Warhammer Fantasy General

Warhammer Fantasy General: All Fimir, All The Time

>Previous Thread
Kindly no End Times or Age of Sigmar. Please go shill/troll elsewhere.

>1d4chan
1d4chan.org/wiki/Category:Warhammer_Fantasy

>Newbie Introduction to Warhammer Fantasy (Download, start reading at page 174 for the story and all the races)
mediafire.com/download/i330182xo9b1hsi/Rulebook (Hardback).pdf

>Third Party Miniature Manufacturers
pastebin.com/CvGaNyrk

>List of Warhammer recommended proxies
the-ninth-age.com/lexicon/index.php?lexicon/462-the-9th-age-miniature-library/

>Tomb Kings Range reborn!
tabletop-miniatures-solutions.com
indiegogo.com/projects/tms-undying-dynasties-army-release#/

>Bretonnia range reborn!
indiegogo.com/projects/tms-kingdom-of-equitaine-army-release

>Warhammer Wikis
whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page
warhammerfb.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Wiki
warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Online_Wiki

>Resources (Armybooks, Supplements, Fluff, Crunch)
pastebin.com/8rnyAa1S
pastebin.com/0e6RuQux

>Endhammer
1d4chan.org/wiki/Endhammer

>9th Age
the-ninth-age.com

>Total War: Warhammer
store.steampowered.com/app/364360/

>End Times: Vermintide
store.steampowered.com/app/235540/

>Mordheim: City of the Damned
store.steampowered.com/app/276810/

>Bloodbowl 2
store.steampowered.com/app/236690/

>Man O' War
store.steampowered.com/app/344240/

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!oddE3biJ!T95ZyU9Or7Qu4Zs-PNphW7rPJol6fJw19OC7gj1pC-8
newsthump.com/2016/03/01/isis-declares-fatwa-against-warhammer-age-of-sigmar/
yaktribe.org/community/attachments/dwarf-trollslayer-warband-pdf.1087/
mega.nz/#!bJA1BZQQ!H8WjG-CwwWYxoo9e0tfdFGaGnhebHS9vEZiY7nEBQJA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

How can I introduce the Fimir in a "Shadow Over Innsmouth" way without going full magical realm, given that the players are completely unfamiliar with both the Fimir and HP Lovecraft?

Fimir are symmetrical you retard.

Have them be like the Deep Ones that runs some kind of trade with the humans without actually going into detail about the reproduction.

Show them the wikipedia article for both.

Did you want it to be a surprise?

Are the humans Chaos alingside the Fimir, or are the Fimir less Chaos-aligned? Which Chaos God if the former?

Where do you want it to occur?

I was thinking of the players finding a remote Empire village, or maybe somewhere on coast of the Wasteland, that has a very similar deal with the Fimir as the Deep Ones have with Innsmouth, i.e. they provide fish and bog iron to sustain the village, and in turn get daughters. In fact since none of them have read Lovecraft I might just ape the whole plot. It's a shame there are no hybrids though, that would be an intense reveal, like in the Call of Cthulhu game during that chase sequence.

Turn it around.

Empire peasants at a military outpost forge gear from the metal, raid Norscans, and sell Norscans to the Fimir. The Norscans aren't Warriors but are just Marauder villages, the Empire is an aggressor. But the alternative is being raped by Fimir and raided by the Norscans after a generation without being culled.

squad progress
despite using a lightbox couldnt catch the gold detailing, still pretty happy with how they are coming along.
3 to go who are melted somewhat, please kill me

Nice.

Gonna base?

Which skintone do you think suits the Fimirs the most?

All art either has them sallow or green.

I prefer green for the stronger ones, flesh for the rest.

I think a pale, greyish blue wouldn't be half bad.

possibly, definitely more interested in getting these guys assembled, completed and painted/glossed, I've been procrastinating for years user, last 2 months I've done like 80% of my army. I do already have some units based so it would silly of me not to eventually but for now nay

this comment is totally useless.

They just reminded me of a blue cyclops I saw in a Greek mythology book as a child.

So is your comment.

Best basic career in 2e?

