Warhammer 40,000 General /40kg/

Being Tau is like Being Black edition

>Previous shithouse
>Freshest Rules in Epub (Use Readium for PC or Kobo on Android)
mega.nz/#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ!2tgBUTYI

>Not always current PDFs:
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ

>List Builder if BS doesn't add enough bloat for you
webapplications-webroster.rhcloud.com/rc/web/#/rosterCreator

>As current as the FAQs get
games-workshop.com/en-GB/Rules-Errata

>40K 7th Edition Quick Reference Sheets:
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4104995/Games/7edRef.pdf

>Forge World Book Index:
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Forge_World_and_Apocalypse_Rules_Index

>The Black Library (Eldar insert here):
mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q!c4pGAJDb

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mhqWHIq-aZw
youtube.com/watch?v=hU0-fb6OgyA
imgur.com/a/ViZUj
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

FIRST FOR TITANICUS

That's 30k.

That's it. I'm sick of all this "Master Crafted Flashlight" bullshit that's going on in the 40k system right now. Lasguns deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.
I should know what I'm talking about. I myself received a lasgun when I completed my training (that's about 40 minutes) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even melt through slabs of plasteel with my lasgun.
Adeptus Mechanicus smiths spend seconds using an STC to make a single lasgun and don't even bother testing it to produce the finest guns known to the Imperium.
Lasguns are thrice as shooty as bolt weapons and thrice as accurate for that matter too. Anything a vulcan mega bolter can shoot through, a lasgun can shoot through better. I'm pretty sure a lasgun could easily vaporize a Carnifex with an Extended Carapace with a simple trigger pull.
Ever wonder why Abaddon never succeeded in taking Cadia? That's right, he was too scared to fight the disciplined Imperial Guard and their lasguns of destruction. Even in the 13th black crusade, Chaos soldiers targeted the Guardsmen with the lasguns first because their killing power was feared and respected.
So what am I saying? Lasguns are simply the best weapon that the universe has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in the 40k system. Here is the stat block I propose for Lasguns:
(Lasgun) 72' Range S9 AP1 Assault 9 Melta Blast Sniper Rending Lance Ignores Invulnerable Saves
(Lascannon) 96' Range S:D/D/D AP1/1/1 Assault 9+2D6 Apocalyptic Mega-blast Barrage
Now that seems a lot more representative of the dakka power of lasguns in real life, don't you think?
tl;dr = Lasguns need to do more damage in 40k, see my new stat block. (Or, failing that, the rules for the Lucian Pattern Hellgun in the Rogue Trader RPG.)

Pic related, my lasgun is literraly as big as a space marine.

My sides have been hit by a lasgun and destryed.

Are Death Company worth using? How do you kit yours out?

I am confused how a beam of light is causing such a huge area of destruction.

maybe you should look down the barrel of your lasgun to make sure it's clear of debris

Jump Packs, Bolt Pistol and Chainsword/Power Sword. Maybe one Power Fist in the unit.

OK, now I see spots, that's about it.

Lasguns are fine, they are in an army that has neither psychic powers nor real CC units. For optimum strength, it's ruleset requires a gamble for FRFSRF which has a 1/4 chance to fail every single turn. Also requires the use of Commissars to maximize it's average Leadership. I've seen a couple of posts of people saying the 'Fire on my Target' order option (ignores cover) is issued by junior officers. It's actually for senior officers. Twice as hard to pull off as naysayers claim.

In my experiences of playing with Lasguns, the Emperor's Shield Company was undoubtedly the poorest showing of the unit. The extra shot option doesn't kill as much as you think it should and not moving a turn, to pull it off, can cost you the game. Also, you generally need to balance out every blobsquad with some decent amounts of MSU units or you will eventually get worn down/shut down in the later parts of the game. Even in an army of giant squads, MSU/copious wounds still matter.

But please, don't just take my word for it. Any time another whiner about Lasguns shows up, clear, empirical evidence is usually the best form of persuasion.

So I present to you a Frontline Gaming video, a supposedly "competitive" list of the Emperor's Shield and 2 Conscript platoons, getting basically TABLED by Space Marines.
youtube.com/watch?v=mhqWHIq-aZw

Are Lasguns too weak? Well, the evidence of this video conclusively proves they aren't.

And a chainsword is enough? Seems like you'd want to sink some more points to take advantage of the huge attack count.

What are you working on, /40kg/?
Played any games?
Plan to?

