>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous Thread: What are your expectations for the next UA? Surely it's going to be impressive because it took so long, right?

> Ranger UA
I don't expect great things.

I thought they were skipping Ranger, that's why they didn't do one on Monday?

Got a question for you Bros.

I'm kicking off a short (7-10 session) campaign tonight, and I'm wanting to give it a heavy fairy tale flavor to it. Beyond the greater story about the party needing to save a princess from a dragon, I'm trying to cook up some smaller fairy tale themed encounters. The party is going to have to travel through a really large, haunted forest (appropriately called the Grimmswood) So there's plenty of opportunity for encounters in there.

So far I've got a long bridge with a troll living underneath it, and a trio of Hill Giants arguing about who should be chief. Maybe a witches house that either has legs baba yaga style, or is made of delicious edible material a la Hansel and Gretel.

You Gents have any other ideas?

>What are your expectations for the next UA? Surely it's going to be impressive because it took so long, right?

I will be written half-assed on the morning it's supposed to release. Mike Mearls is a lazy fuck. Of course it will be about the poor ranger too.

Big Bad Wolf. He huffs, he puffs and blows houses down.

Asked this last night, but it was in a dying thread:

I'm thinking of putting a collection of monsters up on the DM's guild (for free, or almost nothing), because I'm bored and like making monsters. I've got a lot of ideas, but they're pretty easy to modify, mechanically so: what do people actually want? What sort of CR ranges, what types, do people like things with weird weaknesses or not?

Would you let a player take a Homunculus as a Familiar? If not is there any official rules on the creation of one?

low CR ranges are what are most likely to be used

high CR ranges are what will most likely make someone say "oh this looks cool"

It helps to have them connected in some way. Doesn't have to be a way to connect all of them, but a grouping of 4-6, from grunts to a spellcaster alt version to a leader type.

"Pay what you want" seems to be a good option for the type of thing you want to do. Free if someone just wants to look at it, and they can come back and pay later if they appreciate the content.

Thematically-linked creatures are good. They don't have to be biologically linked, but it's nice to see a creature and its typical minions together. Volo's did a great job of linking the monsters together to give DMs who don't know the history of said monsters a way to create group encounters.

Stuff in the CR 5 to 11 range is the most useful to the largest number of people IMO. They're low enough to be solo or small encounters for low level groups but high enough to be used en masse in a high level campaign.

Weird weaknesses are ok as long as the creature can still die conventionally.

Wizards should just remove ranger as a class in future editions. It's a fighter subclass or background feature at most.

yeah, I'm looking at incorporating some kind of unkillable direwolf as well.

The OP image reminds me, anyone have a better alternative to the Goliath racial traits? As they stand, they range from nearly useless to utterly pointless.

I was thinking replace the high altitude thing with a climb speed or at least make it so climbing doesn't cut speed. Maybe replace the athletics proficiency wth insight (or make that a sub race choice). The large size fit pushing is nearly useless, but what if it A. Counted you as large for grapples and shove actions, B Just gave advantage on the defense against them, C allowed you to use the versatile profile of a weapon one handed, but no additional bonus for two handing them. That way great swords axes and mauls still had a purpose. Or D some combination of the previous.

Don't make thing unkillable.

You player will see it as a challenge and try to kill it, exploit it or just throw themselves at it. It will derail the session.

Strong Build is incredibly useful if your DM actually lets you use it.

For reference, a 16 STR, so safely level 1, Goliath can lift and carry 480 lbs without even exerting themselves, and can push 960 lbs without much effort either.

So a 16 STR Goliath can lift and carry most Medium creatures without any effort at all, and could in theory throw them around like ragdolls into stage hazards.

A level 20 Goliath Barbarian can lift 720 lbs without needing a check and easily carry that around without exerting themselves.

I know it's not very fairy tale-ish, but maybe you could throw a skinwalker/evil doppelganger. Something masquerading as granger person to lure the PC's into a trap where they'll get eaten.

Yea, i would just reskin the Pseudo-dragon that the Warlock can use.

