Hi y'all. This is my first time on Veeky Forums but I didn't see a FAQ or sticky for this so I figured I'd ask here

Hi y'all. This is my first time on Veeky Forums but I didn't see a FAQ or sticky for this so I figured I'd ask here.

I'm a successful non-NEET who wants to get involved with DnD style games and all that jazz. What would your recommendations be for a beginner? Favorite genre is science fiction, if you could find me some space-based RPG on a spaceship or something. But I'm looking to get really invested and sucked into a world in a way video games can't.

Also, if there's some good quickstart guide to these types of games online, any pointers would be appreciated!

>I didn't see a FAQ or sticky
Yeah, mod should work on this
>DnD style games
so TTRPGs, right?
>What would your recommendations be for a beginner?
D&D 5e for fantasy, it's not difficult to learn and one of the few games you'll find players and GMs for
Shadowrun (rebellious criminals vs corporations), Eclipse Phase (weird shit but it has a general here), Traveller (no comments, didn't research it) for Sci-Fi

I suggest Traveller (if you like space stuff): Shadowrun (Cyberpunk):

and GURPS: whatever you do, stay away from D&D, it's a terrible RPG

>so TTRPGs, right?
For future reference, correct!

Thanks guys, I'll check it out!

>stay away from D&D, it's a terrible RPG
Is it shitposting time already?

Anyway, OP, aside from the games mentioned by the other anons, there's a Star Wars RPG if you like that. You can find information about it on its general.

>I'm looking to get really invested and sucked into a world in a way video games can't.

do you want to make him hate RPGs by telling him to play a tabletop MMORPG?

>Normie wants spoon-feeding

Figure it out yourself.

Beginner-friendly RPGs are few and far between.

Ryuutama is/contains a great tutorial for new players and GMs of scenario-based fantasy games.
Apocalypse World codified many of the unwritten and unspoken rules and best practices of GMing, so that is a good starting point, too, if you prefer a post-apocalyptic sandbox.

And don't bother with D&D. The only thing that franchise has going for it is marketing.

>muh seekreet klub
>muh you don't deserve to fap if you can't figure out sandpanda

>being an asshole to a guy who just wants to learn

Everyone starts somewhere, user. Traditional games are a social hobby. Chances are most people posting on Veeky Forums got into Veeky Forums-related stuff thanks to someone else showing them the ropes, so no, it doesn't behoove us to drive away everyone who expresses interest in joining the fun. That's /v/-tier bullshittery of the highest order and we're better than that.

It costs you nothing to be nice and help a guy out.

asked it in another thread but I guess it'd be more appropriate here: a few months ago I seen an up-and-coming 3d map generator system/game. It was showcased at the time along with the ability to roll dice, and for that they were throwing them at a goblin miniature in the game. I can't find the thing for the life of me, and was hoping someone here would know what it was called/where I could find regular updates.

If you want to do simple and easy space shenanigans, Stars Without Numbers is an A+ system to get familiar with. The standard setup is about a ragtag bunch of poor suckers on a spaceship, taking risks to buy fuel.

First of all:
> Get out reee!

Now, with that out of the way, I'd like to agree with and recommend Fantasy Flight Games's Star Wars games, they're very good and it will be easy to find a group. Since everyone knows Star Wars by now, you don't have to read too much background and you'll know most of the universe's assumptions.

There are three different Star Wars RPGs out from Famtasy Flight: Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion, and Force and Destiny. You're interests lies with Edge of the Empire, often shortened to EotE. The group starts with a Freighter-type Starship, and basically live on the fringes of the Star Wars Universe as Cargo Haulers, Bounty Hunters, Smugglers...the dregs of Star Wars Society. There's a great blue-collar "truckers in space"-tone to the game.

How do you plan to find a group, btw?

Feel free to check out the PDF sharing thread here for a whole bunch of options (for free!)

>Yeah, mod should work on this
What's wrong with the six-year old sticky that tells people to put the dice syntax in the email field?

OP, Traveller is probably the easiest sci-fi RPG to get into (the Mongoose edition is the one I would recommend), but Stars Without Number is pretty simple too.

The best advice I can give, though, is to find a group who already play RPGs and ask if you can join them for a while to get your feet wet.

Veeky Forums has Game Finder threads regularly that act as meetup posts, so check the catalog until you find one.

This isn't /a/, y'all need to chill the fuck out.

>What's wrong with the six-year old sticky that tells people to put the dice syntax in the email field?
Nothing, it's just not enough

>Yeah, mod should work on this

Fuck no! The last time that asshole "helped" us, he banned draw fags (and lied about it), banned threads discussing settings, banned threads having to do with board culture and idea-brainstorming, asked for criticism and banned anyone who replied, then finally had a baby fit and posted the eternal sticky as a last minute 'haha, I win!'

The only thing that cum stain should work on is killing himself. Not being hyperbolic: fagmod, PLEASE kill yourself if you're still around.

Most of the best suggestions for sci-fi have been made. Traveller, Shadowrun, Cyberpunk 2020. GURPS handles it decently, too. There's also branded systems, like Edge of the Empire. Just don't use D&D for sci-fi.

I don't speak english very well, especially verbally and want to try some tabletop rpg via skype, d20 or whatever. Can i get away with it, without speaking much, or i shouldn't even bother trying?

Considering close to 100% of RPGs is talking, no.

You can get far by showing serious effort at improving, user.

>I don't speak english very well, especially verbally and want to try some tabletop rpg via skype, d20 or whatever. Can i get away with it, without speaking much, or i shouldn't even bother trying?
Consider using IRC or another text-based medium.

Might as well ask this here, since it might be relevant to OP's question:

How beginner-friendly is FATE Core for someone new to TTRPGs? They heavily advertise how the system can be adapted to any setting, how well does it fare in Sci-Fi?

This. The slower flow should help, too.

Plus you can read what other people have written a few times to make sure you're comprehending it correctly.