Share your thoughts and storytimes.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JrhZPLpgWbg
louisville.edu/armyrotc/files/Galula David - Counterinsurgency Warfare.pdf
louisville.edu/armyrotc/files/Roger Trinquier - Modern Warfare.pdf
louisville.edu/armyrotc/files/FM 3-24 Counterinsurgency.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=0LHAPyxPM30
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Hey I'm evil. You guy should know better than sleeping with an evil guy on watch duty. It's really your fault that I killed everyone in their sleep.

That's not evil, that's stupid

CHAOTIC STUPID GET OUT, REEEEEEEE!

I prefer to just not do evil campaigns. Nobody except insane people do evil things just for the sake of being evil. Everyone is the hero of their own story, and even when they're not they still always have a justification for what they're doing that makes it feel "OK" to them, even if it's something as base as survival.

In terms of fantasy there is evil tho like Sacrificing people too a dark god is evil regardless of your reasons for doing it

We played a campaign of slavers and basically the campaign revolved around the business and transporting the goods. We weren't characatures and didn't do stuff to needlessly damage merchandise, but we also were opportunistic in clasping irons on convenient targets and skirted around the law in some regions.

After doing some trades with unscrupulous hags whom we just ignored the fact that they probably weren't interested in our products for their labor, we found out that Efreet apparently love slaves, and we invested heavily in establishing trade with the plane of fire. We called an Efreet and brought a bunch of quality slaves to present what we could provide. He offered wishes, but we pushed for a more long term arrangement. We lucked out because the Efreeti turned out to be one of their nobles.

What if you're saving even more people?

We were working for some corporate fuck who turns out to exploiting some jungle for oil and other random shit. That other random shit turned out to human experimentation on this ancient tribes of amazons.

Long story short half way in between the corporate guy fucks us over and the amazons were no better.

I guess this sort of qualifies.

That is basically what the Aztecs were doing, they believed that unless the gods were apeased with sacrifices they would destroy the world.

Jedi hunter game
>Characters are Imperial Agents charged with hunting, and destroying the remaining Jedi Knights.
>Party consists of a Emperor's Hand, Imperial agent, Elite Storm Trooper, and two other characters I can't remember.
>The Emperor's Hand was loaded, something about being Palpatine's niece.

It was a pretty fun game. The party didn't act outwardly evil. Sometimes they even expressed concern for the well being of Imperial citizens.

I just want a band of harmless villains doing silly, mildly rude or evil things like stealing candy from babies or sitting on wet grass. Long-winded plots and amazing but useless contraptions. Heroes who barely notice them.

They love eachother, but despise the world. They long to get their revenge, but not so much as it would hurt anyone. Shenanigans ensue.

My group played one years ago, d&d 3.5. For the most part, it went a lot like a normal adventuring party (besides dropping all pretense of doing good and just being in it for the money), but beisdes all the normal dungeoneering and hunting bandits and stuff, we all had our own goals in the hub city, first taking over the underworld and the seedier parts of town, to later just take over completely.

It went quite well, altough party conflict/betrayal was an occasional thing, we kept it mostly nonleathal untill the end, where we basically went to war with eachother.

We had kinda the opposite, because our GM is a dick.
AoR party containing an ISB agent, an Imperial Intelligence officer, a Storm Commando and a CompForce officer. All undercover and unknowing of the others.

Unsurprisingly we botched most missions, except one occurence where the CompForce guy killed the rebel commander that the ISB guy had secretely put on the Empire's payroll, and where we were congratulated on rooting out imperial spies when security discovered a stack of imperial creds on the corpse.
It became annoying quickly, but as soon as we discovered each other's true identity it became a fun game of infiltration and sabotage (though the ISB guy was KIA in unclear circumstances after being left with the Intelligence agent).

The only happy member of the team was the Bith pilot, because everyone was very nice to her in order not to blow their cover.

I'd say evil parties aren't more prone to catastrophic infighting than neutral or even good ones, as long as everyone has a common goal (like serving some evil tyrant or invocating some dark god). That way you'll get some backstabbing but nothing gamebreaking if your player's egos aren't off the charts.
I've seen Paladins and CG rangers try to kill each other too.

