MTG EDH/Commander General

Commanders No One Should Play Edition

Old Thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Topic:
What is the absolute worst commander deck you've ever built? What in particular sucked about it?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/le-capitane-yidris-et-son-equipage-des-damnes/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Wow, the flavor text on this is awesome. Anyone else have anything neat?

Fist for GOAT Giant

She's probably my worst commander but best deck

>What in particular sucked about it?
WotC built her precon as a trap: never go Full Giant-Tribal. She functions a lot better if you treat everything after her Keywords as flavor text and deck her out with equipmemt

As a house rule, we ruled that playing your commander from the commander zone shares the same effect as playing it from your hand.

Someone runs the Green One for a stompy deck.

>As a house rule, we ruled that playing your commander from the commander zone shares the same effect as playing it from your hand.
Hmm, neat. Any special interactions outside of the usual phage nonsense?

Not really. Just let's us simplify things and use the Myojin/Phage if we wanted as our commanders.

I can't think of anything where it's honestly abused. One dude has Phage as his general, but it's just a normal reanimator deck with Phage at the helm. I don't think he has any other mono black legendary creatures is why. lol

Possibility Storm would like a word with you.

Not that she's a bad commander, but people usually hate my chaos aggro decks so I'll be hatefucked out of the game.

Gimme the spice and no one gets hurt!

Would proliferate

House rule banned.

Yeah, I don't get it either. I came into this group maybe a few months ago. The commander thing is new but Possibility Storm/Warp World/Thieves Auction/Scramble Verse/ect are banned because "they make the game go much longer and everyone loses interest in the game". I mean I get it, but at the same time those cards aren't broken. I think someone was doing something stupid with a chaos deck at the time and made them all salty.

Knowledge Pool?

>I think someone was doing something stupid with a chaos deck at the time and made them all salty.
Which is the appropriate reaction, and meshes nicely with the commander rule change. Come to think of it, that could be neat as an official rule change.

Basically any card that causes confusion like those cards do. They wrote the list down somewhere, I just need to read it again.

Few other cards are unbanned. Sundering Titan, Primeval Titan, and Sylvan Primordial are unbanned. Deadeye Navigator is banned.

One card that isn't banned that fucks with the game a lot is Timesifter. Used it in Kozilek for the longest time before I dismantled it.

>banning possibility storm

Shitters, the lot of them. Find a new group.

They go out of their way to make their decks easier and then ban a simple card because they can't be assed deal with permanent.

This type of approach breeds stagnation.

Always found this one funny.

These giant fetishes need to stop; first face sitting, now fisting.

>Sundering Titan, Primeval Titan, and Sylvan Primordial are unbanned
Jesus don't walk, RUN

Why in God's name they didn't include Avatar of Fury in that deck is absolutely beyond me.

The same reason they put this in: fuck you that's why.

They could have at least included some evoke dudes for an easy exp or two.

My group has no house rules and has so far been open to play with everything short of fast locks like Leovold, which I can understand. I appreciate my group.

They gave us ingot chewer and the one that destroys a land, I think.

The 5Cmc Dash guy from khans block is probably the best recurrent way to get XP with her at a discount, sans proliferation schenanigans

What the hell should I build with this waifu bait? I have extremely little experience with UG and her ability doesn't overtly point to any specific mechanics or archetypes

Best 4color general. Every other 4c general was just lame

auto include mirris guile and chingchong top

no

sylvan library

>Dies to breya
>Shit colors
>Does not go infinite
Lame.

Don't come whining to me when I naturalize your commander

I would go for ramp. big beasties supported by thassa and other unblock shenanigans

>not stealing commanders

Nah, it's actually alright. None of those cards are really that bad to us, and without Deadeye Navigator it hasn't been bad.

Less infinite combos tho.

So I want to make a blue (with others I guess) colour the gets out big stompy krakens, Oct', and leivithans. Little control, little this and that. Thoughts on Cmd'er?