This is tonight's progress on my venom. Only 3 more highlight layers to go. It might be the last thing I get to paint before my 40k point 5v5 this weekend.

boys before toys, you can sink a lot of points into them

you sir bit the bait

>they are in an army that has neither psychic powers
But we do?

Power Swords are ideal but I prefer the look of chainswords and spent the extra points elsewhere.

That's it. I'm sick of all this "Dead Psyker" bullshit that's going on in 40k right now. The EMPRAH deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.

I should know what I'm talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine EMPRAH on terra for 100,000,000,000,000 Inocent souls (that's about $200) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even fry slabs of solid steel with my EMPRAH.

Terran psykers spend millennia working on a single EMPRAH and die up to a million times to produce the finest leader known to mankind.

The EMPRAH are thrice as sharp as chaos and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything a Heretic can cut through, the EMPRAH can cut through better. I'm pretty sure the EMPRAH could easily anihalate a chaos lord wearing terminator armor using only mind bullets.

Ever wonder why Hurlon never bothered conquering Medieval Europe? That's right, he were too scared to fight the disciplined EMPRAH of destruction. Even in The siege of terra, Horrus targeted the EMPRAH last because his killing power was feared and respected.

So what am I saying? The EMPRAH are simply the best psyker that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in the 40k system. Here is the stat block I propose for the EMPRAH:

The EMPRAH ws:9001 bs:7 s:40 t:40 w:8 i:5 a:20 ld:14 sv:2+/1+* Eternal warrior, Mind war, The horror, mind bullets, psychic monstrosity, power hammer and invunruble save.

Now that seems a lot more representative of the power of the EMPRAH in real life, don't you think?

tl;dr = the God Emperor of Mankind need to do more damage in 40k, see my new stat block.

youtube.com/watch?v=hU0-fb6OgyA

>literally copypasting dead memes from 1d4
Welcome to your first day on Veeky Forums, now get the fuck out.

So I'm looking into getting into the game, would Genestealer Cult be a good choice for a new player or should I go for something like Deathwatch or just normal Marines?

Just how Mad Max can you go with the Genestealers? Alternatively, how Vietcong can I go? Would be fun to put them against my friend's Catachan force.

>First day
>Know about dead pasta

choose one

You want a mix, as some of them are going to die.

It's got to be a lotta fun kitbashing actual cars

it's not as embarrassing as who clearly missed the joke

Of course it was.

I've always wanted to make a Mad Max themed mechanized infantry IG force, but now that Genestealer's they look like they'd be a lot better for that kind of idea than the IG would be.

How do Genestealers compare to Orks?

Would anyone else like to make tongue-in-cheek psychological evaluations of the player base and their chosen armies?

The weeaboo Tau player has been done to death so I'm picking on women first.

Hypothesis:
Women are drawn towards Tyranids because of biological instinct; The need to reproduce and nurture. They're drawn towards Dark Eldar because of psychological similarities; Confidence, dominance, and vanity.

Evidence:
The Legion of Everblight faction of "Hordes" is most popular amongst females because it contains the forementioned aspects of the Tyranid and Dark Eldar armies.

Nothing. I've forbidden myself from doing any more work on models until I build the Warhound Titan I've left in its box for about a month because I'm too lazy/scared of fucking up to pin the fucker.

Last weekend I played Planetary Onslaught or whatever the book is called. A Stronghold Assault mission that was 1v2, Sisters vs Skitarii allied with Eldar. The game type was new for us, and we had some laughs. Of note, my Brightlance platform rolled 1s all fucking game, and I have never been more glad that I bought Ammo Stores in my life, because when it rerolled it hit, and when it hit, it scored nothing but 6s.

I have another one this weekend. Same book, different players. I'm bringing a Knight and some Inquisition Stormtroopers to support the Sisters player attacking a (Traitor) Guard stronghold.

Your Venom's looking good dude. By the way, how do you go about priming and painting the canopy? And what do you do about putting it on its base when it's done? Do you glue it? If so, how do you transport it?