I've got a (currently on hiatus) evil campaign going in 4e that's gone pretty excellent so far.

Basic gist is that 1000 years ago, the Dark Lords almost took over the world, only to be stopped by the Seven Heroes, an assorted motley band of races & classes, obviously lead by a human. They were sealed away, but now, an adventuring party has accidentally released them, and they're starting their world conquest again. As is apparent, it's as generic a fantasy setting as I could make it, with the main twist being in the fact that the PCs are playing as said immortal dark lords.

I mostly wanted to do something like that since it seemed that a lot of evil campaigns revolved around being being minions or murderhobos, and personally, I *really* like world conquest. That, and I've run and played in so many campaigns with out there or gimicky settings that I just wanted to use a basic fantasy one for once.

I'd say the main reason we've avoided the usual pitfalls of an evil campaign is that A) everyone has a common goal to work towards over the whole campaign, and B) none of the player characters can permanently die, so betraying each other is mostly pointless (though they were still under threat of being re-sealed away by the heroes, something not currently within the PC's power to do), and C) every character brings something to the table, with the human, yuan-ti and half-orc being their best chances to recruit their respective races, the spirit having incredibly useful possession powers, and the other human being a very loyal minion.

At the point of pause the PCs had retaken their fortress of old, recruited the Not!Night's Watch as the start of their army, and have joined up with one of the four Yuan-Ti great houses to get them on side (which will require conquering/recruiting the other three). It's going pretty damn well.

But user, we are the bad guys. That's what we do.

Yes, but those bad guys are either unsuccessful or successfull through sheer luck and plot armor thicker than yo mama

>Basic gist is that 1000 years ago, the Dark Lords almost took over the world, only to be stopped by the Seven Heroes, an assorted motley band of races & classes, obviously lead by a human. They were sealed away, but now, an adventuring party has accidentally released them, and they're starting their world conquest again. As is apparent, it's as generic a fantasy setting as I could make it, with the main twist being in the fact that the PCs are playing as said immortal dark lords.
Isn't that the plot of Overlord?

>Evil Campaigns

They're shit.

>"B-but I read this really cool storytime on Veeky Forums where-"

They're SHIT.

youtube.com/watch?v=JrhZPLpgWbg

This.
An evil game session or two is a fine way to spend the night, but you'd be better off with Paranoia.
Evil campaigns are garbage.

The two kings sign a peace treaty after a hundred years of war. Nobody takes any notice. A lot of the men haven't any homes to go to. Some have been fighting over 20 years. They may have captured a castle and living as lords, why should they want to go home?

A new kind of captain emerges. Many styling themselves as knights, whether they have been knighted or not. They form free companies, fighting neither for lord, nor god, but for themselves. They become bands of robbers at a nightmarish scale. Some companies are 6,000-strong.

Eventually, they descend on the residence of god's representative on Earth. They threaten to attack him unless he hands over a "spiritually uplifting sum of money" pardons for all the sins committed included in the package.

Spoony is shit.

My group doesn't have the attention span to make it more than one or two sessions.

Pretty much, except the heroes are actually heroes. Nothing wrong with keeping things simple, IMO.

To each their own - personally I think you've just got to have the right players for it.

I've currently got a Savage Worlds Supers campaign that is shaping up to be an Evil campaign. I set up the game with a series of factions that the party could choose to join, which would get them involved in a faction war that's the main premise of the setting. They ended up not finding any of the factions favorable however, and ended up souring relations with them early on.

So instead, a gave them a new plot hook to join with an evil illuminati brotherhood that's trying to manipulate the war and other factions for their own selfish benefit from the shadows. Almost all of the party jumped on the opportunity.

>m-muh badwrongfun

>personally I think you've just got to have the right players for it.
This. I've got a player in my group who thinks that evil campaigns are impossible because everyone would just be pointlessly dickish. But that's because his interpretation of evil is being pointlessly dickish, as every villain he makes for campaigns he GMs or evil PC he makes to play in a game is just "for teh evulz". Meanwhile I have a couple of other players who love the idea of making evil/villainous characters, but tend to play them up as being flawed heroes from their own perspective.