>Worst Commander deck
8.5 Tails. I love the strategies in it to death and it wasn't a *bad* deck per se, but every deck at every table I've ever played at had either more powerful win conditions, better card advantage, stronger interaction, or combo'd off more reliably. Sometimes my deck was the worst at the table at all of those things.

It's fun on paper, but in practice getting curbstomped gets old quickly.

Ahoy maties! Are ye' looking for a life of adventure, riding the multiverse and plundering its treasures? Y'arg, then ye' be in the luck, for ye've been selected fer the crew of the damned. Join us on our adventures as we cascade into troves of booty, impress our foes into joining our vile ranks, and best of all loot the landlubbers! Our ultimate prize is the famed Aladdin's Ring and Lamp. But be warned, not all who set sail. Y'argh.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/le-capitane-yidris-et-son-equipage-des-damnes/

Which of these commanders would you play?

there was a braids deck someone posted the other day that was basically exactly what you discribe, you might still find it if you look through archived threads

>angel spirit
>no flying
runo seems easy enuff to combo with

Momir Vig is also cool, he also gives you Access to all the ramp

None of them seem very good or interesting.
Also, you chose shitty tribes.

>Silara
Maybe. She seems more interesting than Atarxa.. Also, is right, she should have flying.
>Edlyn
No
>Runo
Yes, but that's mostly because this guy is busted as fuck. Run zero basics, maybe 50 creatures, and Hermit Druid, GG
>Ryfon
No, boring card
>Lychnus
Interesting, maybe. I don't think it needs the damage clause though.

Fuck off to your containment thread you troglodyte.

Lifegain ability in the only commander who is missing white. Why?

Yerr was thing this, but more RU with Jhoira, to get wheels and things like back to basics.
A friend plays Vig and I'm not a fan of him. Dumb cunt. (Card not the player). Any other ideas? Kiora seems like a plan with Vig and the whole GU.

cute
CUTE
CUUUUUUUUUUTE!

Is Mizzix more or less fun for a U/R general compared to Niv-Mizzet? No infinite combos in niv-mizzet though, and I do try to focus on spell slinging.

Your formatting really needs work, but I actually like Ryfon and Lychnus.
It's weird that your Pirate has White in her color identity, though. It doesn't really make much sense and I don't think it fits her ability that well either. Also, don't put flavor text on cards that already have that much text.
Runo doesn't look like he's flying in the art, which is weird. Silura has the opposite problem. Maybe give Runo menace instead.

House bans tell you a lot about a group. Usually that they're at least a little bit shit.

Yeah I honestly don't know how I missed that.
Boring maybe, but Treefolk need something other than Doran and Colfenor. I felt like Pirates would be a good theme for a looting commander, and I thought a Vampire/Zombies dude might be neat. The other two admittedly took like 5 minutes to figure out, so that might be why they're boring in comparison, especially Ryfon.
And a nip nong ching chong to you too, young lady.
There are several black vampires with lifegain-related abilities. I felt it wasn't that far off the spectrum.

Gonna go take 's advice and tweak them some more, maybe post them next thread or in /ccg/

>shit colors
user, they share 3/4 of the same colors

Reccomend mesone insane chaos red cards.

So I'm working on a K&T enchantress deck, and would like some ideas on anything spicy I could do with four colours. I'm already thinking enchanted evening+opalense+aura thief+vicious shadows for a win con, anything else janky and weird I could do?

>What is the absolute worst commander deck you've ever built?
"Ever" is a really boring way to ask this question. It was Patron of the Nezumi rat tribal. Basically just a pile of 99 black cards that I took to my first ever EDH event.

The worst deck that I currently play, which I think is a much more interesting question, is Sedris, the Traitor King "phasing tribal". Basically it's built around abusing Unearth to keep things for longer than one turn. In reality I don't unearth much and it's just cool cards I like that are all Grixis colors. It's got some spicy ones, though. Magosi the Waterveil, Teferi's Isle, Synod Sanctum, Gilded Drake (actually spicy). I also threw in Worldgorger Dragon combo even though I can't really win with it easily. The one and only time I actually won with it involved a lot of Mindclaw Shaman triggers and luck

To be fair, pic related is pretty much auto include in every Myojin deck.

