Board Game General /bgg/

Last thread:
Pastebin:
>pastebin.com/NA2W929q

New Year, new chance to get more games to the table, what's on your "to be played" list? Any game related projects you're planning? Conventions to be attended?

What's the next kickstarter to be hyped so hard posters throw their backs out heaping praise on a vague suggestion of a ruleset?

Other urls found in this thread:

trictrac.net/actus/asmodee-fait-dans-l-acquisition
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>what's on your "to be played" list?
I got Mage Knight, Doom, Space Hulk Death Angel, and Flashpoint over the break so I'd really like to break them open asap

how's the replay value on the Grizzled

New year, three new acquisitions by Asmodeus:

trictrac.net/actus/asmodee-fait-dans-l-acquisition

That's all, off to game day, hope we can get meatier things than for sale and code names to the table. Love those games, but I need more Mare Nostrum, damnit!

Pretty gud

> New Year, new chance to get more games to the table, what's on your "to be played" list?

Want to get War of the Ring or a 2v2 war/strategy game.

> Any game related projects you're planning? Conventions to be attended?

Conventions - not really. I don't really like to be surrounded by many people.

I had an idea to make a board game based on the old starcraft Good vs Evil / Micro/Macro UMS. Basically one player in a team would be responsible for creating units, and other people on the team for fighting. I'd combine that with incomplete communication, hidden goals that only the god knows

They got edge. Edge distributes and translates CMON games in France.

That doesnt sound good to me.

Does this mean that Asmodee can hike the prices on CMON games in France without CMON's permission?

Probably, but who knows ?

Maybe they'll stop supporting CMON games altogether.

i just got usaopoly has anyone played i cant wait to try it

>what's on your "to be played" list?
Mechs vs Minions, also going to finish Pandemic Legacy (we are in October). Looking forward to KD:M

> Any game related projects you're planning?
Not really, does getting game related furniture counts?

>Conventions to be attended?
AFAIK only Kingdom-Con

I don't see any problem. Asmodee is efficient in what it does and if this allows them to get more stuff done, it's all good.
I'm also still waiting for Edge to print Eldritch Horror again (heard it was due for February) so 'maybe' it can speed things up too.

Also to all spanish-speaking countries.
As if we needed even more price hikes.

>Lives in a Spanish speaking country
>Order games from the land of the free with no increased prices

Feels good to live next to the border.

Wait until the wall is built.

>I don't see any problem
So this is how the boardgame industry dies...

Is flick em up a good game to play with kids 6-8?
I kinda wanna get something the grown ups can enjoy with the kids

If this shit results in higher prices and cartel shit, of course it's bad. But for now, according to the article, it might not be a bad thing and it seems this event was unavoidable anyway.
If you wish to boycott and stick to other enterprises/crowdfunding, it's up to you. As long as prices don't go up, it's rather fine to me.

Haven't played it with kids but for adults it's a fun game. So I'd say yes.

For maximum fun give the adults alcohol and the kids coffee.

Better yet, give the kids candy bars and the adults joints.

Shipping is retarded, it's less expensive to ship shit from USA to Spain, than from USA to Mexico, and a lot of stuff like booster boxes cannot be shipped internationally.
It's specially ridiculous how there's two fedex less than 1km from each other on opposite sides of the border. The American one charges me $20+ to send stuff to Mexico City, the Mexican one charges me $4 and my shit arrives in a day.

I've also had shit shipped from Japan that arrives in 2-3 days while shit coming from the other side of the country takes weeks.
America, the land of overcharging for services more mediocre than Mexico's.

Oh man don't tell me that, I'm waiting a job offer and I'll have to relocate to Mexico City. How is Amazon.mx for buying board games?
Hopefully I will stock up in a shit ton of games before moving.

>Shipping from USA to a moderately alright run (if poor) Euro country with good relations costs less than shipping from USA to an systematically corrupt, second world country with horrible relations

WHAT A FUCKING SORPRESA

>As long as prices don't go up
Yes, because that's precisely what hasn't already happened. It most definitely will not happen again.