If we go that way we should remove all classes and leave fightingman and magemate

I'm expecting the Courtesan Rogue, and I'm expecting it to try to balance between being about sex and not mentioning sex and failing hilariously.

As someone who played Warlock 1-13, this is actually 100% accurate. Without changing up the rest rules, almost nobody ever takes a short (1 hour) rest in the middle of an adventuring day, so you have to get the absolute most out of every single slot. That usually means Hex.

I should probably have mentioned for a non-warlock class, though I suppose technically there's no reason they couldn't have one as a familiar without the Warlock bonuses they get.

Are you sure you're doing it right?

You can only benefit from Long Rest once per day. The party is suppose to fight 4-5 encounter per day. Usually a mix of Hard and Deadly encounter.

Like said, if you use encumbrance rules Strong Build is already fantastic, especially considering the surprisingly heavy weight of starting packages.

Also, +2 strength is a pretty decent feature. Very few races have +2 to a primary attacking stat, and they don't typically have too much else.

Except those dirty elves and uncultured mountain dwarves, but I'm not counting fanboy races.

Of course there's a reason. Find Familiar only lets you take tiny beasts (reskinned as celestials/fey/fiend), not badass pseudodragons.

How often do you take more than a single 1-hour rest during a dungeon crawl?

>almost nobody ever takes a short (1 hour) rest in the middle of an adventuring day
Your experience is not everyone else's experience. Hex is downright weak compared to what a warlock can do at higher levels, and the "Hex or nothing" mentality contributes to the perception of warlock as bottom-tier shit.

Have his Homunculus start out like a regular familiar, like a bat or something, and give him a quest/adventure hook to improve it with some kind of magical infusion so make it better. I mean, is he's really into this familiar and wants to make it important to his character i'd go so far as to have the thing Digivolve over time and be akin to the Revised Ranger beast companion at some point.

I'm about to run a sandbox homebrew for some first time players.
>I have a secret plan that I can't tell you
>You won't be able to stop me

I mean unkillable in the sense that after it's corporeal form is felled, it reforms after a short while from the fear the kingdom has of it.

The goliath is perfectly fine and in line with most other races. They are great at doing what they do, and that is being half-naked mountain jocks that can lift heavy shit

Most grapplers I make are goliaths

yeah, maybe. I'm trying to find things that have direct ties to well known, or at least established, fairy tales.

Cool, I'll try to give things a weak, middling and strong form where it makes sense to do so. (Or an "add these features to make it harder" block at the end)

One more question: plants. Like, not plant-themed monsters but non-mobile but still fantastic plants (or fungi, sponges, corals, algae). Does anyone else care about them?

Make them run from the wolf into the witch house. They have 3 turns until the wolf blows the house down. If they fail to escape, make the witch appears, get mad and fight the wolf so the PC can run.

My group is 2 warlocks, a moon druid, and a battlemaster fighter. With me as a Wizard. We short rest all the time. We usually short rest after every fight in the dungeon.

>clear a room of baddies. Close doors to room. Rest for an hour. Proceed.

The druid even stays in Wildshape while resting. We're level 4, so he can stay Wildshaped for 2 hours. Battles and walking around a dungeon don't accumulate to an hour by the time the warlocks use their spell slots.

What I would like is a long rest...I haven't slept in days!

Asking again. Does anyone have that cool Mind Flayer armor concept art that was going around here a few weeks ago? It was very Giger-esque.

mechanically speaking sure, but it's right in the book that they don't necessarily only pact with Warlocks.

Here's some birb familiars, since I'm still undecided on what I want to go with.

The reason I was considering a Familiar in the first place is backstory related already, and the character is a UA Ranger, I'm just undecided on what kind of critter to use for it. As of now it's boiled down to Owl, Raven, or Homonculus.

Owl seems to be the best scout with Darkvision 120 feet, however Raven's Mimicry would be good for giving basic commands to doggo from far away. Homunculus is mainly just as a flavor idea, I might just make my own and use the Owl statblock.

Pretty sure no long rest should result in exhaustion levels...

