than the Red/Red initiative roll, though. You can add dice to your regular initiative total, and the only counter an opponent has is that they can do it back--an ability they give up if they go All-In.

Generally speaking I'd say this is a medium-hard counter to the all in strategy as it is. TROS had several much stronger counters to the strategy than this, like Evasive Attack. The all-in all the time meta is just a phase players go through, you will realize as time goes on that it isn't the end-all be-all of the system at all.

>Steal Initiative is more likely to succeed than the Red/Red initiative roll, though
True but technically it's the same thing, attack counters attack. It's still better option than defense and weak riposte afterwards given how high AV negates this pitiful attempt.
>like Evasive Attack
Evasive Attack was broken, just saying, it was one of the best maneuvers available.

The point is that throwing Red and going all in is dangerous because a Yellow followed by a Steal Initiative counters it hard. Cautious engagements are less likely to be countered that hard, but they're also less effective at killing outright. Slower and more methodical engagement strategies lack these instant counters.