>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous Thread no clever question because previous thread at the edge of page 10

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/QoELQ7px9ws
dandwiki.com/wiki/5e_Feats
dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/tales-yawning-portal
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

5e is adequate, but that's about it.

What's your character favorite fruit?

>Grumpy, barely 5 foot tall TN human Blue Dragon Sorc
Probably apples. The sour kind.

goodberries

Pomegranate, he loves to peck at the seeds

I hate pomegranate IRL

What kind of gay question is this?

I will use it to determine your stating attribute point. Your answer mean you got -2 CHA btw. Maybe -2 CON too, since your PC probably didn't have enough vitamin to be healthy.

The sort that gets asked when the previous thread falls off the board but there isn't really anything substantive to discuss.

Since we're stuck, here's something:
youtu.be/QoELQ7px9ws

Oh shit, a person presenting themselves as an expert in RPGs! And saying nice things about 4e!?

I actually think he's got some really good points in this video. Steal mechanics from 4e wherever possible, they're good mechanics. I particularly like keeping the Bloodied condition, just to make hit points very very slightly less woolly.

>2009+8
>still falling for the "your character is you" meme

>what rapier was made for
>dex alternative for bards or rangers who need one hand free for spells

>what rapier is used for
>wait so you're telling me I can go full dex dump, use a rapier and a shield with a breatplate and have like like 19 armor

rogues, too

Have you ever used an improvised weapon?

Why would you wear medium armor with full DEX?

Also, yes, shield and rapier is a thing. Look up "swashbuckler". Clue's in the fact that it includes the word Buckler.

No, it isn't worth it, due to 1d4.

Because you can have as much AC as full plate for half the cost and no stealth disadvantage with Medium Armor Master?

New player here. I posted the other day asking help about my fighter and using the homebrew feats from dandwiki, not knowing how ridiculous they were. I told my DM about them and for whatever reason he didn't bat an eye. He's been playing for over 15 years too apparently. My DM also has a house rule allowing a feat every 3 levels, as a variant human I start with 2, then get my 3rd at level 3, and my 4th at level 5, etc. I want to make an extremely strong fighter with the homebrew feats so I hope you guys are willing to help me. Someone also posted this a couple days ago but unfortunately I can't make heads or tails of it. Or perhaps something else entirely. Thanks.
>two-weapon-master feat and extra attacker feat by level 4 because variant human or something, also the fighting style to add dex to your second hit
>+1 AC
>you make an extra attack whenever you take the 'attack' action
>you get an extra attack if you hit with your bonus action two-weapon-fighting attack
>you can choose to take -5 to hit on each attack for +10 to damage
>be level 4
>make 4 fucking +10 damage attacks, each dealing 1d6+DEXMOD as well
>action surge for 6 attacks
>6 fucking attacks at level 4, not even using reactions

dandwiki.com/wiki/5e_Feats

Seriously, why would anyone leave their off hand unoccupied if they were in a serious fight? Fencing is a sport, you use a single one handed sword because the whole point is to exploit your opponent's openings before they do the same to you. Both contestants could turn up in a full suit of armor, or with assault rifles, if they wanted to be practical.

Fair point about mages who need one hand free, though. Blatantly supernatural made-up rules are one way to make fencing into a practical martial art.

Which is better to grab first for a Shillelagh Cleric, PAM or Sentinel?

True. I'd rather spend the feat on something else, personally (such as the TWF feat that also boosts your AC by one), but that works.

Good lord, captcha, leave me alone. Five checks is too many.

Go arcana cleric, pick up GFB and sword burst. Then pick up magic initiate for shilellagh, plus whatever else.

Always shillelagh GFB. Then at level 8 add wisdom to your attacks.

Then go warcaster

to grab you opponent, to grab a side weapon from your belt to suprise your opponent.

Any good character builder out there?

Chopping Lumber builds character.

So does the Fifth Edition Character Sheet app or android and ipad.

Thief who needs a free hand to use his batbelt

You dont need PAM as Cleric. Your bonus action should be spend on spiritual weapon attack.

Batmind.

Anyone else wish you could draw a dagger and stab someone in the middle of a sword fight? Rogues would benefit from a second chance at their sneak attack for the round, but both drawing a weapon and making a TWF attack are Bonus Actions, and you only get one.

dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/tales-yawning-portal
TOMB OF FUCKING HORRORS

TIME TO KILL SOME PLAYERS.

I had a goblin try to assassinate a player of mine while they were sleeping. She managed to struggle and disarm the goblin before beating it to unconsciousness with a fiddle she'd recently purchased.