>Amazon.mx
Nigga, just look at the prices. It's better to buy from the real amazon and wait three milleniums for your shit to arrive.
The problem isn't Mexico, it's America. Shipping stuff from Mexico to Spain is cheaper and arrives faster. Shipping stuff from America to Canada is expenseive, lazy cancer as well.

>to be played list
CO^2, TI3, Starcraft, Broom Service, Bora Bora, Dungeon Petz, Mage Wars

I keep buying stuff that never sees any play

>game related projects
I wanna build a gaming table and a crokinole board, let's see how that goes, I'm a hard line procrastinator. Also, have some PnPs for games I wanna try but no one to try them with.

>conventions to be attended
Nothing near me, not enough cash to attend any of the big names and I'll probably forget when they're coming up. I can't keep track of events for shit.

step it up senpai, that's bad bait

>not third world
It's not piss poor like fucking Uganda, but it's still on the verge of an economic and social meltdown. If it's not gone completely down the shitter is because we need cheap labor next door.

So their plan is buying all the gaming companies that allow it, and buying the distributors or those that don't?

It's nice to see we truly are back to the 40's.

How else are you going to expand the Empire?

Somewhat new to the hobby, can someone explain the deal with Asmodee? I see they've acquired a large sum of popular titles and apparently hiked prices up as well. Have they done anything else? Any attempts to homogenize their share of the industry?

Are you familiar with video games? Basically they are EA of our industry.

Not just titles. They are buying publishers and distributors as well, which gives them insane leverage on how a game gets from production to consumer. They get to dictate the rules, what gets funded and produced, how the game is distributed, online retailer policies, who gets what, when and for how much, pricing and profit margins for middlemen and retailers, where the games get shipped or don't, and put a lot of pressure on the competition and ultimately, the customer.
They have gone on record saying that board games are luxury items, that they should be considered and appreciated as such and be priced accordingly, that consumers should be grateful for paying more for games that costed less in the past, because now the consumer knows it they are luxury items and that consumers should buy a single expensive luxury game than 3 or 4 competitor's games for the same price.

Ah I see. How unfortunate.

Wow they sound like complete faggots. Are the games they're acquiring being produced at a higher grade of quality now, to coincide with this 'luxury items' view?

So basically corporate dicks doing corporate dick things.

Good thing I'm a /gd/ printing technician, illustrator and sculptor who can make his own games with blackjack and hookers.

>Are the games they're acquiring being produced at a higher grade of quality now, to coincide with this 'luxury items' view?
Are you mad? Costs must be cut to maximize profit.
Do you even rampanth capitalism?

>Are the games they're acquiring being produced at a higher grade of quality now, to coincide with this 'luxury items' view?
I don't know for sure but it doesn't seem like they will scale quality on par with cost.
The new editions of Ra and Tigris and Euphrates are worse and more expensive, Mansions of Madness 2e has less physical content and a ~30% price increase.
As for newer games I'm not entirely sure, got a bit disconnected since october.

I was hoping a little too optimistically I suppose.

They actually cut physical components from the game? Sounds fucking gay, damn.

It's comparing apples to oranges.

Cutting physical components from the game is true but doesn't take into the account that the game comes with an app with very high production values and must get the investment from that app back.

The productions values of what's included in the game are top notch, the game itself is also revamped.

That not even counting inflation.

A standard inflation rate of 5% per year means that in 5 years something priced x will cost 1.27 x.

Is there an online place with board game scans?

Any of you guys know if there are Star Wars: Rebellion DIY resources available anywhere?

Last I remember there was one on 7chan, depending what you're looking for you might find it on BGG or r/boardgames.

FFG stuff is reasonably hard to find, the files that's out there for use on Vassal/etc are all scrubbed of artwork, since apparently that's what they sue over, so you might find the data but then have to insert your own images to make it work.

Do you sleeve your cards? And if so, which brand is the best?

I sleeve them but I'm usually not very concerned with the brand so long as I can find something that suits the format. I favor transparent sleeves to keep the spirit of the game over customized/colored shit.

