Modern SFM

12 days until they announce my return

I'm for it. Picked up my Playsetty the other week. Doesn't matter if it isn't unbanned, I still needed them for legacy.

Sounds great to me. WOTC can intentionally ruin Modern to push more people into the savior of MTG Frontier

Frontier is a meme and if it was ever going to be a thing needs at least another 4-5 years of sets to be interesting

Except it won't be, because khans was on a different level compared to kaladesh

>2 cmc tutor
how about no?

Frontier should start at Origins and shouldn't be released for a couple more years.

stoned mystic and counter spell should both be unbanned

Why do people have this hard on to make new formats all the time anyway?
The paradigm we have at the moment of Standard , Modern and Legacy works just fine.
Whenever people try bring a format in on their own it dies within a few months, please refer to Tiny Leaders as an example.

JITTE DID NOTHING WRONG

except it's broken

Counterspell isn't banned. It is simply not a legal card in the format. Being banned in the format assumes it was once legal. Counterspell has never been printed past 8th Edition in a normal set. I think it should be, but thems the brakes.

If being broken was a cause for banning, a lot more cards would need to be banned, and other would be unbanned.

Why do you think they should reprint Counterspell? Honestly curious, not trying to hassle your hoff.

Because I think modern having to use Remand instead of counterspell is just insane. Modern is an insanely fast format where many decks just don't interact with you. Giving players access to ways to slow the game down is what we need for a healthier metagame.
I say this as someone who hates playing against stuff like Miracles in legacy. I don't like super strong control decks, but I think there should be a place for them in the game, since they keep other decks in check. if not for cards like Counterspell and FoW, combo decks would be insanely overpowered in Legacy.

We see the same thing happening in modern but with crazy fast aggro strategies instead of combo.

Frontier is being beaten by Duel Commander in my city. Only fags mad at losing money on their "$40 Standard staples" are playing Frontier but even Legacy players are playing Duel Commander since it went down to 20hp.

Interesting. Thanks buddy!

Frontier is pushed hard by some specific card store in Japan, who probably overinvested in Khans and want to raise the prices of fetches.

Different user, looking to springboard this idea off yours.

Why don't they just print specific cards in the latest Modern Masters set that just bypass Standard and be made Modern-legal. So in your example, they print Counterspell in MM2017, making the card - and its various reprints - legal for Modern use.

But then again, they have admitted to never testing any cards made in Standard for Modern, so the odds of that happening are slim to none.

Different user, but all the 2cmc counters that we have in the format right now are conditional, and lend themselves much better to a tempo deck, or are played to protect a combo deck.
An actual 2cmc hard counter would give you an incentive to shoot for the late game.
I'm also of the opinion that force of will would be good for modern.It's such a well designed card in that you stop combos, but you minus really hard when you have to cast it for zero mana.
I also think that a tec edge with the stupid four or more lands clause removed would be good for the format too.
That would be confusing for new players, user.

But Modern Masters isn't even aimed at new players. It's aimed at the existing player base. Almost every LGS will tell a new kid looking to get into Magic to buy a starter deck and play Standard, and if they like the game then look into the other formats.

Because they believe that the point of modern is that the cards are tested for standard first. Which is stupid since they obviously didn't see Eye of Ugin+Mimic coming.
I wish we could get cards added to modern that way, in the same way Legacy gets things through Conspiracy and Commander. The problem with the rise and fall of power level sets means that we're consistently not-very-likely to get good reprints, especially for pre-modern cards.