That's pasta too, lurk more newfriend.

someone posted it on one of FB groups

what are those?

basically 40k 1st edition

Rogue Trader, the original 40k sourcebook. Looks like it's reedited and rereleased like the rumors said. Now to immediately buy a copy.

wait, why are they re-releasing 1st edition? oh shit, i'm actually gonna be able to play it. are we gonna get some retro supplements/codex/formations? i'm excited

no, it's warhammer world exclusive, which means no support

I leave the canopy and cockpit free of obstructions and just prime it all black. The balustrade on the back takes a while to paint, but I just edge highlight like everything on it. I very minorly paint the pilot and controls and then glue on the "glass". The actual grate on the back of the canopy is under coated in mournfang brown and then rune lord brass with agrax and silver drybrush. It sticks right onto the base so no need to glue it. I actually just use a large Tupperware tub. Looking to get foam, though.

damn, guess i gotta take a trip out to the other side of the pond soon to grab a copy

>warhammer world exclusive

Well, I'm sure people are gonna make a good amount of money selling them online.

depends how much amerifats are willing to spend on hardcover versions of terrible rules which they can download for free

Well seeing as Veeky Forums as a collective treats RT as fucking gospel I imagine more than a few clueless autists are going to pay insane prices.

>terrible rules
They were basically just as balanced as any other edition of 40k.

>why would anyone want a physical copy of something when they can have a shitty PDF scan?

I would like a physical copy of RT, but I'm not gonna pay eBay scalper money for one.

Do the new Genestealers get armored limos?

THATS SO COOL HOLY FUCK.

Working on painting my Marines, would love some feedback since I'm pretty new with painting

Also going to put some of my tyranids together tomorrow, I've amassed 600 of the little buggers and I've been putting them off because time/commitment issues

No, they have mining trucks and Cult Ambush instead.

Though there is that one 3rd party Eurosite that sells some snazzy remakes and some ridiculously cheesecakey models. I mean, literally nudes in some cases...

Best way to equip DA company veterans?

Working on a couple Rhinos right now. One is primed, the other is primed plus has its first coat of paint. I don't feel like painting tonight though so I'm just reading 40kg and working my way through the rulebook instead.

Thinking of adding a landspeeder to my Space Marine army. Should I go regular speeder or check out the storm? Are scouts worth it?

Sorry if these questions are dumb, I'm new as shit.

moar highlights, reasonably tidy though. Colour scheme could benefit from a colour thats not green too.

What's even the difference between this thread and ? Same thread names, but different tags and vaguely different content. Both are active. What gives?

I got chaos minis tho

That thread is at bump limit.

dildos

That one is well past the bump limit and quietly autosaging into archival. Use your eyes.

Bolt pistol and chainswords, one with a powerfist and stormshield, Sarge with two plasma pistols.

>when the squad wants to pose but you gotta go fight some deamons

>It's my first day on Veeky Forums

No.

Yes, I love them.

>3rd party Eurosite that sells some snazzy remakes
Maybe I could proxy them as Chimera substitutes. Make a little Gangster wagon for my Patriarch to wheel around in.

Will 8th ed make this game fun again? At the moment I haven't played a game of 40k in almost 3 years.

I'm tired, didn't notice, and it's my first time in these threads. I've seen on other boards two "communities" with identical topics with different posters because they don't get along with each other so figured I'd ask. Thanks for the response.

Fuck you, though.

>why would anyone want a scan when they can buy a physical copy made from a scan

Thanks mate, feedback is always helpful.

Highlighting is always nicer but damn my hands are shaky. I was thinking a nice dark blue, perhaps on the weapons and maybe replace the red seals with blue seals, would help with the colour contrast.

Would you believe me that some guy sold me 50 Metal Grey Knights and 2 dreadnoughts for 100 dollarydoos?
I use them as my First Company Veterans

I have $150 what are the essentials to start a guard army? Start collecting + armoured assault? What do i get? I want the most bang for my buck!

ebay rogue trader is cheaper than GW's re-release

and the newly printed version of old scans doesn't come with all the expansion books

8th ed is just "minor rules tweaks", likely just a new rulebook with all of the info from the faqs and with a fullblown pricetag.

If you don't like the game right now you're not going to like it when 8th edition drops.

You knows? If everything gets updated at the same time there's hope, but if we keep getting trickle feed codexes we're going to keep having the same problems.

>the canopy
>just prime it all black
So how do you cover up the parts of the window you don't want covered? Maybe this sounds sarcastic but I'd love to know. The best I can think of is tape and that could get messy.

>I just edge highlight like everything on it
Dedication here.

>It sticks right onto the base so no need to glue it
Handy to know. Thanks dude.

They look like their profile is too long, but I'd allow it.