The magnificent evil 7.

so long the DM lets you do cool stuff with it, go for it

>But that's because his interpretation of evil is being pointlessly dickish
Because that is how a lot of player interpret evil to be. An evil campaign often degenarates in "eviler than thou" one simple because everyones spend most of the time being dicks for little pratical purpose, constantly trying to up the evil actions of each other.

Yes, hence why you just got to have to right players for it as other user suggested.

I was thinking about running a dick ass thief campaign, but I don't really know how.
What are some good ways to reward players for fucking each other over constantly?

Playing a campaign where one player is a fiend pact tiefling warlock, one player is an outer gods pact tiefling warlock from devil-land, one player is a wanna-be cultist of a demon lord.

They aren't explicitly evil, this isn't an explicitly evil campaign, but come on.

Kinda hard to run a long-term campaign if the players are *encouraged* to backstab each other - that's like, the number one thing which causes games to fall apart. Even if the party doesn't break IC, players will get pissed off at each other over time, which can cause things to break down at the table.

With that said, if you were doing more of a short game/one shot, it's fairly simple - just have it so that there isn't enough reward to go around. Useful gear, favour of important NPCs, cold hard cash, etc - the players will end up competing for it. Put in things to facilitate it; traps which will only affect one person, guards being satisfied to catch one crook and laying off the pursuit then, resulting testimony deals, etc.

I'd say it's also important to give the game a light enough tone that the players don't generate ill-will towards each other OOC, and to make sure they're all okay with the concept going in. Munchkin's a good place to look for ideas.

Well fortunately this group is pretty chill, so I don't THINK it will result in OoC hurt feelings, which is helpful. And yeah, this would almost inevitably end up being a pretty short game no matter what I do.
Although, if it helps, I was thinking about instating a "no killing other PCs" rule. Letting them die (i.e. "oh, was there a poison arrow trap there? guess i didn't see it, teehee~) is okay, and even facilitating it (hey, sorry to bother you mr. guillotine-happy asshole noble, but i just overheard [other pc] calling you're waifu a slut) would also be fine, they just wouldn't be allowed to run up and shank them personally. Is that a good idea?

This story appealed to both my brain and my dick.

As long as it's implemented sensibly in universe. There shouldn't be just a "you cannot kill each other" rule with no justification in world. Maybe their boss will kick/kill them if he knows for a fact they've killed each other, since that doesn't faciltate profits - that sort of thing.

Does it count if the game didn't start as all evil, but it became like that due to party actions?
Should I also stop at the point my character starts attempting that "redemption" thingy?

Only if it requires amputation. Also contract some monks so collectively pray for the salvation of their souls.

Good one.
Was it evil? It was.
Was teamwork present? It was present.

How do people manage to talk for nearly 20 minutes and still manage to say nothing? What's the secret?

>>CHAOTIC STUPID GET OUT, REEEEEEEE!
THIS. There's evil and then there's dumbass and too many people can't tell the difference.

Last time I told this story I got viciously flamed by like a dozen people in the thread simply for allowing any of this shit to happen. You'll all do the same, but the story is worth telling. This is chapter one
>Evil, Eberron, 3.5
>friend makes character called "The Joker"
>Based on: The Joker
>campaign starts in prison
>I try to talk to his character in the yard so we can maybe have a chance of having a convincingly cohesive party
>He ignores me
>"Sorry man, that's just what my character is like!"
>DM makes a sort of Harley Quinn for him, who offers her help
>Joker kills her shortly after because she was "so annoying" (that was his out of character opinion, said out loud, to the DM about the character the DM graciously made for him)
>Proceeds to kill literally any potentially friendly or useful NPC if they showed him anything less than reverence
>Kills an NPC in the middle of a mutually beneficial conversation with my character

Our discomfort in dealing with his idiotic character leads us to act less with it and more around it, which ended up allowing it to get even worse with the new freedom. The next post will go over his abuses of the chillest guy in the party