Meh, if really depends on how you roll.
Mercenary is solid because it exits into good combat classes and covers both melee and ranged combat, Knight-Errant is probably the best in terms of starting equipment and classes it can become, and Estalian Diestro is good for melee-focused types and can move directly into the Duelist career immediately after.

Mind you this is assuming combat is all you care about too, since most of these careers don't have much in the way of social skills.

Aw, I missed Fimir talk and now I really need to head off.

Keep the dream alive mateys and have a small present on that front.
mega.nz/#!oddE3biJ!T95ZyU9Or7Qu4Zs-PNphW7rPJol6fJw19OC7gj1pC-8

To my fellow Breton players... What size army bag and foam do you guys use to store/travel with your army? I'm having a hard time being economical with the foam, all of the knights lances, flags and pegasus wings take an amazing amount of space up... Any recommendations for bags for brets with more knights and lots of winged, larger models?

So we can all agree that Veeky Forums's darling faction is Bretonnia?

just email felldherr theyll do the math for you

Hey, I played Bretons before they were cool

What would the fantasy equivalent of tyranids look like? They seem like the only 40k race along with the tau that aren't based on anything in fantasy.

They wouldn't have one, an implacable world-devouring horde, who has not yet won only because their full forces haven't arrived yet, is not really suitable for a Fantasy setting.

The Tau are just Cathay in space.

Some shitty bug people race.

The skaven.

I always saw them as yellowish green or grey. They tend to wear bronze armor, so that'd go well with that.

Ogre Kingdoms.

>assimilate into other cultures instead of the reverse
>devour everything
>impossibly resilient against most of the threats of the setting
>tend to come from the eastern edge of the setting

The Dark Eldar are actually more along Skaven's in space. They live in a realm that parallel with everyone else, has a hilariously cruel society and they have fleshy monster scientists that spends all their time building freaks.

Very clever. I could see that turning the tables like that being useful for turning a setting into a multiple-choice mission. I.E. the town is dominated by the pro-Fimir faction, but there some rebellious villagers who want to instead kidnap Norscan women, and an EVEN MORE rebellious subgroup who secretly just wants to kill the Fimir. The PCs would have to choose which side to support.

Very clever indeed

But why would the PCs not want to kill the Fimir? Fimir are dicks.

I just rolled up a Toll Keeper for my group's new game and I'm pleasantly surprised. Nobody I know has ever played one before or even looked closely, but he's a combat beast and still has the important social skills like haggle, evaluate (and talents to buff them), and read/write

Oh damn, what is this? I've never heard of this magazine but it looks quite official. And it's got a whole Fimir army book?

>But why would the PCs not want to kill the Fimir? Fimir are dicks.
There would have to be an incentive to keep them alive. It could be emphasized that without the Fimir there would be no fish or metal and the people would die? That way the "kill them" option is also killing the villagers, unless the party does some really resourceful planning.

I guess the issue with that scenario is "why not just move the villagers to another village nearby"?

Maybe you need to consider the Fimir's angle for sticking around more, and why they would need a regular supply of daughters if they can freely give resources to the village. Maybe they're trying not to get noticed, and the village provides a level of cover for them, or keep people away from the ruins that they call home with stories of it being haunted - but the Skaven also threaten the village, and they're fighting a literal underground war to protect something that's important to their survival.

Oh man. That's so good. The party will naturally side with the radical "kill the Fimir" group only to discover subtle clues that their mysterious benefactors are Skaven. Should the plan succeed the whole town will end up being taken down into the tunnels

Does Kroak's Deliverance of Itza affect units engaged in combat?

The rulebook states that Wizards cannot target spells at units engaged in close combat, but the spell says that it targets ALL enemy units within 12". Does this then imply '...even if they are engaged in combat'?

They're okay. I don't dislike them. But I don't play them.

I think you could argue that was true a few years ago. Like the Sisters in 40k, they've got a strong minor following, and they're also pretty vocal.

These days, it doesn't hurt that they were fucked over continually, and somehow their fanbase survived through all that. And since the threads have turned more to lore discussion, ironically the generic medieval faction poses the most questions, because in a lot of ways it doesn't make sense, where a lot of other factions, like the Empire, seem sensible enough.

Whoever wins we lose scenario.

I'd say Brets and TK together have most of the support here.

Except skaven rely on numbers and are something of a force of nature.

