EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

You first commander edition.

Old Thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Topic:
How good or bad was your first commander deck and how has it evolved over time.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=COuXWGwd65M
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/arcanis-the-omnipotent-competitive-combo/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/daretti-scrap-savant-competitive-control-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/many-birds-with-arms/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Not very good. My second deck shares a lot of cards with it but I may return to this as I get more relevant cards.

This guy. It was saproling tribal. I had fun but i broke it apart eventually. I forgot who was the next commander but it had red.

It was pretty terrible, but it had some cute stuff in it, Pariah for example. It was basically a voltron deck made with the shit I had lying around in those colors.

Later, it evolved into a Brion Stoutarm threaten & fling deck, and once I got an Aurelia it turned back into Boros tokens. I remade the Brion deck recently, better than before, and it's all right but I don't know if it's really as fun as Aurelia Boros tokens was, so I might remake it as that again. I've become kinda infamous in my playgroups for my favoritism of RW.

Mine was Zur, and it was awful, just a hodge podge of esper colored cards.

It morphed to a Sharuum combo deck but I couldn't make it fast/ consistent so I used Merieke Ri Berit to slow things down and control the board.

While having a steal/clone deck was fun I lacked viable win cons within my play group (7 different guys), so I moved back to Zur and made a pillowfort/voltron deck.

>the legendaries are going to be shit
Kill me.

It was made pretty much of uncommons and rares I had on hand, it wasn't really that coherent and didn't synergise that much with his abilities.

Needless to say, there are almost no cards which remain from the original in its current state, which is as a token generator with a shitload of anthems, cards which share combat tricks, and a bunch of equipments with a sunforger toolkit.

I mostly win when people ignore me, forget Iroas's second ability, I rebound a kill with Deflectig Palm/Wild Ricochet, or rush out the gates early and people can't keep up.

Still one of my favorite decks though.

kiddings?

Oh lord. My fantastic time running Teysa.

I didn't have any combos or anything with it. No infinite exile using silly color shifting. Just an absolute fuck ton of goats. So many goats died while I ran this deck.

I had so much goat generation/flicker in the deck. Lots of reanimator for the goat generators. A friend of mine offered to make me a playmat featuring Teysa holding a knife to goat's neck. Satan imagery featured prominently.

I declined because that seemed a bit graphic and I knew I wouldn't have the deck forever.

Wizards is finally allowing MonoW to be great.

My first commander was Chromium. This was back when you could only use the original elder dragons as generals.

Deck was effectively Esper goodstuff. I eventually switched this to Sharuum after the rule changed, but this dragon will always have a spot in my edh heart.

I really kinda wanna remake it, tho.

Would winding constrictor trigger on a planeswalker's plus abilities, or like doubling season, it has to be an effect, not a cost?

Also this is assuming you turned them into an artifact

I really, really, really like this guy. Not only is the card mechanically good, it's on-curve, versatile yet perfect for its color identity, simple, and I'm really digging the character of the flavor text (the guy is just trying to do his job). This is a well-designed card and I want a copy of it as soon as possible.

First and favorite

Pillowfort, keep opponents from attacking me while I build up enchantments and start churning out 10/10s

Pimped out most of it to be almost all foil, lots of power cards like crypt, damnation, serra's sanctum, and my only dual land via scrubland which i bought just for this deck

Good matchups against pretty much everything that isnt degenerate combo

It doesn't say "an effect" so yeah.

>I had so much goat generation
I got a kick out of this. What were your main goat generators?

Not him, but Trading Post is a popular one

My first EDH deck was Mimeoplasm. I found one discounted at Walmart because the oversized cards were missing and it was in the deck box. I fixed it up with stuff I got from Innistrad and that Christmas my mother got me the Graveborn deck. I wish I still had it it was a blast, but I've traded so much of it away.

If he's saying flicker, probably springjack shepherd

>Not him, but Trading Post is a popular one

That's the only one I knew of off the top of my head.I bet he used Springjack Shephard too, it spawns a 0/1 goat upon ETB.

built a mill deck. Everyone hated it.

I was going into EDH begrudgingly though so I wasn't interested in playing along.

>mfw ive converted all my 60 card decks into edh now

This guy's got it. This was before Trading Post existed. So I had tutors to get my Shepherd, flicker for the shepherd, and goat recursion. It was only one card but it nearly always found its way into play. It stuck with people.

Cards like Twilight Drover helped as well.

My first as well, though something about it all just didn't quite click with me. Could be that I didn't really have all that much to throw into the precog that made it all that better than it was. Could be that I'm not the kinda guy to use too many enchantments. Ah well.

Haven't played Commander for all that long (or MTG really for that matter), though. Pic related is what I've been rocking lately, fun to do all sorts of strange bullshit with.

This guy. It sucked. The curve was through the roof and it was made largely out of pack fodder and garbage cards that I inherited from a friend.

Now that I know what the fuck I'm doing with this format I'm considering rebuilding him

I just discovered this guy and he's not great but could he be decent for mono black good stuff?

Go og Drana. She was my first commander and in my low powered meta she reigned supreme. Ramp into her and eat everything. after that just black goodstuff.