>Chill friend made a gnome
>Joker Player hates small things and small races so he proceeds to be a jackass to the gnome all the time
Well he was a jackass to everyone but for the gnome he had an easier to trace reason

>Gets knocked unconscious in a fight
>Joker Player insists that it would be only be realistic for them to coup de grace his character on the spot
>Sleep deprived, eager to please DM kind of just went "oh... yeah I guess" and kills this guy's character in the first or second session
>He rolls up a hulking Tiefling based on Hellboy because fuck it I guess we're all doing comic book shit now
>Tries to play him like a cool badass
>Would have worked fine had Joker not seen fit to work against it
>General douchebaggery comes to a climax when the tiefling falls to asleep effect and Joker, the albino drow, takes the moment to whip out his dick and piss all over his friend's unconscious character, giggling with glee in and out of character

Understand that at the time, these guys were diametrically opposed personalities. The Tiefling player was an incredibly nice and somewhat timid guy. He would never impose any negative feelings or thoughts of his own anyone else, he just wants everyone else to be happy.
Joker's player was a hyper, self centered, and contentious guy. Having been friends with him since high school the dynamic was thus - you had to let him be a dick most of the time because he was so incredibly aggressive if you confronted him on something it would immediately become a hostile argument. I didn't see fit to derail the game in the middle of a session for the sake of calling this guy out in front of two extremely unconfrontational people, and by the time the session ended I just wasn't thinking about it. I'm a fairly patient and complacent and Joker's antics were escalating only at the pace at which we were becoming desensitized to it

>Were broken out of prison to work for some epic level vampires
>Joker talks shit to their face all the while because the DM didn't feel comfortable rebuffing him
>Same went for everyone
>Joker's behavior warranted nothing short of fucking murder, anything short of murder would be as inappropriate as doing nothing, so they did nothing
>I finally confronted him about his bullshit, the pissing on his friend in particular
>After some initial, meek defenses of "if it bothered him he should have said something!" he admitted it was fucked up and told me that he's just trying to play his character and our characters need to stand up for ourselves for him not to do that
>I'm like no, that's just forcing us into a position that would realistically end in us mudering joker. Just stop fucking with the party
>He sheepishly apologizes for Joker's general antics and, while promising to tone it down, asked us to stand up to him more
>To keep it from being to good of an act he tells everyone that I "got really mad" over him pissing all over our friend
>To be fair I was, but he didn't know that. I was extremely calm and diplomatic with him or else he would have never acknowledged fault and we would have just fought instead
That was another issue: This guy was a hot blooded motherfucker. If we got in a fight between sessions it would make the next session incredibly awkward.

But Joker did improve. Through sheer virtue of NOT bullying the party. The character did also sort of calm down over time. But he certainly wasn't done

You should have fucking punched him IRL and thrown him out of the room already.

>Our vampire overlords, who broke us out of prison for the purpose of putting us to work, continued to allow Joker to mouth off and do whatever the fuck he wanted, because the player had a stronger personality than the DM
>He demands to be payed, because he isn't a slave. So they start paying him.
>He demands to be free of the contract, because he wasn't a slave. So they free us all.
>It wasn't enough, it wasn't what he really wanted, so he hatches a plan to topple the fucking kingdom instead
>Starts making plans and preparations
>Once plans are already in motion he makes sure to stop and ask us if we're okay with him doing this
>Why wouldn't we be okay with trashing everything DM had prepared and abandoning the comfiest paying gig that an adventurer could hope for for no reason other than that the situation was offensive to Joker?
I'll say here that Joker's ONLY morals revolved around an aversion to slavery. Funnily enough, when his morals came into play it was to be even more disruptive than usual.

Next post will describe what went down, it was actually pretty cool.

