MTG EDH/Commander General

We Deserve Better Than Laziness Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

Thread Topic:
>What's your favorite archetype and do you have any related spicy tech that you love?

Other urls found in this thread:

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=394633
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=389427
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=51610
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=409848
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=228246
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=253512
basiclandart.tumblr.com/
basiclandart.tumblr.com/search/swamp
edhrec.com/commanders/gw/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/do-the-goblin-wave/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>What's your favorite archetype and do you have any related spicy tech that you love?
I just love turning dudes sideways. Aggro goes in all the formats.

That edition name, kek

Token aggro can pull off some dumb shit, especially with pic related. One good swing and you've ramped hard enough to do whatever the hell you want.

>What's your favorite archetype?

I'll always be a control player at heart. Aggro is fun, don't get me wrong. But I rather enjoy telling my opponents they don't get to play Magic the Gathering today. And stopping others from winning is just as important as you yourself winning.

Combo.
It always has been and remains the only really viable win condition in EDH. I like playing because it's fun and at the end of the day everyone is playing to win(with the exception of group hug shitters). Don't whine when I win before you do, that's just how it goes sometimes. Let's shuffle up and play again,because isn't that was we're all here to do? Play games of magic, and the more the better.

I am partial to combo and control. My group is full of Timmy's who always build decks with 30+ creatures and most of my decks are less than twenty, usually closer to ten.

Control is my favorite archetype, I like being interactive and saying "wait please, in response...", playing at instant speed is just too much fun

>any secret tech

No Im not creative, I just play good cards everybody knows about

>That edition name
You're a good man, OP.

You know Braids is banned right...

>Combo decks
>Fun

I'll give you the only viable win condition. But fun, really? I've built combo as well as faced it. They are not fun to pilot, and even less so to play against.

>What's your favorite archetype
Voltron, Zurgo is my baby but I also run Aurelia.

My Odric Tribal soldier is very fun too.

Is it banned in duel commander? He says those bottom two are for duel commander not regular edh (where braids is definitely banned, I'm just not sure about in duel commander)

>Breya Eggs
I've been trying to brew a list for this too
It's a real bitch with singleton though

Idk man I think it depends on what the combo is

Easy 2 card combos that don't involve much set up aren't that fun to play with or against, but I think it can be a lot of fun to set up combos with lots of moving parts, storm and storm-like decks that involve drawing lots of cards and making lots of mana, but not necessarily going infinite with either, can be a lot of fun, like puzzles

What's BroStorm? Wild Pair?

Depends how you build it. Pillowfort/control combo is boring as sin. Playing go-for-broke math featuring ghave or darietti is fun as fuck.

Is spellslinger an archetype? I guess it would fall under the umbrella of combo, but pooping out spells and blowing up permanents that try to fuck with you is fun.

Also Voltron. A bar near me has an EDH league and new niggas sleep on Godo.

>tfw pic related looks really cool but is best suited to deck manipulation heavy goodstuff

I want to build a Depala vehicles deck. what are some good cards that I should run besides dwarves and vehicles?

I want to make a art-based deck, full of beautiful artwork and good looking cards. Doesnt have to be good, just playable.
What should it be?

>hard mode: no judge promos

start your engines, new aer card siege modification, maybe the new peacwalker colossus for some more easy crew mechanic

she is good in the 99 too. You dont have to build around her

Just don't include anything printed with the m15 border and all the art should be good

I love the Lorwyn lands.
and Baleful Strix

something Bant, but just with alara and alara-related cards

bant auras, dude

Man i want a set of the dimir lands for my Oona deck

Uptoke

I've been doing a similar concept with my mono-blue deck. I run pic related as my main wincon purely due to the art.
I'd suggest looking into some of the other underplayed blue mythics since they usually have really interesting art.

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=394633
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=389427
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=51610
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=409848
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=228246
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=253512
Some of my favorite art

Aggro. Whether it be big creatures, weenies, tokens, voltron...aggro just does it for me. No spicy tech to share, though. I am a fan of Mass Hysteria.

Currently trying to build something either control or combo based to do something a little different. I really want to build a forced-combat deck (Grand Melee, Fumiko the Lowblood, Avatar of Slaughter) since I love the idea of forcing people to turn their creatures sideways to fight each other but there doesn't appear to be enough cards available to make this a viable thing. I was looking to do this with Saskia or Queen Marchesa. Combat would be forced, but players would be punished for attacking me.

I've also been looking at Breya decks. I guess I'm itching to make a four color deck since I assume there are more options for interaction. Not looking to lock the game down---just do a bunch of noncombat stuff.

so good. the swamps look like a real god damn swamp, not some edgy "its always dark all the time" bullshit.

Say that to my face and not online, then see what happens.

Have fun, landbros

basiclandart.tumblr.com/

I would say chaos if that counts.

I just love playing out spells and enchantments that changes the whole flow of the game in both good and negative ways.