I'm in the market for a dungeon crawler type game and was thinking of picking up Arcadia Quest, is it worth it, or should I grab something else?

Isn't Arcadia Quest a 1v1 skirmish?

PvPvE (2-4p and mobs are AI) where the mobs are loot pinatas giving you an excuse to fight each other.

It's not really a traditional dungeon crawler, but it's really good at what it does.

So it's still worth the buy?

Do you have an estimate for how much it would have cost FFG to produce, support and distribute MoM2's app?

As a dungeon crawl? Prolly not for me, then again at this point the only thing that gives me the hack and slash I'm looking for is a straight up rpg. It's definitely worth it if you don't care about being a team though, the minis are quite nice, the combat is pretty good, and it does kinda have a campaign setup where if you're the person who wins you're choosing where to next. It's rated 8/10 on BGG and while they're a hair high for my taste, I'd say it's a fair score. It's been a while since I played though, so if you really want a good idea I'd look through the dice tower live stuff, pretty sure they did a playthrough last year.

After having owned the game for about 3 months, I finally got to play my first game of Forbidden Stars. It took ~5 and a half hours from the last person arriving to the game being over, playing a 3 person game.

I had a lot of fun! It's probably the heaviest game I've played (it's definitely the heaviest non-euro, but I'm not sure how to compare it to something like Terra Mystica), and I really liked having different units that had different strengths and abilities. The other dudes on a map games in my collection are more along the lines of Kemet, where one dude = one strength and you're just adding up raw power. I also really liked the combat! The combat cards are fun to use and there's a good amount of depth there. My only real complaints are the length and the minis. The game has a lot of room for player improvement and is begging to be played at LEAST ten times, if not more, but the sheer time commitment means it's probably not gonna hit the table for another few months. As far as the minis go, the plastic is decently high quality and the ships and mechs look cool, but why is a Space Marine just a banner? Why is a scout just a flag? It couldn't have been that much more expensive to make them look like actual units, and I would have gladly paid an extra $5-10 for it.

I don't actually play 40k, so I'm not sure how faithful to the lore it is, but just as a game itself I thought it was excellent.

Does that playtime involve teaching others how to play or is that straight playtime?

It included teaching people to play (which didn't take that long considering the weight of the game), and also a lot of re-checking the rules for edge cases that weren't in the "learn to play" booklet. I would guess the next time we play it'll run closer to 3-4 hours.

I've been thinking about getting forbidden stars, do you recommend it?

Played Scythe for the first time tonight. It's took about 4 hours for a 3 person game. We've played Terra Mystica which is heavy but my typical group could not warp their heads around this one. Thinking I might not ever get this to the table again even though I loved it.

4 hours? Scythe should take like, 90 minutes or so. Does one of your members have serious AP?

This is including setup and explaining the rules which to be fair I didn't know either. But I just had to explain and reexplain the same rules which started to be annoying. But some of the intricacies of how workers moved but special abilities only effect character and mechs and moving resources was impenetrable to them.

To be fair it is the first game we've ever played in my group that has really any "dudes on a map" style anything.

Absolutely
It's going oop so it's a no brainer to anyone with the least bit of interest and disposable income, you can just sit on it for a year and sell it for at least your money back if you end up not liking it

No infantry sculpts because GW reasons.

I can see that. I really like the game because it feels heavy without actually being complicated, but the rules can definitely be a mouthful. Even so, 4 hours is... excessive, to say the least. Did you explain the rules fully multiple times, or were there just a lot of questions?

Serious question: Has GW ever made a good decision in the history of their company?

A ton of questions, it wasn't until about 4 stars in that it clicked for one of them. The other was still kind of struggling and I understood the rules completely but was unable to effectively strategize until the end. I thought once they were comfortable with something like Terra Mystica they could hop right into most things.

It's a fun game though, I really look forward to playing it some more. Just not as noob friendly as I thought it would be.

/kdm/ here.
Just thought you guys might like to know that Exploding Kittens has been deposed.

Is it just me or is Dead of Winter like bonkers broken with regards to the betrayer? Either one way (towards the betrayer in the standard) or the other (against the betrayer in the expansion).

