EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

Beautiful Land Edition

Old Thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Topic:
Do you buy old sealed product ever?

Other urls found in this thread:

basiclandart.tumblr.com/
magiccards.info/pd3/en/29.html
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=40112
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=398422
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/olivia-voldarens-whacky-wombats-and-combats/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/geth-the-christmas-grinch/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/nostalgic-necromancer/).
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

1st for your favorite spicy meatball

are the full art lands allowed?

I dont discriminate as long as the art is awesome.

My go to plains.

if your lands aren't hand-picked from your collection, you're doing it wrong.

I look for good looking lands.

why is WU the best

This right here. I love to have each basic be different and something I really like.

What should I go for first when pimping out a deck?
Masterpiece mana crypt or masterpiece sol ring? Or should I go for another foil/old sol ring variant?

I have been seeing khans fetchlands at all record lows right now, not crazy low but alot cheaper than they were in eldrazi winter.

My store has like 3 deltas at least a set of windswepts and a set of floodeds

I can afford them in about 9 days and the store never moves singles anyways, like they are still displaying painlands and oath uncommons.

If i wait the 9 days am i at any risk of fetches sky rocketing again because of frontier?
I some how doubt they will move too much in price.

What i would like to do is between now and march is buy a set of 5 of all of them.
The reasoning is i bought all 5 c16 decks, and i could either put them in those, or in the future use them to build frontier/modern decks as lands is usually the most expensive and important part.

I know the c16 decks arent competitive but i dont have direction time or (extra) money to take them in a different path.
Ill work on them in my own time.

Tl;dr: should i act and buy lgs fetch lands or wait for pay day?

I thought about selling my 5.1 surround system i could get at least 100$ for it, could buy other stuff too.

If you wanna search for land art use

basiclandart.tumblr.com/

I hate that island it's the worst. There's some weird grid in the sky and it's just a mess of blues. 404 island not found.

Also lol they are trying to charge 18$ usd for a satin tower and msrp for a booster box, with little prize support and they wonder why people arent showing up to fnm.

Things look a bit grim, but hopefully our mtg community doesn't die off.

because its on Esper which is literally controlled so hard that even the weather and terrain is controlled.

my favorite land is probably the foil full art bucket island

Do you plan on using the fetches for 60 card or edh? If you don't have current ideas I wouldn't go for the fetches of colors you haven't made yet. Fetches are only used in commander because of the "deck thinning" meme or if you have dual lands or shock lands.

Steven Belledin forests for me.
Karl Kopinski mountains.

My personal favorite island

>Do you ever buy old sealed product?

Nope, last sealed of any product I bought was emn booster box and pulled 3 lilis and emrakul. I sold them off after the price spike and started buying singles of anything I want/need

Nice. I use that island and pic related in my Simic deck.

I will get 2 type lands (maybe shock maybe other) soon.
I just dont feel like eating 30 cans of beans for the month of January and thats it.

>Do you buy old sealed product ever?

I bought the Meren precon a few weeks ago but I don't think that really counts. Other than that I build old boxes to draft with my m8s sometimes but nothing crazy like an Urza box.

this should be added to the OP

Don't feel forced into buying them user. Acquire them as you are able to, once you get ones you want then work on acquiring shocks

honestly they are not necessary, i can count on one hand the amount of times having all the fancy lands has mattered

How do you handle basics in your EDH decks?
Do you
>make sure every basic is the same basic, and match sets or blocks
>make sure every basic is the same basic, but different types don't need to be from the same set or block
>make sure every basic comes from the same set or block, but don't need to be identical art
>make sure you only use two or three different arts for each type of basic, from the same set/block
>make sure you only use two or three different arts for each type of basic, from any set/block
>use all the basics in your types from a certain set/block
>hand-pick a bunch of different basics regardless of set/block
>grab from a mixed pile of lands like a filthy goblin

Also, do you
>try to find lands that match the theme of your deck, such as using lands that feature buildings and structures exclusively, or similar features, and so on,
>try to find lands that look fairly similar to each other, be that within each type or having all your basics share a similar look
>pick your favorite lands regardless of how they mesh together
>have no cohesive theming whatsoever

>use two or three different arts for each type, regardless of set/block
and
>attempt to theme lands as much as possible
reporting in.

i usually just throw in random basics in from what i have. i only put in specific ones in my "signature" decks

Just scared with frontier maybe becoming a real thing that they might go to 30 each in another months time.
I doubt frontier will take off hard but its a real possibility.

frontier wont become a thing but if it does it should only affect pain, check, man, and half the fetch lands. none of which are that expensive

Any good grave-theme lands for other colors besides black?
I want to hunt down foils to match thematically with my graveborn swamps.