Built a deck utilizing her to get out big beefy sea monsters with islandwalk for my campus playgroup.

...it wasn't good.

Eh really? That art... Not really cute stuff... More... wangy school girl.

>wangy school girl

the pirate cuz she looks cute

What commanders should I be looking at if I want to build Mono white, red, and green?

I like enchantments for white, I want a massive explosive weenie rush for red, and green might just be straightforward ramp good stuff.

Futa yo

Omnath Locus of Mana is too easy. Literally, it's playing with an infinite mana cheat.

According to EDHrec (which, eh) this is still only played in 2% of Kaalia decks. Now, I'm not a fan of the typical Kaalia deck but I still maintain that this card is pretty sick. I emphasize ETB pretty highly so maybe it honestly isn't as great as I think but there's a lot of really fun plays you can do with it.

Get Karmic Guide from hand and Rune-Scarred Demon from graveyard. Tutor something with Demon, bring back Sun Titan, revive something. Attack, Karmic Guide dies, return Demon to hand.

Or, Angels of Despair and Serenity. Exile three creatures and attack with a 5/5. Seems sweet.

The dream is to somehow Ninjutsu Ink Eyes (my much looser and more personal secret tech for Kaalia) to get back the creature that's going to your graveyard.

>school girl
>not cute
Are you serious?

>obligatory "traps are gay" post

ur wrong.

Probably all my decks are jank to you guys. I like them though.

Jank with a purpose and the ability to win is fun. I've also got an Iname deck that tries to combo with Conspiracy but mostly just plays big black mana cards.

Blue Braids is a human wizard (female) and she is cute!

All my jank has purpose. It's just I don't have some of the classic win condition cards experienced players might know about yet and I win a little less often than I'd like. I've only been playing for a year and a half.

I'm slowly accumulating the stuff I need, but now have to decide if I want to get the even more expensive cards to replace some of the ones I bought to keep up in my meta and I'm really not so crazy about that.

Basically I've taken a more economical route on most card buy decisons (poor man's versions when possible), and it shows in my win ratio.

I played LCGs first so it's hard for me to justify spending 40 bucks on the planeswalker I need, much less 4x of a $25 card I would want. This is also why I don't play standard.

I'm running something similar, but with more MLD/Pillowfort. Enchantress is there for more of a means to an end.

I'm planning on utilizing lands for this. Swans + Chain of Plasma to draw my deck, Borb V.2 to chuck them at people, with Wheel of Sun and Moon to flip them over.

I'm also running Wildfire and Destructive Force because 90% of the time I'm always coming ahead thanks to KnT's big asses.

Rector + Omniscience is in here, obv.

I'm also thinking about Guile+Purph+Dovescape but unsure how to fit in them in.

Wait... you mean like pay to win?

Now Now, I said Futa. If you are going to miss quote me, Please then don't try and mock me with what you wrote, not I. As for what I wrote, I see nothing wrong with a trap or futa Braids, But i will need to find some new art.
She is still very... man-ish

>custom cards
I'll play a Triple lotus as my commander. It's an artifact creature for 0 manas, 10/10 that i can sacrifice to generate 10 manas. I also start first if he is my commander, and win the game once i cast. cannot be countered

>She is still very... man-ish
What? No she's not.
Seriously, how? Here's a larger picture. Circle the "mannish" parts for me, please. Cheekbones don't count.

I know I asked this question last thread but I wasnt really quite clear with what I was trying to say:

I'm torn between 4 different color combos for a stealstuff deck. The four decks are
>Lazav or Mirko Vosk
>Tasigur or Leovold. I'm not impressed with Mimeoplasm.
>Anything Grixis thats not Marchesa or Jeleva. Tried them. Didnt like either of them.
>Sen Triplets

I've played each of them once but always taken it apart because I didnt really have the cards to support them back then. Now I want to try it once again now that I sort of "purged" most of my edh collection to just a bunch of cards stacked up and ready to be sleeved.

