mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

> Last Thread
Which class would you add to 5e? Keep in mind that psionics are already returning to DnD in shape of mysics, and a lot of character concepts are subclasses now.

Other urls found in this thread:

lordbyng.net/inspiration/
wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2365/
docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#
dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/dd-survey-results-summary
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First of all, you're dumb for making the players to roll stats in the first place. Now, the wisest thing you can do is saying:
> Guys, I really fucked up, and we should all work together to fix this mess. Can you remake your characters in pointbuy 27?

Honestly, if you don't have to approach them, you can step back and eldritch blast instead. It's way less effective, but a party stepping back and making ranged attacks is much more effective than a party that just wanders into melee and takes a load of hits.

Most monsters are most effective at melee range, so forcing the enemies to dash up to you is generally a good strategy to save yourself for a round.

It's unlikely all monsters will get into range in one turn unless it's very claustrophobic.

You can also move away from monsters of your own accord to force them to re-engage melee with you.

To be honest, it works best if you're using a 1d10 polearm since you can attack with reach and avoid opportunity attacks and reposition yourself in front of a teammate or something, but you can't quite do that with a quarterstaff. Even so, careful positioning should ensure you get a few attacks with it every encounter.

If only.
Fuck DMG flying boots that work 8 hours a day or something ridiculous.

It'll probably be wasted somewhat. You can often persuade people without good charisma checks, for example, and struggle to convince monsters that would rip you apart. Unless your DM runs 'gold is XP' or milestones, you want to blindly kill everything you see.

>Which class would you add to 5e?

I mean what iconic archetypes are missing? We have the weapony guy, the holy guy, the sneaky guy, the magicy guy, the devily guy, the shapeshifter, the warrior poet...

Maybe the talky/charmy guy, but you can already do that with a bard or wizard

Warlord. Warlord is missing. Since when you try to do warlord as a fighter archetype, you get a mess that is Purple Dragon Knight.

>take battlemaster
>change the maneuver list to stuff that heals and supports your party instead of increasing your damage

HURP DE DURP

Play a charisma-based paladin with the 'give everybody a load of temp HP' feat.

All those team buffs.

Yeah, EB is great for solving problem two. I think the lesser use quarterstaves get from it is intended as some kind of balancing factor.

You can always consider the +2 AC from the shield a side benefit for not getting a fourth attack all the time, I guess.

Even if you put them down to 3.3 attacks a round average or something, they still have good AC, burst damage, auras and all those paladin goodies.

Also I guess if they don't want to take EB they can use their action to cast bless or use sacred weapon or something in preparation for a melee fight. I think agonizing blast is probably a good invocation to take because it gives the paladin a decent ranged attack if they have to resort to ranged combat rather than charging in alone and getting beaten up by everything that would otherwise be denied attacks.

Personally I give my players the choice-

You can point buy, or you can roll. Admittedly I also rule soft caps at 6 and 16, but it's worked out alright so far.

Maneuvering strike, rally, distracting strike, and commander's strike, except they mostly suck and don't change that you're a fighter.

A warlord would be like a cleric with an emphasis on short rest resources.

woops thread was over, i meant:
lordbyng.net/inspiration/

What's the point of spell components that don't have a GP cost?

Some sort of Alchemist/Artificer inventor style class that's kinda like a gish but it's all built into the gear/items you make.

What are some easy motivations for beginners?

For situations where the PC that doesn't need a spell focus but the DM may want a situatoin where they're essentially 'disarmed' of their spells.

Does anyone of the Mind Flayer armor concept art?

Flavor, but mostly jokes. Hope you have your magnifying glass for sunbeam. Did you pack enough legume seeds for gust of wind? I think there may be some intentional choices about what does or does not use them too.

Can the squire see combat at all? If not and my DM decides to let my squire fight (flaky friends thus short on players) How is this meant to be/should be handled?

Pretty clueless on how the mechanics of this are supposed to work.

So hey, if you twin Witch Bolt onto two guys, do you use your action on future turns to deal 1d12 to both of them or just one of them?