>Pretty sure no long rest should result in exhaustion levels...
Pretty sure that would involve reading the rulebooks.

If someone's party takes 4 hours of short rests in a single day on a regular basis, I'd be genuinely surprised. Traveling makes it a huge waste of time, and dungeon exploration doesn't tend to provide the opportunity. I think that the warlock was designed with 4e-style 5-minute short rests and they just figured they're not gonna alter it when they made rests longer.
I think hex is actually an amazingly strong spell when combined with EB+invocations, and the warlock really doesn't get better offensive options until he starts getting his mystics arcanums anyway. But I admit I wasn't clear - I meant that the warlock shouldn't use spell slots on spells other than hex during fights.
The warlock has some truly excellent utility spells like charm person, comprehend languages, suggestion, fly, magic circle, dream, and many more. And he should be using them a lot... on days that include little to no combat.

What sort of dungeon has no patrols and rooms where you can murder everyone without anybody else noticing for a whole hour? Genuine question.

It says they don't only pact with warlocks but that doesn't mean Find Familiar gets them. It means the DM can feel like giving a pseudodragon to any player, and can also take it away.

Wait. So the character is a UA Beastmaster and he's taking an owl, a raven or a homonculus?

That's pretty shitty.

I guess you are right. I think my biggest problem is that the altitude thing is nearly useless.

Anyone know what Matt Mercer did to port Goliath to 5e cause I think he did it before there were official rules. I could be wrong though.

I'll usually forget to use them, but they're a great way to make the party approach an area differently.

I don't know if this would be the right thread, but a while ago I seen a 3d dungeon generator system. they showcased it with gifs of rolling dice at a goblin mini, but I can't remember its name.

>I meant that the warlock shouldn't use spell slots on spells other than hex during fights.
Yes, I think you're wrong on that point. 1d6 extra damage on 2-3 blasts isn't jack shit compared to removing a creature's ability to fight. Start thinking of party resources instead of just your own.

You don't need 4 hours of short rests in a day. 2 would suffice.

No I mean in addition to the beast.

The character in question has a Dire Wolf, so I need some way to communicate with them without being in LOS since most inns don't let a fucking horse-size wolf in it regardless of how well trained it is.

As of now the options are Raven so it can speak basic commands, or an Owl that would have to get by with pecking the doggo in the ear to get it's attention, and if it's an emergency they can cast Beast Bond since it has a range of Touch.

I agree only partially. If the warlock is the only "caster" in the party, then yes, he should focus on disables. But since the class was never meant to be a wizard alternative but rather a rogue alternative, it should usually find itself in a party with a wizard or cleric who are much better at CC than it is. EB+Agonizing+Repelling+Hex is so filthy that it's a shame to waste it if you don't have to.
2 hours of rest is more reasonable, at least during overland travel. Still probably won't happen during dungeon delves, but I guess that's something.

What about a replacement for that stupid d12 daily. Would it be too much to make it short rest and a d6 potentially with no con bonus? Or maybe just short rest and it's flat con bonus.

why, the last ranger update was awesome. I'd be more worried simply by the dodgy performance of the UAs so far rather than the fact that it's centered on the ranger specifically.

Depend on the dungeon. Usually 1 or 2, But that didn't account for an encounter you should have face while traveling to the dungeon.

How many PC deaths per session do you prefer?

How many TPKs per session?

Additionally, whether you're a player, DM, etc might give interesting context to your opinions.

Convert "per session" however you feel appropriate for the number you come up with. IE, maybe you like one PC death around every session, or only around every ten sessions. Maybe you don't like TPKs to happen at all / extremely infrequently, or maybe you're a meatgrinder DM and your group likes to make new characters every other week.

I ask this because my group has never completed a campaign. We have a character death every 5-6 sessions maybe, and a TPK maybe every ten. I'm curious whether this is typical or not.

This isn't some rant about the DM killing characters off or whatever, I'm just curious where your ideal risk preference lies. I got thinking about this after considering that many modern video games are only hard enough that you die once or twice over the entire game, with individual encounters only rarely even being dangerous.

