MtG Spoilers for Aether Revolt

Abrupt Decay 5-8, standard playable or limited fodder?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yUO7Ef2ZOTY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>standard playable
Boi. This is being talked about as a legacy and modern staple.

From LotusNoir, translated

Padeem's Expertise 2UU
Instant (R)
Put target nonland permanent on top of its owner's library.
You may cast a card with converted mana cost 2 or less from your hand without paying its mana cost.

>Abrupt decay kills inkmoth

Hey, they brought back Kicker.

youtube.com/watch?v=yUO7Ef2ZOTY

So this can kill inkmoth while decay can't. Good to know

I need a playset.

You need several playsets.

Who doesnt?

Carlos you fuck

>blue one is shit

I hate "spells" that are just mundane action anyone can do. What is magical about kicking someone?

>You may cast a card with converted mana cost 2 or less from your hand without paying its mana cost.
Reminder that disperse is still in the standard format, it did not rotate out with magic origins, it was reprinted in "Welcome Deck 2016" set, so it's standard legal

It's a magical kick, presumably.

>can't play Padeem off it
Wow, way to break the circle symmetry, WotC

I was noticing that it had a CMC of 4 and the free cast was card with CMC 2. In the other ones, the free cast is CMC of the expertise -1.

Plus Padeem is most likely not in this set too, so I'm calling bullshit

It's really weird. You get a boardwipe for basically 1 mana but bouncing a creature's gonna cost 2 mana?

Blue isn't allowed to be strong. Only green and black

Well, it is a card-neutral tempo swing, that's pretty good. Also, it's an instant, so you can cast a 2cmc creature at instant speed.

Yeah. I'd probably play 2 or 3 in my UR control deck.

Kills Goyf. Good.

I'm with you. Been saying this for years. Because "Stranglehold" is somehow an Enchantment, etc...

Hmm...bounce their biggest attacker and flash in a sylvan advocate to eat an attacker. Or use sorcery removal during their turn. Or even use it before their draw step to ensure they have a dead draw, or use it to cast sorcery speed discard after their draw, or...
It's really flexible, so yeah. I can see it seeing play.

I can't see it being a 4 of in the main. Maybe 2 and 2. But, as always with magic, if there is a way to cast a free spell, it'll get busted.

The topdeck bounce prevent that player from playing that card until he or she draws that card. The card draw is also wasted on getting that card back instead of a new card.
The equivalents of this card (without the free cast) would be:
Repel (3U) (creatures only)
Grasp of Phantoms (3U) (creatures only) (sorcery) (Flashback for 7U)
Vanishment (4U) (Miracle for U)
Anchor to the Aether (2U) (creatures only) (sorcery) (Scry 1)
Griptide (3U) (creatures only)
Sweepaway (2U) (creatures only) (bounces to hand instead if creature isn't attacking)

Hey, you will be kicking a tarmogoyf. that guy hans was not as lucky as you

Tons of things kill goyf. It's not anything new in that regard

I am starting to think the blue expertise is the best one. It still works with the Boom/Burst Beck/Call stuff, plus suspend nonsense.
4 mana topdeck bounce + draw 3 at instant speed anyone?

And of course I'm talking Standard, here.

Does draw 3 refer to beck//call (because you are spending an additional card in your hand) or ancestral visions (because "draw 3" is on that card)? A fused beck//call draws you more cards than a visions

I was thinking ancestral, but it could be either. I mean, when Yahenni's Expertise got spoiled people started talking about the combo, but the blue one may be better simply because it's blue and instant.

Welcome to fetchlands

>what is magical about putting your heel through a man-eating lurgoyf?
>what is magical about curbstopping an eldritch horror?
>what is magical about engaging the mighty boot?

You can even return the permanent, if you need some ramp. Neat

B/w could be a thing again. His sac outlet is awesome with Avacyn.

>dahlink

this is a flavorful spell
>kick someone off building
>or, as your creature that left the battlefield if falling it does a naruto move and kicks other big creature off the building with it

I am neutral so far on this set. I like some of the cards but many of them will be overhyped and/or be barely playable in EDH. Fatal Push will definitely be a thing in my legacy deck though

I call fake on this one.