For the base game:
As the betrayer, you just shop/help the other people while you wait for your double turn. Then you eat all the food (-1), spike the crisis (-1), fill up the junk (-1), and shop/travel (-X). It's not uncommon to be able to get a total morale of -5 or -6. That's enough to bring down the other survivors almost no matter what. The only way the betrayer should lose is if the double-turn comes up before they can get started (i.e. it's on turn 1 & 2). But then you get yourself exiled and don't really care.

For the expansion:
Since the turn marker does not have to move, it's extremely advantageous for the non-betrayers to keep it with the same player (no one gets a double-turn). The only way it backfires is if these two conditions are both met:

1) There is a betrayer
2) The betrayer is the last player to play in a round

Assuming 6 players, 1 is about a 50/50 shot (47% of no betrayer) and 2 is a 1/6 shot, for a 6-player game, the betrayer should only be able to win without getting exiled in about 1/12 games. That means (unless you happen to be the last player), the only way to lower morale is killing other characters on your turn (either by the bite, which lowers by maximum 2 and is only 1/12 chance of happening), or killing them yourself (which requires up to 3 action dice apiece). Neither of these are not very good cases. The most you're likely to be able to reduce morale by 1-3. Anything else, and you're exiled before the morale effects can happen (from crisis, overruns, food, and junk), which negates the morale 0 condition of victory.

So what gives? Everyone says they love the game but I can't be the only one to notice this bullshit.

They hired Tuomas Pirinen way back when.
Then they let him go, so I guess it doesn't really count.

No, I would not like to know that.
Come back and tell me when it's an actual game up there. When it's not something that's either plastic pusher shit or lolsorandumb shit. I would like to know then.

>plastic pusher shit
It's really a good game.

I don't get it.

Blokus or Gemblo?

same

>90€

I'm assuming they outsource it.

I'm very shitty at estimating time to market but I'd say the core app is something between 40 and 60 work-months and each of the scenario about 4 work months.

I'm assuming a 4-6 person team, a single person could probably do it in one year but it wouldn't be tested as well (the biggest problem is supporting various mobile devices)

All told it's probably more because my predictions are usually underestimates.

I've been seeing Kemet Ta-Seti expansion going for 30~40$, is this the normal price?
My local store sells it for 25$ in shrink.

Jump on that, Kemet is the shit.

Anyone try AEG's black box game this year?

Wow that is a lot, but you should
>euro and usd are at parity
Oh, yeah.
It's not that bad, jump on it.

I already ordered the base game a week ago, I just found out that the expansion is sold at my store for this cheap, so I thought I'd jump in on it.

Is it considered cheap?

Well, I'm kinda looking for a slightly heavy strategy game but there are still dice to throw so it's not exactly what I want.

It goes for at least $60 on Amazon.

>slightly heavy strategy game
>no dice
Kemet.

>To be played
Great Western Trail, friend just got it and I'm psyched to try it out. Mission Red Planet, don't know why I bought it really because I don't really need more games right now.
>Conventions
Nope
>Kickstarter
Never
Even if you resolve to stop playing it after winning just once, you'll be playing it for the rest of your life
Permission? Licensees can probably charge as high as they want (there's probably a minimum price in the contract). That said CMON could just let the current contract period expire and find someone else.
Prices of older games were raised at OLGS's from avg 30% off retail price to avg 15% off retail price. Amazon and other retail prices haven't changed. Some new games have idiotically high MSRPs
Ra's pricing was shit, but you're out of your damn mind if you think MoM2 had less content. It had fewer cards, but more plastic and cardboard than the original. And obviously there's a replacement for the cards that you're neglecting to mention
It's my personal favorite of that style of game
Finally
>AEG
Not even once

>>AEG
>Not even once
I've only played Valley of Kings from them, what's the problem?

Got a question for the Lieutenant packs for Descent:
Some cards say "Exhaust this card after the setup of an encounter. As long as this card is exhausted [insert effect here]". Does that mean the effect is permanent? When do I have to pay the activation cost in tokens?

