MtG Modern General

--$.$.$-- COMPETITIVE MODERN GENERAL --$.$.$--

This is the Modern thread, didn't see one up. No meme decks, no custom cards, no pricing discussion, just great discussion about the best Magic format.

>What deck do you want to build for 2017?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/12-12-16-mono-green-devotion/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/13-08-16-EhT-tooth-and-nail/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/20-11-16-monogreen-devotion/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I wanna make Heart of Kiran work in Modern. What are some key cards to realize that?

Why would I build a different deck? I have the perfect deck built.

Just going to get better with kaladesh.

Just built Eldrazi and Taxes, am I in for a fun time?

It's my first modern deck, standard has finally forced me out of the format after two solid years of bad releases

Bant Eldrazi is about 1000x better. But Eldrazi and taxes is fine. It seems like an incredibly braindead deck that might get boring quickly, but if you like it good on you. Did you playtest other decks before you chose this one?

I think you mean bant eldrazi is the braindead one

They're both braindead, but one is actually good and braindead.

What are the chances of stone forge getting unbanned? I'm thinking of picking up a playset while they're cheap.

Threw Grixis Delver back together and god damn this deck is fun

I honestly forgot why I even moved onto Grixis Control in the first place

What's everybody rolling with right now for the current meta, any super secret tech out there?

Why shouldn't I just play Legacy?

It's a dying format that will never recover unless Wizards finally excludes reserved list cards from it

Eldrazi is cheap, but people will hate you. Delver is probably the best deck and looks like the most fun (in my personal opinion), but is pretty darn expensive. What type of deck are you looking for?

I read that as what should i play in legacy. My bad.

tibalt

The real question is why shouldn't everyone just play Frontier, it's already better than modern ever was.

>The real question is why shouldn't everyone just play Frontier
Because we've already played through Khans of Tarkir standard once and we don't want to do it again.

4 Colored Decks: The Format is not any fun dude

Here is your (you).

I'd rather play against infect than siege rhino + collected company midrange hell.

>The real question is why shouldn't everyone just play Frontier
Once it gets it's head out of it's ass with a banlist it has potential, fetches need to be at the top of the list since there's nothing to hate all the super greedy manabases. Everything is just 4 colored goodstuff the format and that's boring as fuck.

>Perfect
>Dies to burn and stony silence

I get that your instinct is to write me off as a troll so you can keep what little confidence you have in your chosen format, but buddy your days are numbered. Modern has proven to be a huge source of grievance for WOTC and they obviously no longer want to push it as a premier format.

Standard has not existed as the sole competitive since basically its creation as type 2. Old extended ( the multiple year one), regular extended (double standard), and modern have all come and gone as the Standard compliment. Soon, very soon, Frontier will get its chance and I would bet good money it will be more successful than modern was. Mostly because of the NWO changes and the fact it won't be burdened by huge mistakes like affinity, dredge, tarmogoyf, and powerful combo finishers(scapeshift, goryo's vengeance etc.).

>implying modern is the only format I play

I play modern, EDH and legacy actually.

For now frontier is going to be basically the khans standard which was pretty boring and since wizards keeps pushing midrange I doubt much will change. Not that modern is in a better state right now, but I prefer a fast format to a slugfest where everyone casts collected company to be honest.

>it won't be burdened by huge mistakes like affinity, dredge, tarmogoyf, and powerful combo finishers
Delve, fetchlands, dual lands, Siege Rhino, Company.

>delve
Perfectly fine without one mana cantrips like Gitaxian probe, serum visions and other powerful one mana spells like thoughtseize, path, and lightning bolt.

>fetchlands
Also fine without good duals. Tango lands are no where near shock land power level.

>siege rhino, company
Good cards that will see play but four mana value spells are not a problem when red decks present lethal before they matter.

>it won't be burdened by huge mistakes like affinity, dredge, tarmogoyf, and powerful combo finishers(scapeshift, goryo's vengeance etc.).
you can still play combo. it's fun.

thats an older build. wall of resurgence is better than 3 dispel 1 tormenting voice.

I dunno, Naya zoo with it? A fully active Wild Nacatl will crew it. Tibalt is an option , too.

But I would go for cheap zoo- like creatures that are good enough on their own, but can also crew stuff like HoK or looted scooter.

I haven't lost to burn in months broseph. Stony Silence eats a nice abrupt Decay.