Well it does only cost one mana

The magic part is teleporting you both into a place where there is a lethal hazard, or conjuring a lethal hazard or something.

Then you kick them.

Am I the only one who likes this card regardless of how good or bad it is?

>That full art edit.
Jesus, why?

its a big stompy green creature that gets even bigger and stompier, what's not to love from a casual perspective?

Neat

this is a real as fuck wincon for a blue/black control deck using Prophetic Prism.

Or just use clues. You can even flash it in with Sigarda's aid at the end of your opponent's turn

Bant clues when

Some user from EDH general posted about how he found one for cheap in a bin at his lgs, it originally looked like pic related. Yeah it still looks bad buf its not like he plans to sell it off

Why are wizards pushing power-creep so high this set?

>gw gets more good creatures

>haste
Thanks Maro

>1 mana conditional removal
>Power-creep

Third Un- Set when

So bad compared to Craterhoof that it hurts.

Dunno if an extra black mana is really worth the recursion on Ensoul. Depends on what you're enchanting, I guess.

Ensoul was only really useful due to darksteel was it not?

Exactly why I'm kind of skeptical about it. But maybe there's a cheap enough artifact with a decent etb effect that I'm missing.

Be comforted by the fact that post-Innistrad Block they will never print another uncastable creature that will usurp Gristlebrand, Iona, Emrakul, Craterhoof, or any of other other nut reanaimator/oath/cheat targets.

Seriously, there's no reason to bitch about new big creatures anymore because they will always be inferior. There's only misplaced Mythic horseshit like your Grim Flayers or Deathmist Raptor.

Bro this is Black's Path, this is the staple black removal card for the rest of MTG's existence

I see you are not a true wizard

Ornithopter's back, innit? You don't get cheaper than free.

Honestly, it's reasoning like this that makes me think SFM would be fine to remove from modern's banlist if Batterskull took its place. WotC clearly thinks Batterskull was a mistake if you look at all the garbage equipment they've printed for years now. So if they're never going to print anything like it, why not just have the two swap places on the banlist? Sure, SFM is the enabler and it'd be safer to keep in banned so as to avoid any potential future mistakes, but it seems pretty damn unlikely that any kind of serious "mistakes" will be made with WotC's current approach to equipment.

With these two cards will Abzan CoCo be tier 1 again?

Gonna build Blue's Clues next standard

The answer to your quandary, like the answer to many wonderings here, is that Wizards is too lazy to deal with whatever idiotic PR backlash would result in making an effort.

Why make an effort to only make a bigger effort talking about it afterwards. Just make zero effort because people still buy your shit.

It's almost like why pharmaceuticals don't bother researching new antibiotics. We're going to need it eventually and it will benefit everyone to have it sooner rather than later, but it's not profitable now and if they did it they'd eat shit from some number of their investors for doing something so wasteful. So they'd rather not until it was absolutely necessary - and everyone's dead or dying.

If you've never been emotionally involved with something that had the potential to be great die, Modern will be that thing. I've worked for businesses and organizations and they just ate shit. All you can do is look back and say how great it could have been.

>the sky is falling
You retards have been saying the same shit for years. Time to admit you're full of shit

>When you mass-produce Big Zam
I really gotta get around to making an /m/ deck one of these days

was good on thopter too. The thopter keeps its flying.

I live in Canada. In my province there were 10 rather large Magic cities about 10 years ago.

There are now 6, the 4 smallest towns and cities just rolled over and died and the only survivors are the largest cities supported by universities. Killing the PTQ structure just made it too fucking hard and killed any reason to farm for points or travel around anymore.

Magic is being sold at Walmart, EB Games/Gamestop, and basically any place with a toy-retail component. Going to a store/place to play Magic is fucking dying and the formats are going to die with it. Standard is dying, Modern is dying, Legacy and Vintage are already gone and Wizards is too cowardly to declare the paper dead.

Yu Gi Oh and Force of Will shit the bed, Pokemon was never a thing, a lack of supply has killed board game interest - literally no reason to leave the house when you got video games.

It's going to be Kitchen Table all day every day and that's the future.

I just want to use pic related and Liquimetal Coating.

I love silly jank.

mono blue?