Some of those weapons seem like they have too much faff and not enough reason to exist, but some of those are actually quite nice. Say, 'you can shave your hair as a ritual once every 10 days when you have long enough hair to power up the weapon until the end of a long rest' was an interesting one.

Some properties such as 'leaves no blood/traces' behind seemed like they'd have way too niche a use unless you're a criminal. If it was a little broader somehow, such as keeping the target vaguely quiet, players might be able to think of a stealth mission use for it.

Depends on how much the DM hates fun, but I would think yes.

Fun?

The first 78 pages of my PHB fell out, and I don't have any Elmer's Glue to put it back in

Complain to WotC. No really. They have a replacement program for faulty bindings on an early print run.

>they do not fight for you

squires will not fight period
they won't even enter dungeons or caves and are probably not too keen to even wait outside

>just one of them
Is the RAW answer. Your DM might be nice, because Witch Bolt would be a shitty spell even allowing for the favorable ruling.

>Why so few druid PCs?

Because unless you're really keen on turning into Animals or dropping a sackload of Marmots on dudes there's always Nature Cleric. Mainly Druids suffer from a more limited spell list so if you're going to play a caster unless you're aiming to turn into a Bat or a Dolphin then your cocks broke and you've got gay nigger dicks in your ears and your head in your ass there's casters with better spell lists and with a little refluffing can make pretty decent "Druids".

>>Chaotic Neutral Bard/Rogue who still thinks RandumbXDDD is cool and considers pansexuality to be a character trait.
i am truely sorry for your lots

amateur maps like this make me hard.

wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2365/

Click Dungeons & Dragons, read.

Honestly you can just pull from backgrounds in the PHB and such but
>I have been wronged in some way and wish to seek the means for restitution
>I have wronged someone and seek a way to resolve their pursuit of me
>I seek a particular kind of knowledge, either in general or a specific artifact
>I am on the run from the law
>I am the law

And the classic
>I'd like to retire fat, rich, and known for being a badass

> I need a lot of money, fast, and I'm too principled to rob merchants on the road.

Nice Quads Satan, but what if my DM decides to let my squire fight (he's hunted towards it), how would that be handled?

I recently superglued my pages back in and that's working fine BUT
You might be able to get it replaced, as people have mentioned.

I'm waiting to see if the pages fall out again to try and get a refund. Although I'm considering getting a second copy anyway because nobody at the table owns the books aside me, fuck.

Thanks for the help, I'll get around to it
I'd rather have a PHB where the pages are falling out than no PHB at all for the time being

> He has stats of a Guard from DMG.
> Not only he's useless in combat, he's a fucking liability, as you must ensure he doesn't die when a vampire farts too loud.
It's how my DM would do it.

...he would create a statblock and play the NPC in combat, just like anything else? Probably CR 1/8 (guard or similar).

Pathfinder has this same issue, really. Personally I believe that it's just not a very popular character style, since not a lot of people have fantasies about being a treehugger

>I have been wronged in some way and wish to seek the means for restitution
Made a dwarf rogue that wanted to restore his family's home. Human family, not related. Think Alfred while Bruce is still a kid.
>>I have wronged someone and seek a way to resolve their pursuit of me
Got mixed up with a marshal's prisoner exchange and now our necks are on the block if we don't get them back.
>>I am on the run from the law
My ranger's party is saving this for a backup plan.
>>I am the law
Ranger used to be this.
>And the classic
>>I'd like to retire fat, rich, and known for being a badass
Made a halfling bard with this motivation for exploring a megadungeon. It's classic for a reason.

Hey guys, need a quick brainstorm.

Starting a campaign soon where the PCs begin at a university where they have just completed their training.

I want to develop a rival group of students that are like Team Rocket in that they would be malicious but are just too inept and instead come off as bumbling and annoying.

What are some good pranks the rival group can try to pull on the PCs? I especially need ones that have funny backfiring potential.

are there even ANY benefits to forcing your squire to fight

>weak as shit, untrained
>when he dies, other retainers run away
>you get a reputation for being an asshole
>best case scenario he steals your exp while providing nearly no actual help in combat

>like Team Rocket

PIT

TRAPS

ALL

DAY

EVERY

DAY

!!