I'm just trying to do something with cards I have on hand, I've got a ton of good mono b but I've never played it and only have 2 legendaries for it.

New Drana and that guy.

I could most likely proxy something but I've never done it before.

He can be very good, but it's easy to get BTFO.
>token player sacrifices 40 creatures.

Venser's Journal would be an auto include right?

Couldn't hurt, as well as blood artist and friends. Don't be afraid to use a double edged sword, just be careful with it.

Oh and Alhammeret's Archive would probably go well in it. Drawing two off of his trigger and increasing the potency of all your drain cards. Might as well throw in psychosis crawler and harvester of souls too.

youtube.com/watch?v=COuXWGwd65M
Opinions on this?

shit

go away desolator

garbage

Making a sliver hivelord edh deck is harder than I thought.

Des has gone pretty downhill recently. Still better than tumblr and reddit/10 youtube channels, but I can't really say he's better than nothing at all. He has no real talent at all for judging a card's power level, but insists that he's right about all his predictions.

You remembered to buy your foil playsets of cryptolith rite, right?

My first deck was actually two decks: this guy and Mogis, God of Slaughter. I built both of them when I was first interested in EDH, but no one else in my playgroup wanted to play it. Also, this was shortly after I got into the game so I had no solid deckbuilding knowledge.

Keranos was UR counterburn since I loved playing that in 60 card formats (even if I didn't play it right). The Mogis deck did better since I would constantly kill off creatures and force people to take 2 damage each turn.

I rebuilt Keranos a few more times. The last time was last year, and it was built out of a bunch of U and R cards I had lying around. It was definitely formidable---had a good curve, and I was never shut out of the game, but it didn't really do anything to win. I ended up selling the deck since I needed the money, and I wasn't personally attached to it.

haha. im great at pulling wins out of my ass.

I run haze of rage in my mizzix deck, which also has a talrand
Buyback mixed with other abilities is hilarious

I understand that spells resolve to the fullest of their ability but why do cards like pic related not get counters if one of the targets becomes illegal because their is only one instance of the word target

608.2b ...The spell or ability is countered if all its targets, for every instance of the word “target,” are now illegal

so are cards like hex basically shortcut version of
'destroy target creature
'destroy target creature'
'destroy target creature
'destroy target creature

sorry no judge thread

No
A card with your wording could target the same creature multiple times. Hex requires six different targets in order to be cast.

So, like, "Destroy target creature not already targeted by Hex" x6?

Basically, yeah.

meant for

>mfw my group is buying herald of leshrac for their black decks after seeing it in my gitrog deck

I took lands, I took artifacts, I took it all!
I kept it too with blink effects and the such.

This doesn't actually work. You eventually run out of green mana.

what color is a saproling?

tap the saps before you sac

Which Steam game would best teach me magic? I really want to learn how to play.

2014 - I hear it's the best
2015 - I hear they jew you with cards
Duels - It's free, haven't heard anything about it

601.2e The player determines the total cost of the spell. Usually this is just the mana cost. Some spells have additional or alternative costs. Some effects may increase or reduce the cost to pay, or may provide other alternative costs. Costs may include paying mana, tapping permanents, sacrificing permanents, discarding cards, and so on. The total cost is the mana cost or alternative cost (as determined in rule 601.2b), plus all additional costs and cost increases, and minus all cost reductions. If the mana component of the total cost is reduced to nothing by cost reduction effects, it is considered to be {0}. It can’t be reduced to less than {0}. Once the total cost is determined, any effects that directly affect the total cost are applied. Then the resulting total cost becomes “locked in.” If effects would change the total cost after this time, they have no effect. #

601.2f If the total cost includes a mana payment, the player then has a chance to activate mana abilities (see rule 605, “Mana Abilities”). Mana abilities must be activated before costs are paid. #

601.2g The player pays the total cost in any order. Partial payments are not allowed. Unpayable costs can’t be paid.

Activating mana abilities (ashnod's) happen before tapping them to conspire/convoke.

duels is utter shit in any way other than the "I have no clue how the basics of the game work and no one to teach me" way
if that's what you're looking for though, it's perfectly fine

Should I just get 2014? What makes it better, in your opinion? Which one do people play more (if they play at all?).

you're going to be making 4 saprolings every cast
you'll use 2 each time to conspire, tap two of them for convoke, then sac 2 that you tapped to convoke/conspire the previous casting of

Oh nevermind. I just figured it out.

*To make infinite mana
Each time, you either get 1 untapped creature, or 1 colorless mana

cards you can't play without the board killing you before your next turn

It will never stop making me mad how badly Ruhan is in wrong colors. A big dumb brute who attacks randomly every turn? Jeskai? What the fuck is blue or white about about that? It should be Jund or even just Rakdos colors.

White has combat-related stuff I guess

I agree that it'd be better without both blue and white, but maybe Mardu wouldn't be so bad. I dunno, they did weird shit in that first Commander deck cycle

Zurgo or Thraximundar for voltron?

Want to run human tribal what do?

with the number of dwarves and vehicles in aether revolt could we be able to build a semi-decent depala deck?

>Your first commander
Pic related.

