Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Conquerors Edition: Have you ever conquered a kingdom or region? Tell us about it!

>THIS IS IMPORTANT!
If you want build advice make sure to say what 3pp you can use, if any.
>THIS IS IMPORTANT!

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/JTj1yEmU

Avowed Playtest 1:
drive.google.com/open?id=0B5HkyGRtGZy3SWVhdWFBWERWWjg
Avowed Playtest 2: docs.google.com/document/d/1rV7kaF9JL2gw9xQalkEnlEDL9WXtbsaCqNABm_pLIgc/edit?usp=sharing
Malefex Playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1W3LrE8WyIxxYRr8d9dHsWioeUk_-HZaSMqVWRnzc9Fc/edit?usp=sharing
Legendary Kineticists II Playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/11_w1o5dSef2tzu2GDLnJKElHY3uyETzuzFHDAjI6P6k/edit?usp=sharing

Old Thread:

I have not yet conquered a region or kingdom, but I know it involves never being slaves.

Thinking of more "strength does other stuff". Added a few more to the list from last time.

Defenses:
Strength -> Natural Armor (probably half modifier rather than full str mod)
Strength -> Fort Save (replacing con rather than in addition, or in addition but a limited number of times per day, unsure as of now)

Skills:
Strength -> Intimidate (already a thing)
Strength -> Crafting (but only metal called Hammerer)
Strength -> Heal (Called Bone Setter)
Strength -> UMD (Called Forceful Activation)
Strength -> Handle Animal (Called Stern Discipline)
Strength -> Escape Artist (It breaks what ever you escape from, called Shackle Breaker)
Strength -> Disable Device (Breaks what ever you're disabling, called Trap Smasher)
Strength -> Ride (Called Forceful Rider)
Strength -> Acrobatic (Called Strong Leaper)
Strength -> Perform (but only Act/Dance/Percussion called Mighty Performance)
Strength -> Fly (called Powerful Wings)

Of these all the skill ones would be traits, except for perhaps rolling together Handle Animal & Ride into a single feat.

The natural armor one would probably be a fighter Advanced Armor Training, or a 2-3 feat chain (linked to diehard perhaps?).

I'm trying to think of what else strength could apply to. Honestly the list isn't huge for things that make much sense. Of course it is possible to do ones that don't make internal sense, but I prefer not to (I'm looking at Wisdom of the Flesh of an example of no sense making).

Does anyone else have ideas of things strength could apply to?

What I am seeing is you can justify Str replacing a bunch of Dex and Cha skills, but not as much for Wis and Int skills. I can't think of a way of Str to Appraise, or Str to Linguistics.

HE LIVES!!!

Actually, no. Though I've helped people into positions of power, and have both instigated and prevented coups, I've never actually been involved in a war of conquest.

I should do something about that sometime.

My ever living head

Welcome back to not being dead!
Strength -> casting
Strength -> Appraise - Fragment Analysis
Strength -> Linguistics - Shouting Louder To Get The Point Across

This is something I have thought about. I like the idea of the Strength domain making Str your casting stat as a Cleric (that being a generic power of the Strength domain, meaning an Inquisitor could take it as well).

Besides that a witch who uses Str for casting would be interesting, like the old scarred witch doctor. In fact just bringing back scarred witch doctor, but with Str instead of Con would be great.

My final one would be a Gladiator bard with Str to casting who is based around performance combat.

I have also been brewing a Oracle archetype called Ordained Prophet, which is an oracle who gives up part of their mystery in exchange for domains. Basically it's a halfway house towards cleric.

>gross 3dpd grrm fanfic art
This thread is terrible already

>Strength -> Linguistics - Shouting Louder To Get The Point Across
Little bit too gonzo for my taste. Wouldn't work well in a lot of games.

>Strength -> Appraise - Fragment Analysis
Interesting, but wouldn't make sense unless it gave the broken condition to what ever you were trying. Or did damage to the object as you broke pieces off. Though I don't really like the flavor of that, again would be more gonzo. Hmm.

>Strength -> casting
Talked about it

It's really good art, though!

> OP pic
> Not a kitsune
Why do you have such shit taste?

fuck off

Here, have some more typical PF General art, you fuckign degenerates.