The huge problem with Heart of Kiran is why the fuck aren't you just swinging with your 3 power of creatures and playing other cards instead?

>Competitive Modern

Seriously though, point me to the uncompetitive modern.

I mean the fact that it's 4/4 flying for 2 is kind of nice. I doubt it will see much play tho.

Maybe t1 nacatl into t2 heart and then turn 3 swing for 4? but then again you could just play zooicide and swing for lethal by turn 3/4.

>have naya burn and dredge built
>don't know what to build next
I've tried Bant Spirits, Jund, Abzan, Infect, Grixis/Jeskai Control, Delver and some meme decks but I want a deck that's not aggro and I can't seem to find one. You guys have any suggestions?

G/W tron, G/R Tron, valakut, jeskai nahiri control, lantern control?

>it's 4/4 flying for 2
No, it's a 1/4 flier for 2 because you aren't swinging with the 3 power. Copter is a 2/3 flier for 2 with an upside; there's a big difference.

Affinity or eternal command

I guess if you put it that way it's kind of mediocre.

I should have specified I don't like tron and I've tried Nahiri. Valakut and Lantern don't seem like they're up my alley at all. I should mention that I'm not particularly fond of combo.

>Frontier
>RDW killing on turn 3
>Not getting utterly crushed by Rhino
Kek

No, you did mention that you tried nahiri I just overread that part, my bad.

Well, what exactly would you enjoy? There really isn't a lot you can try anymore, what about U/B faerie control?

>Delve is fine because we can't play anything good for four turns!
Lmao
Can't make this shit up

>shock with scry 2

would anyone play it?

BW tokens?

so wait

R - deal 2 damage to target creature or player, scry 2

i feel like you're not seriously asking if anyone would play this card in every deck that can fit red mana into it

Magma jet? It's decent

That already kind of exist in magma jet and it does not see play at all, maybe if it were one mana cheaper it would but eh. Lightning bolt is just the best.

Wizards doesn't want to print good burn spells anymore anyways so it will likely stay the best.

Well some things I liked about the decks I tried were snapcaster loops with kcommand and eternal witness loops in eternal command. I also like some amount of hand disruption, but not full 8rack style rape your hand and I when I'm not playing aggro I like grindy attrition games.

Why not keep playing jund then? or grixis delver? I mean you could try sultai delver also.

What killed Eternal Command was Abrupt Decay.

This post cracks me up. People are already warping your 'combofree' format with Aetherworks Marvel - the card that single-handedley ruined Standard.

recently built esper tezz control. I've had limited testing with it in my very small local meta, but it seems legit.

>No meme decks

Just try and stop me

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/blue-iso/

R8/h8, pls no b8

dtt..... i have some bad news for you

>>What deck do you want to build for 2017?
Going to throw some kind of Esper deck together while also building a R/G CoCo aggro deck on the side for fun

I want to make altar of Saheeli real and not just a ganky combo deck.
More realistically I'll probably build some kind of UR tempo deck like delver.

What's the problem with Elves? I thought it was a really good aggro deck. Did the rise of Dredge just render it strictly worse, or was it never competitive? I'm building monogreen elves and upon looking at mtgtop8, Elves is barely on the charts.
Did I miss a memo, or was Elves always just a meme deck for shitty tribal players like myself?

Literally how does this deck lose?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jund-delver-4/

Answers for everything and efficient threats.

>I want to make altar of Saheeli real and not just a ganky combo deck
The problem is you need Saheeli and 2 other cards. The REAL Saheeli combo involves 2 Saheelis in the yard and playing a Sun Titan. Congratulations, you have infinite Sun Titans with haste.

its a frontier list, friendo. if you bothered to follow the quoted posts you'd have some context.

It loses because 1) aggro decks love it when people Bolt themselves 3 turns running, 2) half of your deck doesn't flip a Delver, and 3) you aren't running Lilly.

im not memeing here but mono green devotion is crazy fun, you can loop cocos and primal commands like crazy, heres my decklist if you wanna look at it
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/12-12-16-mono-green-devotion/

ive beaten decks like, sultai, jeskai flash, affinity, lantern, bant spirits, bant eldrazi, death and taxes and mono red burn

With that mana base you can just replace serum visions with liliana and delver with deaths shadow and play something like suicide jund. :^)

Any chance to see unburial gifts deck viable in 2017?