That seems damn good from an offensive perspective but I was looking to make myself as durable as possible and Arcana doesn't get heavy armor. I could take medium armor but I'm making the not so good choice of dump-stat DEX (partially for character theme). I could do a few levels of Paladin for character theme though I suppose.

Basically the goal isn't so much dealing raw damage as it is being a major problem for the enemies attacking my allies with opportunity attacks and generally being hueg and getting in the way.

Drawing a weapon is a free action.

my players aren't even ready for published adventures yet let alone tomb of horrors

I had a player who was a Drunken Master Monk, they get bonuses in usimg improvised weapons so he was always doing it. Worst damage output in the whole party.

Other than the rules, what should I know before making my first character?

I ran in an AL campaign with the staff of defense (+1 AC and 5 charges of shield per day) with a ring of protection (+1 to AC and saves) from the starter set. I'm about as durable as they get.

But sentinel would be a good choice if you are trying to get people to attack you instead. If you are MC'ing then go fighter so you aren't quite as MAD. You also get CON saves for insane spells like Spirit Guardians, while in combat. That would draw lots of aggro from mobs.

The tone of the campaign.

>dissing Matt Colville
Nigga, Matt is pretty fucking great

That 4e is a very good product your group should consider playing instead.

session 0

also, legolas is a fighter, aragorn is a ranger

I've toyed around with the idea of doing a campaign similar to the Doom games for my friends, literally a murderhobo's wet dream. Any first impressions on if this could be done well?

What the game is going to be. Dungeon crawl, classic adventure, sandbox, political kingmaking. If you are running around in dungeons a lot, making a master puppeteer isn't that useful.

Don't make it a murderhobo's wetdream. It will get dull over the months. Make it have a bunch of twists and turns so on the outside it is kill everything but in actuality they have to find clues and put things together.

Unless you don't expect it to last long.

Damn, I hope we get a proper remake of the Caves of Chaos, and maybe Rahasia.

Doom has fast paced and rewarding combat that feels visceral and fun. Are you sure you think you can replicate that with 5e of all things?

>I stand still and attack
>I stand still and cast a spell
>I stand still and make a ranged attack
>I stand still and attack.

Wow. Much doom.

4e trolls in the thread aside, I would use 4e for that. Or at least lift the concept of minions to keep fights fluid.

Damn. Color me interested.

Why are you happy about the least interesting title on the list? Oh yay a trap filled dungeon. How bout we go find that fucking spaceship?

Expedition to Barrier Peaks isn't in it.

So, one of my players wants to play as a Hammer of Moradin, throwing hammers and stuff.
I've told him to play a paladin of vengeance and I'd figure something out for the hammer throwing shenanigans.
I'm torn between giving him an uncommon magic item that requires attunement and lets him do it (Basically a Dwarven Thrower without all the bonuses) or creating a fighting style doing the same, that way he'd have to choose this style over +1AC or Duelist.
What do you guys think, balanced or not? Also, they are level 2 and just starting the campaign.

Anyone?

The video mentions boss AoE effects, and I have a story.

>5e campaign in a modern setting
>be me, ex-eco-terrorist EK with an AK-47 and a bag of guns
>party has a warlock, necromancer, cleric, paladin/warlock, and roguelock
>18th level, fighting Asmodeus in the center of the sun (long story)
>Asmodeus stands at the other end of a 200ft bridge with the sun boiling away to either side
>step forward
you take ten fire damage
>but I'm resistant
nuh uh not against this heat, and it increases by 10 every 10 feet
>party does some math and realizes if we run forward, some of us might reach the boss with barely any hp left (and die the following round)
>I shoot at him
the magnetic field of the sun whips your bullet away
>start thinking that this is some bullshit
>whole party stands there awkwardly for like ten minutes
>cleric opens a gate behind the badguy
>reach through, grab plot macguffin from the surface of the sun
>40d6 fire damage, lose arm
>roguelock teleports away, drops macguffin in the ocean, teleports back
>1 round later, BBEG Wishes macguffin back into place
>almost walk out right there

Kek

>it increases by 10 every 10 feet
>magnetic field of the sun whips your bullet away
>yfw

I thought there was one in White Plum Mountain too.

Did he tell you what he wanted?

>I'm torn between giving him an uncommon magic item that requires attunement and lets him do it (Basically a Dwarven Thrower without all the bonuses)

Do this, it's less hassle and throwing weapons are far from overpowered.

e campaign in a modern setting
Nothing about what you said sounds like 5e rules except the classes mentioned. That sounds like an asshole DM.

I think the main thing about DOOM is, actually, survival. You are just a Marine trapped in a planet where everything is going to hell (literally). So i'd think the main focus would be to convey that feeling of helplessness, but also the need to face it with violence and not cleverness.

We're playing storm kings thunder

What was he trying to get you to do?