>Fuck you, though.
What do you expect from a Satanposter?

Genestealers Expansion when?

HNNNNNG DAT MODEL THO

where can I get that limo and how does its size compare with a rhino?

Start Collecting! plus Armored Assault will get you an HQ, a few squads of dudes, and a coupla tanks which will put you well on the way to getting an IG army started.

You'll have a lot of models to paint, but you won't have a lot of actual points. IG isn't the greatest army to start with because you need to buy a lot to get up to a decent amount of points for playing other people. It's still a fun army to run though.

Have you thought about Space Marines at all? They're easy to play, have a ton of different rules for different chapters you can choose to use if you want, and are easier to paint.

What are objective markers and why do I need them?

>ebay rogue trader is cheaper than GW's re-release

Well do post some links. Cheapest I can find is almost 70€ with S&H.

OOOOOOOH. I was thinking canopy as in the part on the back where the gunner stands. My bad. For the "glass" I used imperial primer to brush on and the name abaddon black and then edge highlight it like I would the rest of the venom. Here's my first venom: imgur.com/a/ViZUj

And then paint* phoneposting right now.

If they released Limos now, what would they be? I imagine AV10 (AV9 at rear), HP2, Fast transport vehicles for 5 models with four fire points. Could be okay at 20-30 points, especially if you could take a squadron to carry a big unit of cultists.

What about the shorter one?

I was thinking of putting it on bigger wheels or treads or something like that to go more with my Mad Max idea.

"minor rules tweaks" like what, cutting down on some of the random and giving us 3"+1d6" charge range? Things that would actually help their fucking game instead of bogging it down with more dice rolls?

>How do I start IG?
>Try Marines
Dude no.

It depends how you want to go. The only real difference between SC! and AA is that one box gives you a MBT and a support model who can handily double as your HQ until you get a better one, while the other gives you an APC for your ten-man squad, respectively.

If you want to start playing, and start now, the SC box is the better deal, since it includes a formation in the box that you can use to start playing instantly, albeit with an army in the bracket of about 250 points.

If a heavy tank and/or blobsquad army sounds appealing, SC! is the way to go, as it gives you more models, a Commissar, and of course the Russ.

If you want to go mech then don't bother with SC! because Chimeras are all, so you'll want AA.

As MarineAnon said, one of each will start you on the path to a fairly balanced Guard army if you've no overarching idea in your head right now. If you build up both boxes, you can play the game as-is.

They are whatever you want them to be, but they are usually on 28mm bases or similar size. You need them to play missions as most missions involve using them as tag posts to score points.

And maybe taking D strength weaponry out of non apocalypse games?

Biggest event since the fantasy end times and still no leaks yet?

What's wrong with you people?! Get to work now.

I read that as fleshlight

We've known about it for nearly a year my man, well before GW announced anything on it. If you don't think we're doing well enough at collecting leaks then go do it yourself you worthless sponge.

I still can't figure this out since I hear conflicting answers. With special characters or characters with special wargear that have a radius of buffs, can they give out those buffs in a transport? I heard you measure the bubble from the hatch.

>brush-on primer
Fuck. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and do it, but I really do hate that stuff.

>it's former Black Heart user
Oh, I know you. Nice to see you're making progress with your new scheme. Unless I'm just blind and retarded. I'm tired. Thanks for sharing your secrets either way.

The site has a few pics of their 28mm scale models next to some of the cars, but I actually don't have any Chimeras so I can't eye one up and give you an estimate. Either way, it should be alright. A pimpmobile is basically a free pass.

> guy says he wants the most bang for his buck
> not gonna get that with $150 in imperial guard units

The Start Collecting box is great but it's barely outside of the range of a killteam army on points. IG is a great faction but if the guy is new to 40k it's important that he know what he's getting into, IG has a pretty large money and time requirement compared to other armies.

If you're dead set on spending $150 on IG than the start collecting box and the armored assault box will come out to $140 (GW pricing), but you'll still need a sprue cutter, a hobby knife, glue, and paints so if that's your hard budget it might be better to get the start collecting box and worry about armored assault later.

GSC has a higher learning curve than most armies, don't listen to what others might meme about that.

You're squishy, have a bunch of unique rules and plenty of special rule bubbles to deal with.

If you're cool with having a potentially rough learning curve along with the amazing turn one wins on occasion the GSC can be super rewarding.

Marines are pretty simple and reliable but I refuse to condone more marine wankery.