Some people are Ramblers,Gamblers, and even some Back-biters but sooner or later God's gonna cut em down

>So Joker sneaks into a major royal festival and spikes the wine with werewolf blood
>Werewolf outbreak apocalypse ensues while we hijack the best royal airship and casually watch the carnage from a safe vertical distance
>As the screams of innocents ring through the air to herald the fall of the greatest city in the land, centuries of progress burning to the ground to answer for a serial killer's pride, he asks us one more time if we're okay with it
>Bemusedly contemplate what would happen if someone said "no"
>DM, in a last ditch effort to preserve the original role of badass/eventual opponent of the vampire lords, he describes one valiantly fending off werewolves at the steps of his keep
>Joker, in his continuing vendetta at all efforts of the DM to do anything cool with his characters, decides to interrupt it with a rain of magical bombs stored on the ship
>Rolls well, because he's a dex based shadow blade spiked chain user
>DM can't justify letting the vampire continue his stand, announces his incredibly fleshed out, plot significant NPC with composition book upon composition book of story left to tell to be fallen.
I don't know if we took some measures to make sure it would be an actually dead vampire or if it was just a collective ignorance of the fact that vampires don't really die under anything outside of certain specific circumstances but the vampires were no more.

Now while I have worded this all negatively. It was actually a pretty cool affair, especially in retrospect. This is the kind of thing we want to happen in campaigns, it's where the real stories are. It's just said knowing what it came from and what it was about. It was about this guy being selfish, domineering, and disruptive. The outcome just happened to be the highlight of the game

My Black Crusade group consists almost entirely of people the Imperium stepped on, and instead of quietly getting stepped on, they turned to the other major human power in the galaxy.

One character's family was slaughtered by the Imperial Guard for being infected by Nurgle Cultist. She recently drowned a commissar in a vat of raw sewage at the epicenter of a ritual meant to offer up an entire world to the same disease that took her family.

Evil, but if you had followed her the whole way, you'd understand why it happened. Hell, you'd probably root for her.

I guess that's the root of good Evil campaigns. Give your characters a reason to do anything, and have them respond with the worst possible thing.

Fast Forward
>Everyone has gone through two or three characters
>Except Joker
>In the wake of Joker's ambition we find ourselves the leaders of the most powerful criminal organization in the land, founded by the Joker
>Joker unironically and successfully sought to become a vampire
>He now has 42 ac and +a gorillion to all his saves
>As his character's power increased, the player's life happened to have improved a little
>Kid was in a better mood, more mature, good natured, and self aware
Might have been because he started smoking weed
>Joker's "lol randumb" antics have all but ceased entirely, his sheer power and responsibility in the setting have made him a more practical and collected character
>New characters all have a good chemistry with the Joker
>Things are going pretty good for everyone but the DM, who struggles to keep up with our absurd power level
>In a final act of irony, Joker player decides it's not actually that fun having the amount of power yielded by his voracious ambition and suggests that we all start over with level 1 characters again
>For once we all agree in honesty, and roll new characters
>Still evil
>Still eberron
>Same timeline
>Premise of the campaign: Working for our old characters
And that has been... Surprisingly chill. Guy has only pissed me off like once

If this happened, I hope you are no longer friends with this person. Nobody can tell me someone who acts like that is actually a "good person" except for "they are just like that in game", because every time I have met someone who acted like this they were an asshole through and through. They just contained it better in real life, because the threat of physical violence, arrest, or lawsuits kept them in check.

"How do we know that this is a teleporter and not a disintegrator?"
"The 6 year old girl said she had a good feeling about it."
"The 6 year old girl who's dumb enough that she believed that you were a good guy even though you slaughtered her parents in front of her?"
"user stop being a dick and just go into the god damn teleporter maze"

He was a dick at the time and I had definitely gotten pretty sick of him at points but none of it was necessarily an unseen side of him. I'll have known him for almost eight years now, I know his best and worst for the most part. What I just described to you is his worst and it doesn't really manifest anymore. He was just thoughtless and childish, none of it came from ill intent. If it had it would have been easier to address. He actually gravitates towards being a pretty nice guy, and although he seldom impresses me on a moral basis he's one of my two best friends. His niceness outpaces his dickery, which are both outpaced by his guilt from the latter.

I've been trying to put together an AoR adventure where the party are all Imperial Stormtroopers about a year or two after Revenge of the Sith, being posted on a war ravaged Naboo and getting caught up in a political scheme to ignite a race war between humans and gungans so the Empire can annex their undersea homes to mine their plasma.