You are still going to want to know the tone. As written, there are some ridiculously silly and some serious murder face parts in SKT. You can play RP heavy or Loot pinata dungeon crawling. A session 0 is gonna be your best bet.

>Old human wandering wizard Merlin/Gandalf ripoff
I feel he would like pears

ooooooohhhh buddy I have horror stories from that campaign that you won't believe. Lemme give you a taste:

>BBEG had infinite wishes
>half of the plot was resolved by macguffins from past campaigns, despite half the players being new to the table
>all three plot-related superweapons are only wieldable by NPCs
>magic either did or didn't work, depending almost entirely on the DMs wishes

>my first character, a paladin/warlock, was ripped from his fantasy universe to this one
>I ask the DM if I can learn some modern magic UA spells
yes, but it'll take a while
>next session, dm's friend shows up with a paladin warlock who knows modern spells
>also has wings and truesight
>DM is fine with this

Your DM sounds like the most absolute kind of cunt.

So the party can survive in the plasma core of the sun, which is 150 times more dense than water and about 265 million bar pressure, with nothing even resembling breathable oxygen, but the fucking HEAT is what gets you?

Why the shit-sucking Christ did he even allow that your gun would fire under such conditions? Anton Kalashnikov's rifle design may have been divinely inspired, but it strains even my disbelief that even a magical version could fire in the core of the sun.

I mean fucking hell, if he wants to play hyper-real simulationist faggot, then he should do it to the absolute T's. Or, you could have REALLY gotten into a game of 'nuh-uh!'s and said your bullets were a non-ferrous metal, and therefore could not be magnetized.

Fuck your GM. Fuck him with a hot iron poker in his eye.

After looking over the options I'm undecided on which direction I want to go for my hueg beatstick Cleric.

>Firbolg and at least 1 level of druid for background

>Druid 1/Life 19
>Focus more on being big and not dying with healing/keeping allies alive

>Paladin 2/Druid 1/Arcana Cleric 17
or
>Fighter 1/Druid 1/Arcana 18
>Focus more on shitting out damage (Or at least as much as a Cleric can), Paladin one using Smites probably only when using the slot would be better than using a Cleric spell (ie: Thunderous Smite a nigga into a pit of spikes), probably take Dueling with either one

The thing is, he'll surely want to smite with it and RAW he can't. Since it's cool I want to let him do it (up to 20ft), but maybe that's unbalanced, so I considered making him choose it over the other fighting styles.

The badguy or the DM?

The badguy was trying to unlock another badguy from her prison in the center of the sun. The macguffin was the key he was using.

I have no idea what the DM wanted. Our eventual solution was to have the marysue put on his power armor (some bullshit), which made him like CR 25, have the warlock polymorph him into a gold dragon, which then shapeshifted into a high level sorceror and wished for all of us to be immune to magic. This worked somehow, despite all of our other magical resistances and immunities not working.

So it is. I'd misread that section, it seems. I suppose drawing two weapons is an action, unless you take that one feat.

Neat. Any future Rogue I play is going to Jaime Lannister people when he misses with his attack action.

Make that a power of the item he has to quest to unlock.

Personally I'm fine with thrown weapon Smites, though that's mostly because of a certain vidya game influencing that decision.

Or you could wear light armor, not waste a feat, and have AC that's even better once you hit 20 Dex.

>So the party can survive in the plasma core of the sun
we were on a magically shielded platform that was suspended in the center of the sun. except for the part that wasn't shielded because fuck you.
>Why the shit-sucking Christ did he even allow that your gun would fire under such conditions?
It was magical. Otherwise it would've been dissolved by the rust demon we fought in the first room.

Make it explicit he has to exemplify the ideals of some mythical person who first wielded the item to unlock its full potential. Then the quest doesn't have to be a complete sidetrack that's boring for the other players, but it gives him a roleplaying challenge to meet in order to earn his rule-bending item.

Simple things like that don't need new fighting styles.

If your main thing is being a beatstick, why be a cleric at all? Just be an ancients paladin.

>1 level of druid for background
Dude, backgrounds and classes are different things.

>Plate is 18 AC (20 with Shield)
>Half-Plate with Medium Armor Master is 18 AC (20 with Shield)
>Studded Leather with 20 DEX is 17 AC (19 with Shield)
???

Are you sure you aren't thinking of 3e? And even then, that only applies to Full Attacks. No one has been required to plant their feet to be effective since 4e fixed that issue and 5e kept the fix.

Now, a lot of DnD environments have no real reason for the player to move about, but that's the GM's encounter design rather than the system.

We need more info. What is it that you want to capture about of Doom? Currently we're guessing.