Never let the PCs walk without wondering if there's a fucking pit trap a few steps ahead of them

>First of all, you're dumb for making the players to roll stats in the first place.

Nope. Rolling for stats is perhaps the only interesting or unique mechanic that 5e has left to offer. Most other systems have abandoned it, for understandable reasons. But D&D, being a structured class-based system rather than a point-buy min-max masturbation exercise, can afford to have rolling for stats.

See if you don't roll for stats, you are saying "I am incapable of enjoying a roleplaying game unless our characters are all of the exact same power level, which isn't even possible given 5e's (lessened, to be fair) caster supremacy."

So basically, you have no excuse for using point buy unless you are doing Adventurer's League. If you are using it in a home campaign that is fine as well, I suppose, but if you act like it is the best and only possible way of chargen, you are equivalent to those dumb cunts who think companies should have to be 50% black people when they only make up 13% of our population.

I had a new player quit my group on the first session when I told him we were rolling for stats. Last week my friend was getting his house fumigated so we played at the FLGS in my city. We saw him there, actually, and he was harassing another D&D group playing there as if trying to join. They seem to have rejected him, as he walked away sadly, bought a candy bar and a few dice, then left the store.

Point buy is for fucking faggots.

>just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in

Seconding this

Spoony, you're off your meds again.

this

Also, lots of cliffside battles where team rocket can fall off. Or potentially have explosive traps that they'll trigger themselves

>looks like we're blasting off agaaain

I feel the issue is that wild shape is daunting because you have to know the monsters you want to transform into well, and those aren't in the PHB.
Also, you simply might not want a druid that turns into animals. While non-moon druid is actually pretty okay for that, not using the feature feels like a bit of a waste. They really should have designed wild shape as an archetype feature.

>you are equivalent to those dumb cunts who think companies should have to be 50% black people when they only make up 13% of our population.

>I am incapable of communicating without mentioning """reverse racism"""

Anons? I don't know if this is relevant to this thread, but, I've got a bunch of races I've been trying to homebrew for 5e, and I could use some help on balancing out what I have written and picking which ones to write next. Any opinions?

docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#

>Reasonable response
>Followed by strawman
>Diversity politics somehow brought in
>And I saw this nerd that was totally a loser
>ps. you're a fag

Chill my man, your opinion is valid, it's fine.

If you're concentrating on a spell and then cast another concentration spell, the effects of the first concentration spell end immediately, yeah?

For example, if I have some guy Bane'd and cast Crown of Madness on him, he won't have to roll 1d4 and reduce that from his save, right?

I want to make a Robot Master Warforged. How do I do it?

Please enlighten us how having a mary sue character such as a fighter that rolled stats so high they have no attribute-score-related flaws and somehow has better charisma than the party face and is better at talking than the party face makes the game any more fun.

You're dividing up a party cake where each person has certain roles they're good at and bad at, except you've taken some of the bad-stats warlock's cake and given it to the fighter because the fighter's stealing their 'manipulative' part of their charisma.

And, honestly, it doesn't introduce anything interesting. That's all you've done - changed the numbers a bit so somebody's more powerful. Does it really reflect in any way other than making a character roll higher numbers than everyone else? No, not really.

If you want variation, roll stats in order. That way you'll see less 'Aside from my main stat, I put dex/con/wis as my highest stats and str/int/cha as my lowest stats' and more variation.

You'd need to tell us which robot master first.

I'm creating a cursed magic ring that causes either the previous owner or all the humans that you kill after attunement to come back as revenant(s). In the first case it would exceed the one year age limit, and in the second case I would lower it.

What could be a beneficial effect that I could give this ring in the theme of having some control over life and death that wouldn't be too overpowered? I was thinking maybe using hit points as charges for some necromancy spells or something along those lines, but it feels like it would become overpowered too quickly as the character grew in level.