Grog is a regular 5e goliath

An Archfey warlock can concentrate on Faerie Fire. Advantage on multiple targets is going to lead to more offense than Hex.

A party can coordinate with a GOO warlock to surround an enemy and he can cast Dissonant Whispers to setup multiple opportunity attacks.

A Fiend warlock does not have to concentrate on Blindness/Deafness, and the advantage granted by that spell (on multiple targets at level 5 and beyond) is an offensive boon. If he piles on a Fireball with the wizard's Fireball, the mooks of a fight might get wiped out before they can attack anyone, saving hit points and other resources the party might have had to expend.

It's not about just CC, it's about thinking of what the party spends because the warlock thinks Hex is the only worthwhile combat spell.

Ask your DM I guess? Though if you were to ask me the answer would be no

>What sort of dungeon has no patrols and rooms where you can murder everyone without anybody else noticing for a whole hour? Genuine question.

A dungeon that doesn't have alot of badguys in it. Additionally the badguys were mostly just "monsters" hanging out here. No centralized concept of enemies here.

These were the encounters
>Room with pillars, magic negated in room, leaving through the east exit caused the pillars to come to spawn Stone Swordsmen.
>Mimic as a Mirror
>Locked room with Drow in it, who had clearly been trapped in there for a long ass time, as per the DM's description of them being malnourished and shit.
>Beholder hiding in magical darkness that it can see out of but we obviously cant see into
>Walking across a tight-rope bridge and having the ceiling be covered in Dark Mantles that can fall on us
>Floating Skeleton arms emerge out of a pool of what seems to be oil
>Some kind of long armed creature that was real good at grappling pulled my character into a hole.

Then we went and fought the boss who was some guy performing a ritual. He turned into somekind of half man half beholder thing. This was all in the ruins of the old city which was under the secret city of political rebels, which was under the main city.

> Dungeon exploration doesn't provide opportunity
Not a problem with Wizard. Rope Trick. Tiny Hut.

Your DM is hilariously retarded or autisticaly spiteful. TPKs should never happen unless the party is literally nothing but morons, and even morons learn eventually.

I am willing to concede those points.

Thanks! I already downloaded this, but it's good to see some user love for psionic.

Must you post this every day?

All right, that's fair. Ancient ruins are probably a good dungeon if you really have to rest.
Maybe I'm limiting myself. Or the group I played a warlock with doesn't do the right kind of dungeons. Or maybe they hate resting. I'll withhold judgment until I have more experience.

You can die in 5e? I mean... My Level 5 PC got hit with a Finger of Death spell and he still hasn't die.

>Must you post this every day?
>
EVERY
THREAD

>If someone's party takes 4 hours of short rests in a single day on a regular basis, I'd be genuinely surprised.
There are 24 hours in a day, 8 used for sleeping. Add 4 for short rests and you still have 12 whole hours for adventuring and travel.

I don't see the issue.

Adventurers don't stop to eat or piss or shit. Get out of here. They're automatons with endless energy and no bodily functions. Those activities are too vigorous to allow for a rest.

How long do your group's sessions run?

How much of that time is spent outside of combat, either on RP, or exploration, or just on inter-party debate?

4-6 hours on average.

We tend to have a mix of crawl-heavy sessions and RP/exploration sessions where you might only get one combat if you go hunting for it. This also depends on who's GMing this particular part of the adventure.

I'm making my first character ever. What are some desert regions in the world of D&D?

>D&D
>1 world

If your GM hasn't specified the world you're in, ask them.

Yeah, so a good solo enemy for four level fours would be the equivalent of a level 32 adventurer. So obviously 32 is not really a god breaker without magical items and boons and such.

You know what I meant. Please don't reply if you're not going to contribute.

This is the future you chose.

Forgotten Realms is all there is. There is nothing else. Even homebrew settings are in the not-Realms.

An entire generation will come of age believing this.

GREYHAWK WILL NEVER DIE

Ice doggo or dog-color doggo?

I feel like speshul snowflake colored wolf is leaning too far on the faggotry scale.

