I want to have roads and train tracks in space

how do i intelligently pull it off?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interplanetary_Transport_Network
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Just do it I guess

There's this one anime that I forget the name of that was all about that.

magnetic railgun like system?

You may want to look up the interplanetary transport network. That's as close as you can reasonably come.

Aside from that, if you want the visuals, a wizard did it, or your metaphysics are vastly different. Basically, run the setting you want, and then hope for the best.

I mean, it's not like you are melting little boys down into lugnuts or something.

Ever play Freelancer?

yeah i was thinking of a transport network with some supreme holographic solid light roads or something at first, but idk

Radiation

Matter

Humans

Those are the greatest obstacles to making your dream come true.

Radiation kills most life, especially if the rads are really high

From microscopic really sharp dust to space debris and meteors and asteroids and other matter floating in space can destroy pretty much anything in their path, depending on their mass of course

And people are obviously explained

nope. i just want my space truckers to drive on space roads

4got picrelated.

I want to discourage this direction of thinking, and re-route it into something more productive.

What do you WANT this for? Do you want players to run from planet to planet with fixed paths? Do you want to establish a line between "civilized" and "frontier" that you can exploit and utilize? Do you want a giant fuck-huge train whose steam is a nebula, whose wheels spin like moons, and whose cargo is the breath of a thousand worlds, as a nifty setting?

Each of those three, or the thousands of other things you can do with roads and train tracks IN SPACE!!!! have different requirements for doing them intelligently. So, what the fuck are you doing?

>how do i intelligently pull it off?
Play Skyroads until the urge goes away.

The longer I look at this picture the more amazing it gets.

There was a minor science fiction novel, possibly a series, based on this. The trains didn't actually run through space, though, it was more through a kind of subspace that they built tunnels through, so you'd go down to the train station, hop on a train, and when you got back off you were on some other planet.
Damn, I'm going to wonder what the name of that was all night now.

do it in the style of weird anime like space dandy aka just do whatever the fuck

Sounds like the commonwealth saga.

I looked up "trains in space anime" and I got Galaxy Express 999, so that was probably it.

Designated driving areas & lanes so things stop ramming each other.

FTL is achieved via stargate like structures.
However there is a limit to the distance each you can travel per 'anchor gate' and the gates must also be placed on sufficiently large gravity wells to function. As a result chains of these gates are built on planets and asteroids with conventional roads/rails connecting them.

Night on the Galactic Railroad?

>You may want to look up the interplanetary transport network. That's as close as you can reasonably come.

This, combined with cycler orbit stations, would give you space trains. The trains are the stations in cycler orbits; hook up to them and ride them to your destination without needing to pack an efficient interplanetary drive or lots of life support.
Independent long-haul cargo deliveries would run on the transport network, using minimum-energy transfers or minimum-time transfers, depending on how urgent their cargo is.

Came to mention this too, sure it is just trains through interstellar wormhole things but it's the closest thing to space trains I could think of.

doo you want to have actual physical roadways and traintracks in space, or dou you want to have "highways" of space traffic or objects travelling the stars at a predetermined path?

The first is physically imposible with hard science because everything is revolving and spinning around something else usually at different rates. So sooner or later, eartth and mars would be so far apart that your "Earth-Mars railroad"would have to cut through the sun.

If you want metaphorical railroads however, look up Aldrin Cyclers. For something a little faster, you coould have large ships powered by beamed power from earth (so no course deviations, or you can't catch the energy) ferrying cargo or people.
For highways, you can have similar beamed power setups lauch smaller craft towards another planet (with something similar there to "catch"them), with very little ability to manouever when in flight, or something similar with tethers. You can even construct a big coilgun as a mass driver to shoot people from planet to planet.

Anything is possible if your science is soft enough!

Lasers sails or this.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interplanetary_Transport_Network

Subspace highways. By activating the Subcruise engines, your craft exists only partially in the third dimension and is drawn into streams of graviton exchange between sizeable stellar bodies. These normally-invisible tendrils become observable with the naked eye as elongated black planes dotted by occasional yellow streaks of more exotic particles when in shifted into subspace.