Is this from us, or /k/opypasta?

Either you measure from any point on the vehicle's hull unless it says otherwise, or you don't measure at all because you MUST measure from the model and the model isn't on the field when he's in a box. I believe which one you go with depends on the wording of the rules.

>being this much of a redshirt
Modelling supplies are relatively cheap if you don't buy the overpriced GW brand shit, so it's really only paints you'll be shelling out for. In any case, it pushes my buttons that your advice for someone starting up an army is to start a different army. Yes, some are harder to start than others, but it's much better to pick an army you're really interested in and tough it out than pick up something you don't care about just because it's easy.

Radius buffs don't work from a transport. So long as any model that gives a radius is inside they're considered not on the table.

>70 cultists
>mark of khorne
>helcult formation
>helbrute dies
>suddenly 280 fucking attacks on the charge, rerolling all of them on fearless pissed off humies

this will probably end terribly but man the idea of rolling literally hundreds of dice really tickles my jimmies. has anybody done this with any success? I know KDK has some kind of cultist formation that allows them to respawn, but is that better than just going with a fearless MoK helcult?

>former Black Heart user
Feels cool to be recognized, but, yeah, I still don't know what I'm going to do for their new fluff, I'll probably have it so that they use Vect's colors as a front to "prove" that they're "loyal" while they actually scheme to eventually bring him down behind the scenes. But what I have in my original pic is only the first of 4 stages of highlighting.

I've always wanted a droppod heavy Salamanders army, but recently I've been really considering Deathwing army after I learned they had their own codex (I was basically living under a rock and just got back into civilization recently so almost all the 7th Ed stuff is new to me) because I like the look of them with their Skyranger looking thing that's basically a cheap Caestus Assault Ram, which is something I really wanted for my Salamanders.
I had also considered IG or Orks.

Basically I liked the idea of having a fast assaulty army that gives me tactical options of deepstriking and such. Genestealers look like they would be fun in the same way.

It was in the FAQ, units in transports are effectively not on the battlefield and thus buff bubbles don't work.

>plasma cannon sentinel squads
yes or no

Sorry if good advice "pushes your buttons", friendo

I don't like them but they could be okay I guess.
Try Haemotrope Reactors and post results.

>user picks up Guard, plays Kill Team for a while, enjoys it, buys more models, builds up a cool army he likes
>user buys Marines, doesn't care much for them, doesn't end up finishing painting and isn't all that enthusiastic about gaming with them or building his force
I've been down this road and I've seen others walk it too. You have to do an army you can put your heart into or it just won't be engaging.

guy who started with IG a year ago here
go fuck yourself there's no other faction i'dd rather paint or play
i'd get a CCS to
oh and don't forget , you can buy special weapons of bits sellers online if you want plastics or you can get the metal ones of GW's webstore , you're going to need them since the only plastics that come with plasma's, heavy flamers and meltas is the company command squad and it has only 1 of each
that is assuming you're going cadians ofcourse
welcome to the guard son!

Don't buy GW glue, green stuff or tools, ever. They are dramatically overpriced and you can get either more product for less total cost (in the case of consumables), or the same thing for less (in the case of tools) from somewhere like hobby lobby.

Do buy GW paint, their paints are honestly very good products and their technical and texture paints are especially legit.

You will want the following shit to put stuff together with: Nippers, x-acto knife, needle files, pin vice and bits, polystyrene cement, thin superglue (brush applicator preferable).

That is upsetting. I thought the rule book said to measure from the hull regarding things that in the transport but aren't shooting. I dunno why they would faq it that way for radius buffs. What's the point then? I wanted to take kurovs Aquila but the only way to make it work is to have the squishy ccs unit out in the open.

Not that user, but whats a good substitute for the GW green stuff? Cheers

So Veeky Forums, is there an edition of 40k that wasn't broken in half?
>RT
???
>2nd
I don't know. Space Wolves AssCannon terminator spam? What were Eldar doing at this time?
>3rd
Rhino Rush and CSM
>4th
Fish of fucking Fury
>5th
Leafblower and the Wardex
>6th
Helturkies followed by Riptide and the dawn of formations
>7th
Formations 2: Electric Boogaloo, now with buffed Wraithknights and Invisibility, Scatbikes, Horrors...
>8th
????????

No one is forcing him to buy an army he doesn't like you worthless autist, if you paid attention the guy just asked if he thought about space marines at all