Usually, I just build off of precons, so it goes by set for me.

Yeah, maybe plains that are deserts with bones or forests that are covered in decay? Also what swamps ya usin?

This one is really cool

What's your top five wishes for cards to be (re)printed this year?
>5- Enemy Odyssey Filterlands
>4.- Enemy Mirage SlowFetchlands.
>3.- Enemy Battlelands
>2.- Enemy Talismans
>1.- Enemy Fetchlands reprint.

I dream of economically-viable mana fixing

I'm using lands from the premium series graveborn deck.
magiccards.info/pd3/en/29.html

i wouldnt mind some of the tutors being reprinted or some board wipes

Black and green usually do most graveyard stuff.

Black creates zombies and horror and brings them back from grave, and cares most about what is in there but typically weaker support creatures. It kills basically anything too.
Green puts alot of things into the graveyard and sometimes cares whats in there but makes huge dudes.
Blue draws you alot of cards and can mill your opponent or fill up your grave somewhat but blue is really more about the spells. Has a handful of good creatures.

There is a commander 2015 precon that is heavily based on killing and saccing and when shit dies other shit happens.

Pretty much nobody in the "investing" community is buying fetchlands right now because they "know" ZEN fetchlands are being reprinted before 2019 and zero-three years is not enough to make a profit on them.

The people who (correctly) swear "it's all about the fetch", already got their stock back when Windswept could be had for 5.99.

Véronique Meignaud's is pretty cool too but this is definitely the best full-art plains.

If possible, play the sweetest land arts possible. Otherwise make sure they all match. My tightest mana base runs two of this plains, an Unhinged plains, a foil Unhinged swamp, three of the Zendikar ring mountain (Russian, English, and English Foil) and one Zendikar cliff mountain just because it's Japanese. I need to get an Unhinged mountain to replace that one.

Urza lands have the best art, so I usually get all of them with the exact same art...at least for the two decks I regularly pilot. Anything else gets random stuff.

Always go with the best looking art because in a 5 player game, you'll be staring at your mana a lot.

Matching set/theme if possible. Sometimes a set's lands are just garbage. All matching arts.

Pic related, newest project.

If not, the default is Noah Bradley full arts.

Does it have to be basic lands? I would give a sizable sum of money for a playmat of this land.

Holy wow. These islands have never been printed in a black border and that is a sin.

>make sure every basic is the same basic, and match sets or blocks
Yes

>>try to find lands that match the theme of your deck, such as using lands that feature buildings and structures exclusively, or similar features, and so on
Yes

9/10 of my decks have foil full-arts from BfZ, and make sure all arts are from the same artist cycle within each deck. (So a RUG deck plays all same art islands, forests, mountains by Noah Bradley)

The one deck that doesn't have foil full arts runs Izzet League MPS lands, because you can't go more flavorful than that in an Izzet deck.

Inked playmats will make whatever the fuck you want, just upload an image and pay.

I usually try to match the lands to the theme/commander of the deck. Usually end up with a couple different artworks though I'm not opposed to all of them being the same if I can't find a good matching variety. For example. all of the wastes in my Kozilek/Karn deck are of the bismuth looking one. Speaking of which, I finally managed to foil those out. I probably should have prioritized more essential pieces for other decks but I'll be damned if they don't look sweet.

I'll admit to grabbing a bunch of random lands when I first build a deck, but I usually change the basics out for foils with nice art. The only exception is my Kozilek deck, where all the Wastes are pic related.

Not high enough quality print of the art unfortunately otherwise I would've done it.

Primarily a legacy player, but I like edh for me its

5. Filter lands
4. Enemy "battle" lands
3. Check lands
2. Tribak support
1. Print shit that is actually played in modern/legacy instead of shoving junk in "masters" sets

>5. Snapcaster Mage
>4. Enemy battlelands
>3. Cool new commanders I want to build
>2. Zendikar fetchlands
>1. Damnation already fucking please Wizards

Any land is fine, and I agree with you about the art on Nimbus Maze.

>Hoof Daddy
>Abzan Elf Commander (That is good, hopefully)
>Doubling Season
>Rishadan Port
>Phyrexian Altar
I like going big and stupid in commander, and Port in a commander precon would demolish the price if they kept it in stock

Your list sounds pretty good already. I'll also take a path to exile reprint.

