Weird West Discussion

Hey tg.
I'm planning on running a game in Pathfinder set in a pulp weird west setting. Does this sound like a good idea?

I'm looking for any ideas, suggestions, or pictures.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TyXLJsO_ulw
youtube.com/watch?v=FvY9akXFUko
youtube.com/watch?v=yrO9ovdJ5WA
youtube.com/watch?v=-y3h9p_c5-M
youtube.com/watch?v=rIvfVyyqTDI
youtube.com/watch?v=omG-hZfN6zk
youtube.com/watch?v=UHbcU5ArqBQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Ipinrujp5sk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Running Pathfinder
>Weird West
For what purpose?

I'm very familiar with the system, and like weird west and pulp.

Any better systems for it?

Not OP but it's simple, they know pathfinder well enough as a system that they are comfortable and happy with it

And they're willing take the risk that it's not properly balanced

Inertia, laziness, ignorance, sunk cost fallacy, complacency, sadism, masochism, a false sense of superiority, lunacy, bureaucracy, desperation and some other possible reasons.

ye - haw!

Deadlands, Savage Worlds, Aces & Eights.

And probably GURPS.

Deadlands reloaded

Also le gurps meme

Savage Worlds

Not using Pathfinder, it doesn't. The first stage of the Wild Western fantasy game I run was in Pathfinder, partially inspired by shit like the spellslinger and holy gun. It's a great genre and a lot of fun, but Pathfinder was definitely the worst possible ruleset and it's part of why I moved on so quickly during that stage. Yes, you can do it. No, you probably shouldn't.

If you really want to keep it to a d20, you have options. Hell, it's what I'm using. But if you are starting from the scratch, play something like Deadlands, Fate, Savage World, Dogs, etc.

But given the Pathfinder mention in OP and that pic as well, I'm assuming this is a bait thread?

OP here.
Actually not a bait thread. I sort of want the setting to be sort of based on the Knights of Cydonia music video.

Gotcha. Well, follow your bliss. I've been running Wild Western fantasy off-and-on for... shit, five years or so, and three different RPGs. Just follow your bliss and play what you think your group will enjoy. If everyone's good with Pathfinder, ignore my monkey ass and play Pathfinder.

But if you're going to be playing Pathfinder or 5E or really anything that isn't a originally Western RPG like Deadlands or Dogs in the Vineyard, do not be afraid of homebrewing like a motherfucker. Hell, my current party is... two out of four homebrew races, two out of four homebrew classes.

At this point I'm just taking all selections.
My group loves Pathfinder, I'm indifferent towards it.

So I'll be taking a serious look at all of these systems.

Taking all suggestions** stupid auto correct

Gotcha. Well, remember the standard difficulty in getting people to play shit that they don't already. Inertia is real with RPG players, and I can almost guarantee that only half of your players will ever read the rulebooks for other RPGs, and fewer still will read them thoroughly. Not all groups have this problem, but it is a very real issue. Deadlands, Aces and Eights, Dogs would probably be easiest to introduce groups to because you aren't dropping Savage Worlds and supplements on them, for example.

Also, running what is familiar to you can really help with the homebrewing that I was talking about.

And while I might sound like a troll, my Wild Western Fantasy world started with Pathfinder, moved into 4E for three years or so, and finally updated to 5E recently. Anything can work if you are willing to work on it to make it fit, some just require more elbow grease than others.

Deadlands looks really cool.
Savage Worlds actually looks exciting.
Thanks for the advice, friend

Mood Music:
SURF

youtube.com/watch?v=TyXLJsO_ulw
youtube.com/watch?v=FvY9akXFUko
youtube.com/watch?v=yrO9ovdJ5WA
youtube.com/watch?v=-y3h9p_c5-M
skip to 1:16 for the next one, some little faggot dropped his rant on rock history up front
youtube.com/watch?v=rIvfVyyqTDI
youtube.com/watch?v=omG-hZfN6zk
youtube.com/watch?v=UHbcU5ArqBQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Ipinrujp5sk

>zero Ralph Stanley
Kill yourself, friendo.

No problem. Mine Deadlands for inspiration, Savage Worlds for the actual skeleton would be my recommendation.

I've tried doing this before, OP, and it's really going to depend on your group. Be prepared to do a lot of tweaking and tinkering with the system to make it work.

I'll post some pics for you OP

I would also suggest googling Wyrd. Has a lot of good art and inspiration.

Through the Breach

Hey thanks

I love this one