>Who do you think will be listed on the Flight Plan?

I think I want Seht, Kyler, Bellenka, Shizuka, Shanna, and two others. Probably two males to have near equilibrium.

Threadly reminder that Seht and Kyler make the cutest couple.

kys

You can't do that without providing source.

Is the game actually recruiting seven people? I thought it would only be four!

Seven is *way* too many.

It says seven players.

user, there are only six open slots, the 7th is the GM himself

>Strength -> Escape Artist (It breaks what ever you escape from, called Shackle Breaker)
Escape artist is also used to fit through tight spaces.

>Strength -> Heal (Called Bone Setter)
How does this treat poison or disease?

The others all make sense I guess.

That includes the gm

Why is he recruiting six players? That's two too many!

No seriously, throwing players at the problem is just going to clog the gears.

fuck if I know, user, I thought he was only recruiting four when the campaign was first announced

Remember, this is less a game and more a social thing. With six players you have 15 potential interactions, as opposed to just 6 when you have four players.

Casimir, shizuka, Onryou, etan, seht, kyler

Is there any interest for a regular AP game in EU time?

And what I've found with huge social events is voices start to get drowned the fuck out.

Roleplaying in a six-person party is not pleasant.

It's less bad in text, but discord turns into pure hell with that.

Onryou and Shizuka HAVE to get in!

And what I've found is that people who say that they've had problems with groups are often the people who cause those problems.

Its a shame the guy who made Gallius and Hikari had to drop out.
It woudl've been cool to see an old bird fussing over Amiko's safety and well being

As someone who played in an eight PC party, albeit using a different system, I can confirm that voices will get drowned out hard, and combat can be extremely tedious and time consuming. It was pretty bad even though it was a text-only game.

>tfw cucked out of forming any meaningful bonds with other PCs because there was never enough time for me to get more than one snarky remark in

So eight people, in a different system, compared to six people, in a setup where combat will most likely be a cakewalk.

>in a setup where combat will most likely be a cakewalk.

The combat isn't the ding dong point, user. When you've got six separate people throwing up posts there are going to be maybe one or two people that get drowned out.

And it doesn't matter if the combat is easy, it will become super tedious when you have to wait 30-40 seconds for each person to figure out what they want to do on their turn.

6-person parties are a nightmare... And for what? What do you get out of 6 players that 4 can't do too? More roleplaying opportunities doesn't mean jack shit if two of those six are getting ignored.

Check on /h/ under Kan Colle.

Is it better to go Myrmidarch or Eldritch Archer for a gun wielding Magus? I mostly ask because the former's Spellstrike seems to be an improvement over the latter's once you hit 11. Also the Fighter stuff seems useful, though I don't know if it's worth the tradeoff.

That isn't even the point of the statement, though? The more people you add, the more likely it is that someone's going to feel left behind and for things to take a while. Even if everyone is on-point mechanically, it's still text.

>combat will most likely be a cakewalk
We don't know this because it's highly likely that things will be adjusted to account for power levels. If they aren't then combat's clearly not the focus of the game.

And I'm saying that you're speaking from your experience. I've played in a 9 player group where no one got drowned out. It's a function of the players, not the number of players.

Were gonna make it work! I believe in you guys

>modern firearms
What is the best way to use a nugget?

>MY experience invalidates YOUR experience
>when it all depends on the players themselves

Assuming that an increase in a variable in a mass of unknowns means increased likelihood of problems, it's safer to assume that increasing that variable will cause an issue. Nowhere did I say that it's IMPOSSIBLE for big parties to work, I said that it's MORE LIKELY that there will be problems, and my personal experiences tended to point to there always being people getting drowned out.

Way more time gets lost from people tangenting, too.

Depends. With the constant time-wasting and 2-3 people going on and on and on about something entirely unrelated, a single fight that SHOULD take about half an hour ends up taking the entire night and you're actually paused because round 3 will start when we start back up next week.

There might be AoEs in the party, but half the group'll get pissed as hell if you dare shorten things that way.

Beating someone to death with it.
Sawing off the barrel with a circular saw and turning it into a handcannon.
Using the suicide verb.