Since they've never played an evil campaign before but are interested in it, I figured I'd start them off against people who it is definitly completelty evil to conquer and tyrannize, but are annoying enough that they won't really care.

I wouldn't call us straight up evil but we play a band of monsterous races rebelling against a bigoted and corrupt society of the "normal" civilized races.

Admittedly, it's more of an angry backlash against the humans who've hurt us and motivation to make a city where monsters can live in peace, but a few of us are legitimately a tad evil while the others are more for fighting against injustices.

How do people manage to watch something for nearly 20 minutes and still not comprehend anything? What's the secret?

imperial campaigns sound fun until you realize they're all basically space Iraq
>wow i can't belive we have all these kick ass guns and armor
>TIE fighters too? WOW
>[IED spam intensifies]
>[suicidal last stand diversions intensify]
fucking rebels

Would you run one differently?

i would run space TOP GUN
>rebel fleet has entered the sector
>FLYYY INTOOOO THE DANGER ZONE
>[TIE screeching intensifies]

COIN campaigns are a ton of fun and provide great roleplaying opportunities.

louisville.edu/armyrotc/files/Galula David - Counterinsurgency Warfare.pdf
louisville.edu/armyrotc/files/Roger Trinquier - Modern Warfare.pdf
louisville.edu/armyrotc/files/FM 3-24 Counterinsurgency.pdf

I'm kind of wary of putting my players into TIE Fighters to be honest. They get blown up so easily.

what are AoR stats on TIEs?

0 Defense on fore and aft, an Armor of 2, and a Hit Threshold of 6.

He's obviously had bad experiences with evil characters in his games.

He hits on some good points about how it's important for the group to stay coherent and for the "evil" characters to have a motivation not to just fly off the handle all of the time, but he's so worried about this subject that it's ridiculous.

I snuck this guy into my GM's ancient mythos world campaign in the form of a (not)-Egyptian wizard who specializes in summoning magic and has an affinity for using spell scrolls. He also doesn't like the Pharaoh back home, nor how magic is traditionally handled in his homeland.

Gonna take Leadership next level and nab myself an underling and call him Orion.

He's Chaotic Neutral right now. I will be on the look-out for a good, solid reason to flip alignment down to Evil, at which point WE GON' HAVE SOME FINE-ASS MADNESS.
youtube.com/watch?v=0LHAPyxPM30

damn son. sounds fun for a one off beer and pretzels attrition game

Card games aside... godspeed, user, you slick son of a bitch.

This post raises an interesting question:
Changing your alignment to or from evil. What justifies it?

It takes around 15 seconds for him to get his point across ("Don't fucking do it"), and the rest of the video is him repeating "I'm serious, don't fucking do it." The latter part is the "saying nothing" part.

My entire group is incapable of not playing an evil campaign. They (and myself, admittedly) are able to last about a session or two before nose-diving into morally questionable and then into outright evil.
Dark Heresy lasted four sessions before they turned to chaos. Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay went two sessions before they beat and stabbed a retarded man to death and then smashing a barmaid over the head with a bottle during the funeral. Pathfinder went two hours before they decided to genocide the humans and joined the bad guy.
Curiously they seem to change their morality to do the exact opposite of what my character is doing (or if I am GM) what I want them to do. If my character is morally grey they play paragons of virtue, and if I play a paragon of virtue they suddenly turn into characters from Game of Thrones.

Evil campaigns only work if you have two things happen
All the player sit down and define how evil they are supposed to be and how far is to far and if they step over the line the game ends, congratulations dickhead you ruined it for everyone
All characters have something that connects them as a group and will not betray each other if a PC kills another PC then congratulations dickhead you ruined it for everyone

In my experience that is the only way for an Evil campaign to work, it needs set goals, cooperation and understanding between the players and if anyone breaks the rules that's it game ends period, no break, no asking the player who fucked up to leave, the game just ends done over period

If everyone is okay with that and acts like mature and responsible adults as they burn down an orphanage then evil games can turn out just fine it's just the set up to the campaign that can kill it before it starts

Find this book. It does miracles.
AEG8501 - Evil.pdf

>thoughts

1) If you're running a long-term evil campaign, you really, really need a way for players to revive on the cheap, since backstabbing and betrayal are half the fun. However, any enemies still need to be a credible threat, and losing against them should be far more dangerous than losing to another player.

