If D&D is superheroes set in medieval times, and D20 does D&D well, why is every D20 superhero system such shite?

If D&D is superheroes set in medieval times, and D20 does D&D well, why is every D20 superhero system such shite?

Because people think that superheroes means capeshit. Specifically, American kitchen sink capeshit.

That's why.

>D20 doing anything well.
Well *there's* yer problem!

Because superhero games should follow a narrative to be like a story. IE, to be like a comic book. D20 and systems like it focus more on the characters themselves which distracts from the narratives. If you want a good comic tabletop, look at M&M or Heroes Unlimited

This. The D20 system is 3E D&D, aka not-quite-GURPS, aka the shittiest edition of D&D ever released.

>D20 and systems like it focus more on the characters themselves which distracts from the narratives. If you want a good comic tabletop, look at M&M or Heroes Unlimited

M&M is based on OGL and Heroes Unlimited is based on an AD&D homebrew though?

Unless you're being facetious in which I apologize for not recognizing it.

AD&D is fine for what it is, but you are correct on M&M being shit.

Now a *good* modern Superhero system is Tokyo Nova.

Personally, I have had a great experience with M&M but I was probably too dumb to see it. Mind explaining to my why?

The same reason you like it. Personal opinion.
If you like it, then that's all you need.
Won't stop me from saying that it's shit. It's not like I'm saying you're shit.

I still recommend you try out Tokyo Nova though.

I like it because it reminds me of my childhood hanging out at the local comic book store because of the focus on making a compelling story as well as having fun. I'll surely look into TN

Good on you bro, and Merry late-Christmas.

>and D20 does D&D well

found the flaw in your logic

>Because superhero games should follow a narrative to be like a story
Marvel Heroic did a great job with this. As all approaches were similarly valid, with the super hero's stats dictating their favorite approaches more than their power. This aided in focusing on the narrative.

Really wish the assholes holding the license for the system will get their shit together and release the generic version.

Because none of them are based on 4e.

The thread isn't even that long yet buddy, *read*.

Because the last time they tried was 3e D&D, which was less fantasy superheroes and more Wizards; The Wizarding. And then they took out the wizards, making it just a pile of shit.

If they did Modern again with 5e or 4e it'd be great - Gamma World was 4e, and it was a blast and it's the closest D&D has gotten to modern day (post-apocalyptic future) in a while

Modern 4e could be very fun.

Have them REALLY go strong on the 'HP is more than just meat points' to get across that 'No, your guy is not soaking 50 bullets happily' and firmly establish 'No, PCs are not average dudes. They are action heroes and this is a game for playing an action movie, not a realistic gunfight'

Minions would be very, very fitting for it. For when you need to John Wick through a dozen dudes.

Amethyst, sirs.

Sapphire, madam?

'It's Shit' and 'I don't like it' aren't the same, user

But Mutants & Masterminds is pretty great at superheroes, provided your group realizes that the Power Points don't necessarily create even level characters.

First off, I disagree with D&D being 'superheroes in medieval times', aside from 4e which was always supposed to be the flashy and almost gonzo end of the spectrum.
And 4e would actually be pretty great for a superheroes system, as much as I prefer other fantasy RPGs.

Second, it's because of assumptions in how characters are built and measured--the important differences in superheroes vary more at the base ability level, so you either need a bunch of different classes that can then plug even more different variations and abilities into (Heroes Unlimited/Megaversal system) or abandon it (Mutants & Masterminds).
Without substantial overhauls it's a non-starter. Look at Mutants & Masterminds: it works by changing as much as it can and switching the focus from the inherited core mechanics to entirely new subsystems and ways of measuring characters and effects. The only thing that really works the same as 3.X is saving throws.

MWP is transitioning out of RPGs, but they've licensed the system to Cam Banks who was the central designer of Marvel Heroic. He's definitely interested in developing more Cortex+ stuff, so there's a good chance we'll see the generic Heroic rules after all.
He's also been working on the Sentinels of the Multiverse RPG, which has a lot of similarities with Marvel Heroic, almost like it's a spiritual sequel.

No, D20 is intrinsically D&D, and D&D does more or less ok superheroes in medieval DUNGEONCRAWLS. Modern superheroes don't dungeoncrawl, that's why D20 sucks at modern superheroes.

A fun challenge in this scenario (not something you would just load on the DM, mind you) would be seeing how far you could get as a minion doing everything in your power to avoid getting hit, loading out on charisma and other non-combat skills and perhaps focusing on stealth, anything to avoid a fight. Of course, the underlying assumption is that you would eventually die: person who gets farthest in the campaign wins.

Nobody ever fucking said that.
That isn't the point.
Cheap bait is cheap.

Is that picture supposed to be another one of those "deep" commentaries on modern society? Ugh.

Calm down, I think it's just a joke about the Minions marketing cancer, and how they're evil minions. A couple years ago the minions were on EVERYTHING.