Thanks, I was worried having a ranged paladin could become troublesome. But I guess 20ft attacks won't break anything.

Great idea, we're playing Storm King's Thunder, so I'll have him be able to do the smiting part after he's killed a giant.

kek

Hmm. I presented my players with an overwhelmingly powerful bbeg. I did it from the start, with defined rules for why he was powerful.

I was hoping my players would treat it more like a puzzle, and come up with something creative that they could use to beat it. Just in case, I wrote a macguffin into the plot that they could use to lower the power level of the bbeg in a way that made sense, and bring it down to their level.

I was pretty satisfied when they used the macguffin in a way that I didn't expect, but that made sense, and resolved the entire campaign without finishing the boss fight.

Hopefully I'm not as bad as center of the sun guy. The players seemed to have fun.

5e discourages movement through two features: lack of hazard creation/manipulation built into the classes and monsters, and opportunity attacks being too good.

A few reasons, mostly just that Cleric fits the character better than a Paladin. I've already made the character backstory and all that jazz, now I'm stuck trying to get a class/multiclass that fits them.

How did they solve it? What would they have done otherwise?

WHAT IS
>Evasive maneuvers
>Mobility feat
>SENTINEL feat
>Rogue bonus actions
>Misty fucking step
>DISENGAGE

Are you retarded?

stat me

You forgot
>Shocking Grasp
>Arms of Hadar

Human Wizard, with the bespoke disadvantage of only having one hand. Good with a sword, so maybe multiclass or Bladesinger.

wrong

>what's your character's favorite fruit
>not imposing punishment as DM to players who don't play along
I bet you just let your PCs murder the king of an influential kingdom without even having swarms of guards coming after them to kill them.

Bbeg was a guy who united all possible versions of himself across the multiverse in a telepathic evil hive mind. He wielded incredible destructive power, as any time he was threatened, he could just have his other bodies open gates to the elemental plane of fire and his current location, vaporizing everything.

So I made as a safety valve a crystal prism that could trap souls in it. Whatever happened to the souls inside it happened to all other versions of that soul outside it. The players could trap one of the bbegs bodies in it, go in, have a traditional boss fight.

Instead, they explicitly found the dumbest version of the bbeg across the universe, trapped him, went in, convinced him to let them kill him, in exchange for resurrecting just him later, outside of the prism. That let him be free of all those other dicks that were him, and live a more peaceful life.

I figured if the players didn't find the macguffin, they would have united every version of themselves across the multiverse against him, and started a multiversal war for the final boss fight.

The is more of a "this could be fun" thought I had one day instead of something fleshed out. I'd imagine trying to capture the sense of weaving through waves of enemies while mowing them down with weapons. As some anons mentioned the mentality of survival is used a lot so I'd figure about making the environment hazardous so the players would also having to worry about not being killed by their surrounds and/or try to piece together a way to stop things from going to hell in a hand basket. It wouldn't be a grand epic campaign, maybe more of a medium sized one

Question: How much would you charge a player to upgrade his gun from 1d12 piercing to 2d12 and double the range?
Also, how much to enchant it to +2?
Separately, how much much would it cost to put a +1d6 elemental damage to the weapon?

Evasive footwork is a waste of damage, as most of the options you listed are. In fact, every option cuts into your damage really.

Same.

How would you rule combining mundane items?

Poisoned caltrops?
Oiled ball bearings?
Bag of mixed ball bearings and caltrops?
Flask filled with equal parts oil, caltrops and ball bearings?
Using a sling to throw alchemist's fire?
Strapping flint and tinder to the jaws of a hunting trap in a pool of oil?
Poisoning a hunting trap?

I'm playing a thief and I wanna be the kid from home alone

>1d12 to 2d12 and double range
at least 100k gold

Then maybe you could start thinking of other ways of settiling matters rather than hurting your PCs or attacking, I'm sure they'll catch on, eventually.

>Then maybe you could start thinking of other ways of settiling matters rather than hurting your PCs or attacking, I'm sure they'll catch on, eventually.

I have. I've stopped running traditional combat almost entirely.

I understand that the cost would be exponentially increased as damage increases, but still

>Sunless Citadel
My nostalgia boner!

>1d12 to 2d12 and double range
The original price of the gun plus ~1k gp for basically turning it into a brand new one, plus he would have to get better ammo (5-10g a pop) and it would reduce magazine capacity significantly if it has any
>Enchant it to +2
DMG says about 5k gp for a rare magic item so about that much for enchanting it
>+1d6 elemental damage
DMG says about 50k gp for a very rare magic item like frost brand, so about that much

All in all I would round it up to an even 60,000 gold, plus a quest to find a legendary gunsmith, followed by a trial of worth by said gunsmith