The expansion goes for 60$? I saw it for 45$~30$
I got the game for ~60$ and the expansion is another 25$.

>The Grizzled
I really wanted to get it at one point, but after seeing the gameplay it turned me off hard.

Just seems to slow and repetitive, is it really that great?

The ones I'm seeing in that range are non-English.
Which for Kemet, admittedly, means nothing.

They have a tendency to drop everything not Love Letter related. I'm glad they at least finished all 3 VotK games though.

ugh, yeah, i have a bad taste in my mouth after what happened with Doomtown

Pasting my team game list as a way to foster discussion.

Team game list:

> What doesn't count
Games with politics, backstabbing, unknown teams or hidden traitor mechanics, 1vMany.

Games:
> Cyclades
2v2, 3v3 or 2v2v2. Symmetric roles.
> StarCraft
Team play variant. Symmetric roles (differen races)
> Captain Sonar
team vs team, different roles
> Space Cadets: Dice Duel
team vs team, different roles
> Code Names
team vs team, party game
> Sails of Glory
technically works with literally any count
> Quartermaster General
Team vs team, n vs m | 1 >= n >= m >= 3
> Last Night on Earth
Usually a 1vMany game but can be played as team vs team with 6 or 4 players (2v4 or 2v2)
> Duel of Ages II
Duel of Ages II should fit the bill pretty well and can work with uneven player numbers if people are willing to manage more characters, has enough strategy and management involved to be considered complicated (highly variable character powers and stats, characters relying on using ranged weapons which need to be picked up and most likely traded) and also scales up to 8 players, 16 with the expansion. I believe it's currently OOP (pretty sure the Master Set is and boy is that an expansion and a half) but I imagine there will be another print run sometime this decade as the designer is working on another expansion
> 1775: rebellion
2v2

Too lazy to check the counts/verify
> 1812: The Invasion of Canada
> Arena of the Planeswalkers
> Heroscape

Anyone who keeps wasting their money on that turd deserves to get fleeced.

>black box 2017 has the entirety of thunderstone advance

IIRC 1812 is 3 vs 2

Well wrt the Black Box it's always a disappointment and I have no idea why AEG even tries anymore. Also Chad Marler recently made a hilarious video about the stupidity of their Planes, Trains, and Automobiles expansion box.

They are the most boneheaded publishers in board gaming

People always seem to play it slower than it needs to be. The gameplay doesn't really get repetitive because you'll always have new combinations of hard knocks active at a given time. Mission cards from the expansion help too

I haven't played that game but the card says that while it's exhausted you get its effect. It then says that the card doesn't un-exhaust normally, it has some other condition (I'm on my phone, the reply box is covering your post, and I have the memory of a goldfish) that you have to meet to un-exhaust it. So I'd guess that as long as the card was exhausted you would get its effect but if you ever un-exhaust in the you'd have to do whatever the game requires you to exhaust cards.

Hopefully that made sense, I literally just woke up

>second world country
that means they supported the USSR during the cold war.

>stupidity of their Planes, Trains, and Automobiles expansion box
It would be less stupid if Planes wasn't a godawful piece of shit, but yeah AEG has made some dumbass decisions over the years.

Thank you but I already found the solution. The wording is very poor, it should be written "if you decide to use this kind during an encounter, exhaust it after the setup of the encounter."
In other words, you decide if you want to use the card, you pay the cost in Threat tokens (the downer right corner) and you exhaust it during the encounter until either side wins the encounter.

Descent does have confusing wordings sometimes.

Rock on user

I've been waiting for BookDepository to restock on Descent for a while now, really want to get my hands on that game.

I know its already finished a reprint and its "On the boat" according to the FFG website, does anyone knows how fast bookdepo restocks stuff once they hit stores?

Honestly, the first (and only) time I've played it so far, it was for a one-shot test and I didn't find the game very fun and pretty constraining when you are the Dark Lord because you got 4 players against you alone and the heroes are pretty resilient, but I think this is probably because this more a "DM with his players" type of game and the introduction scenario really does seem to favor the players by a large margin.