Every deck I got, the basics I have for each deck, I made sure they have different arts. It didnt matter which edition they came from.

I did made sure to have at least 2 FART lands for each color the deck has also.

The Euro lands really are gorgeous.

What's their deal? Why are they so expensive?

>every basic land the goddamn same
pic related

>lands match a set, theme, or feel
godtier

>random ass lands with exactly one white border to tilt peoples autism
elder chaos god tier

>>>random ass lands with exactly one white border to tilt peoples autism
YOU SUMBITCH

That is one spicy meatball for ETB effects, especially in something like a Breya deck.

i have nightmares of torpor orb hitting my etb deck

5th Ed motherfucker! I use those in my VERY old Dream Tides/Sleight of Mind/Falcon-Tim creature-lock deck. It's not great but it'ss so satisfying when it does work that I can't not keep it together. Otherwise, since the deck was built aread Zephyr and Bay Falcons (Vigilant Birds are KEY), I'd pull them and the Mirage Islands for my Teferi Turns decks.

I just put together this picture of all the basics in my Hazezon deck. I have 5 of each type, it goes mountain, forest, plains in columns.

>based Avon Forest

I fucking love that one, Onslaught era lands were so damn nice.

This right here is my favorite swamp art

Shadowmoor plains are so beautiful

To the guy in the previous thread who couldn't wrap his mind about "having to reveal targeted cards in his graveyard":
Your graveyard is open information. Any player can at any given moment ask to browse the entire graveyard of any other player. When you target cards in your graveyard, you announce what cards you are targeting as you cast the spell, before it resolves. Other players may then respond by for example removing those cards from the graveyard (Scavenging Ooze).

time to become an elder chaos god.

yo which swamp is that?

>not having memorized all good card artworks
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=40112

Not really old but the art on some of the archenemy lands is pretty sweet.

>. Damnation already fucking please Wizards

they can't print that because it would piss off the (((collectors))). after all, the secondary market matters more than playing the game

Can you imagine how pissed off collectors would be over a zendikar fetchland reprint?

I hope they reprint them in a set that won't cost 9.99$ a pack so they drop to the same price as khans fetches.

>How do you handle basics in your EDH decks?
>Do you

I am a filthy goblin. Lately I've been replacing all of my basics with BFZ full art basic lands. For the most part I don't give a crap about basic land art.

>Also, do you

I have neither the inclination or patience to be so autistic over basic lands.

>and

No.

>random ass lands with exactly one white border to tilt peoples autism

I like your style.

those of you playing gitgud monster: post your list please

It's unlikely that it will be reprinted, because it was in a special kind of block. Same reason why we probably never see Riggers, Gravestorm or Transfigure among the million keywords the set had unless wizards runs out of ideas.
I don't really care for that exact reprint, I would like a new Time Spiral block.
Besides, Damnation has had two reprints already if I recall, Judge promo and the full art foil thing.

Could baby chandra be a viable commander?
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=398422

I need to make a few of these.

So my brother-in-law heard I play Magic with my friends and got me some great cards for my Lazav deck.

My problem is that my group has only been playing for about a year and we don't have tournament winning decks and if I put the good cards in I might become the archenemy at the table.

(He got me a Snapcaster Mage, Briber, Reanimate and Mesmeric Orb)

Can just a few cards really push your deck to an unfair level? My friends are all still playing with jank decks and updated precons that each probably cost ~$100 on tapped out.

No those cards won't push it too far

A snapcaster mage won't push your deck into archenemy terrority. Building a prison deck will.

Thanks, some people in my group still complain that Magic is "pay2win" and essentially doubling my decks value seemed spooky.

I already know I am going to cast something like Bribery and everyone will roll their eyes because it isn't a $1 card.

>make sure every basic is the same basic, and match sets or block
Usually hard to do, but I have dozens of pic related to stuff in my red decks. Damn, it's sexy.

Otherwise, I'll do 2-3 different arts all from the same set.

I always make sure they fit the theme, for my new Vorinclex Deck i ordered a bunch of the panorama forests from Scars.

Tell them to grow up then, do you play with 14 year olds or something?