Keep in mind that I plan to give this to a level 1 character for story reasons.

>Please enlighten us how having a mary sue character such as a fighter that rolled stats so high they have no attribute-score-related flaws and somehow has better charisma than the party face and is better at talking than the party face makes the game any more fun.

Be real, no one who rolled stats like that would pick fighter.

>buckets of ice water over every door
>remove the trap from the sink
>Kool-Aid powder in their bed (it's itchy and stains the skin when they sweat)
>Whoopie Cushion of Thunderwave
>replace their shampoo and bodywash with Nair
>bouillon cubes in the showerhead
>toothpaste in their food
>rubberband depressing the sink sprayer handle
>creamcheese in their shoes
>date rape them

That's true. They'd probably pick paladin and be an OP piece of shit, as strong as the fighter, as healy as the cleric, as tough as the barbarian and as controlling as the wizard.
Well, that's if everybody else rolls poor stats, which is unlikely considering usually it's 4d6d1 and that results in higher stats than normal point buy / array. Expect at least two people with 18s.

>as healy as the cleric, as tough as the barbarian and as controlling as the wizard.

This is how I know you're baiting.

How would you improve Champion Fighters?

Paladins do have various features that allow them to control things. Say, reduce an opponent's speed.

High charisma will give them a high DC. If the wizard has a low DC (it'll even out at the higher levels if the wizard has any sense with their ASIs) then the paladin can match the wizard's more diverse and spammable control effects with a much more reliable effect.

Also, a paladin can easily outdo a cleric without any stats. They can heal a party member for 1 HP at a time, which is enough to get them standing again. Compared to having to use an entire spell slot. The main issue here is that the cleric has a bonus action heal, but if they use this bonus action heal they can't cast a full action spell.
Also, the Cleric might be wasting all their spells on other things anyway.

Give them maneuvers

Why is everything in this game so FUN
There's practically no bad options aside from some spells that are more situational than anything else, but everything else works if you want it to

Multiclass them. Multiclass at 5 into rogue, or multiclass at 3 into barbarian. GWM and half-orcness are mandatory.

>Bladelock
>Rangers
>Berserker Barb
>Eldritch Knight

Are posts like this even possible? Without raging about something? Edgelords? Rolled stats? Monks? That Guy?

What are you on? You come to the most hate-filled place with the holy grail and we're all about to piss in it.

amen

Still perfectly viable options, they just struggle at higher levels.

Which, if statistics are to be believed, few people play anyway.

yeah he wouldn't have to roll for bane

i mean im a pretty positive guy and all but you gotta admit that posts like these, if enjoyable, don't actually bring anything to the thread.

I've played a bunch of rpg and 5e is an amazing game, yes. If it wasn't, we wouldn't be here discussing it, would we?

>date rape them
Well this escalated quickly

I'm new, what is wrong with monks?

Point buy and default array fuck them, and their best features are at high levels that most of Veeky Forums doesn't play.

Break either of those assumptions and monks are fine.

Monks are fine if you wear armor.
Don't need Dex anymore so the stat problem is solved.

>spear isn't reach
>trident does same damage as spear and can be thrown just as far
>using a morning star or war pick are the exact same weapon
>Sickle, the most pointless weapon in dnd
>quarterstaff does the same damage as spear, is better than mace in everyway

why are weapons in dnd so inaccurate? would it take too long for them to research historical combat?

all of these are quck fixes if you use your brain.

Have him use a bow from far away. Have him use med kits on downed players. Placing caltrops. Bait when things go bad. Tons of options, i dunno what these other guys are on about. Not everything is about meatpoints.

D&D is a fantasy game.

You can make the same arguments by comparing the various "attack" cantrips

Long answer is that this is a setting where you can stop time and punch a guy in half, so who cares about accuracy

Short answer is NEEEEEEEEEEEERD

Well, they're all supposed to backfire, right?

ha.

ha.

right?

There's a handful of essentially useless options, yeah, but regardless they're not meant to actually represent the weapons "realistically". That's not the design philosophy for the basic weapons table.