>>What's your favorite archetype and do you have any related spicy tech that you love?

I have come to realize I am an EDH Bogles player. All my favorite decks involve lots of 1/2 CMC auras on hexproof and/or evasive creatures/commanders to hit for lots of fast damage and draw cards off enchantress effects...

i bet you play kaalia.

went landbrowsing for an hour and holy shit, these promo Euro Lands are amazing. This might be my new favourite Swamp.

Here's a general question:

What deck have you most enjoyed playing -against- in your local meta? Either because they pull off amazing reversals, or are generally good sports, or always manage to shake things up. Which of your opponents do you always enjoy a game against?

I know, it's just that I kind of got excited about her because she looks neat and somehow it took me time and effort to realize she's just a value creature

Everyone always talks about how pretty the APAC lands are but the euro ones are way more desireable in my opinion. Guru lands are the only nicer ones.

Is blink/bounce an arcehtype? If so thats what I like.

Yeah the euro lands are beautiful.

Why don't you try this guy?

Do you think it's possible to build Sram in a way that you an storm off drawing your deck into Aetherflux Reservoir? There's not enough 0 drop equips but maybe with 4-5 if you want to go deep with that 5 drop cost reducer? But that's probably still impossible to make enough of the deck equips and consistently get to a reducer in white. I was so excited for this guy when he was revealed but I dont think this deck can work.

The only commanders that use Aetherflux would be shit like Oloro, Sydri or Trostani

I had him as one of the 99 in my hypothetical builds for Queen Marchesa and Saskia. Good card, but I wouldn't want to run him as my general.

Aetherflux is the best storm win in commander because it takes the lowest storm count to kill a table, even less with lots of instants, and can be played before or after storm bff off. So that is patently false.

Lorwyn looks sweet. Theros had some nice plains artwork too.

The Martina Pilcerova Mirrodin lands have always been the most iconic to me even though they're obviously not the sorts of things you'd find in nature.

It's possible using cloudkey and foundry inspector and such

Not sure if th deck itself would work given the constraints of mono white, and the weakness of 0-2 drop equipments in high numbers, but it's definitely possible to storm off in magical christmasland with sram, puresteel, foundry inspector, etc

It's too bad there's no white storm card for the payoff, though the reservoir is a fine choice for the finisher

As said Aetherflux is actually the best anyway. I counted all out reducer which were Foundry, Key, Helm, Anvil, and some ancient one i forget the name of that costs 5 which is a lot. I'm thinking though ignoring that i need a cost reducer of which I can only play 5, how ma y equips would I need to reliably draw enough cards to kill? I need to play mana positive rocks so that's already some dead draws. I wonder how many equips/vehicles id need in total to do it?

>best storm win

Isn't that just Bitter Ordeal?

No? It's not the same kind of play sequence to storm with Ordeal than with tendrils or reservoir.

Am I the only one not feeling the vehicles?
It was the same for the energy for me.
The new grey is a color meme started it all for me.

they are neat, if you are into necrons, but i see so many swamps that is always doom and gloom.

basiclandart.tumblr.com/search/swamp

how many swamps have fog? how many are dark? Both? How many look foreboding? lorwyn ends up looking like a white spot on a black canvas compared to most of them.

Grave storm =\= storm
Aether flux reservoir isn't strictly speaking a storm card with literally the ability storm, but the uniting feature is that the number of spells cast matters

RICHARD
KANE
FERGUSON

Both mechanics are fine to me, but the cards themselves aren't really good enough for the most part

Part of that is just color scheming to make the card extra readable. How many mountains glow red?

But you are right and the variance is definitely nice.

Alright, I'm looking at Breya builds trying to better understand combos. I have a question regarding one of her common infinite combos.

The combo is Breya + Ashnod's Altar/Krark-Clan Ironworks + Nim Deathmantle/Eldrazi Displacer for infinite damage. I am trying to break this down as much as I can, but I'm not seeing how I can possibly get her "deal 3 damage to target player" mode off if she's not on the battlefield when the token sacrifices resolve.

Can any Breya players break down this combo for me?

vehicles are ultimately made for 60 card formats and that is okay.

The cost of breya's ability is 2 generic mana and sacrifice any 2 artifacts

So let's say you cast Breya, she etbs, you have her and 2 thopters, and you also have Ashnod's altar and Nim death mantle in play

You sac 1 of the 2 thopters to Ashnod's altar, floating 2 colorless, then you sac Breya, floating another 2 colorless for 4 total

When Breya dies, Nim death mantle triggers, you use that 4 mana to return her to the battlefield, you get 2 more thopters, now you have 3

Then you sac 1 Thopter and Breya again, floating 4, and recur Breya with death mantle, netting 1 more Thopter

So you can see how this can be repeated for infinite thopters, technically you just choose a really big number, let's say 1 million

So now you have 1 million thopters and Ashnod's altar, you sac 100k to float 200k colorless mana

With your 200k colorless mana, you sac 200k thopters, activate breya's 3 damage to target player ability 100k times, killing all opponents

Sac Breya and one of the thopters for 4 colorless and spend that to attach Deathmantle.