>How good or bad was your first commander deck and how has if evolved over time?
It was basically a huge elaborate excuse to get all five Praetors into play, which for the meta at the time (which consisted of one Animar precon) was crazy strong, but in hindsight was just brainless goodstuff. I ended up dismantling it and countless decks since then, though I've settled down on that and got a few good solid decks I've had for a while and some newer ones.

new sigarda

Zurgo. Spam board wipes like they're going out of style.

2014 is rad. The Eldrazi deck on there is fun as hell.

I'm seeing a lot of recommendation for the Devastation/Obliterate/Jokulhaups combo with Zurgo but that land destruction seems a little too much "anti-fun" ya know?

I mean, you don't have to go for the lands. Think more stuff like Wrath of God, Tragic Arrogance, stuff like that to wipe creatures out of the way so you can smash face

my first legendary creature was probably one from ravnica or nefarox, my first commander deck was derevi

I'd rebuild him. Shu Yun is tons of fun if you like playing something fast.

Steal your creature, hit you with it, sacrifice it before you get it back, get something out of it probably.

I've been building and tuning Kraj for four years.

Originally he was just an excuse to play Lorthos and other fatties but eventually shifted to being the most ridiculous things you could do with +1/+1's

Before the end of the year I'll be using the Activated Abilities of Artifact Planeswalker Creatures

>probably
Why leave it to chance?

If you use liquimetal coating on a planeswalker and then ensoul artifact it, and then put a +1/+1 on it, is Kraj a planeswalker?

If i remember right no. which means he can use his planeswalker abilities an infinite amount of times per turn because the rule stating otherwise is attached to the planeswalker card type not the abilities kraj gains

Ok, have that already, what else?

But those require loyalty counters, so he can't.

112.5. Some activated abilities are loyalty abilities. Loyalty abilities follow special rules: A player may activate a loyalty ability of a permanent he or she controls any time he or she has priority and the stack is empty during a main phase of his or her turn, but only if no player has previously activated a loyalty ability of that permanent that turn. See rule 606, "Loyalty Abilities."

>JTMS
>Liquimetal Coating
>Ensoul Artifact
>Kraj
>Brainstorm your entire deck

No, however a permanent may activate a loyalty ability once per turn to gain a loyalty counter.
Therefore if a planeswalker is a creature.

they changed the wording from counting only to planeswalkers to counting the ability itself.

So now he just becomes a 0 starting loyalty unattackable planeswalker.

that's absolutely wack, I love it

Which is why I'm still playing Kraj to this day, you never know what they'll print

especially if you get a proper + ability like Karn to add 4 loyalty a turn.
Can get within most other planeswalkers ultimte range in 2 turns.

>How good or bad was your first commander deck and how has it evolved over time.
Nahiri. I still have it and work on it. It's mono white so you can only imagine how shit it was at the start when I got back into Magic with EDH, I started with New Phyrexia and fell off with Theros so getting back in my card pool was still small. Now it does pretty okay since the deck keeps threats down with constant wraths and tokens beating face.

Seeing the new Dwarf legendary and the spell that puts 3 servos and lets me cast a 3 cmc spell for free has got me pumped though. Honestly the deck runs pretty well right now and is only going to get better over time. It's the one deck I'll never take apart.

It was pretty good, but nowhere near the beast it is now.
Also list:
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/arcanis-the-omnipotent-competitive-combo/
To the fag that either baited or was legit buttmad about cyclonic rift, you wouldn't like playing this:
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/daretti-scrap-savant-competitive-control-1/

>that arcanis deck
2/10, I'm kind of disappointed user. You have all your money tied up in like 7 stupid cards, and the rest of your deck is just... boring. I mathed it out, you spent (assuming you have these cards) 575.80 of the 856.43 budget on your 3 fetches, mox diamond, mana drain, force of will, and mana crypt. I'm just disappointed user, with all that money I expect more creativity.

Well yeah. It's made to win. What else expensive could I get. I was thinking of all the playable extra turn spells but that's already dicking people more than they're getting dicked.
If I want fun I'll play Shu Yun.
Jos oot vertti kys .

Here's creativity for under $300 revel in my decklist!

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/many-birds-with-arms/

hey its me your new commander.

>Well yeah. It's made to win
Not really. It's made to be a pubstomp deck that instantly folds to anything actually good. It's like watching someone who just googled "good counterspell deck" slam whatever popped up into a shell around a combo you didn't even include in the deck.

Like I said, I'm just baffled and disappointed people like you exist.

Not bad, not bad. Your mana base is completely wack, but that can easily be fixed in a variety of ways such as:

>1) Just cutting the stupid things that enter tapped but don't give you a huge benefit
>2) Throw in some sexy basic land ramp
>3) Amulet of Vigor

6/10 bait, i bit

I dunno whether to run in Atraxa or Meren or both.

Wow really boring keep printing uninspiring trash thanks wizards

No he is not but he looks real nice on my curve.

Which part is bait user? Go look at your decklist, you didn't even include mind over matter. I bet you don't even own these cards.

It just pisses me off when people come around here swinging their e-peen with nothing to back it up. At least be a competent deckbuilder if you're not going to do anything interesting.