They're mechanical. There's a reason why you can refluff them. Also it's FUCKING FANTASY.

Considering that almost all DMs who let players roll for stats let them arrange the rolls however they like. the only thing rolling for stats does is create power variance. It doesn't create characters with weird combinations of ability scores that inspire characters the players wouldn't have otherwise thought of, like rolling for stats in order would do. It just means that some players have good numbers to work with and others have shitty numbers to work with.

Sure, some power variance is inevitable, and it doesn't always make the game unplayable, but why the fuck would you intentionally introduce more?

>spear isn't reach
>trident does same damage as spear and can be thrown just as far
I might give you those
>using a morning star or war pick are the exact same weapon
What is abstraction? retard

>why are weapons in dnd so inaccurate? would it take too long for them to research historical combat?

Only 3.PF autists care about differentiating weapons. People care about two things:

Is this optimal?
Do I like how this weapon looks?

Is it a problem if I know absolutely nothing about the setting?

I figured I'd make a character who set out from his boring rural town and is neither involved in nor aware of the setting he lives in, since... neither am I.

well from a gameplay prospective it's still frustating to have items that are completely outclassed. it means you see the same shit every single game.

okay I admit it, I wanted to run a spear, shield mace combo as a fighter. then I noticed that there was no reason to use mace and not morning star other than the trivial piecing/bludging difference. then I went on to notice that if I pick a morning star theres no reason to pick a spear other than to have something to throw as it does less damage and gives me no range advantage and unless you seriously want piecing damage, theres no reason not to just choose a warhammer.

so again we fall back to the same old weapons. that everyone uses. why in the hell isn't a morningstar versitle? it's big enough to use in two hands, and lord knows swinging with two hands makes a blunt object do more damage.

uhh honestly as someone who lets players roll if they want to its not that bad

it can help players who want to play something MAD actually not garbage

how much are you really bothered if the groups fighter has a 1 point higher charisma mod

also if someone somehow rolls worse than the standard array, the rules straight up demand that they reroll

You should probably get to know the setting. If you're not invested in the game, why are you playing?

What, that bad? Has the DM told you absolutely nothing?

You'll find that the vast majority of D&D players know nothing about the setting they're playing in, even if they think they do. Even DMs don't know a lot about the settings they use.

So when you're making a character, just point to a spot on the map and say you're from there. Ask your DM if he knows about that area. If he does, great, he can help you. If he doesn't, even better, you can make up the craziest shit you can imagine. Kind of like when Eric Cartman wrote a book report that one time.

s e s s i o n 0

Point-buy versus rolling tends to be a bit of a religious argument.

Particularly min-maxers are passionate about it.

dnd has no canon world map so you always learn about your setting each time you play.
if you play as a sage your dm will inform you of what your character already knows.

>what you know/ =/= what your character knows also means what your character knows =/= what you know.

say for instance theres a mechanic in the game where drow poison knocks you out, yet you can be woken up quite easily by a friend. if you had no idea what was going on and thought you were fucked. you could just ask your dm. would my character know anything about this and if your DM isn't trash he'll give you an honest anwser or make you take a nature, history or medicine role. usually the one your best at to keep you from dying.

>It's not bad because if you roll low you can reroll
Then medium becomes the new low and high becomes the new medium. It really doesn't change the fact that you're just making some characters randomly stronger or weaker for no reason.

>muh MAD classes
If you want the players to have a nicer array of good scores, there's a solution that doesn't involve pointless randomness. Give them more points to spend, or give them a better array to use.

>A creature that partakes of the feast gains several benefits. The creature is cured of all diseases and poison, becomes immune to poison and being frightened, and makes all Wisdom saving throws with advantage. Its hit point maximum also increases by 2d10, and it gains the same number of hit points. These benefits last for 24 hours.

Does "immune to poison" mean only the poisoned condition, not poison damage?

Both.

"Why so few druid PCs?" edition.

Has anyone ever made a poll to see how many people are playing which class currently?

dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/dd-survey-results-summary