Usually there's just one or two characters allowed to RP; the GM wants to focus on their story for the moment and everyone else trying to even do a thing in character is "disrupting".

Sometimes one of said players decides to get all bitchy because they're totally the only person who's ever had a bad week and the entire session falls apart; and how dare anyone else even suggest others could have a scene instead.

>Half the group'll get pissed as hell if you dare shorten things that way

I don't quite understand that mindset. All the people I've played with react to big, room-clearing moves with "shit that's cool", not "how dare you".

And let's not forget the most classic of issues with huge parties.

"Hey guys, [Life] is getting in the way, I can't show up for this session."

So what do you do? Always have one player missing, or do you cancel the session again and again and again because this is a plot-critical event and they just HAVE to see it?

>Roleplaying in a six-person party is not pleasant.
>I can confirm that voices will get drowned out hard
>6-person parties are a nightmare...

Problem with anonymous boards. Those are 'nope, it's impossible' statements right there.

I've seen both. I've seen one guy basically go "you can't do that that wouldn't be any fun for the rest of us" when the player finally *got* high enough level to get the AoE [everyone knew that was the point of the player's build from the start] even though it was a bunch of nameless grunts with additional waves outright known to be coming next.

You'll be surprised. Some people really want a piece of the action I guess, even if you did just waste a shit ton of boring mooks. I've seen it get to the point where if a player does *anything* he gets his throat jumped on.

Yeah. Either way no one will be happy.

Are you seriously trying to pretend that shit like this never happens, as opposed to being the more common result of having, say, 8 people on a discord chat, 5 of which are pretending to be women?

I don't want to see a promising game die from a simple problem.

We can do it.

>Why is he recruiting six players? That's two too many!

It's an online game, user. It's a good bed that at least one player will drop out or people will miss out sessions for various reasons so there will be an average of 4-5 players present.

>subjective statements are are definitely the same as objective statements
>half a dozen people with conflicting statements are all agreeing on exactly the same things

There are many things going into this that make it work or not work. Increasing the number of people means you have to line up more things at once, and there are people who are justifiably wary of that. There are people who just don't find parties in excess of 4 fun. There are people who've had shitty experiences trying to do anything at all only to get shoved to the side in favor of the most popular quartet of PCs.

More people can either be more fun and opportunities going around, or it can be more problems. Personally, I prefer 4-5 PCs, but 6 can probably work just fine.

"We can do it" as in "we can beat the problem" or "we can kill the game"? Because it feels like both are possibilities these days.

You just gotta believe and work with your fellow players. Nothing is insurmountable

Depending on the chargen, I might be interested.

>tfw game hasnt even started and all the drama bs around it makes me want to burn my eyes out

I'll keep poking interest then

>You just gotta believe and work with your fellow players.

Which is significantly easier when it's you and three others.

In my experience, it *can* work with more, but it tends to end up with some PCs rotating in and out, and that's in something that doesn't follow an Adventure Path format.

Rather, some PCs pursue different goals, have different arcs going on, and other PCs drift in and out of them--sometimes because somebody just couldn't make it that day, sometimes because a good player knows when to let somebody else have the floor and when to grab the spotlight.

For instance--playing as the king in an old game, I was pretty happy to just be the muscle in someone else's quest, and on the other hand there were some tasks that called for me to step up and do the talking (as best as I was able while playing a barbarian).

That's not saying it can't be done. Step up your game Senpai. We are prepared to go the distance. Are you?

It's preemptive sour grapes. They know they're not going to get in so they're convincing themselves it'll be a failure.

Oh stop with the platitudes, saying "we can do it" over and over does not make it true. High-player games are jank and offer a meager bonus to roleplaying with a massive increase for combat bloat and potential spotlight troubles.

You are more than welcome to not apply

6 player game IS perfectly doable, though. It might not be ideal, but it's also not going to collapse due to the sheer impossibility of it.

Or maybe I know I have a good chance of getting in, and I don't want to see the game I've been hyped for crash and burn or grind to an oppressive crawl because the DM can't say "no" to more people.

Oh stop with the whinging, claiming it's doomed to failure doesn't make it true.

