/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

Fight edition!

To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources.
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/custommagic/top/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>CHALLENGE!

Design a card based on this artwork.

How badly would this be exploited?

>Deathtouch
>R: Ping 1
Are you joking?

>custom cards
That's ridiculous.

Looks like roborosewater is getting smarter. Or at least this computer network is.

And that's why these threads don't make sense.

Hmm.

>Darom, Grave's Tempest
>2RB
>Legendary Zombie Warrior
>3/3

>When ~ ETB, sacrifice a creature you control.
>When ~ attacks, you may exile a creature from your graveyard. If you do, ~ deals X damage to target player or creature where X is the exiled creature's CMC.

Design a card on this image.

This is a fun kinetic image. I'm seeing something like a white/red combat trick.

Not sure about this.

I don't post in these threads anymore (making an exception now, obviously) but there are more than a few people here capable of making decent cards. I was not one of them, hence why I stopped. I do like to lurk now and again to see what people make, and am of the opinion that these threads, while lately slow and sometimes of dubious quality, have enough 'decent card karma' to warrant a spot. Better than another 'stat me' thread or some other waste of space.

Polite sage for no real contribution.

>6/6 vigilance trample for 5 that gives other creatures +3/+3 trample when dead
it's green so it's probably shit

from previous thread

this might require you to specify that you turn it right side up if it's already right side down, if that's what you intend

bump

I'm sure you guys have seen alternate ulrichs, here's what I'd like. Thoughts?

I don't think most of the abilites are too strong for standard as they're mostly irrelevant unless you're playing a werewolf deck.

2/2
Also couldn't find the day/night symbols in like 1 min, so I used the tombstone.

Didn't realize until just now that I oops'd on the italics in the last ability.

I feel like it should cost 1U or UU and draw a card as it ETBs.

Neat. Wouldn't blink at this in a set with generic hybrid mana.
A

I think it's generally worse than Anticipate.
A on design, not A on how good it is. Would be good in a standard without an environment with something like Anticipate.

I thought the cost needed to be slightly adjusted but you're paying 2BB, which is worse than Murder but you have flexibility to pay more 4B or 6. Maybe it could even be an instant and be fine.
A

The cost could probably be a lot less and/or it could turn everyone's library over.

Would you say this is balanced?

That last part is way out of proportion. Like, that effect really, REALLY isn't a thing in MTG and if it were it would be reserved for something truly spectacular. The card is just fine, but the last part is way out of proportion for a boring midrangey card with some some grave synergy.
Stop trying to nudge in HS garbage.

What's so extreme and mindblowing about it that is causes you to overreact like that? Why should it be reserved for something "truly spectacular"? We already have Relentless Rats that goes in the other direction. I see it as a means to balance the card. Kinda narrow-minded of you to dictate what effects are allowed to use to balance a card and what aren't.
>Like, that effect really, REALLY isn't a thing in MTG and if it were it would be reserved for something truly spectacular.
About how many things was this said 5-10 years ago and now many of those thing that would NEVER happend are here. Explore new design space and chill.

meant for

Maybe something like tap a creature to give a creature +3/+3 and trample UEOT. I think there needs to be some kind of cost and then it's safe to remove the only 1 Konar clause per deck.

I'm not adding a cost to get rid of that clause. The clause in of itself is fine. But what if you open 2 in sealed/draft? Unlikely but possibly a feel bad.

Maybe add a restriction to it instead of a cost, like target mono-green creature gets +2/+2 and trample UEOT?

I don't want the effect to have a cost. Just that for free one time per turn effect. How about I remove the solo clause and change it to +1/+1 trample and making him a 5/4? Now since that effect is so small it's not broken when you get many into your graveyard and that clause is no longer needed.

It's not an overreaction at all. His whole point was that it WASN'T extreme or mindblowing. You're tossing a unique ability that literally rewrites the rules of deck construction in a way that makes the card seem too good to have multiple copies in your deck onto a really bland creature.

Like, there's no real reason you couldn't just make it Legendary and say 'when ~ enters the battlefield exile all other cards named ~ from your graveyard'; instead you try to make some super special flashy ability and staple it to an uninspired goodstuff creature.

If I could put Innovate at 1 generic mana and 2/U I would. But it looks so awful.

At common I'm aiming to do 15 2brid cards. For each color, they get a 1 colored mana, 2 colored mana and 3 colored mana card.

