Veeky Forums, let's talk reading material...

Veeky Forums, let's talk reading material. I'm getting myself an ereader and I'm gonna load it up with as much pulpy trash as I can. Here's what's on the list so far, I'd like you to help me add to it.

H Rider Haggard: Allan Quartermain
E R Burroughs, Tarzan, john carter, amtor
Howard, Conan
Chandler
Asimov
Bradbury
Lovecraft
Hornblower
Dunsany, sword of welleran
Fritz Lieber, Grey Mouser and Fafhrd
Moorcock, elric of melnibone
Tolstoy, aelita
Ralph Farley, Radio Man
John Lange/Norman, gor out of sheer curiosity, I swear
Dray Prescott series mushroom-ebooks.com/authors/akers/akers.html
Leigh bracket, Eric stark

Have some Frazetta for your troubles.

I don't know how that image ended up spoilered.

At least for Moorcock, might as well read Hawkmoon and Corum while you're at it.

Charles Stross has some good books.

Both added along with 1632, which I just remembered I've never read. Thanks lads.

More random book suggestions, Lord of Light, and Nine Princes in amber, both by Roger Zelezsny.

Bumping with Dune and Tolkien in case you're a pleb

I'm every book thread I always suggest Terry Pratchett, on the basis that everyone should at least try and read Discworld once in their lives.

Robert Sheckley

Hornblower and Asimov, I can kiiiinda see lumping in with the trashy pulp. But...Tolstoy? What?

I would skip Gor. Slavery/BDSM in a fantasy setting IS my Magical Realm and I still can't recommend it. It's really terrible.

As trashy shit goes, I quite liked the early Sano Ichiro books. It's about a samurai who keeps getting called on to solve crimes for the Shogun, except he's pretty terrible at it.

Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson should also be there. Play Dirty by John Wick if you want to go toward the gaming route.

This list largely came out of a wikipedia train. Apparently CS Forrester published some stuff in pulp mags, and Tolstoy was on the "sword and planet" entry. Aelina is apparently about communists on Venus or something and it sounds wonderfully insane.

Why is she shitting on that cat?

>every thread

Bumping for an answer to this question

>Howard, Conan

You're forgetting mother fucking Solomon Kane.

Pratchett

While I don't consider it trash myself, the Parker series by Richard Stark (Pseudonym of Donald Westlake) is really great, hardboiled, and at times darkly funny, and pretty damn pulpy. It's not fantasy, but it's good. Each book follows a heist from beginning to end, usually planned out by the series protagonist, Parker, who is a serious professional, and pretty goddamn great. They also have a unique cast of characters for the other people on the heist, and you can easily see this as RPG party. To a lesser extent, the Alan Grofield books, which spun off from Parker, are also good, but are different in tone since the Protagonist is more Roguish and each book, save the last, has him getting caught up in international intrigue.

The Dortmunder books, by the same author under his real name (Donald Westlake) is also good, but it's almost the opposite of Parker in terms of Tone. They also follow a professional, serious, Thief, but he's usually surrounded by lunatics and all of his jobs go wrong, and they're hilarious. The first book, The Hot Rock, has him and his crew (Which is ever changing from job to job, like Parker) stealing the same gem three times in three different locations because they keep stealing and losing it. Dortmunder also isn't as calm and collected as Parker and is very much an underdog before the deck gets stacked against him.

You also might as well throw some Harlan Ellison in there. Vic and Blood, Delusions for a Dragon Slayer, I Have No Mouth But I Must Scream, etc, are all well worth the read.

You should also try out "Who Goes There?" by John W. Campbell. It's what The Thing From Another World and John Carpenter's The Thing are baed on.

Some of Philip K. Dick's works are pretty pulpy. Check out The Hanging Stranger, Second Variety, The Skull, Total Recall, The Variable Man, and Minority Report. Total Recall is actually pretty comedic, and Minority Report is totally different from the movie adaptation and so much better.

E.E."Doc" Smith: Lensman series and Skylark series.
Both very pulp.

Heroes Die/Acts of Caine series by Matthew Stover.

The man's got a talent for low fantasy and written violence. The setting's like what happens after the DnD campaign finishes and common people start to become aware their lives are fucked because PCs are murderhobos.

Skip Prachett, OP. He's not really pulp nor is it good.