Now you're back where you start with one more thopter.

Do this a million times and you'll have enough thopters to sac for mana and to activate Breya to kill the table.

Alright, I know where my thought process was getting fucked up. I was thinking about doing 3 damage with each sacrifice, and not just amassing a fuckton of thopters and mana first, and then sacrificing them to burn the table. This makes much more sense.

Thanks!

For the eldrazi displacer version (instead of death mantle) the combo works slightly reversed

When Breya etbs you get 2 thopters. You sac them both to Ashnod's altar floating 4 colorless. Use 3 of that to flicker Breya with displacer, now you have 2 thopters again, with 1 colorless still floating

Repeat until you have 1 million colorless mana, now you can flicker Breya 100k times using 300k of that mana, creating 200k thopters, then with your remaining 700k mana you pay 200k mana and sac those 200k thopters to acrivaye breya's ability 100k times

spent way too long browsing lands.. made a top5 from what I could gather during that time.

Anyway.. looks like I like green colours. Any good starter commanders for green, with perhaps a splash for white? I like my tokens.

So there's definitely some combo with Rishkar counter creatures to keep untapping and making mana right?

>favorite archetype
HATE
BEARS

Hey, so I'm trying to make a group hug deck with Sen Triplets. I know it's probably really dumb but I think it could be fun and I'd like to give it a try. The basic plan I want to go with is to set up the general wall of enchantments and throw card draw at everyone and then steal with triplets. looking for any ideas or suggestions, already have most of the group card draw for blue and for artifacts.

>favorite archetype
EIGHT
BEARS

shouldn't they be 16/16?

No, then it'd have to be 16 fucking bears

As grouphug is the designated gay archetype, I'd recommend you stop being a gay.

Thanks senpai

That's pretty good too.

Paradox engine, also from aether revolt

Works better with just normal mana dorks and mana rocks than it does with rishkar's unnecessary set up of +1/+1 counters

However if you plan on running rishkar anyway, then paradox engine is a must have

Honestly paradox engine is so broken it's a must have in a huge number of decks

I'm curious why you think this is bait? Am I not update on all the edh General memes? Is this a super old fag meme?

Honestly it depends. Wi th risbkat youd just play a deck full of dorks but also dudes that come with counters anyway I think. Stuff like modular guys.

Seems like a cool deck

We have this arguement every time.

My friend runs a Snake Tribal deck (Cobra Commander) and had Kruphix as his Commander. He just swapped in Rashmi and the deck performed instantly better.

>Any good starter commanders for green, with perhaps a splash for white? I like my tokens.

edhrec.com/commanders/gw/

Tribal. Goblins, especially.

I don't win much.

Im looking at tariel the reckoner as the next commander i want to build, what are som good directions i could go with her? Also how is she to play against? I have a few decks already but i really want something that is fun to play against instead of just fun for me to play.

Rys, the Redeemed or Trostani would be good.

If you're giving everybody cards, you need to somehow prevent them from using extra cards (plus the ones they will draw normally, as edh decks like to do from sylvan library and Phyrexian arena and mulldrifter, etc) to wreck you

The most effective way of doing this is to attack their mana with MLD, tap down effects like winter orb, and tax effects like lodestone golem

There are some other things you can do though, arcane lab and rule of law will do a good job preventing them from leveraging their extra cards. Run lots of board wipes to get massive X for 1s where you negate a bunch of spells they play with just one of yours. For a similar reason, hate effects like torpor orb and protection effects like fountain watch can leave your opponents with full hands but few relevant cards

Question,

how does one make a Sliver Hivelord deck with less than 15 Slivers?

buy the ones you don't have

I have them all.

Just trying to make the deck more streamline.

Go Sliver Overlord instead so you can at least tutor.

>deck with 40 lands
>miss 5 land drops in a row

How do you not win with Goblins?

Decklist?

Pic related is surprisingly good.

Hidden gem tier

Is it that good if you have to keep paying 5 mana every time you want to pop something?

Definitely not for every list, but the repeatability is solid in multiplayer.

Any of you fellows thinking of making the legendaries spoiled in AER into commanders or using them in the 99?

probably gonna put the green one in my mazirek deck

>How do you not win with Goblins?

I tend to construct decks with what I have, rather than special-ordering singles. My friends have Swords, for example, and I don't. There's not a lot of jank or game winning combos; if I go big and don't win, I'm S.O.L.

I'm not always first one out, but I'm not usually last one standing. My friends' decks are generally more consistent.

So I lose by being a mediocre player and deckbuilder. Feel free to make suggestions, of course.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/do-the-goblin-wave/