How shit is my deck?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/olivia-voldarens-whacky-wombats-and-combats/

Looking to make it more fun and able to win. Not opposed to spending a few bucks. I guess the main idea is to kill whatever opponents drop and win with my stuff. Or steal theirs

I usually pick out my lands to be either sweet old foils or on-theme for my commanders plane. I feel like in a format full of staples and core cards basics are often the best way to express yourself within your deck. Here's my casual grixis flashback deck, Slobad EDH and Melek EDH basics. I couldn't get a good shot on my potato phone of them all so i just cropped them together.

doesn't look too bad for casual edh. here are changes to consider

add:
>myriad landscape
>ashnod's altar and maybe a few more sac outlets (so you can sac your shit when olivia dies)
>maybe a few good threaten effects and threaten effect synergy (bazaar trader) to provide redundancy and synergy with olivia's gimmick. no idea if that would work though
>grave betrayal
>exsanguinate

remove:
>flametongue kavu
>chainer's edict
>tragic slip
>starstorm

Nah we are all in our mid twenties but have only been playing for almost a year now and have kept our decks all at a similar power level as we slowly build them.

I dig your deck name.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Sac outlet is a definite must. I was thinking Viscera Seer but it might just die from my own hand.

Grave Betrayal is amazing, no excuse to not use that one. Actually I think I'll need a whole bunch of "when a creature dies" triggers.

How the hell did I forget about Exsanguinate? Already got that one.

Flametongue and edict were just thrown in there. With all the death, no Tragic Slip? Thought it'd be a free kill against some big fuckers. Should I leave Tribute to Hunger?

Startstorm goes but Magmaquake stays? They're in because I don't have many great boardwipes.

Haha thanks man

Perhaps a bit too much draw for this deck? Not sure.

Why don't they all just buy better cards then if it's an issue or becomes one

Half my playgroup has kids so we don't want to leave them in the dust, those of us with more disposable income just make more decks.

People generally don't want to engage in an arms race with escalating costs especially if they see it as the only way they can compete.

It's why I like to have different decks of different "finished-ness" levels. I've got the one pimp as hell deck and others that are just piles I've thrown together or ideas I'm trying out.

viscera seer is a very good sac outlet. generally, low cost outlets that cost no mana to use are the best for reactive saccing, so viscera seer, carrion feeder, spawning pit, etc.

>Startstorm goes but Magmaquake stays?

i only skimmed through so i just didn't notice it. generally the "deal X to all creatures" spells are pretty bad in EDH. better to cut them and replace them with better board wipes, like necromantic selection and stuff.

i'm actually brewing a monoblack deck that revolves around my opponents' creatures dying. it has of reanimation and LTB synergy. you might find some ideas there. here's a link:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/geth-the-christmas-grinch/

>lmao just tell them to get better cards :^)

fyi this is a real dick move to pull on your group. absolutely no one will benefit from an arms race. if you start one, you're probably a masturbatory egoistic That Guy.

low-power metas are more fun anyway since you can run fun interactive jank and theme decks and still do okay. powerful metas just end up with 4 players all racing to their wincon in a grand solitaire competition.

>generally the "deal X to all creatures" spells are pretty bad in EDH. better to cut them and replace them with better board wipes, like necromantic selection and stuff.

Yeah I figured. Like I said though, crappy board wipes. Need to update those first I think, considering the theme here.

I'll take a look at that list, thanks.

>Grixis flashback
Who's at the helm and post list? I've been trying to do something like that in ages.

Oh, that's just a 60 card list for some kitchen table. I can still post list though if you want.

Oh right, I've tried in 60 card casual before but it always seems I'm trying to jam too much stuff in a single deck. Wish there was a commander to support that sort of strategy, I've tried with Nekusar but it didn't went so well.

Hey anons, looking for some suggestions and critique for pic related (tappedout.net/mtg-decks/nostalgic-necromancer/).

I tried going for value sac/reanimator deck. Unsure about the birthing pod even though I want to keep it as it's a chance to play it but my creature curve has some chokepoints (for example only two 4 cmc creatures) and I am unsure if it's a bad thing.

times u btfo som fag??

I used to have something like that build in Pauper EDH with Grixis Battlemage, but I don't have the list anymore.

played my Zedruu deck listed earlier. Some fag was on Slivers. He plays his sliver queen and is smug as fuck.
So I play a spell that steals his Sliver Queen.
In response, he actives her ability to look for the Shroud sliver.
I take control of the sliver queen and he plays the shroud sliver, passing the turn.
I play the land that makes creatures lose hexproof and shroud until EOT, and use Sliver Queen's ability to steal his shroud sliver, passing the turn.
His commander was under my control, and I could steal all his slivers one by one and there was nothing he could do about it. Never seen a player get so outplayed in EDH in a while.