2) The party needs a reason to stay together that outweighs their characters' tendency to backstab. Orders from a higher authority, teamwork allowing for bigger heists, or just past experience as a traveling party that gradually accepted greater atrocities for profit, stuff like that.

Quickest and easiest way to fulfill both requirements: the party is a group of recently raised intelligent undead with the ability to self-reanimate if they weren't killed in a specific way, such as vampires, skeleton champions with the bloodied subtype, that sort of thing. They're either working for the necromancer who raised them, have recently rebelled against the necro and have ambitions to start a new kingdom of undead, or are the servants of a newly ascended god trying to claim a corner of the world for itself.

I ran a short evil campaign where the party all worked for one big, godlike evil guy. He was incredibly powerful- but he was also a lazy asshole, so he just had his "big, steaming pile of number 2" (all of his second in commands a la Starscream/Soundwave, except there were 3 starscreams and 1 Soundwave) go deal with his problems. Time restraints and shitty scheduling meant that I only got them through like three towns before it had to end.

I co-dm'd it with a friend, and all we really had were skeletons of what a town has and what the plot would be, and we made up the rest of the shit on the fly.

Hmm, when you put it in those terms, the Imperial Stormtrooper campaign talked about in earlier in this thread sounds like it could really work. You can quickly replace any lost characters with just another member of the Imperial army, and the party is held together by their military objectives and encouraged not to betray each other by threat of court martial.

So what do you guys think of the offical evil campaign? Has anyone here played it?

Sometimes Reynold's art physically hurts to look at

Yeah, large military groups like that are good for evil campaigns. All you need is an evil king who thinks cowing the enemy's civilians is the fastest way to conquer them, or an officer with his own agenda, all kinds of options, and of course fallen team mates can be replaced by transferring in new ones.

Personally, I think the best part of an evil campaign is when players get to be the proactive force for once. Normally, they're just reacting to everything the BBEG does and rushing to stop whatever evil plan they're up to, but in this case they're the ones with the plan and the heroes are reacting to stop them.

Playing it now, though we're not that far in. While it's not BAD, it requires the GM or PCs to improvise some of their own fun. The player's guide has some really solid advice on playing an evil PC without ruining everyone else's game.

Reynolds earlier work was much better.

Are there any other evil adventures published by first party companies?

bump

Well, there's basically...everything for Black Crusade. For some reason that never really comes to mind first when I think of evil campaigns, though.

Best evil campaigns are the lawful evil characters doing good things simply to gain more power, IE saving the princess in order to marry her and become king then declaring war on any nation that attacks even just a small town in order to achieve even more land.

It's worse when your party does and actively wants to but your DM doesn't

>Scene literally was only made for the trailer
>Makes no sense in the context of everything else going on
>Guy is just absolutely baffled at this for some reason
Thanks for reminding me how fucking awful this was.

Logistics Simulator: Edgelord Edition

>"You're rushing away from the guards,losing them as you duck behind a home, however as you stealthfully leave the village you see a small home by the stables close by, and a man staring at you through a window, and calling out to the guards."
>"I shoot an arrow at him."
>Hit
>"You strike the man in the head, he falls to the ground dead. Suddenly, you hear a woman scream out 'You've shot my husband! Guards!'"
>"I shoot an arrow through the window"
>Massive success
>"You hear the thump as a body falls to the floor."
>"Suddenly you hear a baby crying out."
>"I fire another shot through the window."
>A fucking crit.
>"...That it?"
>"Suddenly you hear a dog howling."