The crazy mutations and gas bombs also help fit the Tyranid mold

Probably the main reason that is is because they are arguably the two facts that got fucked over the most, especially in that they're the two expressly not in AoS. A lot of former WFB fans could've moved on to AoS with some grumbling, Bret and TK fans couldn't unless they wanted to refluff or abandon their favorite faction.

And honestly, the factions have similar themes to them. Both have an archaic sense of nobility and honor. They're both strongly tied to their homelands. Even their least and weakest units have a strong sense of loyalty, even if for Skeletons it's different than for Men-at-Arms. They both had some underdog feels to them because of poor performance on the tabletop. Tomb Kings have a faded glory sense that puts them more in line with Strigoi lovers, but Bretonnians have a present glory that is tarnished by the secrets lurking underneath it.

So, i've still got about 200$ worth of Christmas money to spend, and im looking to start a new army. Any ideas?

since they are so OP in AoS, yes l.

No

One of the reasons could be that this entire site tends to attract very hipster-contrarian people that will like the overall least popular faction for that reason alone.

Whattya got already?

I'm 99% certain the least popular armies are Tzeentch Daemons, Khorne Warriors, Lothern High Elves, Forest Goblins, and everything Beastmen.

Why should it?

Aside from beastmen these are all subfactions.

I've mostly got WoC. Just a small army, consisting of some Warriors, some Knights, a Gorebeast Charriot, a Sorcerer, a Exalted hero and a Lord.

That's a bit unfair, since none of those is a general faction. That would be like saying everyone hates Wights, Temple Guard, Wissenland Imperials, von Carstien Vampire Counts, and everything Orc.

Have dwarves ever started a fight? They seem to be rather defensive, and only fight when something is directly threatening them or has attacked them. And it doesn't count to say that they attacked someone for a grudge hundreds of years ago that everyone else forgot about - by dwarf logic, they didn't start that fight, they finished it, and it's too easy to justify a lot of other grudges in that same way.

>dwarf logic
Is every single Skave the most billiant and competent mind on earth?
According to their on logic they are so that means it musst be true.

>that cage neck thing seems exclusive to GW Fire Wizards

I believe that neck/arm thing is inspired by metal lanterns and torch cages and used as such by the bright wizards.

Then it got misunderstood by artists until it looks like their entire body is a fenced community.

Fine, that's a fair point: have dwarves ever attacked anyone without prior provocation by attack or disagreement, within living memory or not?

I don't know, now that you mention it. I think that part of the thing with dwarfs (and the issue, when it comes to why the Old Ones considered them imperfect, I imagine) is that they are super-ultra-conservative (but not reactionary). And I think that this goes again in practically all aspects of life.

Ultimately, this means that they're almost always in a state of slow but constant retreat, ponderous and slow to pro-active action.

That said, I would imagine that they have no issues "picking fights" with Skaven, Orks and servants of Chaos. The first two they have enormous, incalculable grudges with, and although slow to action, they are technically in constant war with them.

In my own personal headcanon, the dwarven war against the Skaven is constantly ongoing, just unknown to the vast majority of the world, and partly the reason dwarfs are not steamrolling things. This also keeps the Skaven too busy to pick on easier targets, such as the Empire.

And in the case of Chaos, they were literally created to combat it and their struggle against Chaos goes beyond being divinely ordained, but is likely considered to be a charge that applies even to the Ancestor Gods. They just don't have to deal with it very often (as a species), because they're resistant to Chaos, can't (usually) use (usual) magic, and most holds are not immediately threatened by the forces of Chaos - other than the Skaven, at least.

Probably.
Most of the time they are on the receiving side because of constant Skaven and Goblin attacks, but surely there are some cases of groll that didn't happen or just greed.
There is no really goody good good faction.
Everyone fucked up once in a while.

>have dwarves ever attacked anyone without prior provocation by attack or disagreement, within living memory or not?

Probably not, at least if we're talking about Mountain Dwarfs and not Chaos Dwarfs or Norscan Dwarfs. I'm not even going to count Expats, since they'd be part of other nations, not "the dwarfs".