But see, it's that attitude that's more likely to cause a game to fail than the number of players.

Don't worry about it. It gonna work out. If you're worried about it. Take the lead. Encourage player dialogue about subjects. Don't allow your prophesy to be self fulfilling

If it's not ideal than why not make it the ideal number?

>I know I have a good chance of getting in
Imfuckingplying

Getting some /pfg/ anons wee-wee hard doesn't mean shit.

Beats me. Maybe the GM actually likes running for large parties and has enough experience to know that he can make it work. Maybe he's cynical and is pre-empting someone dropping out. Maybe he thinks that 6 players IS ideal. Or maybe he just wants to give more people a chance to play.

But user, tickling the peenus weenus is the best way to get the DM's attention.

Why else would you give your character huge tits?

>Etan is somehow still consistently on at least one person's list

Is this just some kind of memetic momentum or has he actually held up that well? Hasn't really felt like it, but then again I'm also feeling some burnout.

The ideal number of players varies depending on the group. If 6 isn't YOUR ideal, then either step up to the plate to GM your ideal number or see if one of the DMs who said they'd be willing to run the same campaign has similar preferences.

Little of column A, little of column B. As befitting a true hero.

I always feel like games with more players suffer in the roleplaying aspect. Since there's so many people, that's that many more people who need to share the spotlight.

If it's one player, it's all about them all the time.

Three players is, in my mind, optimal. In many things.

So who do we hate the most on /pfg/? Who do we direct our irrational fury toward?

Witchhunt poster.

In practice it's more "two players all the time, except when session's collapsing from gm's girlfriend finding a whole new way to show just how insane-and-unwilling-to-ever-fix-a-thing and getting overheard because someone's mic is clearly *not* a push to talk".

Sometimes just one player gets the spot.

>saying "we can do it" over and over does not make it true.

Except it is true.

And here's the post where someone will say the same thing would have happened if it was a four person party, that those players would be silent and useless regardless of how furious the chat was moving.

Why do I have a feeling your upset about something?

Care to share?

The number of horror stories people have for high-player campaigns should say a lot about how fickle they are.

I've also heard a lot of horror stories about how monks are broken.

Don't forget Press to the Wall.

This exactly. I bet none of the memed characters get picked because other folks were too busy putting together actual characters instead of spending all their time jabbering in /pfg/ about them.

I've heard a lot horror stories about how vanilla kineticist is incredibly OP and overshadows everyone in the party.

If he and Rubio get in together, it'd be great fun to see them arguing over who's the leading man and who's the sidekick.

Plus, possible X-Slash dual tech.

I'm thinking about Unchained Wizards again, and had a thought.

If you, as a wizard, has something akin to bardic performance rounds (a limited resource you spend in fits and bursts), what would you want to spend it on?

In the Unchained Wizard this is the Arcane Fount. At the moment it is spent on: Preparing spells from Secondary/Tertiary schools (instead of having them cost extra slots), empowered versions of school powers, and casting Legendary Spells.

I have toyed with the idea of making it allow one to apply metamagic to spells, but that is too strong.

What else would you, as a player, want to spend your limited resources on?

Rubio? Is there some political slash fiction game going on?

My first and only PF game so far had 7 players, and it devolved into memery and murderhoboing without really any roleplay half an hour into the first session.

The issues come when people refuse to believe in a middleground.

8 player party guy here. I had a game recently with like, 10 people that rotated in and out. It was fun for everyone even with some drowning out, due to it being over voice and the nature of the game itself being laid back. People got to have their moments, even if it took a few sessions.

You know when someone's with a highly manipulative psychopath, and is in that stage of a relationship where they genuinely believe and agree that everyone else is at fault not her?

Lemme put it this way.
When you're continents apart, and haven't said anything, but it's your fault anyways, you start looking for another group.

But it's still nice to vent a bit.

Voice is a completely different beast compared to Text, I've played plenty of high-player voiced games just fine but every high-player Text game's been a nightmare.

Look on the bright side, you may be continents apart but at least you're not incontinent!

The worst of times. Glad it's over (?)

Hey DHB, are your other unchained things getting closer to being published yet?