If you're playing in Forgotten Realms, Zakhara is the ARABIAN NIIIIGHTS area. There's also Calimshan and Anauroch, but those are just kind of a desert where white poeple live and a desert where horrible monsters live, respectively.

>You know what I meant.
Birthright, Blackmoor, Council of Wyrms, Dark Sun, Dragon Fist, Dragonlance, Eberron, Forgotten Realms, Ghostwalk, Greyhawk, Jakandor, Kingdoms of Kalamar, Lankhmar, Mahasarpa, Mystara, Nentir Vale, Pelinore, Planescape, Ravenloft, Rokugan, Spelljammer, Thunder Rift, Warcrasft, or Wilderlands of High Fantasy?

Make snow doggo's blanket blue.

It's because it's a game for beginners, I guess. So generic ass Forgoten Realms fantasyland. We're going to start on Neverwinter but I don't think the DM cares about making the place consistent.

user is a douche but user is right. There is no default D&D world, even when one is implied.
Are you playing a released module? Then it's probably Forgotten Realms, and you can probably go with a Calishite character (from Calimshan), which is the setting stand-in for Arabs.
If not, then please figure out what world you're playing in. If it's a homebrew setting, none of us can help you anyway.

As D&D #1 primo dumping grounds for 3rd-party content, FR is truly excellent.
For anything else, it's, uh, not.

Greyhawk was a mistake.

Well, the way it was marketed was a mistake. They never made it clear that Greyhawk is essentially a comedy setting.

All the colors on the wolf are still WIP, it was just red to match the Ranger's clothes.

It's got the best pantheon though.

If it's confirmed FR, see . But do note that FR is not generic-ass fantasyland.

FR is generic-ass high-magic gods-involved-in-everything improbably-ecosystems too-many-intelligent-races fantasyland. If you want generic, try Greyhawk or Dragonlance.

Make his feets white. If possible add a nice trim to the blanket, maybe a yellow/gold color.

Then it is perfect.

>Implying the best pantheon isn't Lawful Good Dragons Vs Chaotic Evil Dragons Vs Nerd With A Book

How long has it been now?

It's dead, Jim.

Looks pretty good, making the poncho blue helps make them not look like that anime vampire too.

I'll probably redo the trim to a design like the poncho though.

Ye son

A level 32 barbarian or fighter should be able to smash through any damn troll slayer with a single mighty punch, gear or no gear.

I'm about to run a D&D5e game for the first time.

My only experience has been with Pathfinder.

Are there any recommended DM screens for 5e?

joke's on you, a 24 STR character would do 8 damage on an unarmed strike without a feat like Tavern Brawler!

Do you have any links for Spelljammer or planescape resources.
Setting i'm doing is planescape on the material plane so its a lot of wacky bullshit thats going to happen and be played as straight and normal.
I'm hoping, though, that I can lead my players to a high enough level where they can interact with some greater dieties to make spelljammer styled exploration a thing.

Hey I am playing lost mines and we got a goblin joining our party. I am a farily new player but do NPC level up at all? The Goblin is pretty weak would be nice if he got some extra HP on him. I plan on buying him some armor soon to give him a boost to his AC but want to know if he can naturally get better.

Not sure if this is specific enough to what you're looking for, but stumbling across the Fey Court carousing in the moonlight is about as fairytale as it gets. Bonus points if they have to save to leave.

If he significantly contributes to combat then yes, he does take experience. It is, however, up to the GM to decide how they do this. Ask him about it. Suggest shit like increasing hit die and proficiency bonus.

>long bridge with a troll living underneath it,

Hey guys, explain why my homebrew is shite

Have you guys ever recruited someone via posters? How'd you go about making it eye catching?

can't kiss it

I hate dragonlance so much..shame on me that sometime ago i liked it.
I cannot imagine what people at the time thought when fantasy went from diying earth to that.

Yoooooooooooooooooo thanks man!

>Beetle that can't fly
>Beetle that does necrotic sound damage
>Beetle that can camouflage like any other being
>Beetle can only bite
>No PC Race option

Is this a humanoid-ish monster? Or just a fuckhuge beetle?