>Joker's player was a hyper, self centered, and contentious guy. Having been friends with him since high school the dynamic was thus - you had to let him be a dick most of the time because he was so incredibly aggressive if you confronted him on something it would immediately become a hostile argument. I didn't see fit to derail the game in the middle of a session for the sake of calling this guy out in front of two extremely unconfrontational people, and by the time the session ended I just wasn't thinking about it. I'm a fairly patient and complacent and Joker's antics were escalating only at the pace at which we were becoming desensitized to it

Why is this guy at your table?

Define "evil".

But more seriously villain campaigns can work. It just depends on what your playing and of course the players. People here unfortunately think that being evil means acting like a dick and backstab everyone.

>Trying to run a game,evil session for shits and giggles, but cousin, whose actually fun to have at the game just goes "oh yeah, co-workers coming over, can he play?" last minute before we do.
>Might be cool, his other co-worker was fucking great fun.
>Then the rape
>Guy that literally is just constantly going "I want to rape it" "We should rape them" "Roll to rape" Non-Fucking-Stop, in a 'joking way'. Even when not playing the game keeps at it.
>Cousin has the face of a man who just made a huge mistake
Like, not even 'jokes' by the end, god dammit it was so fucking ...just, holy shit. I think he might have genuinely been into it.

I had considered doing one where the group is a set of evildoers hauled out of the setting's hell because their skills are desirable to a devil. Their reward is a chance at reincarnation, or if they do well enough, a place at the infernal table.
Refusing means the regular tortures until they lose their identity and turn into lemures as usual, so one of the requirements would obviously be a character who's not too proud to work for the devil- for now.
Teammates planning on backstabbing one another or their employer will be reminded that the infernal hierarchy rewards traitors as they deserve, and that includes fleeing.
Is there anything I need to state up front (besides giving the group a clear goal)?

I mean, this is, more or less a logical series of events if you're already being pursued by the law. If there are any potential witnesses, there will be a chain of witnesses most of the time. This is why it's so important to not get caught in the first place.

Admitedly a tangent, but I want to make my character evil. Now the premise when I made him was basically "chaotic good sword mage from bum-fuck nowhere who wants to purge the world of all evil". What I'm trying to do right now is start going evil by justifying everything by saying "it's for the greater good". Which is kinda easy with our campaign since our ultimate goal is to stop the evil aberrant dudes (eldritch horrors type shit). They're a penultimate evil so it isn't (at least to me OOC) that weird to have a chaotic good type person start pushing for thinking only of the greater good in stopping the aberrants.

It's D&D 4e, I've got more details if y'all need them.

When it's for your ultimate goal, always take the way with the highest chance of success, no matter what that entails.
For example, say there's a cult of powerful evil wizards who are trying to summon eldritch horrors by sacrificing seven children on the full moon or something. One way to stop it would be to confront the cult directly, but you might fuck it up and die, letting them finish their ritual and fucking the whole world. Or you could pop an arrow in the kids' heads, which won't be hard at all, and will almost definitely stop the ritual.
Stuff like that.

Eh, I'd disagree because while in your situation I'd try to murder the cult. No matter how useful they'd be to the party as allies or similar, I'd try to murder them since stopping an eldritch horror and saving a bunch of kids at the same time would result in more good than killing the kids. A lot of this is because my reasoning is that the "evil" cultists could just get more kids. So kill the cultists at minimum and if the kids die it's just collateral damage (as I move towards evil that is, normally it'd be kill the cultists only).

>the "evil" cultists could just get more kids
They could, but now you've got an extra month to stop them.

Yeah, but I'd rather murder them (the cultists) right then and there. Assuming I have that option. Now assuming I couldn't get to the cultists right then and there (or at least within whatever time limit has been set), yeah I'd kill the kids (as part of my trip down the path of evil via "greater good") to buy time until I can kill the cultists.

All for the "greater good" by stopping the evil cultists.

I'm really hoping for good RP moments coming because we're about to grab the Book of Exalted Deeds. Like I said, it's a homebrew. At least, to the best of my knowledge it isn't a published campaign, but I don't know a lot about D&D campaigns.

It's set in Eberron but involves gods such as Erathis and the Raven Queen (plus others that aren't canon to Eberron).