>You're tossing a unique ability that literally rewrites the rules of deck construction
So did Relentless Rats and Shadowborn Apostle, a common and an uncommon.
>makes the card seem too good to have multiple copies in your deck
You are reading too much into this. Having a constant boost like that for free every turn even after he's been removed would be broken so I added that to balance him. That's it. You have decided that OMG THIS IS NOT SPECTACULAR ENOUGH FOR THAT CLAUSE! If it works it works. It doesn't have to be super flashy to use something in order to balance it.
>'when ~ enters the battlefield exile all other cards named ~ from your graveyard'
Yeah doesn't work when you already have one out and play another. Legend rule makes you sac one after the other has entered the battlefield and now you still get that effect twice.
It's simply a way to balance a card. Stop whining. So many effects that have never been done before were introduced on the backs of some ordinary cards that aren't super mega flashy. You have the mentally of a kid where everything that's new also has to be spectacular. That's not how it works.

What would Ramesh and Kumar say about this?

As a different user, I dislike it because it's awkward (relentless rats isn't, because you're removing a restriction instead of adding one) and it *does* sort of push towards the feeling of 'this is so good you can only have one in your deck for balance reasons', even though the card is kinda meh.

You just said it yourself-'it's a way to balance the card'. I think limiting the deck to one copy just so you don't have to think hard about how to balance effect out of the graveyard is extreme and also a huge cop out. Take it back to the drawing board and do some math.

>So did Relentless Rats and Shadowborn Apostle, a common and an uncommon.
They allow you to have more than 4, not something that's really going to be relevant unless you're building a deck that is trying to abuse that specific thing. It's the opposite.

Konar being one per deck is really pushing the card into a feel bad spot during deck construction. The card should be nerfed so that it's okay to have 4 of it in a deck or don't make the card.

I'm all for exploring new ground but limiting a card to one per deck on the card doesn't seem like a good place to go. Why go there when you can just make the card have some other clause that the effect only triggers once no matter how many Konars, exile all other Konars or something, or make it okay if it triggers 4x. Just like how R&D seems to consider dice, I don't think this is a design space we want to explore.

>bu-but vintage has one-ofs
that's because vintage is the only format where everything black border is legal

That it's redundant.

>I think limiting the deck to one copy just so you don't have to think hard about how to balance effect out of the graveyard is extreme and also a huge cop out

So do you also think being only able to cast something if you have colorless mana is also a balancing cop out? What about only mana that's produced by creatures. Everything can be used to balance a card. Whatever works to balance something should be allowed. You can't say "nuh uh don't use that to balance something, use numbers and math." You are incredibly narrow-minded and lack creativity. A typical naysayer with no ideas of his own.

My entry for .

Isn't Wildcat's whole shtick that he's just a normal dude who's good at boxing? I think it'd be really interesting if he was a 1/2 that gives your other creatures the fight abilities. He's sort of a mentor, right?

Let's set aside the horror of
>[R], Pay 1 life: Destroy target creature
for a moment and concentrate on the ability that grants Gravestorm. Ordinary Storm is one of the most broken mechanics ever printed. There's no card that can grant Storm to any spell, and for good reason - there are so many things that would be unimaginably busted if you could replicate them over and over. Now, consider that it's often easier to destroy/sacrifice a bunch of stuff than to carefully assemble a bunch of free spells and mana rituals, and it's easy to argue that Gravestorm is just as strong - if not stronger - than garden-variety Storm.

tl;dr This is a horrible idea. That said, your formatting is good, and you've made good use of hybrid mana.

That's a super cool card. R&D should be scared.

Doesn't that give you infinite mana with any permanent that taps for mana?

Probably doesn't need to be rare? It's a fairly strong effect, but its also simple.

It's strong, but there's a reason that the cheapest hand disruption is the most-played, Not sure what that reason is, but it's probably a good one.

Too easy to just dump this into your graveyard early for free pump. Add a restriction to the GY effect.

So what, "each player plays with the top card of his or her library revealed"? Even with Scry attached, this is too expensive.

You need the M15 Transform templates. Link to additional templates should be in the OP somewhere.

The wording you want is:
>Whenever another Werewolf enters the battlefield under your control, you may transform it. If you do, it gains haste.

As for the second ability, Immerwolf does it like this:
>Non-Human Werewolves you control can't transform.
Perhaps you wanted to be able to prevent Humans from transforming too?