Even when they have grudges, they tend to settle them and then go home. The exception would be to "evil" factions such as skaven, orks, chaos, or undead. With the exception of the undead, though, who'd they'd likely refuse to interact with unless absolutely necessary, all the others can be considered as having standing grudges and they are formally at war with them at all times anyway, and not without good cause.

So if the ultimate question is whether the dwarfs have ever attacked the Old World human nations or, say, the Ogres or even Vampires without a grudge to settle and a clear cassus belli, I think the answer would be no.

>There is no really goody good good faction.
The "issue" with the dwarfs is that they are completely unreasonable and implacable, conservative to the point of detriment even to themselves, and moribund in issues relating to tradition or honor.

Not that they'd attack others without cause, but that they'd level a city for being short-changed, and attempts to defend the city would in itself risk becoming grudges.

And sure, dwarfs are greedy and they've got all the diplomatic grace of a stone mallet, but speaking exclusively of the mountain dwarfs, I can't think of any cases where this has resulted in them attacking other people. Obviously, there's likely some expat dwarfs and such that are essentially rogues and thieves and so on, but these are outliers and likely rationalize what they're doing as to not conflict with their dwarf ideals.

I'm thinking of getting my hands on Total Warhammer while it's on sale. Is it any good?

they cannot target Magic Missiles at units engaged in close combat, IIRC. this spell is Direct Damage.

you can totally hex/augment/vortex units in close combat, that's for sure

The Skaven are all the cool features of the Orkz, Tyranids, and Dark Eldar.

No-no man-things, we are your greatest-bestest ally-friend, heh-heh...

It's great. Get the wood elves DLC

You pretty much show how little objectivity is in the view of the dwarves but don't get me wrong, I don't try to start a fight here.
Here is my point:
Dwarves are closeminded and stubborn and they would never admit they were wrong in one way or another. At least not in any heavy stuff.
The next possible falsification of events is that most we know about dwarves from a foreign point of view is the Empire which is a close ally to the Dwaves, so of course we hear nothing but positive stuff about them and if someone says otherwise he of course is just some mumbling idiot who we shouldn't take serious.
IF there is one single dwarve or one clan who goes rogue it is of course just, like you said, outlier.
In the end dwarves are 100% good because we ignore everything that doesn't support their image.
>Chaos dwarves?
Don't count.
>Imperial dwarves rogues?
Don't count
>invading wood elve territory and destroying their homeland?
Grudge so doesn't count
>Dwarf slaughtered my whole family?
Some Grand Grand Grand father sold his father an apple that was for its price below average meaning grudge so it doesn't count.

What about Bretonnia doesn't make sense?

Any good WFRP homebrew careers for the different types of elves?

Warpstone isn't official but it was long-running (1995 to last year maybe?). Somehow they managed to avoid GW's lawyers for twenty years while selling a print WFRP magazine.

I don't think there's an army list in there, but there are WFRP 2e stats.
It's pretty sweet content in general.

newsthump.com/2016/03/01/isis-declares-fatwa-against-warhammer-age-of-sigmar/

Didn't they die few years ago when FFG proved they are bigger jerks than GW, by sending cease and detist order to guys even Gee Dubs left alone?

>In the end dwarves are 100% good because we ignore everything that doesn't support their image.

Nono, I'm not saying that they are 100% good. Quite the opposite. I was saying that that closeminded stubbornness is why they're not actually 100% good.

I'm not arguing that you're wrong for saying that they're not entirely "good", I was just saying that I don't agree with your reasoning for saying that they're not entirely "good". I can't think of any time the mountain dwarves didn't have a "proper" cassus belli, at least by their own logic, or when they attacked someone out of greed, expansionism or malice.

This doesn't mean that there's not utter bullshit reasons for some of their conflicts.

In an alignment sense, they epitomize Lawful Neutral, come hell or high water, they can be Lawful Good at times, and they can be just as Lawful Evil when it suits them, but more than that, they care about order and tradition more than anything. Even after exercising proper bullshit grudges that end up in massive suffering for all involved, they go home afterwards, instead of occupying, even when occupying would likely have been an improvement over the state they leave things in.

I think we can all agree that razing a city and killing the defenders because you were short-changed isn't exactly a good thing to do. It's just that we associate the behaviour of the dwarfs with good, but on closer examination, some of their actions are deeply questionable when it comes to the morality of it.