I want to atleast keep it Blue/Black since I want to run both Bribery type and Grave-Theft typea of effects. Along with Dragonlord Silimgar/Gilded Drake/Sower of Temptation.

I also want to find a wincon of my own since relying on other peoples wincons isnt the most reliable thing to do. The only things I can think of are Mindcrank+Bloodchief Ascension qnd the Leovold Locks.

Tl;dr I want to find a UBx that can utilize cards like Bribery, Expropriate, Diluvian/Sep Primordials, Rise of the Dark Realms.

Anyone have any experience with this card at all? If you run a light land deck or are able to get rid of a lot quickly from your deck with something like Endless Horizons then wouldnt it be almost worth it to exile most of your deck to get a huge swarm real quick? I am considering it for my Hazezon deck since I already only run 33 lands, and the warrior part is right on theme.

Not him, but she's got a strong chin, strong jaw, flat hairline, and an adam's apple. The shoulderpads don't help. I can see it.

This is a bit vague, but in general taking cheap replacements for expensive cards is a worse route than just finding a strategy that's cheaper. But one thing I do like about EDH is building up decks over time, not just evolving them but finally getting that one card that upgrades it. Finally managed to get an All Hallow's Eve for Iname a while back which was really sweet.

>strong chin
I'll take that
>strong jaw
That's the same thing
>flat hairline
Que? What does a hairline have to do with it?
>Adam's apple
404 not found, that neck is pretty darn smooth pal.

>strong chin
Strong narrow chins are typically considered attractive in females, it's a result of high cheekbones
>strong jaw
Meh
>flat hairline
They're called bangs. Ask any girl about them, faggot.
>Adams apple
No she fucking doesn't. Are you blind? That's just shading of musculature which your neck is mostly made of.

Christ it's like Veeky Forums posters never actually interact with women.

>not liking chin

For white I like Odric Lunarch Marshal. Jazal Goldmane, Avacyn Angel of Hope, or Jareth Leonine Titan can be pretty good too.

Krenko Mob Boss is really good for red but it's not very original

Omnath Locus of Mana is good for mono-green, when I had a Yisan the Wanderer Bard he was pretty fun too.

I wish gifts ungiven wasn't banned its cool.

Why do people like the new Avacyn? She seems utterly worse than the old one?

You mean Guardian Angel?
I knew a guy who ran her in Sisay legendaries. It's pretty good alongside Eight-and-a-Half-Tails, I think it was.

Pretty sure he means the one that flips.

Should it take longer than a week to build a deck, it once took me six hours to make a 60 card deck but this is rediculous

>This much defense.
Not him but she doesn't look like a woman. She is androgynous at best and the only giveaway to feminity is the braids. And the cheeks scream masculine. Would not approach in Thailand/10

Try naming feminine things about her.

what are some cool cards with effects that activate and trigger while in the graveyard?

>And the cheeks scream masculine.
Cheekbones aren't feminine.
>Try naming feminine things about her
Well, to snark a bit, there's her distinct lack of an Adam's apple for one.

Mono red tokens? You want purphoros my bro, not sure he's right for you? Here's an aptitude test.

On a scale from 1-10 how hard does your dick get from the idea of casting hordling outburst and dealing 6 damage?

I'd say that she has a small one or a very toned neck. It's not necessarily masculine, but it certainly isn't feminine either.

>She functions a lot better if you treat everything after her Keywords as flavor text and deck her out with equipmemt

Then why not run Fabio as the general?

Her eyes are the giveaway

whats the most interesting doomsday pile you've ever seen?

Fabio doesn't have double strike

Yeah but the 8 power man.

Yea I mean the one that flips, Archangel Avacyn.