I've been flip-flopping between Vanishing 2 and Vanishing 3.

Hey, a new set symbol! This is just mediocre enough (in terms of power level) to be a real card. Not much else to say about it.

It's always good to see people using twobrid mana. I wish there was a better symbol for it, though.

I fully expect to see this in the next set with 2brid mana, though perhaps at uncommon.

I don't think reducing deck consistency is a very good way to balance a card. It adds unneeded amounts of variance to the game. That said, I think it's used well here - it limits your ability to abuse the graveyard ability.

This should definitely be uncommon. Too wordy, and too complex. Oh, and you need to change the "4" to "2" in the reminder text.
>For each color, they get a 1 colored mana, 2 colored mana and 3 colored mana card.
Be careful not to constrain yourself too much! It's nice to have cycles, but don't squeeze mediocre designs into the set to fill them out.

This is going straight into my "lit custom cards" folder. The name is fucking perfect.

Post cards from that folder senpai

>You are incredibly narrow-minded and lack creativity. A typical naysayer with no ideas of his own.
Don't you think you're being a little harsh? Not him, but the difference the mana-related balancing you mention and the variance related balance is bigger than you're implying. If I have a powerful card that's limited to one-per-deck, my win-rate is going to be heavily affected by whether I draw it or not - i.e, luck. Obviously, this issue exists in Magic already (and is an essential part of what makes the game fun), but I think your "one per deck" idea accentuates it to where it becomes a problem.

A brief selection. I was going to include one of each color, but my only blue card image is, infuriatingly, for ants. There's a weird shortage of blue in that folder.

>a brief selection
Nah, none of that, man. Dump it. I need to see some great cards. Photojoiner a giant collage.

reddit.com/r/custommagic/top/
Have fun.

You're right on the first ability on the night side.

I want you to be able to choose every time for both humans and nonhumans. Sometimes I won't want to transform my Duskwatch Recruiter because I'm tapped out right now and it's a game of commander and it'll turn into the Howler before I untap so I won't be able to draw cards.

Not exactly sure how to word it.

1) Every time a werewolf transform ability resolves, you may choose not to transform it.
2) Ulrich has to be on the battlefield in order to apply the not transform.
3) It only affects each werewolf's own ability but not stuff like Moonmist.

"Non-Human Werewolves you control can't transform." is very clean. How would you word the above criteria? I do kind of like that once something turns into a werewolf, it stays a werewolf until after Ulrich transforms back. It creates a kind of tension and is probably better in the long run.

Why does Elspeth have 0 Loyalty? How does that work? What does she grant to the creature she's bestowed on?

Cruelty is really cool. Love it. Are there situations that would come up where this is different from everything having deathtouch?
noncombat damage and removal spells

While bestowed she's an aura not a planeswalker, so her loyalty doesn't matter and her loyalty abilities give bonuses to the creature she's attached to.

You forgot Locus

>Wildcat
Yeah, but since so many of the other CO creatures tend to be around 3/3, I wanted something that would allow the player to use the ability with their own creatures deliberately to pump them. Might lower the power to 1 though. Anyway, while 1/2 might be better from a flavor standpoint, I feel that mechanics must always come first. Besides, the abilities on the card demand a higher cost, and having a larger body, or at least larger than 1/2, helps keep the cost high without feeling, I dunno, unfair, I guess. There's actually another card I have, that has a small body but an effect that demands a larger mana cost, which I still need to balance out. I'll get to it later.

And here, have another Fighter.

>Wild Punch
Eh, good point. Switching to uncommon.

>Not sure what that reason is, but it's probably a good one.
You're kidding, right?

I think it needs wording work then. I think it's really cool but here's reminder text for bestow
"(If you cast this card for its bestow cost, it's an Aura spell with enchant creature. It becomes a creature again if it's not attached to a creature.)"

>You're kidding, right?
I don't actually play Magic.

Sometimes you just need to design a stupid tri-color mythic legend.

I'm always pleased to see cards that play well with Auras, and that's a cool way to do it.

...There's probably a debate to be had about giving Flying to every character that can fly. I'm not sure it's a good idea.

Tone down the toughness a little and you have a very cool EDH card.

>Reddit
Not even memeing. Is there a sight with a more obtuse interface?

>I don't actually play Magic.
Ah, well, neither do I. But it's the general rule that the most played cards will be the ones that do a lot at a low mana cost.