>half your deck doesn't flip delver
30 instants/sorceries is insane dude. Do you even know how delver decks function?

How? It isn't missing anything. It's just not a good Skelton. What card could be printed that would help the deck?

>Do you even know how delver decks function?
Yeah they generally leverage the efficiency of their threats with cheap permission like Spell Pierce and Mana Leak, then use Lightning Bolt + Snapcaster Mage to give them the reach to finish the game off. Legacy versions have a much easier time flipping Delver and can run Wasteland to hamper their opponent's efforts even harder.

However, what you've done is mix too many sorcery speed spells into the deck, vastly reducing the options you can play at any one time, and you've also gutted the permission side of the deck, making it almost impossible to actually protect your threats.

So don't fucking ask me if I know how Delver works. "Muh Delver deck" isn't as simple as jamming 30+ instants or sorceries into a deck you ignorant fuck.

You've been rused. :^)
But seriously, do you think you're some kind of expert? Lol. I bet you show up to fnm like you're a pro because you top 8ed game day. I want to ask you a legitimate question. Do you actually think you're a good magic player? Because dude. If you do, I feel sorry lol.

Haha lol oh fuck you got me good, my man!

>won't answer the question.
Afraid to bruise the ego my man?
That's fine. facing reality is hard.

>12 creatures
>18 lands
>30 instants
is the classic Canadian Thresh layout

Grixis runs fewer Instants to make room for DRS, though.

I really like this deck, played vs a list that seemed really tight and it blew my mind

Had wandering satyr and garruk and I think another sprawl-type card

had a primal command loop on turn 3, shit is scary

ive locked opponents out for 4 turns in terms of drawing
> i hope you like drawing that shockland for the next 4 turns while i develop a stupid board state,
also turn 2 CoCo
also the deck you played against might have been tooth and nail. built that too
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/13-08-16-EhT-tooth-and-nail/

i like swerve as tech against blue decks and the odd turns or stone rain deck, maybe even burn. i suppose countersquall is usually better but doesn't hit abrupt decay/counterflux and can't get the sweet 2 for 1

I want to build Bogles.

On a scale of 1 to cancer how bad am I?

Just build the deck you want to build.
Don't care about being cancerous, half of the decks in modern are cancer to most people anyway.

Who cares, build what you think is fun.

So do you think wizards gives enough of a shit to ban/unban something or
.?

I'd just like to see no ban list modern for maybe one tournament. See what people come up with and stuff.

people run no ban list Modern tournaments all the time

the results are basically irrelevant though, you need a full and prolonged meta with pros to actually see what a format looks like

mox boarding house runs them pretty much monthly now

Ah, I did not know that, thanks.

How the fuck is Tibalt an option? Please explain to me in what way Tibalt works better than any 3 mana planeswalker?

I don't think it had tooth and nail in it, but aside from t&n (and the emrakul to cheese with it) it's all very similar.

It was very similar to your list, almost identical, but I don't recall seeing burningtrees, so its possible he swapped them with wandering satyrs and just slotted in a couple garruk somewhere (maybe he trimmed down some coco and selkie)
He didnt have overgrowth though, it was a 2cmc copy but I'm guessing he just ran it as sprawl #5 (1 oath, 4 sprawl 1othersprawl?)
I wish I had seen his full decklist, but it was essentially what you're playing.

Not even him but damn you sound mad as fuck

It will have an ever growing card pool...

and Khans of Tarkir is disproportionately powerful compared to the other sets in the block. Khans block doesn't fucking fit in with the rest of m15 onward.

that enchant was probably this card
garruk could definitly have a spot in this deck im just not sure how to tweak the list and such

What level are you guys on?

The one where my mother doesn't get ret-con'd to be a sand nigger for political correctness.

I run U/R prowess deck with x4 Mutagenic Growth.

Is it worth to get atleast one stomping ground in case of more grindier matchups or if i meet burn deck?

Just play jeskai aggro instead, less of a glass cannon deck and you get to play snap helix

I prefer the silly turn 3 memetastic MGD. Like this:
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/20-11-16-monogreen-devotion/

I wish PR had nothing to do with Modern. Because I don't want a world where implementing Frontier is the solution to the problems in Modern even though as you've said, it is the most rational decision to make for all parties involved with minimal damage to the parties involved.