>What about Bretonnia doesn't make sense?
The fact that it's a high-medieval country set in an era of chivalry, sandwiched between The Empire/Kislev, which are slowly entering the renaissance/enlightenment era and are absolutely not in the conceptual dark ages anymore, and Estalia/Tilea, which are smak-dab in a mish-mash of the Age of Exploration and the Renaissance.

Modern-fluff Bretonnia is definitely an oddity, and more than a little bit anachronistic.

Hi, were Plague Monks on 20 or 25 mm bases?

So All my Fantasy mates are getting into Mordheim and I want to run a theme.

Is there a Trollslayers Warband rules? Official Unofficial or made by fans?

9th age has all the plague skaven on foot at 20x20

There is the official Dwarf Treasure Hunters, who can have up to 2 Slayers as Heroes.
There is an unofficial Troll Slayer warband here: yaktribe.org/community/attachments/dwarf-trollslayer-warband-pdf.1087/

Tight fit for the plague priest, but okay.

Was that their standard in 8th?

Related question, do dwarfs ever settle a grudge that *doesn't* end in murder? Like paying fines or shit? Seems like they always jump straight to, "Grudge! Pay with ye life!"

Dwarfs can choose to ask for gold instead, for whatever amount they feel is fair.
They asked for gold to prevent the War of Vengeance, the exact amount stolen by Dark Elves that they thought was High Elves, after Caledor II refused to deny that he stole it in the first place. They demanded blood after the beard shaving that the gold request resulted in.

Its implied that the reason the Dwarfs demand so much gold to return the Phoenix Crown is to cross all Elf Grudges off as settled.

Yes, it's probably most of the time done this way. Monetary compensation probably just doesn't make for good stories, so you don't hear much of it.

>They demanded blood after the beard shaving that the gold request
Why not hair instead
you don't have to answer this

elves are elves. they will be popular no matter what.

Elves don't have beards, they can't grow any hair other than heads and eyebrows according to canon.

Also there's no Elf equivalent to beards other than a symbol of unity and favor of their gods. Like the Phoenix Crown...

Got any suggestions for starting points in WFRP 2e, preferably for a fresh party of adventurers? I always have a difficult time with this kind of thing.

pretty sure tyrion was beginning to grow a beard when he was on the run with allarielle.

Eh, beardlessness is BL continuity ripped from D&D.

Here are the base sizes for 8th
mega.nz/#!bJA1BZQQ!H8WjG-CwwWYxoo9e0tfdFGaGnhebHS9vEZiY7nEBQJA

Just run the introductionary adventure from the Core Rulebook. It starts you in Untergard and has you end up in Middenheim. If you want to, you can combine the entirety of that starting adventure with the starting adventure in the Game Master's Pack by just changing some of the locations.

Should end up as a solid and engaging starting adventure, since you'll basically have two questlines and the players can't be sure if they relate to eachother.

Nah, I wouldn't call it a "fine", but the punishment really is dependent on the crime. The real issue is that grudges become unsettle-able when the offense is grave.

If you insult a dwarfs beard, for example, it would be awkward to be like "Welp! Pay me money or I'll beat you to death." but it's potentially a grudging that would require some measure of satisfaction, which could be something like a sincere apology, but that will obviously not be voiced.

Honestly, you can probably get really far with the dwarfs if you just humble yourself and beg for forgiveness. Obviously, the elves won't have any of that shit. And that's part of why elves are assholes. Because while dwarfs might be obstinate and demanding, their grudges are based on perceived slights to personal honour.

The elves just thinks that they're better than anyone else and why should they apologize to those that are so far beneath them?

Remember, everyone, it's not rape if it's an elf.

Thanks for the Warpstone, Fimiranon!

>it's not rape if it's an elf
Memetastic post, upvoted. Makes me really believe all the rest you posted, makes it sound really unbiased.

Which Chaos God are Fimir most aligned with? Are they Undivided?

I play Daemons and like to mix mortal worshipers in, hence me asking.

I think they're technically undivided, seeing as they fell out of favour with Chaos anyway.

That said, I would lean towards Nurgle for the marshy, decaying fen aspect, or Tzeentch for mutations.

What issue do Dwarfs have with the undead?