>card
Eh, never been a big fan of lifeloss for Regen effects, and that continues when it's Indie.

>I'm always pleased to see cards that play well with Auras, and that's a cool way to do it.
Cool, thanks. The Amazons have an Aura/Equipment subtheme that runs through them, with some favoring Auras and others favoring Equipment.

>...There's probably a debate to be had about giving Flying to every character that can fly. I'm not sure it's a good idea.
Hmm, should I drop it on Wonder Girl then? Maybe use Reach instead? Should I be more conservative about it in the future?

>card
Pretty cool, though I'm not sure about the colors. DStrike seems really odd in this color combo for one. And I feel like the last ability would be much better if it made the discard random. Both of these make me think it would be better suited to UBR, but I could be wrong, especially since the bounce ability doesn't really fit that color combo anyway. Well, doesn't matter, there's that WU card with DStrike, so it's probably fine. Anyway, here's my stupid tri-color legend, though it's not rare. Been trying to nail this design down for a while now.

Oh yeah, and I feel like Elka's last ability should just discard on top of dealing damage.

Not entirely sure of the wording, but it seems cool, though I am with the other guy when he says lower toughness. Maybe 1/5 or 2/4.

From the few times I've posted there, the r/custommagic community seems pretty cool, but yeah, that interface is the worst thing I've ever seen.

I like it, but feel like it should be flavorfully tied to Ravnica and especially the Azorius, since the card it's shaping is taken from there.

>I like it, but feel like it should be flavorfully tied to Ravnica
Good Point. Maybe a different angle then.
Azorius is a bit limited for cards for spellshapers.

So are you doing a cycle, or what?

Maybe

that flavor text is pretty cringey

It's actually pretty good. It's less likely that your cards will get overlooked.

I'd get rid of the first choice. If they were only going to cast one spell anyway, they choose the first one and it's like the effect didn't even trigger at all. A card like this wants your opponents to cast a lot of spells anyway, so the first mode is self-defeating from the beginning.

This could probably be costed at 4 mana. 'Head Games' is a 5 mana spell that is similar and much more powerful.

Wouldn't you still control the trigger from this?

Sorin vs Tibalt Mortify.

Cheating a bit on this one.

Started working on a cycle that focuses on young wizards that train their spells until things get too out of hand.

Will post the entire cycle of these things.

Blue one

Also, reply if the wording needs to be checked.

Whoops, meant a set, not a cycle. The cycle are the cards.

Green one.

Red one My fav, but I think the wording is horrendous. There aren't many cards with similar effects to base the text on.

Black one.

Don't know if this is busted or the drawback is too big. I like it anyway.

Is this dumb

That actually seems balanced to me. Drawback makes it where it isn't just wildly in your favor, kind of a gamble

Also how's this? Seems broken as a 3/2.

Nice, at least I'm not breaking anything.

What about this?

Extremely broken given the combination of abilities. A 1/2 might be OK

Looks fine on my book given how situational it is.

that seems almost too good to me, just because you could tap for 2 every single turn and not worry at all unless against mill deck. maybe it's a legendary land

There are a couple things we can do:

Make it legendary
Up the activation cost from top two to top X cards. 3 sounds still too good, I think 5 is the magic number.

thanks, one eyed snake should definitely be a 1/2, maybe even lose trample even though that was why i was kind of making him in the first place.

I think 5 actually sounds really good. because then after exiling 5 cards you probably won't want to do it again until you have something crazy in hand that you just need 1 more for

I could see 'discard a card' being an alternative for the cost for the second one. Trading quick mana for your hand.

Will make two versions of the card just in case. Thanks for the feedback!

Maybe discarding two cards?. Discarding one screams "Pay madness costs with your fresh new mana".

Time for a third version of the card!

What about this?

>Maybe discarding two cards?. Discarding one screams "Pay madness costs with your fresh new mana".

Yeah, I wouldn't include it in-set with madness. As those sets need to be considered with the idea that discard isn't a penalty.

Landscaper is a sick card not gonna lie
Could you use mana of one color before tapping landscaper to change its type? If so that's is really good, don't see why you couldn't

Discarding one card does seem too dirty with madness. if it is discard two then you actually have to pay to get that extra mana, so you would only do that if you were sure you could win after. Nice cards

When will Wizards make another unhinged/unglued set? I need more fun combinations to play at FNM.

They don't sell well for the cost investment.