In my ideal world, we would carpet bomb Modern of all the "troublesome" cards and decks. If you want to preserve the monsters in Modern like Affinity and Dredge and Tarmogoyf you can go play Legacy (and we would fucking fix Legacy by making the Reserve List cards available). Then we wouldn't have to fucking bother with Frontier.

To me, Frontier is fucking giving up and an unwillingness to make Modern (and Legacy for those who bought into Modern) good on Wizards' part. Modern is my pet format only because I committed and I want that commitment to mean something - but I know that the sacrifice of players like me will be necessary. When Frontier comes, some number of Modern players will not migrate to Legacy or Frontier, they will just fucking quit. And in the end, nobody will miss us.

I feel there is so much intrinsic value in all the cards printed in Modern outside of the Cliques and Path to Exile. To render them utterly useless like Legacy does or what Frontier would do just pisses me off. I want a deep card pool like Legacy and would be willing to forego having cards like Abrupt Decay removed from Modern to explore that deep card pool. Frontier just won't have any depth without the strict regulation I am advocating for Modern. It's going to be the same shit power-max WITHOUT the depth of the Modern card pool; we'll be trading the cesspit of Modern for a similar situation in Frontier.

That's why I'm not happy about Frontier. It's a distraction that prevents Wizards from officially slaying Legacy to have Modern take its place; and instead we are going to ignore Modern until it dies while Frontier possibly thrives, wasting all that commitment people gave to Modern.

So simple. So perfect. Wins me $40 every week at FNM. Got it foiled out in real life.

Where are your kitties user?

Really don't like them right now. Lots of removal inclusive decks in the format and I aim for consistency over explosiveness.

I run Molten Rain and Firewalkers instead of your additional Skullcracks and Lightning Helix.

Metagame choice obviously but I would like to know what matchups outside of the burn mirror you would use the Helixes for. I find that Helix out of the board doesn't do it for me when I need to shoot creatures given that I'm already using Path. The flexibility of going to the face is great for consistency but the Firewalkers are just more silverbullet-y as are Paths.

Looking at the current top 15 decks, I bring it in in some capacity against the following:

- Jund
- Infect
- Dredge
- Mirror
- Abzan
- Affinity
- Delver
- Bant Eldrazi

That's over half the matchups. The idea is the card is a good catchall, works great against any aggressive deck. I used to run both Molten Rain and Kor Firewalker at different parts in my play and I've disliked both of them.

Molten Rain feels too slow, bad on the draw, and 2 damage for 3 mana doesn't do it for me, even with the potential to color screw someone out of the game. (Which doesn't happen nearly as often as it not mattering in my experience.) I purposely removed all 3 mana spells from the deck and dropped to 19 lands because I've won a ton of games on just two lands alone.

Kor Firewalker is good against the mirror and...that's pretty much it. I dropped them for a 4th Helix (was running 3 at the time) and the 2nd Grim Lavamancer, which is still great in the mirror and has more game against more matchups.

Why run Inspiring Village over another Sacred Foundry?

You very rarely need more than two sources of white, and the lack of cats means less need for Plains. The IV helps mitigate life loss in aggro matchups. That's really all it is.

I understand your assessment. So in those decks you named your Helixes are like your Paths 5-6. Or do you not like Path against those decks?

Against Infect and Affinity, they are mostly Path's. The fact they can replace non-creature targeting spells like Charm/Spike means they're instant includes.

Against Dredge, the Mirror and Bant Eldrazi, they're there to help keep us alive as we try to race. Dredge is usually a pure speed match, and Helix can give us the extra turn we need. It's the best card in the mirror for obvious reasons (And you'd of course side it in with some Path to deal with enemy Firewalkers, which you'd do even if you had your own Firewalkers.) And it helps us not immidiately get stomped by Bant Eldrazi, although it's still a terrible matchup.

For Jund, Delver, and Abzan, it's brought in because it's just better than what we already have.

For example, against a Jund deck where I'm not familiar with their list (Don't know if their hate card is Kitchen Finks, Feed the Clan, Huntmaster, ect.) I would swap out the Lavamancer, a Swiftspear, and the four Searing Blaze for the 2 Helix, 2 Skullcrack, and 2 of the Path. You don't want too many Path in such a midrange based matchup, and everything else in the sideboard is pretty inferior to Helix in the matchup. Sure, Molten Rain could potentially be better, but I'd only make that argument if I were on the play and had 20 lands instead of 19.