It's not like Wizards would have to do any extra work to avoid printing a card of Batterskull's level. They're clearly already doing it anyway. Seriously, when's the last time they made relatively powerful equipment?

I live in Canada too. Take your bullshit sooth saying elsewhere please

t. bumfuck prarie hick

If you look at the average cmc of the creatures, along with their p/t and abilities, everything in the last couple of sets are off the chain. Everything is kinda powerful, even the trash stuff.
It's definitely the beginning of a new series of design for limited. Shit's wack if you look at it.

I am an LGS manager in a metropolitan area with 7 solid LGS in the area. Attendence has been down across the board for all formats. Three other stores have closed in the past two years. Yugioh has been fine, but our modern attendence has dropped by a third and we haven't had a standard event with enough players to sanction in two months. The only thing keeping us going is online singles sales and making a dickliad of money every 3 months or so selling garbage anime collectibles at cons.

My front yard looks fine. Yours probably looks fine too. But the backyard is a blasted wasteland where stores are trying to fire events and can't. Yeah you see events happening all over but you don't know if they're actually firing. My store didn't fire Gameday a year ago - a million people in the area and fucking Gameday didn't fire.

Apparently Mexico City just doesn't play Standard anymore. Entire communities in the UK boonies just couldn't run Magic anymore because of Wizards stupid venue rules and some stores in London just lost their WPN because of that.

US btw.

wait so this can make a 5/5 thopter turn 3? Seems legit.

These kids don't understand. That 'standard showdown' stunt last month was a desperate gasp for air. All our old regs just draft cubes on MtGO now. Commander night is the only night we see over 10 players. It does great, we usually have 20-25 for that.

But batterskull isn't an equipment, it's a creature.

Well it looks like my clue deck got a new stupid wincon.

why even bother to unban SFM if you don't have batterskull

Every time I see someone defending Magic or professing love for it I feel like they're ignoring how the house is on fire.

Even right now on Reddit they're begging for Fatal Push to be an FNM promo as if that's going to fix all the problems in Magic.

Wizards is probably going to give it to them too. And when it happens all the people are going to be like, "They really care!". Just like all the people being so fucking happy that everyone's going to get foil Servo/Thopter tokens at the prerelease.

It's just so fucking shocking how useless promos and promo tokens are and that's all it takes for people to gush. It makes me sick how Reddit is the feedback mechanism for this stupid game. And those surveys on the mothership.

It wasn't that long ago we were getting around 35 players for our prerelease. Now we're getting around 25. That's almost a 30% drop. I'm in a major city and this has happened over the past year. 10 entries may not seem like much, but it's pretty big when you consider I'm getting 30% fewer singles traded in, so I'm stuck with having to pop packs or have a shitty standard case. Kaladesh was the final straw, I'm currently playing with several other alternatives to magic and standard no longer gets front facing case space in my store.

this is even worse for the "Pro"'s and the "voices of the community".

they all gush over wizards about everything and refuse to bring any criticism to the table.

with one real, actually good, exception, The Professer at Tolarian community college.

and he catches massive flack for daring to question WoTC's authority.

Guys, new spoiler.

The house is not on fire, it is simply morphing into a different house, and you don't like the new house.

Limited magic makes more sense, from a design perspective, there is far more control the designers have over the experience. Constructed magic is largely played by two groups: Casuals who are looking to pay as little as possible (See: kitchen table, casual commander), and obsessives who are willing to pay whatever they have to (See: Standard, Modern, Legacy). For everyone inbetween, limited just makes more sense.

And lets not even talk about the shitshow that the rotation has become.

consdiering WoTC is panicking and throwing everything at the wall to increase sales, Standard Showdown, Eternal Masters coming back, Rotation changing.....

you are wrong.

Weak sauce bro.

Fake as fuck

I'm not saying WoTC is making this happen, the market is making this happen, and WoTC is not happy about it.

For

All "affects small mana costs only" effects are potentially strong in the big boy formats (Modern, Legz, Vinny) since nearly every card that's playable at all in those formats costs very little.

Eternal masters "coming back" was fucking planned. LGS manager again. Those boxes they released had warped cards in the packs. Those things sat in a fucking warehouse waiting for a planned re-release.

Holy fuck lmao this reaching
Just leave and stop playing if it's so so bad

>being this retarded